From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: US Navy carrier to adopt Win2k infrastructure
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2001 15:57:33 -0700

"Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:

> [...]
> >
> > I don't think that's quite true, although I wish it were.  From what
> > I've seen the majority of Chinese computer users love Windows, as long
> > as they can get it free, and 99% get it free.  This puts Red Flag Linux
> > in a difficult position of being no more free than Windows and facing an
> > uphill struggle, despite support by the government.
>
> Linux: documented, full source available
> Windows: lots of proprietary-formatted documents.
>
> In the end, Windows will lose...as soon as Gates' activation scheme
> is put into effect (the primary purpose for this is to collect money
> from users in countries, like China and Russia, where there are no
> copyright laws....he doesn't realize that they will turn to another
> OS before sending him one thin dime).
>

> > FWIW.
> > --
> > Real computer scientists don't program in assembler.  They don't write
> > in anything less portable than a number two pencil.

> >    With Seven Servers In California And Texas - The Worlds Uncensored News Source
> >

> --
> Aaron R. Kulkis
> Unix Systems Engineer
> DNRC Minister of all I survey
> ICQ # 3056642
>
> L: This seems to have reduced my spam. Maybe if everyone does it we
>    can defeat the email search bots.  [EMAIL PROTECTED] [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>    [EMAIL PROTECTED] [EMAIL PROTECTED] [EMAIL PROTECTED] [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> K: Truth in advertising:
>         Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shalala,
>         Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakhan,
>         Special Interest Sierra Club,
>         Anarchist Members of the ACLU
>         Left Wing Corporate Extremist Ted Turner
>         The Drunken Woman Killer Ted Kennedy
>         Grass Roots Pro-Gun movement,
>
> J: Other knee_jerk reactionaries: billh, david casey, redc1c4,
>    The retarded sisters: Raunchy (rauni) and Anencephielle (Enielle),
>    also known as old hags who've hit the wall....
>
> I: Loren Petrich's 2-week stubborn refusal to respond to the
>    challenge to describe even one philosophical difference
>    between himself and the communists demonstrates that, in fact,
>    Loren Petrich is a COMMUNIST ***hole
>
> H: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire
>     premises, it is my belief, and Willard concurs, that the reason
>     you folks feel listless and disoriented is simply because
>     you are lazy, stupid people"
>
> G:  Knackos...you're a retard.
>
> F: Unit_4's "Kook hunt" reminds me of "Jimmy Baker's" harangues against
>    adultery while concurrently committing adultery with Tammy Hahn.
>
> E: Jet is not worthy of the time to compose a response until
>    her behavior improves.
>
> D: Jet Silverman now follows me from newgroup to newsgroup
>    ...despite (C) above.
>
> C: Jet Silverman claims to have killfiled me.
>
> B: Jet Silverman plays the fool and spews out nonsense as a
>    method of sidetracking discussions which are headed in a

You've got that right!  The russians have been stealing since Kruchev
ordered the stoppage of computer research in 1967.

From: "pookoopookoo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why do Win advocates suck?  Part 1
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2001 19:05:06 -0400

> Lets see, linux can handle my digital camera, by 3d games, the occasional
> movie trailer, my document creation and formatting needs, my personal
> finance needs, my mp3 collection. And all that programmer and internet
> services stuff.

That's great. Let's say I have a preconfigured Linux box, I go out and buy
myself an agfa cl-20, what are my chances of installing it on my own, as a
regular joe user? Just curious, I actually have no idea if this will work or
not =)

> Where exactly was linux lacking again? What many varied things can't it
> do? Oh, yes, run specific software compiled specifically for the windows
> platform?

Actually it can, just really slowly. VMware is available for Linux.

>Can windows run Linux software?

Yes. VMware. I run Linux this way, because I didn't want to give up so much
diskspace just to play around with it.

> I would love to be able to use WindowMaker on the Windows pc i am forced
to use at work.

Too bad I guess.

>Can it run Mac software?

Yes, but only the legacy 68K stuff. No PPC support as of yet. It's called
Basilisk 2 and it's great (and it's open source =).

>Can windows even understand the mac file system (say on a floppy disk)?
Didn't think so.

Yes. It's called transmac or macdrive or macopener...all of which work great
BTW. But no one needs these out of the box except designers (like me).

