From: "Donal K. Fellows" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: switching to linux
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 11:07:47 +0000

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>   "migs" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> is there any diff between these distriburtions???
> I'd go with Caldera first, and either Suse or Redhat second.  Depends on
> your ability and your requirements.  But what the... you've got them
> all, why not install every one of them and then let us know how it
> worked out?  That'd be interesting to hear your opinions about them.

My advice only applies if you have a handy local expert:  Go with whatever
your handy local expert advises, since your turn-around on queries will be
much lower than virtually any online offering.

Donal.
--
"If something like this happened in the real world, not only would I be under
 NDA, but I would also be afraid of having my own personal butt involved in

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.unix.advocacy
Subject: Re: Caifornia power shortage...
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 11:19:01 -0000

On Mon, 11 Dec 2000 22:48:21 -0500, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Russ Lyttle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:
>
>>[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>>> You're clueless here.  It did not shutdown as designed, that's why there was a
>>> partial meltdown.

>>> So according to you, all the utilities that cancelled plants didn't know what
>>> they were doing.  You need to learn more before you shoot off.  Remember the
>>> phrase "its the economy stupid."  Well in this case, "It was economics
>>> stupid."
>>>
>>FYI, TMI safety worked as designed. The TMI incident released *less*
>>radiation into the atmosphere than a natural gas powered plant releases *each
>>day*.
>
>And your point is what?  That TMI was proven a safe plant by this point?  --

        READ what was written.

        The impact of the TMI "disaster" was less than the designed
        impact of a non-fission power plant.

[deletia]

        Things break. Good Engineers account for this.

        As long as the entire system operates to within acceptable
        specifications, botched individual details only serve to
        sensationalize the subject and prevent a rational cost
        benefit analysis from taking place.

                                                               / | \

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: Re: Nobody wants Linux because it destroys hard disks.
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 11:20:59 -0000

On Tue, 12 Dec 2000 07:36:45 -0500, Nick Ruisi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>You forget, that to 90% of windows-oriented users, the term "compile" is
>like mentioning black magic.

        Nah... it's "read and follow instructions" that is the real
        _Black Magic_...

--

        Also while the herd mentality is certainly there, I think the
        nature of software interfaces and how they tend to interfere

------------------------------

From: Tim Palmer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Suggestions for Linux
Date: 13 Dec 2000 04:21:59 -0500

Andres Soolo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> By getting a reel OS and using reel softwair that has graffix and not pipes.
>So, you want drag-and-drop pipes with graphically superior 3D textures?
>The idea is fun.  And it's so crazy someone might actually develop it.

Microsoft wil do it then  Linux wil take 10 yeres to coppy it.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Red hat becoming illegal?
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 06:40:39 -0500

Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:
> >
> > Jeffersonian liberalism is about freeing the individual.
> >
> > Modern (left-wing) "liberalism" is all about enslavement.
> >
> > Thus, their very self-designated monicker IS Newspeak.
> >

> > > Man, you are one crazy cat!
>
> And that last clause goes for you, too.
>
> I think I'll just call myself a freethinker.  Too many
> people have projected their own delusions onto the
> word "liberal".

If you think left-wing liberalism is about freedom, I suggest
that you go visit North Korea, Russia, China or Cuba, or talk
to any of the millions who risked their lives to escape the
Warsaw Pact countries to North America.

> Chris

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Subject: Re: A Microsoft exodus!
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 06:43:44 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> >> I'll adjust my statement as well: "Okay, it does require a puny amount
> >> of movement of the arm to get the pinkie down to the cursor keys, but
> >> it's so tiny and trivial that it never entered into my conscious thought,
> >> and it doesn't matter, since it it's merely a 'stretch' motion, which
> >> doesn't make you lose your place, like a 'swing' motion does.
>
> > You enjoy this game of replacing what I say fill-in-the-blank style,
>
> Enjoyment has nothing to do with it.  I'm simply noting that whatever
> you can say about Esc can be applied equally well to the cursor keys.
>
> > but the difference is that what I said was actually true.
>
> What I said is also actually true.  Where is the alleged difference?

Tholen...
  when you finally realize how utterly worthless your life is...
  remember to slit lengthwise.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 06:44:01 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> [...]
> of criteria.
>
> > (This is not the same as what Aaron was saying, that nothing can be
> > intuitive.
>
> That's not what he said.  He said that nothing about computers is
> intuitive.  He distinctly called a wagon intuitive.  It's now quite
> clear where the problem is:  you don't pay attention to what you
> read.
>
> > Things can be intuitive, but in a way that is not nearly
> > as universally applicable as the user interface designers trick
> > themselves into thinking.
>
> Who said anything about "universally applicable"?
>
> > There is no such thing as universal user friendliness, and there
> > is no such thing as *universal* intuitiveness.
>
> Irrelevant, given that I haven't encountered anyone in this discussion
> who believes otherwise.
>
> > User interface designers make assumptions about the
> > users' previous experiences without realizing it.)
>
> Some designers do realize it.

> >> Liking or hating it isn't the issue.  The issue is whether the cursor
> >> movement using those keys was intuitive or not.

