From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Win2k Sp2 Worked perfectly
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 00:41:29 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> On Thu, 24 May 2001 00:58:56 GMT,
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] () wrote:
>
> >On Thu, 24 May 2001 00:53:49 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >>I installed SP2 under Win2k and it worked perfectly, just like SP1
> >>did. Contrast this to the Mandrake update CD I was sent in the mail
> >>thaty destroyed my entire system.
> >>
> >>Sorry but Linux still sucks and Windows ROCKS!!!!!
> >
> >Fuck off and die troll.  Win2k is pathetic for it's 40 year old file system and
> >the cpu and memory requirement of a super computer just to not run like a dog.
> >
> >You may like having an OS with 30 million lines of brand new bug ridden code,
> >but I prefer something a little more mature.
> >
> >You and MS deserve each other.
>
> I don't care if it has 30 trillion lines of buig infested code as long
> as it works for ME.
>
> I clicked on setup.exe, it saved my current config and installed SP@
> and it all worked perfectly.
>
> Compare this to Mandrakes update CD which destroyed a perfectly
> working system....

What did you do wrong?

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 00:42:40 -0400

Ayende Rahien wrote:

> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> ome.com...
> > On Thu, 24 May 2001 04:24:48 +0200, Ayende Rahien <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > >
> > ><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >
> >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED].
> > >ome.com...

> > >system
> > >
> > >40? NTFS is about 10  - 15 years old.
> > >

> > Actually I exagerated a bit.  The technology is only 30 years old.
>
> No, it isn't.
> NTFS is ten to fifteen years old, not thirty.

Yes, but when it was written, it was 15 years behind the times.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: Ray Chason <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: In AD 2001...
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 04:43:10 -0000

In AD 2001 war was beginning.

Linus:  What happen?
Alan:   Somebody set up us the BSOD.
Bruce:  We get signal.
Linus:  What!
Bruce:  Main screen turn on.
Linus:  It's you!!
GATES:  How are you gentlemen!!
GATES:  All your license are belong to us.
GATES:  You are on the way to destruction.
Linus:  What you say!!
GATES:  You have no chance to survive make your time.
GATES:  Ha ha ha ha ....
Linus:  Take off every 'Penguin'!!
Linus:  You know what you doing.
Linus:  Move 'Penguin'.
Linus:  For great software.

--
 --------------===============<[ Ray Chason ]>===============--------------
         PGP public key at http://www.smart.net/~rchason/pubkey.asc

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charlie Ebert)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.mandrake,linux.redhat
Subject: Re: Time to bitc__ again
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 04:43:17 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, daniel wrote:
>Its time to do this again.  Im not receiving enough spam, havent
>alienated enough people who know me, and, well, need to get this off
>my chest.

Okay, go ahead.  I'm listening.

>Im really disappointed with the current sorry state of three of the
>major distributions of Linux.
>
>Redhat 7.1 and Mandrake 8.0 are laughable in terms of how buggy they
>are.  Under both of them Gnome and KDE work like crap.  Mandrake 8 had
>a serious install problem with mice which was know several
>pre-releases before the final release but wasnt fixed (their
>developers never saw the gazillion threads about this?)
>The latest Gnome and KDE both are funky.  Gnome has a serious problem
>with window focus.  KDE likes to freeze and is basically unusable.

I don't like KDE or KDE2 either so I run GNOME.

They just released GNOME 1.4 and I personally think that's the
best of the whole bunch.  Window Maker would be my 2nd choice.

>I also havent been able to sucessfully compile a kernel on either of
>these.  Everytime I read the threads I see that there are broken libcs
>because they are rushing to get 2.4 releases out the door and using
>unstable libraries.

With the current distributions of Suse, Mandrake, or Redhat this
shouldn't be a problem.

It's what your doing which is causing the problem.

>Lets see Ive installed Debian 3 or 4 times in the past week and on
>every single installation it was like extracting teeth to get X to
>run.  Once I did get X to run and Gnome was running on top of blackbox
>and twm.  Okay.  I finally managed to get sawmill or sawfish to run
>but then Gnome didnt launch.
>I went and tried to install task-ximian-<whateveritwas> instead of
>task-gnome-desktop and things only got even more mucked up.  Plus the
>instructions on Ximians site for installing to gnome included a
>package which didnt exist.

