From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Subject: Re: Linux is crude and inconsistant.
Date: 11 Jan 2001 14:36:47 +1100

[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

>On 10 Jan 2001 23:13:38 +1100, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>>This would appear to be so much baloney, especially as you still seem
>>blissfully unaware of the on-board SCSI. But anyway --- the drives, both
>>of them, are original IBM.

>Wrong. The BIOS on the SCSI card looks for an IBM copyright on the
>drive EPROM and if it doesn't find one you are SOL.

Hello? Are you reading this? "ONBOARD SCSI" is not a SCSI card. It's,
quite surprisingly, "on board".

>The fix was to call Future Domain and get the standard Future Domain
>Eprom and plug it on the card.

OK. Please describe exactly where this EPROM is located in my Model85.
But please be aware that the Adaptec SCSI *card* that also was in the
machine when I got it is now in my "misc computer cards" box.

>It is a fact.

I find it amazing how someone who first referred to the Model 85 as
a "lappy" and suggested my problems with it were due to ACPI now
suddenly seems to claim exhaustive experience with it.

>>>Try buying cards for it and see how standard it is :(
>>
>>I have been doing that. I have also turned down cards for it --- not
>>much point having a sound card in a machine upstairs ;-)

>You found a sound card for a Microchannel machine?

Yes. So what? Does that really surprise you?

Bernie

--
The chief distinction of a diplomat is that he can say no in such
    a way that it sounds like yes

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Could only...
Date: 11 Jan 2001 14:51:30 +1100

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charlie Ebert) writes:
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>>OK, so Mr. Deep Thinker, how do *you* explain that Houston muggers
>>and Melbourne muggers operate differently?

>I think I'll refer this to the other gentlemens comment above.

>In Australia the just dump the clip into you and then take
>what they want.

Do they just? And you'd say this based on following Australian news every
day, right?

Well, at http://www.theage.com.au/cgi-bin/archive.pl, you can access a 4 week
archive of The Age, one of Australia's biggest daily papers. May I kindly
request you find any reference to someone "dumping the clip" into someone
else and afterwards robbing them in there, and provide a URL?

Or you could start at http://www.newstext.com.au/pages/samplesrch.asp
and take it from there. Think you can find any instance of armed robbery
in which the robber shot first, then robbed?

Bernie
--
You see things, and you say 'Why?'  But I dream things that never were,
    and say 'Why not?'

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Windows 2000
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 08:58:24 -0500

Charlie Ebert wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> Aaron R. Kulkis wrote:
> >JM wrote:

> >> I think everyone here agrees that Aaron just posts countless amount of
> >> shite every day.
> >>
> >> And he lied about being in the Gulf.
> >>
> >> And he's a right-wing gun nut.
> >
> >I'm a Libertarian, asshole.
> >
> >I detest right-wingers just as much as I detest left-wingers like you.
> >
> >The only difference between Fascists and Communists is who they kill first.
> >
> >Gun nut?  My only interest in guns is the sum of
> >a) What the ARMY trains me in the use of arms and
> >b) what the Constitution spells out as my responsibilities as a citizen.
> >       "the Militia != National Guard; militia units are much more
> >       locally oriented...volounteer fire fighters; police; sherrif's
> >       posse's; emergency rescue crews; etc.
> >

> >--
> >Aaron R. Kulkis
> >Unix Systems Engineer
> >DNRC Minister of all I survey
> >ICQ # 3056642
> >

> YEAH!
>
> And if you are in need of a good GUN always remember it's
> all in the caliber baby!

Damn straight.  Did you hear that the DoD contracted for more .45 cal
pistols?  It seems that the spec-ops guys were sick of having the choice
of pissy-9's or ad-hoc collections of .45 cal equipment.

> Charlie

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Subject: Re: KDE Hell
From: Ketil Z Malde <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 14:04:00 GMT

"Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>> Unless you've been living under a rock, you are aware that
>> Linux is the reigning specweb champ on 8 way systems?

