From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Microsoft , makers of what ?
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2000 13:11:00 -0500

"Bobby D. Bryant" wrote:

> kiwiunixman wrote:
>
> > Introduced users to the "save-save-save and remember to save again"
> > metality.
>
> You know, even though I've hardly touched Windows for the past two
> years, I still have that habit so deeply ingrained in me that sometimes
> I have to remind myself that I really don't need to keep clicking the
> save button constantly, anymore.  And that it's OK to move the mouse
> while waiting for some operation to finish, because it won't hang my
> system, anymore.  And that when I move a file to another directory, I
> don't have to look to see whether it actually moved it, anymore.  And
> that when 'df' tells me I have four drives/partitions mounted, I really
> do have four, and I don't have too look at the names to see whether the
> OS has incorrectly mounted one of three devices twice, anymore.  And
> that it's OK to change the screen settings on a whim, because I won't
> have to reboot to make them take effect, anymore.  And if I decide to
> power down when I go on vacation, it doesn't mean I'll have to go back
> and fix all the system settings after I reboot, anymore.  Nor will the
> system tell me that it detected a new video card, when in fact I've
> never had the OEM's card out of its slot, anymore.  Nor will the system
> suddenly die because some software component I'm not even using barfs
> over memory management issues, anymore.  And when I upgrade the OS, I
> won't have to go out and *buy* a new driver for the mouse that's made by
> the same people who make the OS, anymore.
>
> Sheesh.  I can't believe how long I put up with all that.  I think when
> word gets out to the general public that all that kind of stuff isn't
> "natural" for computers, MS is going to face a "biggie sized" backlash.

As more and more corporate desktops get Linux....the stampede
from Microshaft will start.

> Bobby Bryant
> Austin, Texas

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: SwifT - <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Subject: Re: Nobody wants Linux because it destroys hard disks.
Date: Sat, 9 Dec 2000 19:14:46 +0100

On Sat, 9 Dec 2000, Swangoremovemee wrote:

> No I wouldn't buy it, but you would be hard pressed to find hardware
> that isn't supported by Windows unless it is totally machine specific
> like a memory card for a Sparc or something.

That's not the point you were attacking. AND if some hardware isn't
supported for Windows, it'll take a long time before it will. With Linux,
you wont have to wait that long...

--
 SwifT

------------------------------

From: SwifT - <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Date: Sat, 9 Dec 2000 19:13:12 +0100

On Sat, 9 Dec 2000, Swangoremovemee wrote:

> Isn't that like saying "well the car supports tires but nobody makes
> the proper size" so in effect that car you bought is going nowhere?

No, it's like saying "well the helicopter supports driving through the
city like a car, but there is no law YET to legalize it, so for the moment
you have to fly your way around"

--
 SwifT

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Blurry Fonts: Is there a solution?
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2000 13:25:33 -0500

"Bobby D. Bryant" wrote:

> tom wrote:
>
> > In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> >   "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > It's sharp with EVERY windows manager.
> >
> > Can't get much the clearer than that.  Then the answer is probably
> > somewhere in that Font Deuglification Mini HowTo.  Thanks.
>
> I think you guys are miscommunicating.
>
> What Aaron was saying, I think, is that if you use the indicated video
> cards with a high resolution, you get crisp text for Linux
> out-of-the-box.  I can second that, at least for the Millennium card.  I
> am currently using an old Matrox Millennium (circa '96, like his) at
> 1280x1024 resolution, and it looks great.  I have definitely seen
> Windows systems that were not nearly so clear.  (Unlike what the
> billfans do with Linux, I will not deceitfully generalize that to *all*
> Windows systems.)  I think that whatever system you are going to use, a
> good video card and a good monitor are going to be prerequisites to a
> fine view.  Whenever I build a system, I spend a pretty high proportion
> of my budget on the video card and monitor; after all, that's the part
> you actually deal with the most.  I would even buy a slower CPU if
> that's what it took to get a decent visual on the screen.  And I do some
> very CPU-intensive work.

