  Re: Red hat becoming illegal? ("Aaron R. Kulkis")

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.os.os2.apps,comp.os.os2.misc,comp.os.os2.networking.tcp-ip
Subject: Re: Operating Systems? Where would you go next?
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2001 03:57:21 -0500

Gary Hallock wrote:

> John Brock wrote:
>

> > Having used both extensively I have to agree.  In particular I miss
> > the "ALL" command in Xedit, which has no counterpart in any other
> > editor I've used.
>
> Yep.

see the /g suffix (i.e. apply GLOBALLY) for : commands.

>  There are a number of implementations of xedit for Unix, Linux,
> and Windows.  Some, such as THE, are free open source.  THE now
> supports Object Rexx for the macro processor.

vi has a macro processor.

> Gary

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.os.os2.apps,comp.os.os2.misc,comp.os.os2.networking.tcp-ip
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2001 03:57:48 -0500

Gary Hallock wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:
>
> > John Brock wrote:
> > >

> > > Having used both extensively I have to agree.  In particular I miss
> > > the "ALL" command in Xedit, which has no counterpart in any other
> > > editor I've used.
> >
> > s/bad/good/g
> >
> > /g stands for GLOBAL.
> >

> You failed again.  I already told you in a previous post that this is not
> equivalent to ALL.   Why don't you look up the ALL command in the xedit
> manual and then get back to us.

What part of GLOBAL doesn't apply to all?

> Gary

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "kiwiunixman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Trouble logging in
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2001 08:58:46 GMT

the first step you could take would be to use the correct support channels

kiwiunixman

news:vny46.3031$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.os.os2.apps,comp.os.os2.misc,comp.os.os2.networking.tcp-ip,alt.os.linux
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2001 04:00:03 -0500

Gary Hallock wrote:

> Bob Eager wrote:
>

> > For reasons of interest only (and because I don't have access to an
> > XEDIT manual, having only used it once or twice) would you mind
> > summarising what the ALL command does? I'm interested....
>
> ALL is sort of like a find all.   It displays all lines containing the
> specified pattern.   But instead of simply moving to a line that matches the
> pattern, it displays all lines that match.  Any lines that do not match are
> disabled from being displayed.   You end up with a series of lines that match
> and delimiters that show the number of lines that  do not match.   It makes it
> easy to see all occurrences of a pattern without the non-matching lines
> getting in the way.   You can also selectively show non-matching lines above
> or below a matching line using the SHOW command.
>
> Gary

If you merely want to SEE the lines that match your pattern:

:r ! grep [pattern]

non-matching lines

:r ! grep -v [pattern]

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "kiwiunixman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Big government and big business: why not fear both - www.ezboard.com
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2001 09:01:20 GMT

for around 9 years!

kiwiunixman

> Peter Hayes wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, 03 Jan 2001 22:50:04 -0500, "Aaron R. Kulkis"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

------------------------------

From: "kiwiunixman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: mail reader
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2001 09:01:27 GMT

the first step you could take would be to use the correct support channels

kiwiunixman
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "kiwiunixman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Spambot Fodder, Dont Read  9772
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2001 09:03:37 GMT

you ISP has just been imformed of you spam, have a nice day

kiwiunixman

news:pwR36.118802$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.os.os2.apps,comp.os.os2.misc,comp.os.os2.networking.tcp-ip
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2001 04:03:54 -0500

John Brock wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >John Brock wrote:

> >> Having used both extensively I have to agree.  In particular I miss
> >> the "ALL" command in Xedit, which has no counterpart in any other
> >> editor I've used.
>
> >s/bad/good/g
> >
> >/g stands for GLOBAL.
>
> Not even close.  What you have given is the equivalent of the Xedit
> CHANGE command, something all editors have.  The ALL command is
> quite different; it allows you to view and *edit* a subset of the
> current file.  For example if you entered "ALL /foo/" then only
> those lines in the file which contained "foo" would be displayed.
> Even if there were a thousand such lines you could scroll up and
> down and see them all (along with the correct line numbers).  More
> important, you could freely edit any of those lines.  When you were
> done you just entered "ALL" again (without any arguments) and the
> entire file would be displayed again, including all of your changes.

vi

"/" = search forwards for regular_expression
"?" = search backwards for regular_expression
"n" = repeat search in the same direction
"N" = repeat search in the opposite direction

/some_pattern    moves cursor to some_pattern
n               moves to next occurance of some_pattern
n               moves to next occurance of some_pattern
(repeat as necessary)
N               move in the opposite direction

> In fact with later versions you could first look at all lines
> containing "foo" and then hide all those containing "bar", after
> which you could unhide all lines containing "xyz" (none of which
> necessarily contained either "foo" or "bar".  The ALL command is
> incredibly useful, and I really miss it in vi.  As far as I know
> you will only find it in Xedit derived editors (although my knowledge
> of editors isn't all that wide, so maybe it is implemented elsewhere
> after all).
>
> PS: I accidentally e-mailed this to you when I meant to post.  Sorry!

No biggie.  I make that same mistake a lot, too.

> --
> John Brock
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2001 09:09:27 +0000
From: Jacques Guy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux *has* the EDGE!

kiwiunixman wrote:

> As I have always said, for every 1 Linux moaner there are 5 happy Linux
> users.

Right on!  Count me with the moaners.  Wot, I haven't found a way  to
reset to score  board of the Shisen-Sho  game provided with Mandrake
7.0. Clearly, Linux sucks...  er.... Lie-nux suxx (Tim, where are
you when I need you?).  The solution, however, is obvious: do a
low-level format on my two hard disks, upgrade  my RAM to 256M,
shell out  a few hundred, and, joy of joys! install Windows 2000,
with fingers crossed -- will my antiquated Syquest drive show up?
How about my Scanjet? Oh, it's only a (biiiig) fistful of dollars.
I am fond of  saying "Money grows back, life does not." Sure.
I'll plant my money elsewhere than in Redmond.
Like, in a few bottles of malt whisky. At least, I get a choice
there.

------------------------------

From: "kiwiunixman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ~~~Search for computer help (within text) Free!!!
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2001 09:07:40 GMT

Thank you for the posting, your ISP has been informed of you spam, have a
nice day.

kiwiunixman

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Red hat becoming illegal?
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2001 04:09:03 -0500

Johan Kullstam wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > Isn't it interesting.... Democrats in control ==> Poverty.
>
> or perhaps it's the other way around and poverty ==> democrats.

Ever notice how NO community has ever gotten OUT of poverty
while the Democrats were running it.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.