From: Peter =?ISO-8859-1?Q?K=F6hlmann?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.security.ssh
Subject: Re: SSH vulnerabilities - still waiting [ was Interesting article ]
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 01:55:17 +0100

Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

> Chad Myers wrote:
> >
> > Why do the powers that be idly sit by and let it happen? That
> > greatly concerns me. Whats more, some of the people involved in the
> > making of the product don't seem to want to address these concerns
> > and seem content to merely insult the people who bring them forward.
> > Extremely immature. I don't want immature people developing my
> > security software. I want people developing my security software
> > taking allegations of insecurity seriously and doing all the can
> > to squash those feelings. It seems the SSH community is doing nothing.
>
> This troll needs to simply do "man ssh".

His problem is: he can`t. He does not have a linux / unix machine,
when he enters "help ssh" on this wintendo high-performance-eater
he gets nothing because MS has not gotten further now than telnet in
learning. So he has to contend himself in spreading FUD, because
otherwise he had to admit that even his beloved W2K is just equipped
with a (very broken to boot) telnet.

--
The sticker on the side of the box said "Supported Platforms: Win 95,
Win NT 4.0 or better", so clearly Linux was a supported platform.

comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.next.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Information wants to be free, Revisited
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Gerry)
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 18:13:35 -0600

Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > Again, you totally missed the point.
>
> I understand it entirely.
>
> You're complaining about wasting bandwidth, while doing so yourself.
>
> Go and sin no more, hypocrite.

I never complained of wasted bandwidth, and I don't consider this
discussion wasted if you were to realize the waste you are causing.
What I complained about was cluttered newsgroup postings.
I did mention bandwidth, but it's not what I'm complaining about.

Besides... This "discussion" is an effort to eliminate your wasted
bandwidth. So in the end, the bandwidth of this thread would be very
minor to the amount saved if you were to eliminate your signature.

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]           http://homepage.mac.com/gbeggs/
[EMAIL PROTECTED]       http://www.GerryICQ.com/

comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.next.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Gerry)
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 18:13:35 -0600

Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Nope.  Then after every scirrilous attack, I'll have to write a
> follow-up
> instructing people to actually look at the web page.
>
> I have NO interest in WASTING MY TIME in such an endeavour.

Or you can simply say it once, and end it there.
There's no need for every single message you write to contain your
opinions on something completely unrelated to the message you are
writing.

You seem to have an interest in wasting our time by including your sig
in every message. Why's that?

--

------------------------------

From: "Sam Morris" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.next.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 00:17:02 -0000

> How about a compromise.
> Put the contents of your signature on a web page, and put the
URL to it
> in your signature. Then you can make it as long as you want
(even going
> through the whole alphabet if you like!)
>
> Then anyone who cares can go read it.
> The rest of us are left without you cluttering up our newgroup
messages.

> You can also keep track of the number of hits to your page.
> I predict the number will be near zero.

Nah, that will never do. It will force Aaron to realise that
people aren't actually interested in what he says. His .sig
reminds me of the little boy who has to have attention, jumping
up and down screaming "Look at me, look at me!".

Like Asuka in Evangelion, in fact. Perhaps even with the same
mental problems...

From: "Sam Morris" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.next.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 00:18:05 -0000

> > > The .sig does *NOT* antagonize them into flaming me.  Quite
the
> > > opposite...by documenting their behavior, it takes all the
fun
> > > away from them.
> >
> > All it does is cancel out the effect of the remaining 12
people
> > who sill only post links to newsgroups rather than attaching
> > binaries.
> >

> non-sequitor.

These people save bandwidth. You waste it. Meanwhile, you still
haven't justified the petty attacks.

--
Cheers,
Sam

"All your base are belong to us" - Cats

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.next.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 00:12:25 -0000

On 21 Feb 2001 09:30:54 GMT, Nick Condon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Aaron Kulkis) wrote in <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>
>>Tim Streater wrote:
>>> Where we live, perhaps. In the UK about 50 people are murdered with
>>> handguns each year (this includes Northern Ireland, by the way). This
>>> compares with 300 or so killed by people drinking (out of about 3000
>>> road deaths annually). In the US, 10,000 are murdered annually with
>>
>>If you remove "criminals killing other criminals", the number
>>is substantially lower.
>
>Since killing people is a crime in most circumstances, this is something of
>a circular argument.

