From: "Joseph T. Adams" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Middle Aged Fat Asses
Date: 11 Mar 2001 20:08:37 GMT

Some of us use, like, and advocate Linux in spite of being neither
young nor thin.  :)

Charlie Ebert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: Why is is that everytime the subject of Linux comes up in an
: office, about 25 middle aged fat asses fly into the conversation
: to profess the advocacy of using Windows powered boxes.

: Windows boxes are so easy to install.  I tried to install Linux
: and it was SOO DIFFICULT!  Every PC crashes, so why pick the OS
: which is hardest to install!  Oh my!

: They are so concerned about install and setup they forgot the
: REASON this BECAME IMPORTANT!  It BECAME IMPORTANT BECAUSE,,,,
: MIDDDLE AGGGED FATTTASS MAN ARE YOU LISTENING TO ME HERE,,,,
: IT BECAME IMPORTANT BECAUSE WINDOWS IS AN UNRELIABLE PEICE
: OF SHIT OPERATING SYSTEM WHICH ISN'T CAPABLE OF UPTIMES EXCEEDING
: A WEEK!  IT'S THE FUCKING OPERATING SYSTEM WHICH HAS MADE THIS
: RE-INSTALLATION ISSUE EXTREMELY IMPORTANT TO YOU!

: The next concern MIDDLE AGED FAT ASS MAN has is that Linux
: doesn't have Microsoft Office.  MAFAM can't use a computer unless
: it has his favorite!  MAFAM, use Star Office or Gnome or KDE office.
: Use Evolution!    Do not rely on MAFAM products from Micro-crash anymore.

: There must be a device which uses centrifical force or some other means
: which will transfer MAFAM's brain from this lower extremeties back
: up to his cranium where it belongs.

: MAFAM also has this terrible difficulty in understanding why it's important
: to know LINUX is ready for business when you refer to the largest
: super computer clusters being built from Linux.  MAFAM thinks that's
: GEEK BRAINS STUFF and that doesn't APPLY TO MAFAM WORLD!

: Nothing in MAFAM's world needs to have GEEK BRAINS stuff as long as
: you have a GOOD PLAN!

: MAFAM lives by the GOOD PLAN philosophy.

: See you all on the wide track MAFAM'S!

: Charlie

------------------------------

From: "GreyCloud" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: What Linux MUST DO! - Comments anyone?
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2001 12:18:40 -0800

"Weevil" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:QXLq6.33479$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
> >
> > > http://www.netslaves.com/comments/983976069.shtml
> >
> > Fascinating...
> >
> > "In 1994, I became a Linux hobbyist. My interest was not in Slackware
per
> > se, but in a program called Persistence of Vision Ray Tracer - POVRay."
> >
> > "Where it once took hours to render, it now took. . . half hours. Long
> > half hours. Many of them. All in a row. The sucker rendered, and with
the
> > power of xv, I could see it, too! Enrapture! Wonder! O frabjous day!
> > Callooh! Callay!"
> >
> > Really?
> >
> > On Linux POVray runs TWICE as fast?
> >
> > Is that TRUE?
> >
> > Did I not recently try this out, and what did I find? That POVray runs
at
> > about the SAME speed on Linux as it does on Windows on the SAME
hardware!

> > --
> > Pete
>
> Never tried POVray, and in any case, if the Linux and Windows versions are
> not built from the same source, it's a meaningless comparison.
>
> What I *have* tried is a relatively simple chess program called TSCP
(Tom's
> Simple Chess Program, by Tom Kerrigan).  It's written pretty much in ANSI
> and will probably compile as is for almost any platform.  There is no
> graphical interface:  you type in your moves.  It was written as a sort of
> teaching tool for hobbyists who are interested in writing their own chess
> software.
>
> As is, it reports no statistics.  But it's easy to add a few lines of code
> to track nodes per second.  I did this and compiled it under Linux using
gcc
> and under Win98 using Visual C++ 4.0 (the only version I have).  My
version
> of VC doesn't do much in the way of optimization, so I tried turning on
and
> off all sorts of different optimization options for gcc.
>
> I could find no way of compiling the Linux version that would get TSCP to
> run slower than about twice as fast as the Windows version.  Optimizing it
> on Linux got it going around 4 times as fast.
>
> If you have a better version of VC, try it yourself.  I'd be very
interested
> to see the results.
>
> --
> - Weevil