> Try this on for size: many companies do not release their software for
> linux because they know that there is already similar software available
> for linux for free.

I think the 3% desktop market share, abscence of a stable desktop
environment, difficulty of setup and unwillingness by LinuxFolk to pay for
software actually might be more realistic reasons. I think so anyway =)
doesn't mean I'm right.

>This similar software does 80% to 90% of what their
> expensive software does, so only a few people would bother spending the
> money. So the company (quite rightly) decides not to spend money porting
> the software. Better to stay in the land of milk and honey, where the
> sheep have no other options and are used to the idea of paying through
> the nose for software.

Ever heard of CD burners? Just because someone uses windows doesn't mean
everyone who has it pays for it. I know a hell of a lot of people who have 1
copy of windows for the whole family (the rest of the family just steals
it). That applies to a lot of software as well. Just well meaning folks
sharing what they think is their property.

------------------------------

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: What to do with Bill Clinton (was Re: OT: Treason (was Re:
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2001 16:07:13 -0700

Ace Agincourt wrote:

> Hi Aaron,
>
> On Sat, 21 Apr 2001 07:22:12 -0400,
> "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> put fingers to keyboard and tapped away writing:
>
> ? Ace Agincourt wrote:
> ? >
> ? > Hi Don,
> ? >
> ? > On 21 Apr 2001 01:26:52 GMT,
> ? > [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donovan Rebbechi)
> ? > put fingers to keyboard and tapped away writing:
> ? >
> ? > ? On Sat, 21 Apr 2001 00:11:05 +0100, Ace Agincourt wrote:
> ? > ? > Hi Roberto,
> ? > ?
> ? > ? > Serbia was at war with the Kosovas.  Are you claiming that the mass
> ? > ? > murders did not occur.
> ? > ?
> ? > ? They are mass *murders* only if they are war *crimes*, ie they are
> ? > ? unlawful even in the context of war. Are you claiming the mass murders
> ? > ? were not war crimes ?
> ? >
> ? > Should, then, Lord Walworth have been tried for war crimes after he
> ? > murdered Wat Tyler?  Who would have intervened in England's private
> ? > affairs?
> ? >
> ? > ?
> ? > ? > Also, Hitler went to war against the Jews.
> ? > ? > Are you a holocaust denier?
> ? > ?
> ? > ? The NAZIs were tried as war *criminals*, meaning their killings were found
> ? > ? to be unlwaful.
> ? >
> ? > Under whose authority?  Should Bill Clinton be forced to stand trial
> ? > for his war crimes: the bombing of a Sudanese Pharmaceutical plant and
> ?
> ? Yes.
> ?
> ? He should also be put on trial for Treason.
> ?
> ? And sentanced to hanging by his testicles.
>
> Don't you think hanging by testicles is too good for him?

LOL!!  They could just use a bent hook on his bent dick!  But even this
wouldn't be good enough.  We need to find somebody to bite him on the
back the way he did to that other woman he seduced.  As Far as I'm
concerned, and keep the political parties out of it, he's a pervert and
should be punished....  let him co-exist with a horny gorilla!

From: "pookoopookoo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2001 19:09:06 -0400

> I don't know what you did but my Mandrake install took 376Mb. Yes
manadrake
> comes with 2Gb of programs. But you don't need to install it all.  How
many
> people need 6 Newsreads, 5 Email program, 3 office apps, 6 desktop
> enivoments. Just install what you need and what you like.

How do I pick though? There's thousands of packages in there. I'm not a
developer, if I uncheck development tools, will it still install correctly?

------------------------------

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2001 16:17:12 -0700

Ace Agincourt wrote:

