From: "JS PL" <jspl@jsplom>
Subject: Re: Microsoft should be feared and despised
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2001 09:39:49 -0400

"Matthew Gardiner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:9ah4hb$7id$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> hmm, sounds pretty funny that Microsoft is giving away a streaming media
> server,

They are? Last time I checked, they weren't giving away any server software.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chad Everett)
Subject: Re: Hailstorm: Heed the Warnings
Date: 5 Apr 2001 08:29:46 -0500

On Thu, 05 Apr 2001 02:12:32 -0700, GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Don't Ask wrote:
>>
>> Chad Everett wrote:
>>
>> > Don't believe me?...then read this:
>> >
>> > http://www.it-director.com/article.asp?id=1680
>>
>> But the article doesn't mention if you get a free toaster with it!
>
>Actually you do get a toaster, only you have to upgrade to the Pentium
>IV.  Just put the bread behind the fan exhaust. (Butter not included)

You only need a Pentium IV if you want to toast more than one slice
of bread at a time.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Something like Install Shield for Linux?
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2001 09:38:33 -0400

Andy Walker wrote:

> Kelsey Bjarnason wrote in message ...
> >"Paolo Ciambotti" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Chad Everett"
> >> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >>
> >> [snip]
> >>
> >> Or even worse, how much time have you spent trying to uninstall a program
> >> that InstallShield installed?  I uninstalled one of these kludges today,
> >> and the uninstaller put the application icon back on my desktop (I'd
> >> deleted it earlier), refused to remove empty directories, and left a
> dozen
> >> or so entries in the registry.  And then it had the gall to give me a
> >> "successfully uninstalled" popup.  InstallShield is precisely why
> >> companies buy Norton WinDoctor for their tech support.
> >>
> >> RPM has its faults, but InstallShield is not something to be emulated.
> >
> >Have you looked at what those settings are, what those folders are, etc?
> >Here's an all-too-frequent scenario:
> >
> >Install App1, which creates folder \test\A and registry key \test\A
> >Install App2, which creates folder \test\B and registry key \test\B
> >
> >So far so good, but now what happens when you uninstall?  Depends.  Lets'
> >assume you do those in the same order: uninstall App1, then App2.  You get
> >folder \test left behind, and reg key \test left behind.  Why?  Simple:
> >
> >InstallShield records what it creates.  When you installed App2, \test
> >already existed as a folder and a key, so App2's installer did _not_ create
> >it.  It also won't remove it; it quite sensibly takes the position that if
> >it didn't create it, it has no business removing it.
> >
> >So why didn't App1's uninstal remove it?  Well, when App1 was uninstalled,
> >the \test key and the \test folder still had contents that were not
> >installed by App1, so it takes the position that it probably shouldn't
> >remove it.
> >
> >Now maybe _you_ happen to know that removing that folder or that key is
> >safe; InstallShield, however, doesn't, so it plays it safe.  Some of us
> >think that given the choice between a strategy that leaves a little dross
> >behind and a strategy which doesn't put our machines at risk, the latter is
> >the better choice.
> >

>     If InstallShield is so great, how come everytime it is used to uninstall
> programs it seems to fail miserably with a message about not being able to
> uninstall some components without mentioning what the hell they are!
>     But we digress. The original query was what does LINUX need to improve
> it's installer.
> There is nothing particularly wrong with RPM's, just the interfaces and the
> fact that they cannot handle other packages such as Debian and tars.

rpm --list  __rpmfile_

tar tvf ___tarfile____

> What I was proposing was a GUI that installs and uninstalls the above
> packages and source code, builds from that source code for your machine, and
> enables you to select who has access to the resulting program, preferably
> without having to touch a keyboard!
> This way, old hands can continue to get repetitive strain injuries typing
> obscure strings of characters in a shell window (only joking) and the rest
> of us can just click on an icon.
> Another idea would be for the user to be given an internet address of where
> to get the latest copy of any dependancies that are not supplied, there is
> nothing more annoying than finding you need an obscure library to run your
> new app and not being able to locate it.

