From: kiwiunixman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Nobody wants Linux because it destroys hard disks.
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2000 08:53:39 GMT

So in hinesight, what you are really, advocating/questioning, is whether
Linux can be considered a UNIX? and in your humble opinion, Linux is not
up to the standard of a commercial UNIX.  Correct?

kiwiunixman

------------------------------

From: sfcybear <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Uptimes
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2000 08:51:05 GMT

Yeah, right, 2 sources show MS software unstable and all we get from the
winwimps is Claims! NOTHING to back up the claims they make!

Sources that back up the claim that W2K is unstable: 2
Sources that back up the claim that W2K is stable:   0

Oh yeah, We must not forget that the W2K side has Chad's word as proof,
what ever that means.

http://www.uptimes.net/

Linux average uptime: 63 days
windows average uptime: 17 days

The windows averages include 2 NT boxes in the top 100 average uptime
boxes (since there are more Linux boxes in the servey that NT boxes, it
is not fair to make any claims based on the low numbers of NT boxes in
the top 100). Seeing that number of W2K computers comes close to being
1/2 of the total that makes up the windows catagory and some of the
longest uptimes in the windows catagory come from NT, It would be hard
to get the numbers for W2K to be much above 35 days, not far off of the
Netcraft numbers.

But let's do the math.

average uptime = A
Number of computers = N
total uptime = T

A=T/N  <- The formula for calculating average uptime. I hope you can
understand this so for Chad

>From the page we can get the following figures:

Total number of computers that make up the Windows catagory = 1327
Average uptime for the computers that make up the windows catagory = 17
days so we know:

17 days=T/1327 days

We solve for T and we get:

22559 days = T (total uptime)

Now, lets assume that all of the windows catagory EXCEPT W2K reported 0
days uptime and all of the 22559 days of uptime for the windows catagory
came from the 611 W2K boxes

So using our formula for averages we get

A=22559 days/611
A=36.9 days average uptime

So, if we attribute ALL of the uptime from the Windows group to the W2K
boxes alone, we get an average uptime for the W2K boxes of 37 days.

Now, with the average uptime for W2K supplemented with ALL the uptime
from the windows group, Lets compare the W2K Uptime average to Linux:

W2K+  37 days average uptime
Linux 64 days average uptime

Even cheating in favor of W2K, W2K's average uptime does not come close
to that of Linux.

Since I used averages, the relative numbers of Window to Linux is not
important.

From: Marty <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.unix.advocacy
Subject: Re: A Microsoft exodus!
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2000 08:58:02 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Marty writes:

> >> Well, I don't know of any infant that just happens to start
> >> speaking some language not heard from the person or persons
> >> rearing it.  Do you?
>
> > Do you comprehend baby-talk
>
> I comprehend your "infantile game", Marty.
>
> > or are you of the school of thought that it is gibberish?
>
> Your "infantile game" is pretty useless, Marty.

I see you avoided the question and resorted to invective.  Figures.

Nonetheless babies do speak a language of sorts which was not learned by
example.  Does a mother cry in front of a baby when she wants something from
it?

------------------------------

From: kiwiunixman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2000 22:12:33 +1300

<snip>

>>  Apple
>> is changing their computing standards to a UNIX based OS and throwing away
>> the hideous 20 year old computing mentality that's keeping Linux in a dark
>

> Strange...I remember seing Unix GUI's back in the MS-DOS 3.x days...
Remember, it wasn't too long ago when UNIX and OS/2 were the only ones
that enabled thin clients to log into these servers.  As I recall, back
in 1986 (or so) the X-Dumb terminals were developed so that graphical
user interface + centralised processing = lower TCO, compared to Windows
pitiful attempt twelve years later when Microsoft released Windows NT
Terminal Server, UNIX had that functionality 12 years ago!!!!!!!

kiwiunixman

------------------------------

From: kiwiunixman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2000 09:20:28 GMT

I was just being sympathetic to the Wintrols as they require one hundred
thousand dollar hardware, for what Linux can do on around five grand.

kiwiunixman

------------------------------

From: kiwiunixman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Blurry Fonts: Is there a solution?
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2000 22:26:03 +1300

Stop drinking before using the computer :)

kiwiunixman

------------------------------

From: kiwiunixman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Windows 2000 sucks compared to linux
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2000 09:35:22 GMT

Yeah, servers with real balls, not these namby-pamby, limp wristed, left
footed, tree hugging Wintel servers!  If you want real work done you get
a real server to do the work!

kiwiunixman

------------------------------

From: kiwiunixman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2000 09:48:46 GMT

<snype>

> Well I'll tell you...
>
> What's bad about your TRUTH is it's bullshit.
> Linux is a better graphics station.  The proof can
> be found in many places but the one I like the best
> is the FACT the movie Titanic was made using Linux.
>
> If you examine Hollywood at large, very little in the
> way of the graphic arts are performed with Windows.
> They mainly use FreeBSD, Linux and Macs but
> Windows is hardly used there.  This is also
> true of commercial advertising.
>
> Now your 'OPINION' may be that Windows is the
> way to go but in 'REALITY' it's not the way
> anybody is going.