Debian is the finest of the whole bunch.
It's the most stable.

Potato has a 2.4 upgrade path for normal users.
I'm running Potato with the 2.4.4 kernel and Gnome 1.4 right now.

I would have to say the 2nd best OS would be Suse 7.1

>Basically this is so upsetting because late last year people were
>talking about Linux on the desktop and at that point things were
>beginning to work great.  Mandrake 7.1 in my opinion was a work of
>near-perfection and worked almost flawlessly.  Why do these distros
>insist on pushing forward and putting out cutting-edge recent, yet
>highly buggy releases?  Why not just keep improving and existing one
>if it works?  Wouldnt they make more money off working products than
>cutting-edge broken ones?
>
>Okay, I just checked and Mandrake seems to still be release updates
>for the 7.1 tree.  This is excellent, since I intend to go back to it.
>
>I am surprised that none of these distros seem to be doing enough even
>basic level QA to realize that things are broken.  Whats up with this?
>How can anyone advocate Linux on the desktop to a potentially critical
>public if these sorts of patterns continue?

As for the rest of the comments, experience matters.
With any OS, even if you got Solaris, your going to have
to develop some experience using it.

But I think it's safe to say that most people have no trouble
installing Suse 7.1 or Mandrake 8.0 or Redhat's latest

People do have problems installing Debian but Debian is
an OS for masters.

--
Charlie
=======

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 00:43:32 -0400

Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> ome.com...
> > On Thu, 24 May 2001 05:52:55 +0200, Ayende Rahien <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > >
> > ><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >
> >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED].
> > >ome.com...

> >>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> .

> > >No, it isn't.
> > >NTFS is ten to fifteen years old, not thirty.
> >
> > Look up the word technology.  NTFS isn't ground breaking work.  Mainframes
> has
> > such technology 30 years ago.
>
> Mainframes didn't use file systems as we know them today 30 years ago.  They
> used DASD (Direct Access Storage Devices) with Access methods like VSAM.

Must be why I was able to get directory listings off of 1970's era IBM 370's.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charlie Ebert)
Subject: IBM goes to jail...
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 04:45:01 GMT

How many people read that story about IBM's
CHALK marketing team being ordered to jail!

Wasn't that something.

--
Charlie
=======

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charlie Ebert)
Subject: Re: In AD 2001...
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 04:47:21 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Ray Chason wrote:
>In AD 2001 war was beginning.
>
>Linus:  What happen?
>Alan:   Somebody set up us the BSOD.
>Bruce:  We get signal.
>Linus:  What!
>Bruce:  Main screen turn on.
>Linus:  It's you!!
>GATES:  How are you gentlemen!!
>GATES:  All your license are belong to us.
>GATES:  You are on the way to destruction.
>Linus:  What you say!!
>GATES:  You have no chance to survive make your time.
>GATES:  Ha ha ha ha ....
>Linus:  Take off every 'Penguin'!!
>Linus:  You know what you doing.
>Linus:  Move 'Penguin'.
>Linus:  For great software.
>

>--
> --------------===============<[ Ray Chason ]>===============--------------
>         PGP public key at http://www.smart.net/~rchason/pubkey.asc
>                            Delenda est Windoze

It never ceases to amaze me how ignorant most people are to Linux
and the GNU.

They just don't seem to understand that Linux isn't a company.

It's more like the MASONS.

Financial sucess, one way or the other has no bearing on it's
development.

Linux is NOT a corporation.

--
Charlie
=======

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 00:47:25 -0400

Matthew Gardiner wrote:

> > > Look up the word technology.  NTFS isn't ground breaking work.
> Mainframes
> > has
> > > such technology 30 years ago.
> >
> > Mainframes didn't use file systems as we know them today 30 years ago.
> They
> > used DASD (Direct Access Storage Devices) with Access methods like VSAM.
> >
> 30 years ago there weren't any hard disks, apart from the wincesters that
> were being designed by IBM.

Bzzzzt!

IBM invented the hard disk in the early 1960's.  By 1970, they were
in common use in all installations for the Operating system and
frequently used files.