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chad Everett)
Date: 5 Apr 2001 08:33:39 -0500

On Thu, 05 Apr 2001 01:43:40 -0700, GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> [ -SNIP-]
>
>................................. In the NT side ... I don't know.  But
>I'm concerned for the majority of home users that bought their machines
>at the local stores with Win98 or WinME installed.  You have to ask for
>a Win2k machine in these stores and most don't carry it.

Ask for Win2K and you'll hear....Uh...that's for "business" users and
you can't run a lot of games on it.

translation: They don't know diddly about the products they sell.  Mind
numbed windows pushers.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2001 09:44:08 -0400

Zed Mister wrote:

> It's irrelevant.  If we block access, we'll get so many calls that we'd have
> to quadruple the technical support staff (understatement) to deal with it.

And so this justifies letting confidential communications become
the property of Mafia$oft how, exactly?

> Furthermore, once we explain to the users what we have done and why, they
> will cancel their accounts with extreme prejudice and we'll likely lose a
> large majority of our customer base.  So, yeah, I don't think the company
> wants to go bankrupt for something like this.  The problems of Microsoft's
> licensing agreements pale in comparison to having no company at all.

False premise.

> "Rick" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Are you saying (assuming Chad is correct in his interpretation) that
> > your company doesnt mind any commuications it sends through Hotmail
> > becoming the property of Micro$oft?

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Roberto Alsina)
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,us.military.army,soc.singles
Subject: Re: Communism
Date: 5 Apr 2001 13:46:36 GMT

billh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>"Aaron R. Kulkis"
>

>> Roberto truly believes that shit....
>
>Then maybe you've finally found someone that will believe your bullshit
>lies.  Tread carefully Roberto has the potential to become your only friend
>here.

Don't hold your breath on that ;-)

--
Roberto Alsina

------------------------------

From: "David Jordan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Phases
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2001 20:43:24 +0200

   First you learn Windows, then you discover things, then
you learn GNU/Linux, then discover things, then you back
to Windows to work quicker, but with a GNU/Linux
firewall between you and the net.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2001 09:47:10 -0400

Peter Köhlmann wrote:

> Chad Myers wrote:
> >
> > <sigh> Do you guys ever think for youself?
> >
> > Do you think that any such terms would ever stand up in court?
> > Of course not.
> >
> > Just because it's in a license agreement does not mean it's instantly
> > law.
> >

> Well, this was the only messages of Chad Myers, not to speak of Conrad
> and Jan (or is it Jon). Only one of that ilk still fending for MS is
> JS PL.
>
> But this posting is fitting Chaddy boy.
>
> Intellectual just right for someone working as a crashtest dummy (an
> occupation he has in common with Aaron, only Aaron works for GM)

No..that would be the MCSE's, moron.

> Peter
>
> --
> The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck is probably
> the day they start making vacuum cleaners" - Ernst Jan Plugge

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Roberto Alsina)
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,us.military.army,soc.singles
Date: 5 Apr 2001 13:50:34 GMT

On Wed, 04 Apr 2001 17:43:46 -0400, Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Roberto Alsina wrote:
>>
>> On 4 Apr 2001 20:20:51 GMT, Joseph T. Adams <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> >In comp.os.linux.advocacy Roberto Alsina <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> >: Roger Perkins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> >:>Roberto, all soldiers are willing to kill at their governments command.
>> >:>It's what we do - not aaron, of course, but real soldiers.  I realize you
>> >:>are jerking him around but thought I'd put this in.
>> >
>> >: And indeed I consider all soldiers fighting a war their country starts
>> >: to be assassins, in many ways.
>> >

>> >Perhaps, if it was their informed choice.
>>
>> Did they not know they are expected to kill people at war? ;-)
>
>What about conscripts (draftees).  Are they assassins, too?