You and I think alike.

People ask me why I spent so much money to get a 21" monitor instead
of a high-end CPU I said...I don't deal directly with the CPU, I don't
interact with the disk drives...

Nope...the whole purpose of all of the entire system is to generate
a display on the monitor screen.  Therefore, the primary focus of
all spending should be on a decent-quality display.

> Try the deuglification if you are not fortunate enough to have a nice
> card.  I can't vouch for the howto, because I've never had an
> opportunity to try it.  I may try it at work over the winter break,
> unless of course I can wangle a nicer video card.

Hell, the difference between a crud video card and a good video
card is only US $20.

> Bobby Bryant
> Austin, Texas

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Chris Ahlstrom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.ms-windows,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Linux is awful
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2000 18:26:01 GMT

SL News Posting wrote:

> The one thing that really has me wondering, however, is why folks
> haven't file beaucoup lawsuits against microsoft for creating software
> that enables the transmission of virii.

Maybe because they'd be too embarrassed to admit in court that
they're the idiot that opened the trojan?

Or maybe scared that Microsoft would countersue?

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2000 13:28:00 -0500

"Bobby D. Bryant" wrote:

> Swangoremovemee wrote:
>
> > Get used to it because you seem to be discovering already that simple
> > tasks under Windows become adventures under Linux.
>
> Back when I was unfortunate enough to run Windows, every boot was an
> adventure, since I never knew what winsanity I would have to fix before I
> could actually do anything.
>
> "simple tasks under Windows" is a myth.  See my post about Windows in the
> Chemistry department, in another thread.

By Microsoft's definition, hand-cranking a car to start it, and having
to do complete engine overhauls every 25,000 miles is easier to own, use
and maintained compared to those complicated cars with electric starters
and engines that last 300,000 miles (and go 100,000 between tuneups).

> Bobby Bryant
> Austin, Texas

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Caught me a Lino-Troll  Mr. T-Max
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2000 13:29:26 -0500

Swangoremovemee wrote:

> "It Don't Mean a Thang if it Ain't Got That Swang"

A perfect summation of your lack of intellectual development.

Here's a hint, swang-child....go back to your rap-ghetto.
This neighborhood is waaaaaaaaaay over your head.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: SwifT - <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 9 Dec 2000 19:24:22 +0100

On Fri, 8 Dec 2000, Bobby D. Bryant wrote:

> You know, even though I've hardly touched Windows for the past two
> years, I still have that habit so deeply ingrained in me that sometimes
> I have to remind myself that I really don't need to keep clicking the
> save button constantly, anymore.  And that it's OK to move the mouse
> while waiting for some operation to finish, because it won't hang my
> system, anymore.  And that when I move a file to another directory, I
> don't have to look to see whether it actually moved it, anymore.  And
> that when 'df' tells me I have four drives/partitions mounted, I really
> do have four, and I don't have too look at the names to see whether the
> OS has incorrectly mounted one of three devices twice, anymore.  And
> that it's OK to change the screen settings on a whim, because I won't
> have to reboot to make them take effect, anymore.  And if I decide to
> power down when I go on vacation, it doesn't mean I'll have to go back
> and fix all the system settings after I reboot, anymore.  Nor will the
> system tell me that it detected a new video card, when in fact I've
> never had the OEM's card out of its slot, anymore.  Nor will the system
> suddenly die because some software component I'm not even using barfs
> over memory management issues, anymore.  And when I upgrade the OS, I
> won't have to go out and *buy* a new driver for the mouse that's made by
> the same people who make the OS, anymore.

True. You don't know how much of this I feel as well.

--
 SwifT

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: HardcoreLinux.com domain name for sale
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2000 18:15:21 GMT

HardcoreLinux.com domain name is for sale. Here's some info:

HardcoreLinux [ http://www.hardcorelinux.com ] is an active website
with an intelligent and loyal readership.

It's listed with all major search engines and directories (including
Yahoo), with top ten ranking on keyword queries like "free linux
games", "free linux tutorials".