What edition of VC++??  M$ made 6.0 standard edition just educational only.
The pro version
has the optimizations in it.  But gcc does optimizing much better.. The big
problem is the ms libs vs gcc's libs.
So its hard to compare.  gcc has better handling of inheritance and
polymorphism than m$ C++... if you make your own base class... create two
classes from your base class and then create a third class that needs stuff
from both of the above classes vc++ chokes!  Their C part tho works very
reliably when NISTL was still doing
C certifications and then they stopped back in Dec. 1998.  That was the only
thing ms done right was to get their C compiler certified.  Their C++
compiler is still buggy in places.  Not much one can do on that part.  Just
have to do a lot of work arounds.  I've finally ditched M$ products and I'm
now converting into the Gnu gcc camp.
Seems like everytime I buy an upgrade for $150 in six months they turn
around and bug you to upgrade again.
So I quite that spiral.

------------------------------

From: "GreyCloud" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Windoze Domination/Damnation
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2001 12:27:16 -0800

"Pete Goodwin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
>
> > Oh shure it is.  Anybody who uses a modern X environment with
> > either KDE or Gnome then uses W2k and comes away with the
> > impression W2k is superior has worms for brains.
>
> You're kidding right?
>
> You have actually tried KDE haven't you?
>
> It's a young product.
>
> It's got so many bugs in it I could drive a bus through them.
>
> If you want to lose all your fonts, set your region to anything other
> than US. Then watch all your fonts slip to a courier style. This was true
> on KDE 2.0. I've only recently installed KDE 2.1 (it blew big time on
> Linux Mandrake) on SuSE 7.1. I've not tried this yet.
>
> Of course Windows 2000 is superior to KDE!
>
> > You might as well attempt to nurse your young on YOUR NIPPLES
> > as use Windows in a business environment.
>
> Then why are you still using it Charlie? Wassamatta? Not got the guts to
> leave your support job on Windows NT that you spoke about before and get
> a job on your nirvana, Linux?
>
> > It's still the bluescreening, buggy, license ridden shit
> > it always has been since day 1.
>
> Same question Charlie, why are you still in that job?
>
> Could it be because it PAYS better than anything you could find with
> Linux?

Uh... win2000 has over 64,000 bugs in it!  Its been published by microsoft
themselves and also Sun
microsystems.  Try CDE on Solaris 8.  It allows you to try OpenLook, CDE, or
Gnome.

------------------------------

From: Michael Vester <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux Advocacy Starts Here
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2001 13:14:32 -0700

"[EMAIL PROTECTED]" wrote:

> So you have decided to install Linux huh?  Good choice.
> www.psycholinux.com

You forgot to put "#" in front of your "&nbsp"'s.
--
Michael Vester
A credible Linux advocate

"The avalanche has started, it is
too late for the pebbles to vote"
Kosh, Vorlon Ambassador to Babylon 5

------------------------------

From: "GreyCloud" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux growth underscores threat to Microsoft
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2001 12:43:16 -0800

Hi Rex.  That pretty much seems to  sum up what is currently going on today.
I didn't know much about the transmeta chip and would like to hear more.

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Andres Soolo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: How Microsoft Crushes the Hearts of Trolls.
Date: 11 Mar 2001 20:53:15 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy Bob Hauck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> And to the Linux lunatics.  There is such a thing which grownups use,
>> called "tools".
> Yes, all Linux programmers are children.  Or, you are a dumbass who
> can't have a discussion without insulting.
Someone once said a childlike unbounded creativity is a hacker's
most important asset.  :-)

> have to know the most efficient way to code things, *especially* if you
> are using a high-level language.  You can't know what's efficient unless
> you have some understanding of how your tools work under the hood.
You mean there's no way to project the best way through a town
if you don't know that your car isn't too good at driving through
buildings?

How come the people who "just want to get on with their lives" can
get the concept of streets and find the concept of directory tree
too difficult?

But the true point is, wtf are the winvocates praising *stupidity* for?

--
Andres Soolo   <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Paralysis through analysis.

------------------------------

From: J Sloan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: There is money in Linux
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2001 20:54:57 GMT

Pete Goodwin wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
>
> > I'm not going to bother quoting stock prices or revenues for corporate
> > distribution makers bacause I couldn't be bothered.
>
> The stocks on Linux, they go up, they go down. It's difficult to make
> money on something that basically is given away.

So, is that why Sun stock took a dive, because they are
now "giving away" Solaris?