If they are being forced they have an excuse. Having an excuse is
not the same as being innocent.

--
Roberto Alsina

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chad Everett)
Subject: Re: Why does Open Source exist, and what way is it developing?
Date: 5 Apr 2001 08:43:40 -0500

On Thu, 05 Apr 2001 07:55:51 -0400, mlw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> [-SNIP-]
>
>Evolution does not seek equilibrium. It seeks improvement. The feedback look to
>control improvement is food supply. If the hunter out hunts prey, then hunter
>needs to find additional prey, or die out. Often times both hunter and prey
>become extinct, Hunter out hunts prey. the last surviving members are both very
>good, until the end.
>
> [-SNIP-]

Evolution can't "seek" a darn thing because evolution doesn't have any
intelligence.   That's like saying a falling object "seeks" the ground
or a warm loaf of bread left out to cool "seeks" a lower temperature.
Seeking implies an active search or looking forward for some desired
result.  Evolution does none of that.  If it only had a brain.....

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Roberto Alsina)
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,us.military.army,soc.singles
Date: 5 Apr 2001 13:55:17 GMT

On Wed, 04 Apr 2001 17:45:42 -0400, Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Roberto Alsina wrote:
>>
>> On 4 Apr 2001 20:20:51 GMT, Joseph T. Adams <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> >In comp.os.linux.advocacy Roberto Alsina <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> >: Roger Perkins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> >:>Roberto, all soldiers are willing to kill at their governments command.
>> >:>It's what we do - not aaron, of course, but real soldiers.  I realize you
>> >:>are jerking him around but thought I'd put this in.
>> >
>> >: And indeed I consider all soldiers fighting a war their country starts
>> >: to be assassins, in many ways.
>> >

>> >Perhaps, if it was their informed choice.
>>
>> Did they not know they are expected to kill people at war? ;-)
>> But I'll go along. If they didn't know that, they are innocent
>> morons.

This habit of yours of replying twice is quite annoying. Have you never
heard of "supercede"?

>What about conscripts and draftees?
>
>Specifically, conscripts and draftees thrown into an infantry company,
>who find themselves in the middle of a firefight, and being shot at.

They could do the honourable thing and refuse to go to combat, then
go to jail. They could have tried to escape the country and be
deserters.

>Are they assassins?

They may have an excuse, but yes.

>Are they morons?

Some of them, some not.

>The truth of the matter is...soldiers on the battlefield fight
>for nothing other than getting each other out of the mess alive.

Oh, keep that crap to yourself. You are not a draftee. This doesn't
apply to you, or to anyone in the US army since 1973.

--
Roberto Alsina

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Roberto Alsina)
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,us.military.army,soc.singles
Date: 5 Apr 2001 13:57:16 GMT

Roger Perkins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Well then, it seems your opinion is more emotional and immature in regards
>to how the real world works than it is based in intelligent thought.  I
>applaud your morals, but I'll stick with my cynicism.  A quote:
>
>We sleep safe in our beds an night because rough me stand ready to visit
>violence on those who would do us harm.  Orwell.  And I am not sure if it's
>correct, but it is right.

That's a bully rationalizing his bulliness against his comrade other-bully.

There's a name for people that sell you "protection" from their peers:

mob.

--
Roberto Alsina

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Roberto Alsina)
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,us.military.army,soc.singles
Date: 5 Apr 2001 14:00:46 GMT

Roger Perkins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>(sigh)  I have to explain everything!
>
>Assassin - one who murders a politically important person either for hire or
>from fanatical motives

Every person is politically important. Soldiers are paid to kill.

And anyway:

Assassin: One who kills, or attempts to kill, by surprise or secret
   assault; one who treacherously murders any one unprepared for
   defense.

   A hired murdered.

>Murderer - one who commits the crime of unlawfully killing a person
>especially with malice aforethought
>
>A soldier kills legally the enemy of his country for the purpose of
>accomplishing political goals that, in the US, are designated by a civilian
>authority.

