From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Whistler/.NET will Help Linux
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2001 02:49:23 -0500

Charlie Ebert wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Aaron Kulkis wrote:
> >>
> >> Now that we have the KGB records this is true.
> >>
> >> But the people he went after were the wrong people.
> >
> >The people he went after would have suffered not in the least
> >if they had merely turned states' evidence and simply turned
> >in the deeply burrowed traitors and moles.
> >
> >They knew names, but refused to reveal them.
> >
> >However, they thought preserving their ideology was more important
> >than loyalty to their fellow citizens, and the very Constitution
> >which keeps them free.
> >
> >So the suffered for it.
> >
> >Personally, I wish they had suffered even more devestating
> >repercussions.
> >
> >Treason is bad enough.  Treason for the purpose of replacing
> >freedom with tyranny is absolutely inexcusable.
> >

> I'll bite.  This looks like a good one.
>
> Okay.
> #1.  Not everybody he ran thru the mill fit this catagory.
> #2.  If this reasoning were true, they we should be putting
> suspected witness's of murders on trial as we suspect they
> knew how done it.

We do that all the time.  When journalists publish articles
that indicate that they know WHO committed some criminal act,
they are ROUTINELY dragged in before a grand jury and told to
reveal the source, under penalty of being jailed for contempt
of court.

And if they fail to tell who ("I can't reveal my sources"),
they go to jail...AND THEY STAY THERE until their memory improves.

> To transport Linus back in time, we would find him on trial
> as he's from a communist government....  I think his father
> is still a reporter in Moscow actually.

That's not the point.  We didn't give a fuck about Communists
operating in Communist countries.  Congress was looking for
active Communists WORKING IN THE UNITED STATES GOVERNMENT.

> Then there's the aspect of the CIA and all their actions.

They did have a couple successes.  One was a combined op with
the Navy.  They put some inductive taps with internal audio
tape equipment on underwater telephone cables going out to
remote military installations  (like one at the tip of the
Kamchatka peninsula...looking at the map, it's easy to see
that it's simpler to lay the cable under water than to
route the cable overland.  Another one was installed
somewhere on the northern coastline, on a line that crossed
through some bay or another...up in the Murmansk/Archangel
area.

But yeah, it's sad...the CIA descended from the OSS (Office
of Strategic Services), a WW2 organization which did a really
good job.

If the CIA had stuck to their original charter (that is, merely
collecting, organizing, and analyzing the intelligence data from
the armed forces Intelligence services (Army Intelligence,
Naval Intelligence, and Air Force Intelligence) and the
State Department's internal intelligence organization, plus
whatever FBI and NSA gathered, they would have been OK.

But, alas, they decided that they wanted to have their own
private army of cowboys.  CIA's charter does *NOT* give
them permission to carry on any operations themselves.

This is what lead to the problems.  Once they crossed outside
of the law...."well, hey...we're already breaking the law, who
cares if we break another"....and it goes downhill from there.

> It just tickles me pink to know now that the CIA was nowhere.
> Yet the FBI had two people working directly for the premier
> and were sending Hoover reports monthly.  Sometimes reports
> would come every 2 weeks!  And this went on for over a
> decade!

They had two fantastic sources.

One was...the Soviet Embassy in Washington, D.C.  The FBI
convinced Xerox to let them insert of their agents as the
service tech for the Xerox machines in the SU embassy.

The Agent then put a microfilm camera in the copier, such
that EVERY time the a new page was copied, the microfilm
camera took a picture of it.  Part of the technician's job
was to change the microfilm on a regular basis.

The other was putting a fax-style scanner into a document
shredder....so that every time someone shredded a document,
it got faxed off to the FBI by some manner or another.

> Imagine that.  That History channel is wonderful stuff.

Yes, indeed, it is.

> --
> Charlie
>
>    **DEBIAN**                **GNU**
>   / /     __  __  __  __  __ __  __
>  / /__   / / /  \/ / / /_/ / \ \/ /
> /_____/ /_/ /_/\__/ /_____/  /_/\_\
>       http://www.debian.org

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charlie Ebert)
Subject: Re: Interesting article
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2001 08:00:54 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Aaron Kulkis wrote:

>So my Linux box with three IBM SCSI drives resulted in payments to M$???
>
>UGH!!!!
>
>Remind me to start purchasing my disk drives on my trips to Russia...

I started a company and the name of that company was TC computers.