        No, it addresses the root cause of the situation rather than
        being a weak excuse for feel-good bandaid measures that only
        treat the symptoms of the underlying problem.

        You are just attempting to use poor rhetoric to avoid a less
        superficial exploration of the situation.

--

        Common Standards, Common Ownership.

        The alternative only leads to destructive anti-capitalist
        and anti-democratic monopolies.
                                                               / | \

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: Re: Microsoft says Linux threatens innovation
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 00:17:30 -0000

On Wed, 21 Feb 2001 03:37:07 -0600, Erik Funkenbusch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>"Ed Allen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>never
>those
>not
>> >
>> >This statement doesn't parse.  It seems like you might be trying to say
>that
>> >MS prevents people from using technology.  That is simply false, or else
>> >Linux would not exist at all, nor would OS's like BeOS or MacOS X.
>> >
>>     It does parse for people who are not in denial about the desktop
>>     monopoly and M$ abuse of it.
>>
>>     By strangling startup technologies Microsoft making us all pay more
>>     than the newer offering would have cost.  They recoup the cost of
>>     their FUD and buying technologies so the project can be canceled by
>>     charging higher prices for all their software.
>
>This ignores the fact that MS's software has gone down in price when you
>factor in inflation, and the amount of software you get per dollar.
>Further, you negelected to mention why OS's like BeOS and MacOS X exist if
>this were the case.

        Microsoft is a part owner of MacOS and MacOS X is mostly
        recycled technology from before Microsoft had such a grip
        on the market.

        As far as Be goes, it is subject to the same stranglehold that
        stiffles Linux adoption. This includes decoding proprietary
        Microsoft document formats, decoding proprietary microsoft media
        formats, decoding non-microsoft proprietary media formats and
        getting support from 3rd party hardware vendors.

        Furthermore, if BeOS is such a great counterexample (or even
        MacOS) then where are the MacOS and BeOS departments in
        common software retail establishments.

>>     New technologies can do things that the older technologies could not
>>     or they would not be new.  So by denying all of us the chance to see
>>     if those new technologies are useful for each of us Microsoft is
>>     denying us that value.  A cost may come from denial of convenience
>>     or efficiency instead of your wallet.
>
>Tell me, if you're running a business.  Say you're selling lemonade.  And
>someone comes along and tells the world they have a new kind of lemonade
>that is specifically designed to put you out of business.  Would you not
>take that as an act of war?

        This is commerce, not war.

[deletia]

        In a civilized society, Microsoft does not have free reign
        to do anything it damn well pleases. No one is supposed to
        have that capacity.

--

        Also while the herd mentality is certainly there, I think the
        nature of software interfaces and how they tend to interfere

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donald R. McGregor)
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.next.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 00:18:41 -0000

Note followups.

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Peter Ammon  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> Every state where the restrictions on carrying concealed weapons
>> have been lowered, the crime rate has gone down.
>
>What you fail to mention is that it went down faster in the states that
>did not lower the restrictions.
>
>http://216.6.14.135/research/studies/conctruth.asp

You can see Lott's response at

http://www.best.com/~ddfr/Lott_v_Teret/Lott_v_HCI.htm

>"Between 1992 through 1998 (the last six years for which data exists),
>the violent crime rate in the strict and no-issue states fell 30% while
>the violent crime rate for states that liberalized carry laws prior to
>1992 dropped half as much -- by 15%."

