From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Games? Who cares about games?
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 03:58:53 -0500

Edward Rosten wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:
> >
> > Chris Lee wrote:
> > >
> > > In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > > says...

> > > out of

> > > Nope. Alpha Centauri is a pale copy of the wargames that's being talked
> > > about here. A serious Wargamer wouldn't touch Alpha Centauri with a ten-foot
> > > pole.
> >
> > Speaking of such, I'm playing with an idea for being able to re-create
> > ANY traditional board-wargame out there.
> >
> > the idea is that ever component of the game is an independant process,
> > and all interactions between units (and the map board itself) are done
> > via interprocess communication (probably named pipes).
>
> Sounds interesting, and it is an idea I have thought about.
> I think message passing is probably better, since otherwise you'd have
> to have a pipe from every object to every object, which would rack up
> pretty rapidly. Message passing requires that each object just has 1
> message key, which would be substantially lower on resources.

I thought about that...that's why I specify NAMED PIPES appearing in
the filesystem....each process has just ONE "input" pipe...any process
sending a message to it starts with a preamble.

a) identity of calling process
b) number of bytes of data in (C)
c) "message" plus ctrl-W (ETB = End Transmission Block)

As long as (a) + (b) + (c) are all put into one write(2) call, then
there shouldn't be any problems with collisions, as any write(2) to
an fd is supposed to be completed before anothere write(2) to the same fd.

> Just a thought
>
> -Ed
>

> > ANYBODY interested in pursuing this, e-mail me.
>
> --
> Did you know that the reason that windows steam up in cold|Edward Rosten
> weather is because of all the fish in the atmosphere?     |u98ejr
>         - The Hackenthorpe Book of lies                   |@
>                                                           |eng.ox.ac.uk

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.help,linux.redhat
Subject: Re: I am preparing to teach a Linux class and I am soliciting advice
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 04:00:49 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> On 23 Jan 2001 21:21:00 GMT, Adam Schuetze <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >On Tue, 23 Jan 2001 03:03:30 GMT,  T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >>
> >> BTW, does anyone know of a good "regular old high end" free
> >> wordprocessor?  I don't want a suite; just a wordprocessor!
>
>         A query against freshmeat.net might not be out of the
>         question either.
>

> >You could try Corel Wordperfect 8 for linux.  Standalone word
> >processor.
> >
> >I've had limited experience with it.  Once I discovered LaTeX, I
> >dumped word processors.
> >
> >But from what I recall, it seemed to work quite well.
> [deletia]
>
> --
>
>   >
>   > ...then there's that NSA version of Linux...
>
>   This would explain the Mars polar lander problem.
>
>                                         Kyle Jacobs, COLA

You mean  "Kyle Jacobs, resident idiot of COLA"

>                                                                / | \

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why "uptime" is important.
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 04:05:08 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> On Tue, 23 Jan 2001 16:28:01 -0500, Mark Styles <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >>      I don't recall office 4.2 being particularly nice with a mere
> >>      32M, nevermind what a current version of office must be like
> >>      on such a machine...
> >
> >The machine I've been given on my current contract is a crappy old
> >compaq P166, with 32Mb RAM, running Windows 95. It struggles with
> >Access, but it runs MS Word and Excel quite smoothly (after waiting
> >about 5 minutes for them to start up, I admit). Most of the time
>
>         <nelson> Ha Ha! </nelson>
>
> >though it runs as an X terminal with Exceed so I don't have to see any
> >of that win 95 nastiness.

> >>      Clean the sofa and go buy a decent amount of memory.
> >
> >One of the things I've always liked about Linux, and other Unixes, is
> >the fact that you can often do twice (make that three or four times!)
> >as much as Windows in half as much memory. Now that bloatware like
> >Netscape and Star Office is appearing, that no longer seems to be the
> >case.
>
> [deletia]
>
>         That's what happens when you opt for the Microsoft
>         way of doing things. Although, it's not like RAM is
>         $50/M any more.

Or $500 for 16k.