HardcoreLinux has a strong online presence, enforced with promotional
banners and an identifiable logo.

Many sites link to HardcoreLinux, including major websites like
Linux.com and LinuxWeeklyNews.com

HardcoreLinux has CrushTux the mascot. The free desktop background is
here: http://www.hardcorelinux.com/crushtux.htm

Tutorials, howtos and other original open source related
content.

Generates a small amount of capital, with potential for much more.

If you have any questions or would like to make an offer, you can
contact me via email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Travis)
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2000 18:15:36 GMT

And Swangoremovemee spoke unto the masses...
>T.Max is  the same person as Anonymous. Notice how he posted under
>the name but signed his name T.Max?

No shit sherlock.  Somehow when you sign your name with the same sig for
everyone to see, I don't think you are trying to be discrete.  Besides, with any
name his posting style should be recognizable.  I liked it better when you were
Steve and you actually _promoted_ LM 7.0 for a week or so (mainly becuase it
automagically set up your SB Live :-).

jt
--
Debian Gnu/Linux [Woody]
2.4.0-test9-ReiserFs|XFree4.0.1|nVidia.95 Drivers

------------------------------

From: "Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Windows 2000 sucks compared to linux
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2000 18:16:27 GMT

"Curtis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charlie Ebert) posted:
>
> | >Linux was used on the Titanic but the render farm had to be augmented by
> | >utilizing NT boxes after they had finished doing the design work.  The
Linux
> | >render farm, as designed wasn't up to the task.  If you are looking for
> | >referrences to what I say, check out the TITANIC thread in this group and
> | >COLA from about 20 months ago.
> | >

> | Just so the crowd doesn't think your full of shit,
> | give us just one link to a web site which proves this.
> |
> | Just one.
>
> http://linux.nuvoli.to.it/varie/titanic/2494.html
>
> You'll see that Digital Unix, NT and Linux were all used.
>
> Both NT and Digital Unix were not selected for the final rendering
> because of cost, not capability.

Here is the reasoning behind not using NT:
"Windows NT had several shortfalls. First, our standard applications,
 which normally run on SGI hardware, were not available under NT. Our
 software staff could port the tools, but that solution would be quite
 expensive. NT also had several other limitations; it didn't support an
 automounter, NFS or symbolic links, all of which are critical to our
 distributed storage architecture. There were third-party applications
 available to fill some of these holes, but they added to the cost and,
 in many cases, did not perform well in handling our general computing
 needs."

Cost of the OS wasn't a factor, it was the OS they were using.

The lack of an automounter? What for?

NFS? There are several freeware NFS client/servers for NT, and several
commercial ones for relatively little cost, so this argument seems
wrong or unresearched. This isn't a valid argument.

Symbolic links? NT supports hard links. They could've also used DFS
which supports all sorts of linking including symbolic links across
the network. This isn't a very valid argument either.

So basically it boils down to their software wasn't available on NT.

Which software was this, exactly? They didn't mention it, so we can't
validate the validity of this argument, but it will stand as a valid
one for the time being.

The primary argument against DUX was cost.

"The biggest limitations of Digital UNIX were cost and lack of
 flexibility."

So basically they didn't feel like using NT, and their software
didn't run on it (which sounds unlikely. However it was in 1997,
so the argument could be made), and DUX was too expensive.
Linux was chosen because NT didn't support the software.

That's essentially what it boils down to. This wasn't a victory
for Linux as much as it was a defeat for Digial Unix and
NT didn't win or lose.

