  Re: Nobody wants Linux because it destroys hard disks. (glitch)

From: Marty <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.unix.advocacy
Subject: Re: Kulkis digest, volume 2451894
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2000 02:08:46 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> As a sign of good faith to those of you who have complained,

Were these complaints allegedly made publically?

> I will now implement the same corrective measure that I have
> implemented in the past for other similar offenders.

Really?  You've determined that Aaron is posting for "entertainment
purposes"?  How so?

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: A Microsoft exodus!
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2000 02:14:16 GMT

Marty writes:

>>> Do you know of any volcano-based deities which can't be angered?

>> I don't know of any volcano-based deities that exist, Marty.

> That doesn't mean that there aren't any volcano-based deities.

It does mean that I don't know of any that exist, Marty.

>> Just more evidence that you are still playing your "infantile game".

> Rather, it's more evidence of your pontification.

Incorrect, given the presence of the evidence above, Marty.

>> Enjoying the absurdity, Marty?

> Certainly.  That's not evidence of playing an infantile game, however.

Yes it is, Marty.

> For example, I can enjoy the absurdity of Monty Python's "The Meaning
> of Life" simply by watching it on TV.

Irrelevant, given that you weren't the author, Marty.

>> I can make it even more absurd,

> Prove it, if you think you can.

Unnecessary.

>> if that's what you want.

> What I want is irrelevant.

Even more proof of your "infantile game".

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Travis)
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Subject: Re: Nobody wants Linux because it destroys hard disks.
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2000 02:07:41 GMT

And John W. Stevens spoke unto the masses...

>;-)
>
>BIG laugh!
>
>Thanks much for that . . . I'm running heavily patched kernels both at
>home, AND at work!  8-)
>
>--
>
>If I spoke for HP --- there probably wouldn't BE an HP!
>
>John Stevens
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]

No probelm :-).  I think the next thing to do is read up on software RAID.  It's
nice to see some people here (if only due to crossposting) who actually know
anything about computers, and can fend off a troll or two...

jt
--
Debian Gnu/Linux [Woody]
2.4.0-test9-ReiserFs|XFree4.0.1|nVidia.95 Drivers

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Travis)
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2000 02:12:17 GMT

And [EMAIL PROTECTED] spoke unto the masses...
>"John W. Stevens" wrote:
>
>> > ie: So how many people do YOU know running StarOffice?
>>
>> 139.  (140, if you count a three year old who starts it, then types
>> random stuff into it 'cause everybody else uses it, and three year olds
>> are "monkey-see-monkey-do" creatures).
>
>yeah. so name them.
>
>and 'a three year old' and 'a seven year old' do not count as names.
>
>y'r pal -kK

How did this question come up?  I can _assure_ you that the number of people who
run SO is *very* large.  It was kind of a standard for a while.  We'll see how
much koffice cuts into this, and what Open Office (looking very nice so far)
offer.

jt

Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2000 21:39:48 -0500
From: glitch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Steve Mading wrote:

> glitch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> : (1)if you aren't smart enough to read and even follow pictures (arrows)
> : then u shouldn't be voting OR you should ask for someone to read the
> : ballot to you. and if you are too embarrassed to ask for help then
> : that's tough. The help is there and if u can't take advantage of it it's
> : your fault.
>
> The ballots you saw as examples in the press didn't actually have
> the problem.  It was terrible reporting.  The arrows were nicely
> lined up with the holes in the examples.  But how would you vote
> if your ballot had arrows that were shifted with the binding so that
> they pointed partway between holes?
>
> One allegation was that the pages shifted in the booklets, and that
> can't be as easily discounted by calling the voters morons.

 The arrows were printed on the pages of the binder right next to the
holes so when someone moved the page of the binder the holes and the
arrows both moved b/c they were on the same piece of paper. Everything a
voter saw moved at once b/c they were all on teh same piece of paper
(the page of the binder).

How do YOU know that the ballots used in the reporting were not the ones
that the fuss is about? You aren't from FL so how do u know?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Travis)
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2000 02:16:29 GMT

And John W. Stevens spoke unto the masses...

>Wrong on all counts.
>
>And all the rest of the snipped stuff was wrong too.
>
>Ok, I'm satisfied . . . this guy doesn't have anything valid to say.

That's becuase he doesn't really know anything about which he complains.  Hence
the ^plonk^ factor gets pretty high in alt.linux.sux.  Some of them (like kK)
actually try to use the stuff, and can be amusingly sarcastic, even to the
wintrolls.

jt

Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2000 21:43:27 -0500
From: glitch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Steve Mading wrote:

> glitch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> : People can't read.  I found it hard to laugh when I was in high school
> : and a couple teachers would make the students take turns reading the
> : textbook and some kids would pull words out of their ass when reading
> : the text b/c they couldn't pronounce the word that was actually there OR
> : they were thinking too fast and thought it said something else.
>
> I can read just fine, and I would still probably sound like one of
> those people if I was reading aloud from a page.  I can only read
> fast when I'm not trying to speak what I'm reading.  I can speak
> fast when I'm speaking words that I generate myself from scratch.
> I can't speak fast when I'm repeating verbatim someone else's words.
> They don't feel right in my mouth.  It's like my mind is wired up such
> I cannot choose to read more slowly.  I must read at max speed.  But
> I can't talk that fast, so I end up speaking clumsily when I read
> aloud, becasue I have to keep my reading speed on a leash when I do
> that and it feels all wrong.

i can understand it if you are reading fast and can't slow yourself down
but I can assure you these kids were not reading fast and although they
could have been thinking too fast I doubt that was the case.  As we can
see now a lot of people can't read and yet they are allowed to go
through school like that somehow.  It probably started with what i
described above.  They makeup words to say that aren't on the page and
no one says anything. Of course some of that is b/c they don't want to
embarrass the person reading but the teacher should say something.  I
knew some of the kids relatively well and I know their comprehension
level and in some cases it wasn't that high so when they read a word
either they thought it was something else or they just tried to guess at
it b/c they couldn't prounounce it correctly.