> Hi Aaron,
>
> On Sat, 21 Apr 2001 08:02:49 -0400,
> "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> put fingers to keyboard and tapped away writing:
>
> ? Ace Agincourt wrote:
> ? >
> ? > Hi Aaron,
> ? >
> ? > On Sat, 21 Apr 2001 07:22:12 -0400,
> ? > "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> ? > put fingers to keyboard and tapped away writing:
> ? >
> ? > ? Ace Agincourt wrote:
> ? > ? >
> ? > ? > Hi Don,
> ? > ? >
> ? > ? > On 21 Apr 2001 01:26:52 GMT,
> ? > ? > [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donovan Rebbechi)
> ? > ? > put fingers to keyboard and tapped away writing:
> ? > ? >
> ? > ? > ? On Sat, 21 Apr 2001 00:11:05 +0100, Ace Agincourt wrote:
> ? > ? > ? > Hi Roberto,
> ? > ? > ?
> ? > ? > ? > Serbia was at war with the Kosovas.  Are you claiming that the mass
> ? > ? > ? > murders did not occur.
> ? > ? > ?
> ? > ? > ? They are mass *murders* only if they are war *crimes*, ie they are
> ? > ? > ? unlawful even in the context of war. Are you claiming the mass murders
> ? > ? > ? were not war crimes ?
> ? > ? >
> ? > ? > Should, then, Lord Walworth have been tried for war crimes after he
> ? > ? > murdered Wat Tyler?  Who would have intervened in England's private
> ? > ? > affairs?
> ? > ? >
> ? > ? > ?
> ? > ? > ? > Also, Hitler went to war against the Jews.
> ? > ? > ? > Are you a holocaust denier?
> ? > ? > ?
> ? > ? > ? The NAZIs were tried as war *criminals*, meaning their killings were found
> ? > ? > ? to be unlwaful.
> ? > ? >
> ? > ? > Under whose authority?  Should Bill Clinton be forced to stand trial
> ? > ? > for his war crimes: the bombing of a Sudanese Pharmaceutical plant and
> ? > ?
> ? > ? Yes.
> ? > ?
> ? > ? He should also be put on trial for Treason.
> ? > ?
> ? > ? And sentanced to hanging by his testicles.
> ? >
> ? > Don't you think hanging by testicles is too good for him?
> ?
> ?
> ? That depends on whether you tie a noose around his testicles...or use
> ? 300-pound test fishing line, stitched THROUGH his testicles.
>
> Wouldn't the line just pull through, leaving him writhing on the floor
> in agony until he dies?
>
> I think the place for his trial would be China.  There they have some
> very ingenious ways to execute, where the execution process takes
> days, even weeks.  Making him wear the wire jacket may be appropriate.

You have to start this with the water torture first.  Its a tough call
tho.
Would the water torture make him numb or insane so that the wire jacket
is of no effect?

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: OT: Treason (was Re: Communism)
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2001 16:20:44 -0700

Roberto Alsina wrote:

> Ace Agincourt wrote:
> >Hi Roberto,
> >
> >On 20 Apr 2001 18:40:28 GMT,
> >[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Roberto Alsina)
> >put fingers to keyboard and tapped away writing:
> >
> >? billh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >? >
> >? >"Roberto Alsina"
> >? >
> >? >> You apparently don't know what absurd means.
> >? >> You say it's not murder because it's not unlawful, right?
> >? >
> >? >No.  I said killing in war is not murder, is not unlawful, is not immoral,
> >? >and is not unethical.
> >? >
> >? >You chose to believe that means I said, "it's not murder because it's not
> >? >unlawful."  Something I've never said
> >?
> >? Murder is by definition unlawful. Therefore, if you say killing at war
> >? is not unlawful, the alleged lawfulness of the killing is sufficient
> >? cause for the killing not to be murder.
> >

> >Serbia was at war with the Kosovas.  Are you claiming that the mass
> >murders did not occur.  Also, Hitler went to war against the Jews.
> >Are you a holocaust denier?
>
> I see you joined late, so my position, by reading only the above,
> could be misunderstood.
>
> I personally believe any killing not in self defense, including
> killing at war, should be considered murder. I was only taking
> Billīs position to one of its many unpleasant logical outcomes.
>
> >? Therefore, you, in the paragraph above, have said (among other things)
> >? "killing at war is not murder because it's not unlawful".
> >?
> >? Now, whether you can see what you said or not, is not my problem.
> >?
> >? >The two are not the same.
> >?
> >? No, not the same, but one implies the other. And you said enough
> >? to imply what I said you said.
>
> --
> Roberto Alsina

That's ok.  Bills' sins hurt far too many people. He gets what he
deserves.
What goes around comes around.