It was a sideline for me, not a full time business.
T stood for Texas and C stood for Charlie.

I built and sold PC's for 7 years.
My business depended on my contacts overseas.
I got drives from Taiwan.  All the parts came from various
contries in Asia.  My business at that time was part time
and I sold to other private business's like mainly insurance
agencies and doctors offices.  I specialized in Novel networks.

It was at that time, somewhere back in the late 80's when
I was informed of price increases via my Indian wholesaler
that I would have to port the cost of Windows on to my
customers as all the drives were going to be canned and
that if I ordered a blank drive that cost would be the same.

And I am to understand the Federal Courts ruled on this back
in the 90's sometime.  But this policy is where the drives
are made, not in the US.  You'd have to talk to somebody
in Taiwan about it.  A Federal Judge won't help you.

I got out of that business in the 90's and left it to
another man to run.  Dealing with the problems of AMD's
486-40 were eating my lunch.  And then there was that
little issue of Intel announcing your REALLY DID NEED
PENTIUM FANS IF YOU WERE GOING TO SELL PENTIUMS...

That sucked too for me.

But I made some freinds in the insurance industries
and from there I progressed further....

--
Charlie

   **DEBIAN**                **GNU**
  / /     __  __  __  __  __ __  __
 / /__   / / /  \/ / / /_/ / \ \/ /
/_____/ /_/ /_/\__/ /_____/  /_/\_\
      http://www.debian.org

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: MS to Enforce Registration - or Else
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2001 03:00:44 -0500

Michael Vester wrote:

> Mike Flournoy wrote:
> >
> > in article [EMAIL PROTECTED], Dave Martel at
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote on 2/15/01 12:16 AM:

> > > Computers were designed using science so it's not surprising you need
> > > science to program them. Try using science to make sense of something
> > > created using religion or philosophy. Say, the Book of Tao?  :-)
> > >
> >  Read " The Dancing Wu Li Masters " by Gary Zukav. It does an excellent job
> > of re-enforcing one with the other. It is also the best and most readable
> > introduction to physics that I have ever read.
> >
> >               Mike
>
> Agree! "The Dancing Wu Li Masters" by Gary Zukav is a great
> intro into quantum mechanics. One of my 2nd year physics profs
> recommended it.  A must read for the budding philosopher.

The Cosmic Code is another one I would recommend.

Although i was already well-initiated into quantum physics by the
time I read it...it does a VERY good job of explaining it in a
way that is less-weird than most q.m. explanations.

> --
> Michael Vester
> A credible Linux advocate
>
> "The avalanche has started, it is
> too late for the pebbles to vote"
> Kosh, Vorlon Ambassador to Babylon 5

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2001 03:01:31 -0500

Charlie Ebert wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Aaron Kulkis wrote:
> >Unfortunately, they failed in that mission....which is too bad.
> >
> >They should have divided them up into 3 pieces
> >
> >1 OS company, and TWO applications companies... In competition with
> >each other.
> >

> This is another way.  But if you followed my original idea
> of making an OS - Applications - and development tools as
> seperate chunks you would have accomplished the goal much
> quicker as the development tools are necessary for those
> applications to exist.

Hmmmmm, never even thought about that way of slicing it up.
that's a good one.

> It also quickly gives Borland a remedy as they make better
> development tools anyway.
>
> I won't get into a pissing contest here.
> Either way *WOULD* work.
>
> As a developer, I think like one.
>
> --
> Charlie
>
>    **DEBIAN**                **GNU**
>   / /     __  __  __  __  __ __  __
>  / /__   / / /  \/ / / /_/ / \ \/ /
> /_____/ /_/ /_/\__/ /_____/  /_/\_\
>       http://www.debian.org

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: .NET is plain .NUTS
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2001 02:58:33 -0500

Charlie Ebert wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Aaron Kulkis wrote:
> >Actually, I'm not sure what the intent was....but the way I read it
> >was this:  Republicans are interested in COST-EFFECTIVE solutions.
> >That is to say...they don't just blindly think that everything is
> >going perfect....they tend to go back, and check to see if the results
> >are consistant with their initial assumptions...and if there is a
> >conflict between the two, they adjust their assumptions before
> >attacking the problem again.
> >