> With a server that no one use, big deal.

You think SWC is more common than TUX, is that it?  Somehow, I don't
think something Microsoft suggest shouldn't be deployed with dynamic
content is what 20% of the net uses.

-kzm

Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
From: Ketil Z Malde <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 14:05:27 GMT

Kyle Jacobs <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Although Linux 2.4 & Windows NT & 2000 support SMP, Linux's
> performance tends to top-off after four processors.  Windows does
> not have this problem.

And your basis for this claim is...?

-kzm

From: "MH" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 09:10:40 -0500

> Joe Home Developer can't afford to blow thousands on proprietary dev
> tools. BTW, the Linux dev tools are very good. They're not as pretty
> and slick as what's available on Windows, but they're certainly very
> functional.

'Joe' can purchase windows dev tools at educational prices by taking one
stinking class at a CC.
Not slick? By slick I suppose you mean more productivity?

> >I still think you have to get users to the desktop in order to give 'Joe'
> >reason to invest in a radically different dev platform. (other than ANSI
C)

> ANSI C ? How about C++, Perl, Python, and PHP ? GTK, GNOME, etc.

Writing portable code is no trivial matter once you get beyond address books
and basic I\O.
Even ANSI C doesn't always port well from linux to windows. To use one of
your favorite shit hurling specials: "...[]...you'd know that if you knew
anything about programming"

> >BTW, I like how you trimmed your obligatory 'luser' from your post.
> >Wonder how long that gets kept swept under the rug?

> I wonder how long you're going to keep repeating it for ?

Until reasonable folks realize the LinZealot for what he\she is.

------------------------------

From: "Les Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: open source is getting worst with time.
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 14:10:55 GMT

"Stuart Krivis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On Wed, 10 Jan 2001 07:43:32 GMT, Stuart Fox <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> >> Doesn't making an answer or ini file imply that you must already
> >> know the answers to all the possible questions?   What if
> >> you don't?
> >>
> >Typically when installing one of the MS apps you do know all the
> >answers.  If it turns out for some reason it doesn't work (eg running
> >out of hard disk space) it errors out without a gui window (since
> >you're running it in silent mode).  Typically it'll log the
> >installation process somewhere, either a text file or the event log (or
> >both).
>
> Ok, I'll move the goal posts a bit...
>
> It isn't possible to do an interactive installation from the command line
with
> most Windows software.
>
> There is unix software with this problem too, but it is less common.
>
> And then we get into the whole issue of graphics and why a headless server
> needs a graphics subsystem built into the kernel...
>
> Windows has a command line, but it has been de-emphasized for normal
operation.

> Many people prefer a text CLI for remote administration. Since my servers
are
> in another room, and are headless, all administration of them is remote.
> Windows is harder to work with in such a situation.

If you haven't already, you should investigate vnc.  It is free, works
cross-platform
and can be configured to start as a service on NT/2k so it comes up even
before a login is needed.   It is painful over a modem (even over a local
net, a text CLI would be better...) but it beats driving 20 miles to restart
a program.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Ballmer says Linux is Microsoft's No. 1 Threat
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 09:12:09 -0500

jtnews wrote:

> A while back he said that Linux was no threat
> at all.  Why the change?

Denial ain't just a river in Egypt.

> Adam Warner wrote:
> >
> > http://www.techweb.com/wire/story/TWB20010110S0006

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Les Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: You and Microsoft...
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 14:14:35 GMT

"Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:uGd76.288$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > >The Windows setup files are all 8.3 conformant.  We were talking about
> > using
> > >a network card, not a modem.
> >
> > I thought we were talking about installing from the internet so both
> > netcards and modems are relevent here.
>
> As if installing Linux via modem is feasible.

If you have an ftp client that knows how to restart after a failure you
should be able to grab iso images in a few nights, or download
a distribution to a local hard drive or nfs share.  With a cablemodem
it is quick and easy.

