From: tom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Blurry Fonts: Is there a solution?
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2000 08:01:49 GMT

In article <hJFX5.37775$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "Les Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Some fonts are scalable, some aren't.  If you select a bitmap font you
> will have some fixed choices in the drop-down.  If you pick a scalable
> font you can select the 'allow scaling' checkbox and specify a default
> size.

Okay, I was just logged on in Mandrake with Netscape and couldn't get
it; maybe I'm just a moron.  (back in 98 with IE now)  Here's what I
was trying; what am I doing wrong:  In Edit, Preferences, I selected
all kinds of fonts (like Times, Lucida, Arial, etc) that should be
perfectly scalable, but Netscape was only giving me the choice of 12pt,
whether or not I checked the "Allow Scaling" boxes.

Btw, can you tell me what file stores passwords?  I can't seem to logon
to my user account.

Tom

From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Windoze 2000 - just as shitty as ever
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2000 02:19:23 -0600

"Tom Wilson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:44HX5.2279$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > In NT, a user mode program cannot capture C-A-D, thus it cannot simulate
> an
> > NT login in a way that would fool someone that has ever logged into NT
> > before.  It would be immediately obvious that something was wrong unless
> > they were paying absolutely no attention.
>
> I'm almost willing to bet it is possible...
> If I get bored Thursday night, I might just fire up VC++ and see. I've
> captured Alt-Tab and most of the others (POS software that can't be exited
> or switched w/o a password)  I outgrew the hacker shit years ago, but, I
> need a break from the project I'm working on. Sounds like fun!

You do that.  If you figure out a way to do it without requiring admin privs
to install on a locked down system, I'll send you $50.  (I'm not joking
either).  Not exactly a stellar return for your investment of time, but not
chicken scratch either.

comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.unix.advocacy
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: A Microsoft exodus!
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2000 07:26:05 GMT

Les Mikesell writes:

>>> It would be a special case only if it is the first vi command
>>> you see.

>> Well, it's been a while, but I suspect that the first vi commands
>> I saw were i, Esc, and ZZ.  That made d$ still a special case.

> It is too bad you didn't have a reference that shows the pattern
> from the beginning.  You should learn u and U first so you don't
> worry about mistakes, then the pattern, then the commands
> and things you can use to describe the motions.

Actually, the first thing to learn is how to exit the editor,
hence the ZZ.  The next thing to learn is how to put text into
the buffer, hence the i command.  Without that, there are no
mistakes to fix with u.  And of course, once in insert mode,
you need to learn how to exit that mode, hence the Esc.

> It is not a matter of remembering all possible combinations as
> special cases.

It was a new case, regardless.

>>> Vi commands are virtually always in the form:
>>>        [count] command [where]
>>> You probably already know that [count] means an optional
>>> number can precede a command as a repeat count or as
>>> a rare special case if the command is G, the number specifies
>>> an absolute line number.

>> Assuming that you remember that you're in command mode.

> Hit escape if you aren't sure.  Now you are.

So much for efficiency.

> You could probably
> write a reference sheet for vi that prefixed every command
> with escape and then say is isn't modal (it really isn't except
> for ex mode, because insert is a command too).  But, the command
> set would then be just weird as emacs.

I don't use emacs either.  BRIEF was the easiest editor I ever
learned.

>>> Thus as you need and learn the
>>> different command letters and ways to describe the optional
>>> [where] you don't need to relearn arbitrary new ways to
>>> combine them.

>> $ still can mean either end of line or end of file.  Only the
>> "end" portion is consistent.

> It is consistent with being the end of the type of motion command
> you gave.

Do you consider d to be a "motion command"?

> Almost the only inconsistent thing is that the original vi did not
> accept a count prefix for 'r'.

How old is the "original" vi?  Presumably it has evolved over the
years.

------------------------------

From: tom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2000 08:05:26 GMT

In article <2aEX5.37756$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "Les Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I don't understand problems reading pdf files.  Xpdf and gv do
antialiasing
> and should look at least as good as anything on windows.

Check this out.  NOW in trying to open the pdf's of the ebooks that
came with Mandrake, neither Xpdf nor gv will open them because of some
problem with the books' encryption?!?  This is giving me a headache.

Tom

From: "Tom Wilson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Microsoft Light Bulb Part 2
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2000 08:38:19 GMT

"kiwiunixman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> While you Windows programmers are still trying to figure out the Win32
> API, Linux programmers have finished their program's and have time to
> reply to posts at COLA.

Fuck you!  <grin>

--
Tom Wilson
Registered Linux User #194021

Arrrrrgh!