If a soldier is outside the US, killing a native, he can't be doing it
legally.

>Don't let you immature emotions get in the way of accuracy.  Soldiers are
>killers for a political purpose; not assassins or murderers.

If that makes you sleep well at night...

--
Roberto Alsina

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chad Everett)
Subject: Re: 696 Native MacOSX Apps So Far -
Date: 5 Apr 2001 08:53:22 -0500

On Thu, 05 Apr 2001 04:50:23 -0400, Donn Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Seems like OSX is really moving fast... 696 Apps have now been
> written... Here is an amazing link to get up to speed:
>
> It's what everyone wanted Linux to be!

It's what everyone wanted linux to be, six years ago.  It can't hold
a candle to modern day Linux because, for one thing, it's based
on an old OS.  Jobs is trying to repackage his NeXT and sell it as
something new in OSX.  You Mac folks are just craving something
new so badly that you'll fall for an old OS packaged in a nice
shiny new box:

http://www.upside.com/texis/mvm/story?id=3abbea871

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2001 10:02:50 -0400

Ayende Rahien wrote:

> "Chad Everett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >
> > Microsoft is doing the old shuffle and lie...but signs are they are
> > starting to sweat:
> >
> > http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1005-200-5508903.html?tag=mn_hd
> >

> You didn't have you qoute so much.
>
> Didn't I tell you so? And it took much less action than it took Yahoo! to
> change their TOS.

http://www.passport.com/Consumer/TermsOfUse.asp?PPlcid=1033

MODIFICATION OF THESE TERMS OF USE

Microsoft reserves the right to change the terms, conditions, and notices
under which the Passport Web Site and Passport Services are offered. You
are responsible for regularly reviewing these terms and conditions.
Continued use of the Passport eb Site or Passport Services after any
such changes shall constitute your consent to such changes.

Translation:  Mafia$oft can revert to the previous terms of service
at any time, without taking any explicit action to notify users.

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chad Everett)
Date: 5 Apr 2001 08:56:28 -0500

Donn Miller wrote:

> Speaking of Java:  Java is great for internet apps and applets that run
> inside your browser, but what else is it good for?  It's supposed to be
> great for embedded programming, but C, C++ and assembly are already good
> at this, and they can run in a tighter space than Java.

At my place of work we write lots of full blown, stand along, Java
apps for viewing huge scientific data sets and files.  The apps
run unmodified on Solaris, Linux, SGI, WinNT/2K without the need
for recompilation.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2001 10:04:14 -0400

Matthew Gardiner wrote:

> So since it becomes the property of Microsoft, they are then entitled to
> open it, hence, your ideas could be stolen.

Precisely.

>  Well, atleast I always have PGP to fall back on.
>
> Matthew Gardiner
>
> "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Matthew Gardiner wrote:
> > >
> > > So, say if I was a programmer, and I was working from home.  I was just
> > > cruising through the source code of piece of software and I saw a MAJOR
> > > error, so I think, well, I better email work to notify them of the
> problem.
> > > So, I open up me hotmail inbox and email them a patch to correct the
> error.
> > > Does that mean that the patch I just sent is the property of Microsoft?
> > > that sound pretty strange.  Its a bit like posting a letter, and getting
> > > told that the Post Office owns it once you have posted it, regardless of
> who
> > > it is intended for.
> > >

> > That's it, precisely.
> >
> > You know...since Microsoft say that ANY data submitted into the Hailstorm
> > system is their theirs to do with as they wish...that means that they
> > are even the right to *NOT* deliver it to the intended recipients.
> >

> > I think Bill should prove to use that he *never* intended for such a
> > fucked up up agreement by FIRING all of the lawyers who are both
> > Microsoft employees and worked on this user agreeement.
> >

> > > Matthew Gardiner
> > >
> > > "JS PL" <jspl@jsplom> wrote in message
> > > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> proprietary
> under
> Microsoft's
> > > use

> since

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.