> --
>
>         Finding an alternative should not be like seeking out the holy grail.
>
>         That is the whole damn point of capitalism.
>                                                                / | \

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 3100 W2K Adv Servers deployed accross Europe
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 04:08:33 -0500

nuxx wrote:

> > Does this come with win2K
> >
> Ships with w2k and has been in the NT resource kit for as long as I can
> remember.  There lots of useful command line utilities in the resource kit,
> many now ship with the core product.  They all should as far as I'm
> concerned.
>
> > For better or worse, IMHO Windows seems to slowly becoming more like
> > UNIX. Persnally, I think this is a good thing. If anything, despite
> > always pushing a GUI strongly, MS seem to have increased the command
> > line abilities of recent Windows versions.
> >
> I agree and think that MS have realised the big mistake they've made in
> pushing the GUI so strongly and not keeping the CLI up to scratch.  Dumbing
                                  ^^^^^^^^^^^

You misspelled "NEVER getting"

> down the system helped them get market share early on, which was good thing
> for them but people are now finding it's limitiations in large systems.
> They are definately improving things with Windows Scripting Host and the
                                            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Oh god, yet another big fucking huge KLUGE for a simple task.

> like.
>
> > -Ed
>
> nuxx

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 04:09:15 -0500

Mark Styles wrote:

> On Wed, 24 Jan 2001 01:51:22 -0000, [EMAIL PROTECTED] () wrote:
> [big snip]
> >       I'm also curious what exactly you do to make Applix crash.
>
> Converting MS Office files (excel spreadsheets) into Applix format,
> failed every time, sometimes dumping core, sometimes just sitting
> there doing nothing.

Liar.

By definition, Converting files is NOT "doing nothing"

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 04:13:02 -0500

Jan Johanson wrote:

> While little MiG tries to impress with some brochure sites...
>
> MediaWave is deploying over 3,100 windows 2000 advanced servers all over
> europe to handle multimillions of simultaneous audio and video streams.
>
> Talk about demanding! Is there even a streaming server available for linux?

Piffle.

"streaming server" =

1) "open file...
2) read bytes from disk....
3) push pipes down the network pipe.....
4) goto 2

> http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2001/Jan01/01-22MediaWavePR.asp

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 04:14:34 -0500

Chad Myers wrote:

> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > On Wed, 24 Jan 2001 02:48:14 GMT, Chad Myers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> > >
> > >"Steve Mading" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > >news:94kpnb$13e0$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > >Have you seen Windows terminal services?
> >
> > What difference would that make?
> >
> > At best,even swallowing Microsoft's own propaganda, it
> > would only buy you faster visual connectivity on low
> > bandwidth connections.
> >
> > OTOH, it is particular to Microsoft. Whereas telnet/X/ssh
> > clients and servers are widely available on multiple
> > platforms from VMS to Macintosh.
>
> Which doesn't matter much since 90+% of the machines out
> there are running Windows anyhow.

Yeah....the UNIMPORTANT ones.

Ever notice how the IMPORTANT machines (servers) are either
IBM Mainframes, or something running UNIX.

> -Chad

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Win -> Linux becoming easier than ever!
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 04:17:57 -0500

sfcybear wrote:

> http://www.telekomnet.com/writer_telekomnet/1-23-01_virtual_SuSE.asp
>
> Gotta love it!

Another nail in old Bill's coffin.

> Sent via Deja.com
> http://www.deja.com/

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Does Code Decay
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 04:20:09 -0500

Russ Lyttle wrote:

> I'm cross posting this to the linux and nt groups as it seems pertinant
> to both.
>
> Recently MS had a lowkey campaign to get customers to replace NT with
> W2k because Nt  suffered from code decay. I came across an article "Does
> Code Decay? Assessing the Evidence from Change Management Data" by
> Stephen G. Eick, on the IEEE site. You can get the article at
> <http://wwww.computer.org/tse/ts2001/e1toc.htm>.
>
> For those who don't have time or can't read the large PDF file, the
> authors looked at a system having 100,000,000 lines of C/C++ source and
> 100,000,000 lines of header and make files. They came to the conclusion
> that code does decay. Some symptoms they listed are :
> 1. Excessively complex(bloted) code - the system could be rewritten with
> many fewer LOC
> 2. A history of frequent changes
> 3. A history of faults
> 4. Widely dispersed changes  - fixes hit lots of modules or have a large
> size
> 5. Numerous interfaces(entry points)

What the fuck does this have to do with LoseDOS spontaneously trashing
it's own configuration data?