<RAMPAGE>

HAVE YOU MICROSOFT EGGHEADS EVER HEARD OF CONSISTANCY OR STRUCTURE...YOUR
DOCS ARE AS SPAGHETTI-LIKE AS YOUR CODE! HAVE YOU NO SHAME? AND WHY DO YOU
MAKE AN EASY, LOW LEVEL DRIVE INTERFACE FOR YOUR SUPPOSEDLY SECURE NT AND AN
OBSCURE ASSEMBLY INTERFACE IN YOUR NOT SO SECURE 95/98? FOR GOD'S SAKE, IS A
CONSISTANT INTERFACE BETWEEN PLATFORMS TOO MUCH FOR THIS SIMPLE SOUL TO ASK?
I PROGRAM FOR YOUR OS's SINCE DOS 1.0 AND THIS IS MY REWARD? OH YEAH, WHILE
I'M HERE, COULD YOU EXPLAIN TO ME WHY ANISOTROPIC MAPPING PRODUCES DIFFERENT
RESULTS ON EVERY VERSION? I'M REALLY TIRED OF INVESTING MY TIME TO BUILD
STABLE APPLICATIONS ONLY TO INSTALL THEM ON THOSE RICKETY HOUSES OF CARDS
YOU CALL OPERATING SYSTEMS! I DON'T DESERVE THIS AND NEITHER DO MY
CUSTOMERS!  I SUPPORTED YOUR ORGANIZATION ALL THIS TIME AND WAIT FOR A
DECENT PLATFORM. YOU PROMISE - I BUY THE NEXT VERSION (REPEATED BEHAVIOR
SEVERAL TIMES). THEN A BUNCH OF HACKERS AND A GUY IN FINLAND BITCH-SLAPPED
YOU ALL OVER THE PLACE BY WRITTING A STABLE OS FOR FREE! YES, FREE! FOR
SHAME, PEOPLE! WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO ABOUT THIS? WIN2000 YOU SAY? I'M
SURE I'LL HAVE TO DO IT EVENTUALLY SEEING AS YOU HAVE MOST OF THE WORLD BY
THE BALLS RIGHT NOW....BUT, IT BETTER BE WORTH IT! I'LL BE GLAD WHEN I GO
COMPLETELY EMBEDDED AND WON'T HAVE TO DEAL WITH YOU GUYS AGAIN! THAT'S RIGHT
BABY, I'M TALKING DIVORCE AND I DON'T CARE WHO GETS THE RECORD COLLECTION
EITHER! I WANT OUT!

</RAMPAGE>

------------------------------

From: "Tom Wilson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2000 08:46:34 GMT

"Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:eHHX5.1913$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> "Tom Wilson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:44HX5.2279$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > > In NT, a user mode program cannot capture C-A-D, thus it cannot
simulate
> > an
> > > NT login in a way that would fool someone that has ever logged into NT
> > > before.  It would be immediately obvious that something was wrong
unless
> > > they were paying absolutely no attention.
> >
> > I'm almost willing to bet it is possible...
> > If I get bored Thursday night, I might just fire up VC++ and see. I've
> > captured Alt-Tab and most of the others (POS software that can't be
exited
> > or switched w/o a password)  I outgrew the hacker shit years ago, but, I
> > need a break from the project I'm working on. Sounds like fun!
>
> You do that.  If you figure out a way to do it without requiring admin
privs
> to install on a locked down system, I'll send you $50.  (I'm not joking
> either).  Not exactly a stellar return for your investment of time, but
not
> chicken scratch either.

My chances of pulling it off are pretty small, I know...
But, hell, remember Buster Douglas?

As upset as I am with Windows tonight (I'm programming) I have the incentive
to slap it around a bit. Wish me luck, eh?

--
Tom Wilson
    Go home Al....

------------------------------

From: Mike Byrns <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux growth rate explosion!
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2000 08:56:26 GMT

"Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:

> Les Mikesell wrote:
> >
> > "Kelsey Bjarnason" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:yyCX5.5940$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > > So, your position is, basically, that if Windows lacks something, it
> > sucks,
> > > and if it gets that thing, it sucks for getting it too late.  By this
> > > reasoning, even if Windows adopted _all_ the supposed benefits of Linux -
> > > open source, more solid security, increased configurability, whatever - it
> > > would still suck, despite having effectively the same functionality.  Does
> > > that about sum it up?
> >
> > It would stop sucking if it had text files controlling all configurations so
> > you could use revision control systems on them, diff two different ones,
> > generate patches for automatic updates and the like, and if it could compile
> > and run most open-source and home-grown software developed over the
> > thirty-year history of unix systems.   If OS-X pulls this off with a nice
> > GUI on top, why can't windows?
>
> Because OS-X was written by people with a decent education with the
> people, whereas LoseDOS was written by a bunch of high school
> hacks who think that "goto" is an sophisticated programming construct.

Aaron,

You apparently fail to note that Microsoft hires preferentially from
Carnegie-Mellon and other such bastions of computer science.  CM is precisely
where the OSX kernel was developed.  Your hate deludes you.

Mike

------------------------------

From: "Tom Wilson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux Sux
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2000 09:04:40 GMT

"Walton Simons" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:90n9eu$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Great, a troll posting some bullshit and a bunch of morons replying to it.
> All right now, here it comes. Swango gets !PL0NK!ed for posting such an
> unoriginal troll, and everybody who reples to this gets a resounding
!SPNAK!
> laid upon them for not using their gray matter.
> *SPNAK!*
> *plonk*x10^999...

C'mon its' four in the morning here....My gray cells are sluggish gimme a
break!

<snipping big on effort, small on originality post>