The lord of the rings use big fucking SGI workstations, not these limp wristed,

so-called "workstations" running Windows 2000, Chad Myers craps on about.  Hello,
why hasn't NT got a 64 bit journallying file system? BeOS has,
IRIX has, Linux will have soon, why not NT?

kiwiunixman

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2000 10:01:15 GMT

Marty writes:

>>> Do you comprehend baby-talk

>> I comprehend your "infantile game", Marty.

>>> or are you of the school of thought that it is gibberish?

>> Your "infantile game" is pretty useless, Marty.

> I see you avoided the question and resorted to invective.

Where is the alleged invective, Marty?  I'm simply your own description
for your own behavior.

> Figures.

Figures that you would pontificate about alleged invective.

> Nonetheless babies do speak a language of sorts which was not learned
> by example.

Is that what you consider "walking and talking", Marty?

Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2000 05:18:30 -0500
From: jtnews <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: What if Linux wasn't free?

"Bobby D. Bryant" wrote:

> So is that why Home Depot is installing 90,000 Linuxes?  So they can
> start selling nails and hinges for it?

I was in Home Depot a few weeks ago, and by chance I saw the cashier
using her terminal and it had an HP-UX login prompt.  Do you know what
they're using Linux for at Home Depot?

------------------------------

From: "Pedro Coto" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux lacks
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2000 10:31:18 GMT

> How strange.  I bought some Linux games from LokiSoft, and they won't
> run under Windows.  Who'da thought it?  I thought Windows was the
> industry standard.

   A matter of portentage, very funny being sarcastic but that won't
hide the truth, we like it or not.

> I can only customize my kernel under Linux.  I tried it under Windows,
> but I got an error message when I typed 'make clean; make dep; make
> boot'.

   Fine, again sarcasm is good, but the truth is that if you want to play
divX at an acceptable frame rate you do need Windows 98/Me. I am
not happy with it, but I am honest enough to say things are they are.

> I can only render Web pages correctly under Mozilla.  IE doesn't support
> the W3C standards.

   Lucky man then. Mozilla for me is as unstable as IE on Windows 95.

> Netscape Collabra is my fav.  OE is too big a security risk, in my
> opinion.

   Each of us can like whichever he wants; anyway, OE is only a security
risk if you have little or no idea about some things. I guess that each
medium
advanced computer user or advocate would be able to manage OE viruses
with no problem at all. Anyway, you are right, OE is perhaps a no necessary
security risk ... a matter of desktop OS market penetration in my opinion,
anyway ... let's wait and see ...

> When I am going to write an article, I choose LyX.  It lets me make
> professional looking articles, without getting bogged down in the
> details of formatting.  I've never been so preductive a writer in my
> entire life, as I am now.

   Well, my magazine tells me to write in Word 97, and then they
format the pages ... so ... I have not really choice, have I ? In any
case, I find LyX more scientific oriented. LaTeX is the best
document language, but ... if you do not know it, perhaps is a
little waste of time to learn it just to write a letter.

> Despite dubious "advances", Windows still doesn't cut it for me.

   So tell me how does aviplay or xmps at your machine perform
compared to a Windows player please. Or tell me how Java,
Javascript, VBScript or ActiveX perform under Mozilla. Or
the porcentage of games available for a GNU/Linux desktop
platform. I know that you may have the ones you want, but
as a worl wide desktop OS it suffers from some limitations that
is honest to point even if you (as I do) like GNU and GNU/Linux
philosophy. We do not need to lie as we always point Microsoft
to do, we have a OS that is improving very fast and that we hope
to be ready, but I have no problem admitting that if fails for some
things just now.

> Yeah, me too.  It also makes a great desktop system.  Everything is so
> much more reliable and predictable, that I get more work done now.

   May be for you or for me. But when a ext2 filesystem (and Reiser or the
kind are just now beginning to be widespread) tell a new Linux user
to enter root password to check a filesystem by hand, he gets annoyed.

> Yeah, I was going to list Windows shortcomings, too, but I don't want to
> spend the whole weekend on this message.

   I am not a Windows advocate at all. So I will be probably with you
at each Windows bug, fail or wrong behaviour.

> Yeah, you're right.  In fact, I'm saying that it's a piece of trash.

   Yes, a completly piece of trash with perhaps some good points (very
few), but that me at least do need by now to achieve some tasks.

------------------------------

From: "Pedro Coto" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Uptimes strike back
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2000 10:33:28 GMT

> A less stable system is more prone to crashes, period.  If you only stay
> up a day at a time you can reduce your chances of getting bit, but if
> your system isn't reliable, it *is* going to bite you sooner or later.

   That's the point, trying to prevent that moment.

> And somehow they seem to know when you're doing something really
> important...

   I agree :-))

------------------------------

From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 9 Dec 2000 04:40:18 -0600

"kiwiunixman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> The lord of the rings use big fucking SGI workstations, not these limp
wristed,
> so-called "workstations" running Windows 2000, Chad Myers craps on about.
Hello,

SGI makes Windows 2000 workstations.  In fact, the same exact hardware is
avialable with Linux is also available with NT/2000.  There are, however, a
few products SGI makes that are NT/2000 only, just like they have products
that are IRIX only.

> why hasn't NT got a 64 bit journallying file system? BeOS has,
> IRIX has, Linux will have soon, why not NT?

NT has had a 64 bit journaled file system since 1993 when NT was first
released.