> I especiall like #2. Now everyone who complains about Linux 2.4 kernel
> taking so long, know why.
>
> Too late for NT, but Linus needs to keep this in mind. Keep the kernel
> simple and compact.
>
> --
> Russ
> <http://www.flash.net/~lyttlec>
> Not powered by ActiveX

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 04:22:11 -0500

mmnnoo wrote:

> Well, that is a good definition of 'code decay,' so I don't see the need
> for the 'no' part.  I would also add that code left untouched also seems
> to decay, gradually compiling and running only partially, then not at
> all - not because it has changed, but it is unfit for the evolved
> environment and has 'decayed' relative to everything around it.

Strange that we don't see this happening on Unix.

Lots and lots of commands were re-written for Y2K compliance, and
yet, VERY few shell-scripts needed to be touched.

why is that? (be precise).

> Tissue without blood cannot grow and gangreen (decay) can set in.
> What linux suffers from, if anything, is more like cancer, which is out
> of control growth, i.e. somebody rewrites the c-standard library
> just for kicks or firewalling & filtering gets transformed from
> ipfwadm through ipchains to iptables in quick succession.  Companies
> don't like to 'waste' money reworking functional code but it can be
> fun for the programmer to rip out old stuff and remake it in their own
> image and ln Linux this happens all the time.

You really are fucking delusional.

> But Linux' growth has more advantages than disadvantages, as new stuff is
> accepted by the community only if it is actually better (like iptables
> seems to be) and there is little pressure to quickly upgrade.

> In article <_Rrb6.2207$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Erik Funkenbusch"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Yes and no.  Code itself doesn't decay, but it's associations can.
> >
> > For instance, an interface the code uses can be changed, and thus the
> > code breaks despite no actual decay in the program itself.
> >
> > Over time, architectures become clouded and brittle when there are many
> > changes.  We've all seen a house that's had addition after addition
> > added on to it, and after a while it looks like a frankenstein's
> > monster.  The same is true of code that is hacked or patched but not
> > rewritten.
> >
> > "Russ Lyttle" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >> I'm cross posting this to the linux and nt groups as it seems pertinant
> >> to both.
> >>
> >> Recently MS had a lowkey campaign to get customers to replace NT with
> >> W2k because Nt  suffered from code decay. I came across an article
> >> "Does Code Decay? Assessing the Evidence from Change Management Data"
> >> by Stephen G. Eick, on the IEEE site. You can get the article at
> >> <http://wwww.computer.org/tse/ts2001/e1toc.htm>.
> >>
> >> For those who don't have time or can't read the large PDF file, the
> >> authors looked at a system having 100,000,000 lines of C/C++ source and
> >> 100,000,000 lines of header and make files. They came to the conclusion
> >> that code does decay. Some symptoms they listed are :
> >> 1. Excessively complex(bloted) code - the system could be rewritten
> >> with
> >> many fewer LOC
> >> 2. A history of frequent changes
> >> 3. A history of faults
> >> 4. Widely dispersed changes  - fixes hit lots of modules or have a
> >> large
> >> size
> >> 5. Numerous interfaces(entry points)
> >>
> >> I especiall like #2. Now everyone who complains about Linux 2.4 kernel
> >> taking so long, know why.
> >>
> >> Too late for NT, but Linus needs to keep this in mind. Keep the kernel
> >> simple and compact.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Russ
> >> <http://www.flash.net/~lyttlec>