------------------------------

From: Chronos Tachyon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why Linux Is no threat to Windows domination of the desktop
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2001 23:22:02 GMT

[Removed soc.singles from crossposting]

On Sat 21 Apr 2001 05:28, Chad Everett wrote:

  [Snip]

> Trouble is homosexuals are a politically vocal group who want to shove
> their sexuality down the throats of everybody else who want to treat it as
> a purely moral issue.  The homosexual lobby in the US is actively
> working to outlaw free speech and freedom of religion.   Your fantasy
> that "it's their own business" is nice.  The homosexual lobby wants
> to make it the business of everybody.  They want to teach my children
> all about homosexuality and prevent me from saying one word in protest
> about it.

I think it's "teachable moment" time. :-)

The problem is that current law was defined in an era when homosexuality
was treated as a psychological disease.  Across most of the U.S., it is
perfectly legal for an employer to fire or refuse to hire a person because
of their sexual orientation, regardless of whether or not they are
qualified for the job.  It's also commonly legal for a landlord to eject a
tenant because of (real or perceived) sexuality.  And in about 2/3 of the
U.S. states, any sort of same-sex sexual contact is completely illegal due
to "sodomy" laws (a misnomer if there ever was one...).  Even though many
sodomy laws outlaw things that heterosexual couples do in private all the
time, the laws are selectively enforced against gays and lesbians whenever
they are enforced at all.  So don't start the bullshit "homosexuals want
special rights" argument, because we don't.

The biggest problem is, to get these hideous laws off the books and put
some basic employment discrimination laws in place, we need political
power.  And to get political power, you either need lots of money (which,
despite the existence of some very wealthy gay people, we don't) or you
need a lot of popular support.  Some groups try in-your-face activism,
because they figure that mentioning the fact that gay people exist is
better than the status quo of pretending that we don't exist.  Others like
the HRC try to be more reasonable, and win people's minds with education
and reason.  Many people who become activists would much rather be living
quiet, normal lives, but took action when they found out about the
injustices of the would that affected them personally.

It's a delicate subject even within the gay community, but the best way to
win people over to a cause is to make them believe in it at an early age.
Children learn to be intolerant because they see intolerance in the world
around them.  I know, because I myself was hurling insults like "homo" at
others in first grade.  If not for the intervention of my parents and a
teacher who I admire to this day, I would probably have been a much less
open-minded and accepting person than I am today, and I certainly would
have had a much harder time with puberty when I found out that I was gay.
Kids fundamentally know that it's wrong to treat differently because they
don't conform.  They might do it anyway, but they still know that it's
wrong.  However, society immediately sets about molding them to believe
that conformance is good and that people are only allowed to differ in a
specific list of sanctioned ways.  That list does grow bigger with time --
"race" has recently been added -- but the process is slow and painful,
especially when the alternative, promoting the idea that diversity is good,
is the ultimate goal anyway.  I certainly don't support the idea of
teaching first graders about homosexuality, but I *do* support the
education of teachers about it, so that when students inevitably ask about
it, the teachers will be able to answer.

I'm as much a believer in freedom of speech and religion as any red-blooded
American.  Admittedly, some gay activists aren't.  We're human beings,
after all, not some sort of insidious "They".  Nobody said we were perfect,
or even cohesive.  We just happen to be a group of people from all walks of
life who are all pissed off about the same institutionalized injustice
because it affects us personally.

--
Chronos Tachyon
Guardian of Eristic Paraphernalia

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2001 19:22:19 -0400

Chad Everett wrote:

> On Sat, 21 Apr 2001 04:48:09 -0400, Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >Chad Myers wrote:
> >>
> >> "JS PL" <hi everybody!> wrote in message
> >> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> >> I feel much better about the China situation now without Clinton in office.
> >> Clinton was giving them technology left and right. About 2 years ago,
> >> they were 10-15 years from having theatre ballistic missle launch capability.
> >> They didn't have the advanced rocketry to send a missle into space and
> >> have it land halway across the planet. Thanks to Clinton, they now have
> >> missles pointed at Los Angeles and San Fransico. Before, they could reach
> >> Japan, Korea and Taiwan.
> >
> >And lets not forget the designs for warheads to put into those missiles.
> >
> >Klinton should be tried for treason, and upon being found guilty,
> >hung by his testicle and then shot.
> >

> Of course, that sort of punishment is unconstitutional in the US.

OK...tried for treason, found guilty, and shot.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.