From: "Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux 2.4 Major Advance
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 14:00:52 GMT

"Adam Warner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:93jbt6$iri$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Hi Chad,
>
> If this really necessary?
>
> > > "Linux performance and scalability is architecturally limited in the 2.2
> > > Kernel."
> > >
> > > Wouldn't want to mention the 2.4 kernel would we?
> >
> > Hmm, hasn't really changed much.
>
> Here's some information about the 2.4 kernel:
>
> http://linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2001-01-05-007-04-NW-LF-KN
>
> A small quotation:
> "A number of changes in Linux 2.4 can be described as "enterprise level."
> That is, they may not be immediately useful to many desktop users but work
> to strengthen Linux as a whole. For the most part, the addition of these
> features does not degrade Linux in more "normal" environments. First, Linux
> 2.4 can handle many more simultaneous processes by being more scalable on
> multiprocessor systems and also by providing a configurable process limit.
> Second, the scheduler has been revised somewhat to be more efficient on
> systems with a larger number of concurrent processes. Third, the revised
> Linux kernel can now handle an amazing number of users and groups-- about
> 4.2 billion. (And that's a lot of users!) In addition, support for more
> powerful hardware is provided in the new kernel, which now supports up to 64
> gigabytes of RAM on Intel hardware, up to 16 Ethernet cards, 10 IDE
> controllers, multiple IO-APICs, and other pointless abuses of good hardware.
> The 2-gigabyte file size restriction has also been lifted. With these
> changes and others, the Linux kernel development team is proving that Linux
> can be an option in many new environments."

They claimed Linux 2.2 was "enterprise ready" which was a big pile of crap.

2.4 is better, I'll agree, but it's still nowhere near the level of Win2K
DC, Solaris, HP-UX, AIX, etc.

As far as the "4.2 billion users and groups", it doesn't matter because
the security implementation in Linux is elementary. There is no support
for ACLs (without "unstable" add-ons), there's only the less-than-secure
permission bits option. There's no real directory service. NIS+ is about
the closest thing, but it's still no NDS or ADS level.

The 2gb file size has also NOT been lifted. There is still no "stable"
or "released" filesystem out there. RiserFS and ext3 are STILL in development
and both have caveats that may discourage their use.

> What Processor architectures does Windows 2000 run on by the way Chad?

What does it matter?
To answer your question, Win2K will run on any platform that it's ported to.

The NT kernel has been ported to many platforms, but MS only sells the ones
that people demand: x86 and IA-64.

> > > "The Linux community continues to promise major SMP and performance
> > > improvements. They have been promising these since the development of
> the
> > > 2.0 Kernel in 1996."
> >
> > And they still promise. And promise... and promise...
>
> Well it's just been pointed out to me that it still beats Win2k in an 8
> processor configuration. Not by much though.

URL?

> > > "Linux lacks a commercial quality Journaling File System."
> >
> > Still.
>
> Are you unaware that there are now a number of possible solutions, including
> one from IBM?
>
> February 2000 press release:
> http://oss.software.ibm.com/developer/opensource/features/jfs_feature.html

Released? Default FS on which distribution?

> ReiserFS:
> http://www.namesys.com/

Released? Default FS on which distribution?

> One testimonial:
> >From Source Forge
> http://ftp.sourceforge.net/ has 850GB storage, half of which is reiserfs,
> half is ext2. Both filesystems have been running flawlessly for > 4 months
> of production (actually longer, but wasn't reiserfs before). That server
> pushes between 15Mbit and 50Mbit/sec, and pulls/syncs about 2-5Mbit/sec,
> 24x7.

Anecdotal. I'd like to see it being used in a video or art production house
where >2GB files are the norm and they're moved around with a furious pace.
NTFS4 and NTFS5 handles it with grace. Linux isn't even considered because
it's a joke.

> reiserfs also powers the CVS tree filesystem for cvs-mirror.mozilla.org
> (also tokyojoe.sourceforge.net), which is the one and only anonymous CVS
> checkout point for mozilla. That server has run flawlessly under very heavy
> load since its birth.
>
> I don't get involved in kernel politics, but as a production filesystem,
> reiserfs is ok in my book.