"My response -- Handgun Control's (the parent organization of the
Center to Prevent Handgun Violence) "press release" took the change
in violent crime rates between two years, 1992 and 1997, but then
classified states on the basis of what their laws were in 1997. Some
states did not even enact their right-to-carry laws until late 1996,
and a third were adopted in late 1995 on. It doesn't make much sense
to me to attribute the increase in crime for the five years before
the law goes into effect to the law. Ideally what one would want to
do is look at the relative rates of change before and after the laws
were adopted in different states. This is what I do in my research"

--
Don McGregor    | "The cemetery is filled with indispensable men."
[EMAIL PROTECTED]|     --DeGaulle

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: MS to Enforce Registration - or Else
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 00:19:00 -0000

On 21 Feb 2001 07:00:58 GMT, Donovan Rebbechi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>On Tue, 20 Feb 2001 23:58:52 -0500, Aaron Kulkis wrote:
>
>>Wrong...Because the Demoncrook party has ALWAYS been in the business of
>>protecting the financial interests of the socio-economic elite in this
>>country.
>
>That's why Bush's plan primarily benefits the richest 1%, right ? And it's
>also why the democrats are opposing it -- because giving huge tax breaks

        ...because the republicans are advocating it.

        No other motivation is required really.

>to all the millionaires is not in the interests of the socio-economic
>elite ?

        The Democrats have enough millionaires of their own actually.

[deletia]

                                                               / | \

------------------------------

From: James Knott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.sys.be.advocacy
Subject: Re: Strange @home problem....or proof MSFT is trying to take over the
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 00:21:27 GMT

John Navas wrote:

> [POSTED TO comp.dcom.modems.cable; PLEASE REPLY THERE]
>
> In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, James Knott
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >Paul Newhouse wrote:
>
> >> NetBSD, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, BSDI, SCO, Be, Plan9, ... all better choices
> >> me thinks! ;)
> >
> >It's hard to find something worse than Windows.  ;-)
>
> IMHO it's more accurate to say it's hard to find something that works as
> well as Windows for its intended purpose.  ;-)

That purpose being the transfer of cash from our pockets, to
Bill Gates'.  ;-)

--
Replies sent via e-mail to this address will be promptly
ignored.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.next.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 00:21:33 -0000

On Tue, 20 Feb 2001 22:45:49 -0600, Gerry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> Who gives a fuck about sport.  The primary purpose of a gun is to protect
>> yourself and your loved ones from any person or persons who mean do you harm.
>
>The primary purpose of a gun is to kill.
>And more often than not, it isn't against someone who means to do you
>harm.

        Please provide meaningful support for that assertion.

[deletia]

--

        The term "popular" is MEANINGLESS in consumer computing. DOS3
          was more "popular" than contemporary Macintoshes despite the

          Network effects are everything in computing.
                                                               / | \

------------------------------

From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: The Windows guy.
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 18:30:17 -0600

"Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:971jdq$2nf$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In article <u4Vk6.421$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Erik Funkenbusch"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:970tqj$i83$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> >> Yes. Without multitasking, it can't do that properly.
> >
> > Perhaps you can point out a single credible definition of "pipe" that
> > defines it with multitasking?
>
> i don't need to cite anyone since I can prove my case:

In other words, you're making up your own definition.

> program_that_never_stops[*] | head -10

Try this under Unix (or any other multitasking OS) using the same program.

program_that_never_stops | tail -n 10

tail needs an end of file before it can know where to start.  So likewise,
it doesn't work.

> Since I have just proven that piping does not always work  under single
> tasking, I have proven that it needs to have multitasking to work
> properly. I do not need to cite someone elses definition because I have
> proven that it needs multitasking.

Piping doesn't always work under multitasking either.  Your arguments is
moot and inaccurate.

------------------------------

From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 18:31:02 -0600

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On Wed, 21 Feb 2001 14:05:54 -0600, Erik Funkenbusch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> >"Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >news:970tqj$i83$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> >> Yes. Without multitasking, it can't do that properly.
> >
> >Perhaps you can point out a single credible definition of "pipe" that
> >defines it with multitasking?
> >
> >By credible, I mean a university, book, or other experts definition.
>
> Actually, any academic text on operating systems will
> extol the value of exploiting parallelism. This is what
> a "real pipe" can do that mere copies don't. They (and
> multitasking in general) allow for tasks to proceed as
> a collection of smaller tasks that may exercise different
> parts of the system simultaneously.