Remember, Unix started out as a project on some surplus equipment,
and the main devision between the / and the /usr filesystem was
how much could fit on the (high speed) magnetic drum-memory device
(think of an old edison "spool" recording vs 1970's vinyl LP records)
with an array of fixed heads...and how much had to be thrown onto
the slower hard disk drive.

By the mid 1970's, "washing machine" hard drives were ubiquitous.

> Matthew Gadiner

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 00:48:37 -0400

Nigel Feltham wrote:

> > Mainframes
> > > has
> > >
> > > Mainframes didn't use file systems as we know them today 30 years ago.
> > They
> > > used DASD (Direct Access Storage Devices) with Access methods like VSAM.
> > >
> > 30 years ago there weren't any hard disks, apart from the wincesters that
> > were being designed by IBM.
> >
> > Matthew Gadiner
> >

> There may not have been hard disks as we know them but according to a 1969
> reprint of a 1967 book released by SRA ( SRA or Science Research Associates
> was part of IBM - the book is called 'Computing Systems Fundamentals') the
> IBM System 360 had a Removeable media 6 platter disk drive ( model 2311 -
> 6.5mb capacity) as well as a tape drive (model 2401 - each tape holds
> 21mb), Drum storage (model 2303 - 800 head drum with 3mb capacity and 8.6ms

It's amazing how, 30 years later, the access time for persistant magnetic
storage has barely changed.

What's the current access time for a good disk drive...7 ms or so?

> access speed) and data cell drive (model 2321 - holds multiple strips of
> magnetic tape with 400 million characters storage and 600ms access speed).
>
> Some of this hardware had impressive access speeds or capacities for the
> time ( some only recently beaten). This system was released in 1964.
>
> More info is at http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Bistro/8502/360a.html

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Things that annoy me in Mandrake Linux
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 00:50:06 -0400

Anonymous wrote:

> Why do so many people think
> just because Mandrake Linux has problems,
> that's a problem with Linux in general?
>
> If you're not happy with the Mandrake distro,
> just try RedHat 7.1.  I use RedHat 7.1 and
> it installed fine.  It's working great too!

Becuase they are so inured to the Microsoft 'one vendor' mindset, that switching
OS vendors is anethema to them.

> Mig wrote:
> >
> > Its about time some real Linux issues are debated here. I'll start with a
> > few lousy things my favorite Linux distro does wrong.
> >
> > 1) If you change the security settings to "high security" only root can
> > play sound.
> > Fix: chmod a+w /dev/dsp
> >
> > Now thats a stupid thing (or is it really??). Why is one not warned and has
> > to waste long time on resolving this?
> > We need a (G)UI  to configure all kinds of small things like this!
> >
> > 2) If you add "Cooker" packages in the rather excellent Software Manager,
> > you will on some occasions risk upgrading some packages to "cooker version"
> > even though the stable packages are located at the CD's. This off course
> > even if the package you want to install is on the CD.
> >
> > Fix: Remove the cooker from the list
> >
> > Now thats silly. Thats sad for an excelent program that does a very fine
> > job. They should improve on Sofware Manager as soon as possible and finish
> > the week spots. Im sure there are many move
> >
> > Cheers
> >
> > Ohhh... another thing that annoys me. Why do not all Unix editors have RE
> > support built-in. I would feel that that is a natural feature.
>
>   --------== Posted Anonymously via Newsfeeds.Com ==-------
>      Featuring the worlds only Anonymous Usenet Server
>     -----------== http://www.newsfeeds.com ==----------

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Microsoft - WE DELETE YOU!
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 00:51:31 -0400

Roberto Alsina wrote:

> Chad Myers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> >"Roberto Alsina" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> >or

> >> Linux, FreeBSD. The number of people using web browsers on Linux is probably
> >> ten times the number of people using web browsers in Solaris,
> >> HP-UX and DU combined.
> >>
> >> The unix-like desktop market is so Linux+FreeBSD centric it's not even
> >> funny.
> >
> >Solaris and HP-UX are hardly "obscure", though, regardles of which
> >world you're living in.
>
> As desktop OSs? They are going to be obscure if they grow their marketshare
> some. Right now they are almost undetectable.

Most commonly used desktop OS in General Motors is the Unix family.

> If you mean as server OSs, why would you run any web browser on a server?
>
> --
> Roberto Alsina

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.