Production? When was it released?

> SGI:
> http://oss.sgi.com/projects/xfs/
>
> > > "There are no commercially proven clustering technologies to provide
> High
> > > Availability for Linux."
> >
> > Still.
>
> http://www.missioncriticallinux.com/
> ^Concentrate on this link.
>
> http://linux-ha.org/

You can say it's HA all you want, but there is no infrastructure to support
it. You have to have strong vendor commitment to support a corporation
running HA, with Linux, it's a "I'll get around to it when I feel like it".

-Chad

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Does Linux envy Microsoft?
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 09:15:25 -0500

hackerbabe wrote:

> > Bottom line:
> >
> > When you're doing it with someone else's money, it's not altruism..it's THEFT.
>
> So when politicians push things like welfare on hard-working Americans, they
> are actually pushing the idea that it is right to force people to give what
> is unearned, "legal theft."

Precisely.

> Sent via Deja.com
> http://www.deja.com/

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Yatima)
Subject: Re: Linux *has* the EDGE!
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 14:16:56 GMT

On Thu, 11 Jan 2001 07:51:48 +0000, Pete Goodwin
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Terry Porter wrote:
>> Nope, I use both, for any lukers out there, Linux GUI runs the CLI in a
>> windowed "xterm","Aterm","rxvt","Eterm" or whatever you like. They mate
>> perfectly.
>
>Precisely my point. You use a GUI solely for running a terminal emulator.
>In other words you're a CLI user.
>
>> For instance my newsreader "slrn" runs on a old hercules b&w monitor, as
>> well as on my main Linux box with a 17" Apple Trinitron monitor, running
>> 1024*768 and the X Windows System.
>
>A CLI user.
>
>> On the b&w monitor its keyboard only, on the GUI, its mouse driven. Either
>> way SLRN beats the pants of Free Agent imho.
>
>A CLI/GUI?
>
>I don't use Free Agent, BTW. I use KNode.

Hey Pete. I can't speak for Terry but many of us simply use the best
(subjective, I know) app for the job and don't care if it's CLI or GUI.

My fave apps are (in no particular order): Vim (CLI and GUI but I like
the CLI better). XMMS (GUI), SLRN (CLI but with mouse support), Mutt
(CLI, but will launch appropriate programs when it needs to , like
electric eyes to view images), konqueror (GUI, but mozilla 0.7 might
make me switch as it looks good so far), links (CLI web browser with
support for frames and mouse!), and firestarter (GUI frontend for
iptables/ipchains based firewalls. Excellent program and extrememly easy
to use).

I really don't see CLI and GUI as being a big deal. I use SLRN over
knode (although I think knode is a very good news reader) because I find
it more featurful and easier to use (maybe not easier to learn however).

I really don't see what the big deal is. I've got a dual boot machine
Win98/Linux (Win98 mostly for games :) and I don't think an app being
CLI or GUI makes it better or worse. Why is clicking on a button somehow
superior to hitting a key or vice versa?

The one good thing about CLI apps, however, is that I can use them
remotely from any machine that has a terminal emulator (nearly all of
the ones I have encountered) and internet access.

Note: This is not a flame, I'm genuinely curious. Do you simply prefer
GUI apps for purely subjective reasons or do you think they are better
than CLI equivalents in all cases? Is neither of these correct?

Take care,

--
yatima

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 15:20:54 +0100
From: Bartek Kostrzewa <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> By your own scoring Bartek you have eliminated
> Windows.  Yet you still have favorable comments
> to make of this OS.
>
> Why?
>
> Charlie

Because Linux has its flaws too. And I'm not a zaelot, I like Linux and
use it as my everyday OS, but I find some things about Windows appealing
still, and credit where credit is due.