Then it should be quite simple for you to provide a credible reference.
Right?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Incredible developments in Italy regarding business software
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 00:24:39 +0000

The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Adam Warner
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>  wrote
> on Wed, 21 Feb 2001 01:42:22 +1300
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> >From the truth is stranger than fiction file:
> >
> >http://lwn.net/2001/features/siae.php3
> >
> >Any Italian wanting to distribute software for profit requires an
> >authorising stamp or they could face a huge fine or imprisonment:
> >
> >"Whoever intends to make a profit ...for commercial or business purposes,
> >from the use of ...computer programs contained on a medium not bearing the
> >SIAE stamp, is subject to a penalty of imprisonment from six months up to
> >three years and to a fine from 2500 to 15000 Euros."
> >
> >Since an SIAE stamp is required for the name of the author, publisher,
> >producer or copyright holder a single Linux CD could conceivably require
> >hundreds of stamps.
> >
> >Adam
>
> Who the hell dreamt up *this* scheme?!  (And who paid them to do it?)
>
> If this is accurate (I can't say), Italy's free/GPL source advocates
> are going to have a rough road ahead.
>
> I'm also curious if "medium" includes Internet transmission methods
> such as FTP, HTTP, and SCP (= RCP+SSL, roughly; it's for secure
> copying).  In other words, if I were in Italy, would I be required
> to obtain an SIAE stamp from the publisher (or someone else?) of said
> software as part of the download?  Prior to the download?

Frankly, I think Italy's legislature need to catch up.  But I'm sure
they'll have an election soon, they seem to have an election monthly.

We need not worry too much.  Italy is so unstable (in a way) that
*nothing* will get passed!

--
http://www.guild.bham.ac.uk/chess-club

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.next.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 19:26:41 -0500

Gerry wrote:

> Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > > How about, instead of participating in a "flame war", be a bit more
> > > civil have a rational debate.
> > >

> > With those who are interested in RATIONAL debate....I am.
> >
> > With those who insist upon posting blatant lies (Chad, Erik, Pete
> > Goodwin),
> > I dump an appropriately-sized pile of shit on them for having the
> > nerve to spout what they KNOW to be lies.
>
> Why?
> Are you not "man enough" to take it?

Oh, oh, the "A real man tolerates personal abuse" ploy

FUCK YOU, Gerry.

I'm a man, not an effette coward like you.

> I can't stand people who always insist on having the last word, or
> insist on having revenge upon someone.

You write like a paranoid delusional.
Why is that?

> Get over it.
>
> Next week, no one will even remember who you are.

Especially you.

> > > No one will flame you if you disagree with them, but are very civil
> > > about it.
> >
> > Care to discuss the quantum-dynamic behavior of charge carriers
> > in semi-conductor materials?
>
> Why are you going off on such a tangent?
> I know it's hard to stay focused, but please stay on subject.
>
> > > It's quite obvious from the length of your signature that you aren't
> > > trying to be civil.
> >
> > Only when the situation calls for being civil.
> >
> > Much of USENET is not civil, and never will be.  I take a 2x4 to
> > the face of those who are the most egregious offenders.
>
> Perhaps that has been your experience because of the way you deal with
> things. I, personally, have NEVER been attacked on usenet. The vast
> majority of people I deal with are quite polite, in fact.
>
> > > Here's step #1 to becoming a better person:
> > >
> > > Remove your signature.
> >
> > Make me.
>
> VERY mature!

If you're going to go around orders, then you had better have some
working plan for enforcing them.

It appears that you have none.

> --
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]           http://homepage.mac.com/gbeggs/
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]       http://www.GerryICQ.com/

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.next.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 19:26:54 -0500

Gerry wrote:

> Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > > Again, you totally missed the point.
> >
> > I understand it entirely.
> >
> > You're complaining about wasting bandwidth, while doing so yourself.
> >
> > Go and sin no more, hypocrite.
>
> I never complained of wasted bandwidth, and I don't consider this

Liar.

> discussion wasted if you were to realize the waste you are causing.
> What I complained about was cluttered newsgroup postings.
> I did mention bandwidth, but it's not what I'm complaining about.
>
> Besides... This "discussion" is an effort to eliminate your wasted
> bandwidth. So in the end, the bandwidth of this thread would be very
> minor to the amount saved if you were to eliminate your signature.
>
> --
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]           http://homepage.mac.com/gbeggs/
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]       http://www.GerryICQ.com/

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.