I think the thing that has you confused is that Linux companies
are not "giving away" tech support, consulting, and custom
engineering services, and they are not "giving away" Linux
systems, as I can assure you after looking at the latest quote
from the vendor. Perhaps you were given some bogus info, but
you should have been able to figure that much out.

jjs

------------------------------

From: Arthur Frain <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,soc.singles
Subject: Re: What does IQ measure?
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2001 12:56:53 -0800

Brock Hannibal wrote:

> Arthur Frain wrote:

> > Brock Hannibal wrote:
> > > That would sort of be like saying F=ma is not true
> > > because you've redefined a to be something other
> > > than acceleration.

> > Well, the fact is F=ma isn't true if dm/dt != 0 [1].
> > The assumptions you're making about IQ are in the same
> > league as assuming that dm/dt can always be ignored,
> > when in the Real World (tm) it can't be (rockets burning
> > fuel or space debris hitting the atmosphere for example).

> That's dodging the analogy you stupid fucking idiot.

Nah, it's just demonstrating the analogy is flawed.

> If you redefine any term in an equation the equation loses
> validity as you take great lengths to show later.

But I'm not redefining terms - dp/dt is *the* definition
of F. F = ma is a special case of that, where someone has
assumed/defined dm/dt = 0.

> If you redefine mass as a changing amount instead of a
> constant F=ma does not apply. My analogy works with that
> too, you arrogant twit.

If your analogy works, then you really are arguing about nothing.

> I think you are very confused. At any instant in time F=ma always
> holds.

Nope - F = ma only holds if dm/dt = 0 and dv/dt != 0 - if velocity
isn't changing there is no 'a', but there could be an F due to
dm. The math is pretty simple. Bonus points for examples - I can
think of at least two.

[A]
> Of course if the mass is changing over time because of boil
> off or fuel consumption you have to take that into account.

My point exactly. Thank you.

> > > It makes a pretty good case though. When you want to know whether X
> > > and Y are related, a high correlation is good evidence.

> > Jeez - Hume pretty much settled this in what - the 18th
> > century? Catch up, please. Relation is not causation, and
> > correlation isn't even necessarily relation in any
> > meaningful sense. You can correlate the DJIA with
> > sunspots - doesn't mean there's any relation or causation
> > between the two (it's as likely that the DJIA causes
> > sunspot activity as the other way around unless you know
> > something specific about causality, which no theory of IQ
> > I've ever seen establishes).
>
> You in your jerklike out of context way snipped this statement by
> Steve Madding:

> To which I responded with a reasonable statement that:
> > > It makes a pretty good case though. When you want to know whether X
> > > and Y are related, a high correlation is good evidence.

> I never said it "proved " anything, just that it is good evidence

But it's not good evidence of anything unless you have some
model of causation, and you don't have that. I fail to see
how that's out of context - not very convenient for what you're
claiming, but not out of context.

> > Secondly, "high" is not a number, and it certainly isn't
> > 1.0, meaning that in the best of all worlds for IQ
> > proponents there are other factors that need to be
> > considered. The truth is probably much worse than
> > that, since by "high" IQ proponents often mean > 0.

> No they mean >> 0. Like 0.4 or better. You obviously have very
> little understanding of statistics. It sounds like your
> understanding is limited to H.S. physics.

But it's easy to find things that correlate to much better
than .4 - say population over time and the decay of C-14
over time. Doesn't mean there's any connection whatsoever
(except the passage of time), and it's "evidence" of nothing.
Maybe I'm not an expert in  stats, but a .4 correlation
coefficient doesn't seem very  impressive to me. Wouldn't
impress a physicist, I'm sure.

> > [1] People with reasonable IQ's recall from HS physics
> > that F=dp/dt, where p=mv is momentum, so F= m*dv/dt + v*dm/dt.
> > OTOH, people who make superficial, imprecise arguments
> > only remember that F=ma, and forget that's a special case
> > (Newton's Law of Usenet Debate)

> It's only a special case in unrealizable, for the most part,
> conditions.

Hardly unrealizable - I gave two fairly common examples.
But you're contradicting your statement at [A] above
where you agreed with those examples.

> You are arguing against the statement that the vector
> equation F=ma is untrue?

Yep, because it is untrue in some cases, while F = dp/dt
is always true in the Newtonian world (by definition -
F *is* dp/dt - AFAIK there is no other definition, but
I might be wrong on that).

> No I don't think so. It too loses validity
> at near light speed, another condition that's unrealizable in your
> Real World, dumbfuck.

Gee, that must be why Newtonian mechanics is so successful
at describing atomic level kinetics. Oh, sorry, nuclear
physics must not be part of the Real World (tm).

> That still is only proof of the analogy that I made. Thank you for
> providing additional backup for my argument that if you redefine the
> conditions or the elements of an equation you have a different
> equation.