> >> Remember it from what?
>
> > The first time I looked at the 'cheat sheet', saw the 'hjkl',
>
> Thus you needed to consult a "manual" of sorts.
>
> > I immediately recognized that they must have been chosen because of
> > thier proximity on the keyboard, and *poof*, I never forgot what
> > they were.
>
> Irrelevant, given that intuition is different from ease of remembering
> something.
>
> > I still didn't like the modal nature of it (yet), but
> > I never sat around pulling out my hair going, 'Oh, damn - what was
> > that command again - gee if only it were more intuitive so I could
> > remember.'
>
> Do all such vi commands fall into that category?

> >> That is one of my dislikes as well.

> >> It's slower for me.  So what?  Speed wasn't the issue either.
> >>
> >> Actually, I'm quite surprised at how much the discussion has
> >> diverged from the issue.  Seems like vi fans are trying to defend
> >> their choice of editor, as if the comment that the use of hjkl for
> >> cursor movement being non-intuitive was some sort of attack against
> >> which a defense had to be mounted.
>
> > It's becuase you *also* lace your comments with disparaging comments
> > about vi, as side points.
>
> What alleged "disparaging comments"?  I simply said that the use of
> hjkl for cursor movement was not intuitive, and the vi defenders showed
> up right after that.
>
> > In usenet, side points like this spawn replies all the time.
>
> What alleged "side points"?  I simply said that the use of
> hjkl for cursor movement was not intuitive, and the vi defenders showed
> up right after that.
>
> > It's not surprising at all.
>
> It that supposed to be some sort of justification for your diversions?

Tholen...
  when you finally realize how utterly worthless your life is...

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 06:44:57 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> >> Then where did your "You think it is" come from?
>
> > Sorry, I assumed that when you write things, you mean them.
>
> What did I allegedly write that made you say "You think it is"?
>
> > There I go being presumptuous again.
>
> More like a reading comprehension problem on your part.  You also thought
> that Aaron wrote that nothing is intuitive.

Tholen...
  when you finally realize how utterly worthless your life is...
  remember to slit lengthwise.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 06:45:29 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Steve Mading writes:

> >> Which is why Steve was being rather presumptuous.
>
> > I admit it - I was being presumptuous in assuming that if you had
> > some unique keyboard layout that was different, that you'd (1) be
> > honest enough to say so in this discussion,
>
> My keyboard layout is hardly unique.  That it is different is hardly
> to be unexpected, given the sheer number of different keyboards out
> there.
>
> > and (2) realize that youi're being silly to argue the merits of key
> > layouts for editors based on a very unique situation that won't work
> > for others.
>
> You're once again being presumptuous, given that my situation is
> hardly unique.
>
> > I apologise for presuming you would be honest and forthcoming.
>
> I have been honest and forthcoming.
>
> > Now I know not to make that mistake again.
>
> Where is the alleged mistake in that presumption?

Tholen...
  when you finally realize how utterly worthless your life is...
  remember to slit lengthwise.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 06:45:57 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> >> That's not my problem.  You were the presumptumous one.
>
> > Yes, I admit that I presumed you were referring to a keyboard that
> > is actually out on the market somewhere,
>
> I am.
>
> > rather than some home-made thing,
>
> Hardly.
>
> > or some proprietary laptop one-of-a-kind layout.
>
> Hardly one-of-a-kind.  I have no idea whether it's considered
> proprietary or not.
>
> > I also presumed you weren't lying.
>
> I'm not.
>
> > Admitedly, those presumptions could have been wrong.
>
> As well as your presumption that the Esc key is closer than the
> cursor keys.

> >> The cursor keys are close and easily whackable without looking,
> >> and without looking you can get your fingers right back to the
> >> home row without even feeling for the keys, my kinestetic sense
> >> just knows where to go, because I don't have to move the hand
> >> more than about 1/2 an inch, and that's a stretch-backward motion
> >> rather than a swing-sideways motion.
>
> > You enjoy this game of repeating what I say, replacing words with
> > a fill-in-the-blank replacement.
>
> There is no enjoyment involved.  I'm simply showing that the same
> situation applies to the cursor keys.
>
> > But there is one key difference:
> > What I said is actually universally true.
>
> Balderdash.
>
> > You are either lying or using some really unique keyboard layout
> > and not telling anyone.
>
> You just contradicted your "universally true" claim.  Nevertheless,
> the layout is hardly "unique".

> >> You were talking about staying by the hjkl keys.
>
> > Do you seriously expect anyone to believe that it is just as
> > hard to find home row after stretching single fingers at a time,
> > up and down one row (as in "yuiopnm") as it is after moving to
> > the arrow keys?
>
> "My kinestetic sense just knows where to go."
>
> > You're daft.
>
> And now you're getting insulting.  No surprise there, actually.
> It's not uncommon for people to resort to such language when
> they have nothing else.
>
> >> Irrelevant, given that I never stated otherwise.

> >> Except that three letters only provide three motions.  You need four
> >> for a two-dimensional screen.
>
> > Learn to count.
>
> You're erroneously presupposing that I don't already know how to count.
>
> > How many characters are there in "hjkl" and "jkl;" ?
>
> jkl is only three letters.

Tholen...
  when you finally realize how utterly worthless your life is...
  remember to slit lengthwise.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.