1) ease of use (that's for newbies, once it's set up correctly, it will
not fail, and configuration is something you won't have to worry about
again)

2) standardized package format (rpm is ok, but distro's should finally
adapt apt-get) [or for windows, the install/deinstall function, which is
nice]

3) hardware support (apart from the fact that Linux better supports my
hardware, Windows has better hardware support overall) [but that will be
cleared when 2.6.0 sees the horizon, I hope]

4) ISDN configuration (isdn4k is just crap) [SuSE has some nice tools,
apart from that, their distro is crap]

5) it needs a better browser, although this is not Linux' fault, now
that OS's are rather counted as solutions, not only as kernels, I can
clearly state that Linux misses a better browser (mozilla and konqueror
slowly getting there)

6) I'd like to play games too, lokigames is nice and I wish them well,
but they're overpriced and I hope to see more games in the near future,
and earlier releases.

That's about it, depending on your viewpoint, you could drop away 1)
[linux is easy to use, as long as you don't want to change any major
preferences] 5) [depending on you viewpoint this is not related to the
OS] 6) [again, depending on your viewpoint this can be counted as not
OS-related]

And now a flaw both OS's have:

Bloated GUI interface (where X is even more bloated [when running 3d
games with NVidia dirvers, 100 MB memory footprint, wtf? although this
got better with 4.0.2 now, it's still hopelessly bloated, framebuffer?
nah, want my 3d] than explorer)

PS: in a year or two, I'm sure I'll have not one negative about Linux to
post, now that many changes are happening, I see a great time for the
penguin!

--
Best regards,
Bartek Kostrzewa - [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Ketil Z Malde <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 14:20:47 GMT

"Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>> I thought we were talking about installing from the internet so both
>> netcards and modems are relevent here.

> As if installing Linux via modem is feasible.

Why not?

I routinely upgrade my Debian system over 64K ISDN, which is only a
bit faster than current modems.  It's not like you can't do other
stuff while installing, you know.

-kzm

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Subject: Re: Linux is easier to install than windows
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 09:20:18 -0500

Lewis Miller wrote:

> Richard Wright was heard ranting about <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> in
> alt.linux.sux on 07 Jan 2001
>
> >When I install Linux its as easy to do as Windows. The only hard parts
> >being the X configuration (there ought to be a new tool for this by now)
> >and the partitioning - which has to be done for Windows as well.
> >Everything else then falls into place for a great desktop operating
> >system.
>
> X configurators I've seen, can usually probe. But hey I also like being
> able to just enter the setting for my monitor and that be it, and it works.
> Unless I can find a friggin driver for my SGI monitor windows keeps telling
> me it can't handle the frequencys it says right in the specs that it can.
> Linux I just tell it what it can handle and it takes it. :) AH control. I
> like it.

Point & Click means getting stuck with whatever they shove at you....

> --
> l8r
> -LJM
>
> a.k.a. Jaster Mereel
> a.k.a. MrBobaFett
>
> "Little things used to mean so much to Shelly. I used to think
>   they were kind of trivial.  Believe me, nothing's trivial. "
>     -- Eric Draven, The Crow

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: pip <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: The real truth about NT
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 14:23:37 +0000

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> > I get 100% success with Windows 98 SE. What's your point?
>
> How much do you burn? My company burn's about 1000 CD's per month (all
> custom stuff for clients).

Then get better CDR software :-)
What has this got to do with the OS?

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Subject: Re: linux does NOT suck (oh yes it does)
From: Ketil Z Malde <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 14:25:53 GMT

"Les Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>> Admin software is POSSIBLE under Windows because of the registry.  Under
>> Linux, the /etc directory makes centralized administration IMPOSSIBLE.
>> Editing that "line of text" is, like every administrative action, not as
>> simple as it sounds.

Yeah, sure.  Distributed management is impossible on Unix.  Right.

> The advantage of text is not only it's simplicity but the fact that
> there are a vast number of tools to manipulate it, compare it,
> version control it and anything else you might need.

And comments!

-kzm