-Chad

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2000 13:33:20 -0500

"Chad C. Mulligan" wrote:

> "Charlie Ebert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > On Fri, 08 Dec 2000 13:40:06 GMT,
> > Chad Myers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > >

> > >Look, I don't know what you're on, or what your problem is. No one is
> > >telling anyone what to do.
> > >
> > >All I'm saying is, if you want to do high end graphics and need the
> > >advanced graphic technologies like color correction, Linux is not the
> choice
> > >for you. Period. I'm sorry you have to face this fact, but it's the
> truth.
> > >
> > >If you like Linux, great, if you don't, who cares. If you want to do
> graphics,
> > >than Linux isn't the best OS. If you want the best OS for this, then
> something
> > >else would be in order.
> > >
> > >What's so bad about the truth?
> > >

> > Well I'll tell you...
> >
> > What's bad about your TRUTH is it's bullshit.
> > Linux is a better graphics station.  The proof can
> > be found in many places but the one I like the best
> > is the FACT the movie Titanic was made using Linux.
> >

> OH NO!  Not the Titanic thing again.  Where's Stephen when you need him.
> Linux was used on the Titanic but the render farm had to be augmented by
> utilizing NT boxes after they had finished doing the design work.  The Linux
> render farm, as designed wasn't up to the task.  If you are looking for
> referrences to what I say, check out the TITANIC thread in this group and
> COLA from about 20 months ago.

Chat, that's a goddamned lie, and you know it.

The render farm was originally 100% NT, and couldn't hack it--causing
the project to start slipping behind schedule.

They started converting the renderfarm to Linux as quickly as
possible (without interrupting ongoing processes), and were more
than 2/3 converted by the time the work was done

> > If you examine Hollywood at large, very little in the
> > way of the graphic arts are performed with Windows.
> > They mainly use FreeBSD, Linux and Macs but
> > Windows is hardly used there.  This is also
> > true of commercial advertising.
> >

> Really funny, the company I work for at this time does support for Disney,
> Universal and are negotiating with Paramount and guess what not a Linux box
> to be found the VP at Universal says they can't use Linux because their
> internal TCO study found Linux too high compared to Windows NT.

Chad forgot to mention that it's managed by smurfs, and is part
of an intergalactic conglomerate.

> > Now your 'OPINION' may be that Windows is the
> > way to go but in 'REALITY' it's not the way
> > anybody is going.
> >

> OOPS  wrong again.
>

> > >Try pulling you head from the sand once in awhile and looking around.
> > >
> > >-Chad
> > >

> > I rest my case!  You are the Frank Burns of the internet.
> >
> > Charlie

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2000 13:34:04 -0500

kiwiunixman wrote:

> <snype>
>

> > Well I'll tell you...
> >
> > What's bad about your TRUTH is it's bullshit.
> > Linux is a better graphics station.  The proof can
> > be found in many places but the one I like the best
> > is the FACT the movie Titanic was made using Linux.
> >
> > If you examine Hollywood at large, very little in the
> > way of the graphic arts are performed with Windows.
> > They mainly use FreeBSD, Linux and Macs but
> > Windows is hardly used there.  This is also
> > true of commercial advertising.
> >
> > Now your 'OPINION' may be that Windows is the
> > way to go but in 'REALITY' it's not the way
> > anybody is going.
> >

> The lord of the rings use big fucking SGI workstations, not these limp wristed,
>
> so-called "workstations" running Windows 2000, Chad Myers craps on about.  Hello,
> why hasn't NT got a 64 bit journallying file system? BeOS has,
> IRIX has, Linux will have soon, why not NT?

Because they're not teaching that technology at Redmond High School.

> kiwiunixman

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Chris Ahlstrom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Windows review
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2000 18:34:21 GMT

Chad Myers wrote:

> Well, considering most can barely grasp the idea of double-clicking, hacking
> the kernel seems to be way to overbearing.
>
> Windows gives the appearance of being easy, but allows you to get down to
> the nitty gritty if you know what you're doing.
>
> Linux, OTOH, forces you to be a kernel developer to do the most basic
> things.
>
> It tries not to be, but the overriding arrogance built into it is overwhelming
> for a novice user.

Neat, I never knew an OS could be arrogant!

> Why would he want to do that? Most of them don't care, they're just
> writing documents to print out. Besides, who cares about those poor Linux
> users who painted themselves into a corner and are now whining for everyone
> else to cave to their demands.

You got it wrong, Chad.  Linux arose because a large group of people
decided to create an operating system that does what they want.