  Re: Linux Joke ("Chad Myers")

From: "Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Subject: Re: Linux Joke
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2001 05:03:34 GMT

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED].
com...
> Why does the average windows user replace all his software everytime
> microsoft releases a new major version of their operating systems?
>
> Because the old software will run like shit.

Kinda like why everyone is clamoring for Linux 2.4 because 2.2
runs like shit.

It's all the same. You're not any better than anyone else, really,
so stop being an arrogant and ignorant prick.

-Chad

------------------------------

From: "GreyCloud" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.lang.c
Subject: Re: Something Seemingly Simple.
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2001 21:17:15 -0800

"Steve Mading" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:986hv4$br6$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In comp.os.linux.advocacy GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> : "Steve Mading" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> : news:983k3e$him$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> :> In comp.os.linux.advocacy Edward Rosten <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> :> :> That's a bit like saying "You are allowed
> :> :> to drive as fast as you feel like in the US", without mentioning the
> :> :> qualifier "In Montana, during the daylight."
> :>
> :>
> :> : Csn you? I sem to remember speed limits there?
> :>
> :> My example may be out of date.  When the federal government recently
> :> allowed states to set their own speed limits on some highways (removing
> :> the 65 mph federal limit), Montana, being a state with lots of open
> :> empty land, removed the speed limit altogether on some highways.  That
> :> was a few years ago.  I haven't kept up to date on what has happened
> :> since then.
> :>
> : They set the speed limit to 75.  Their roads aren't all that great for
any
> : higher speeds.
>
> Okay, then.  Change my example to "It's like saying you are allowed
> to drive 75 mph in the US", when this is really only true in limited
> areas of the US.

Sorry,  looks like my ISP has given me so many broken threads that its hard
to tell what I've
missed here.

------------------------------

From: "Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2001 05:06:26 GMT

"Dave" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On Wed, 07 Mar 2001 13:56:35 GMT, "Chad Myers"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >I've always maintained that Linux must have an EZ-HACK feature, judging
> >by the ease in which "hackers" compromised entire university computer
> >labs for their DDoS assault on Ebay, Amazon, Microsoft and several
> >others last summer. It was reported that a large majority of the
> >machines used in the attack were compromised Linux boxes.
>
> I once heard a university sysop say on the firewalls group that he had
> so many "wannabe hacker brats" (his term) INSIDE the network, that the
> firewall was more a way to protect the Internet from the students than
> vice versa. He said everyone had just given up on security because
> they had so many users and rather than hiring permanent professionals
> the university got computer science students to do short stints.
>
> Not even linux is secure if you don't make an effort.

Which is what I have maintained all along.

There are those in COLA who would have you believe that Linux is
the most secure OS every invented and silly things like auditing
and DAC are not necessary in Linux because it's simply OpEn S0uRcE
and it's l33t or some other bullshit nonsense.

They are spoonfed from /. that Linux is somehow superior than
all other OSen so they feel safe in bashing everything, including
Windows because Linux isn't a glass house.

I'm merely making an effort to educate these rather clueless
individuals that Linux is no better than anything else and that
there are easily as many (percentage-wise) vulnerable Linux
systems as there are NT/2K boxes.

-C