Hey - no problem. Always happy to be of service.

Arthur

------------------------------

From: Karel Jansens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: No problem with multiple GUI's
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2001 17:10:18 +0100

Pete Goodwin wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> says...
> > Sure, you sacrifice some consistency.  But, I like to think of multiple
> > toolkits and GUI's on Linux as more of artistic freedom.  I think that there
> > are enough unix apps around that, if you don't like a particular app's GUI,
> > you can also choose from a similar app linked to a different toolkit.
> > Besides, no matter which toolkit you use, the standard X cuting and pasting
> > mechanism of left-click highlight/middle-click paste *always* works.  So,
> > what's the problem?
>
> Which toolkit should you pick? Gtk? Qt? KDE? GNOME?... and all the rest.
>
> If you create a GUI application, can you be sure everyone out there will
> have all the libraries installed for the toolkit you chose?

If I were to write a non-commercial GUI application, I might include a
readme file that told any prospective user what libraries (s)he had to
have installed. Other than that I really couldn't care less.

If I were to write a commercial GUI based application, I'd make sure the
installer checks for the necessary libraries and installed them if
needed.

Spot the difference.

> > All this talk about consistency is bogus.  People who complain about
> > consistency are merely looking for a Windows replacement.  If X had a fixed
> > API like Win32, people would be complaining about it being so inflexible.
> > Painters don't like to be told which types of paint/convass to use, so as
> > programmers, I like the idea of picking and choosing which toolkit I want to
> > use.
>
> So for one application you would choose Gtk, for another Qt? You really
> have that much time to waste do you?

If he has, what's it to you?

> > I get kind of tired about people in here who whine that Linux's weakness is
> > its lack of a consistent GUI, and that you can't edit an image with unix
> > command-line tools.
>
> We went through all this before. I find it irritating that Netscape has
> one file save dialog that forgets the filename when you change directory,
> GNOME apps have yet another one, and KDE apps have yet anther one!
>
> What is this, the Yet-Another-GUI-Toolkit platform?

If the dialogs are more important to you than the application, get
consistent applications. If you can't find any, pay someone to write
them. If you don't have the money, learn to program and write one
yourself.

> > I think that people who complain about Linux's lack of GUI to do everything
> > and anything should just use a GUI-based OS, such as BeOS, Windows, or MacOS,
> > or just shut up.
>
> I do use Windows but I may find I cannot use it for a number of reasons.
> I am looking to see if Linux is an alternative. It's nearly there, but if
> everyone's reaction to my criticisms are like yours, it'll stagnate where
> it is.

You don't seem to get the point that your "criticisms" are diametrically
opposed to what the people who develop for/in linux consider as its
important features. And you are not important enough to make a dent in
their opinions.

So you're pissed off with Windows; it crashes too much; the figgin'
companies charge too much for software. But hey! there's this neat thing
called linux; I better try that one out. And then you find out this
linux thing is not the same as Windows, and you start bitching about it,
hiding yourself behind the facade of "linux has to become more
user-friendly if it hopes to succeed".

Guess what, Pete? Linux already _is_ successful, but for you
"succcessful" only means "it does what little Pete wants it to do".

Leave it or live with it, Pete. Those are the only options you've got,
because nobody is listening to your whining.

--
Regards (sort of),

Karel Jansens
"You're the weakest link. Goodb-No, wait! Stop! Noaaarrghh!!!"

From: Matthew Gardiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 10:05:00 +1300

I'll give you MY experience, I went into my local book store, "London
Books" (kinda ironic being in New Zealand), well,  anyway, the number
of  Linux books are around the same number as Windows books, however,
there are more Windows books, as they cater for the complete moron all
the way to [insert highest level], compared to Linux which tends to have
fewer books, but, most of them cover from the complete moron all the way
up to the Linux Guru in one book, instead of having the information
spread over several books.  The most dominant section of computers
books, is the programming area, which has alot of books ranging from C++
all the way to Fortran and COBOL. Hence, the number of books doesn't
really show the full picture of what is happening on the Linux vs.
Windows front.

Matthew Gardiner

Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2001 16:07:25 -0500
From: Donn Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Charlie Ebert wrote:

> Why is is that everytime the subject of Linux comes up in an
> office, about 25 middle aged fat asses fly into the conversation
> to profess the advocacy of using Windows powered boxes.

Had I been a king from the middle ages, I'd have people sent to the rack
for advocating Windows.  Or, maybe I could have them hung upside-down in
the dungeon. 8-)