> Let's quit beating around the bush here.
> I'm not a traitor to any employer I've ever had.
> I'm not about to turn in an employer I've had.
>
> What I'm merely pointing out is that software is being pirated by
> *THESE* millionaires/billionaires and that's a fact.
>
> It is THEIR feeling,,,,  well let me just repeat what one of them
> told me one morning when I questioned buying licenses.
>
> "MR. EBERT, I bought this copy of Microsoft OFFICE.  This CD is mine!
> This office your standing in is MINE.  You are MY employee and this
> CD is MY PROPERTY.  Because this CD is MY property and YOU ARE
> MY employee you will do with this CD what I TOLD YOU TO DO or
> you can get out.  You don't OWN this place.  If you don't LIKE IT
> HERE you can just pack your bags and GET OUT.  Now install this
> CD across the computers I told you to install them on as I TOLD you
> to do and do it NOW!"
>
> And all I was trying to do was to highlight the possibility of his
> being thrown into legal difficulties by fulfilling this ORDER.
> I wasn't trying to TELL HIM what to do.

Exactly.

And this is the *ONLY* way that M$ can be cost effective.

Once a corporation actually has to pay the even reduced license fees
for EVERY installation of M$ shitware, they will stampede to Linux.

Hell, if Linux weren't here, that might be enough motivation to stampede
to Solaris for x86.  But since Linux *IS* here, it will definitely be
a stamped to Linux.

> >XP and .NET will SERIOUSLY strain the assumption that Mafia$oft
> >platforms are anywhere close to cost-effective.
> >

> Well when you consider that some EMPLOYERS consider ONE COPY
> of Windows NT or One copy of Microsoft Office THEIR property
> to do with as THEY WISH, then certainly .NET will be offensive
> to these foreigners.  I call them foreigners/REPUBLICANS as
> appearently they don't even attempt to conform to the laws
> of this land.  And this is the side of REPUBLICANS I see outside
> of my own personal family.  It has a disgusting side.

Now you know why I'm Libertarian.

Both the Demoncrooks and the Republicans are not only philosophically
inconsistant...but the way to make up for the inconsistancies is
to use the government as a tool for extortion, intimidation, and
blackmail.

What I like about the Libertarians is that their guiding principle
is that the government shall NOT be allowed to engage in any of the
above activities against law-abiding citizens (law breakers, of
course, are rightful targets of intimidation).

> >Especially when ONE $100 copy of a "professional" grade Linux
> >distribution can be ***LEGALLY*** loaded onto every machine
> >at a 1500 desktop facility.
> >
> >--
> >Aaron R. Kulkis
> >Unix Systems Engineer
> >DNRC Minister of all I survey
> >ICQ # 3056642
> >

> I was actually CHEWED once for asking the simple question, why
> are we buying 3 copies of OS/2?  This was back when OS/2 was
> one of our objectives...  I was given another mild ass chewing
> and told finally that one was for the vault, one was to be used
> to install with, and the other was to be used when the first
> one quit working.  And there you go.
>
> And they always came in 2's or 3's just like that.
>
> So absolutely, .NET will be a shock for these REPUBLICANS as
> they won't be able to have things THEIR WAY anymore if they
> choose to run Windows.
>
> I also recall discussing LINUX with this same individual
> and his comment was at that time, are infrastructure is tied
> up in Windows and I don't even want to consider trying Linux.
> That the idea wasn't cost effective and that I was silly for
> suggesting he waste money doing it when it wasn't necessary.
>
> And I find time and time again that REPUBLICANS will only
> move if they have a gun pointed at their heads.  So the next
> go around will probably be toward Linux as they will have
> no other alternatives at that time.
>
> And you can bet there will be 3 boxes of RedHat bought at that time.
>
> But let's switch gears here a minute.
>
> Some employers have software audits and actually TRY to keep
> licenses current.  And for THESE employers they will keep
> THEIR Windows bases.  And for their trouble they will have
> to deal with Microsoft and the Software Police every time
> one of their employee's get's out of line and installs
> something they shouldn't have.  It will be a constant
> battle for these people to keep their heads above water.
>
> I predict that THEY TOO will eventually leave Microsoft
> for the headache Free Linux merely to avoid further
> entanglements with attorney's and book-keeping.
>
> But it will take them longer to come to this conclusion.
>
> Do you SEE the pattern here boy's and girl's!
>
> The honest company is behind the dishonest one in technology
> and also money.
>
> --
> Charlie
>
>    **DEBIAN**                **GNU**