  Re: linux does NOT suck (oh yes it does) ("Kyle Jacobs")

From: J Sloan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Why can't Microsoft keep their web servers up?
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 20:57:15 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> On Wed, 24 Jan 2001 13:42:48 -0600, "Erik Funkenbusch"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >Too bad CNET doesn't understand the difference between a DNS failure and a
> >server being down.
>
> It wouldn't matter to the Penguinista's anyhow.
>
> Have you ever tried looking at the CNET web site using Netscape under
> Linsux?

Sure, looks great - what's the question?

> The text is either way too small or way too large depending on how you
> set the fonts in NutScrape.

hmm, no, the fonts appear perfectly normal.

> Maybe that's why they have all those editors for Linsux, so they can
> copy the text into their editor, massage it a little so they can read
> it?

Oh dear - whatever is he going on about here?

jjs

------------------------------

From: J Sloan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 20:58:08 GMT

Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

> Too bad CNET doesn't understand the difference between a DNS failure and a
> server being down.

To joe 6-pak, there's no difference where the failure
technically occurs, he can't see the website anymore.

jjs

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: linux does NOT suck (oh yes it does)
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 15:56:47 -0500

MH wrote:

> > > Editing that "line of text" is, like every administrative action, not as
> > > simple as it sounds.
>
> > For people dumb enough to rely on GUIs.
>
> Ah, yes. The old "90% of the computer using population are complete morons"
> logic. The sort of reasoning mostly espoused by cola-ites. --our way, or no
> way.
>
> There is intelligent life out there, the challenges seems to be in finding
> it.

And the chances of finding it sitting in front of a LoseDOS box are nil.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Salvador Peralta <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.nt.advocacy
Subject: Re: M$ websites down again
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 13:01:26 -0800

"." wrote:

> Tell me, claire, why is it a bad idea to put all your domain name servers
> on one segment?

lol...

--
Salvador Peralta
http://salvador.venice.ca.us

------------------------------

From: J Sloan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: So much for Linux being more Difficult than Windows
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 20:58:58 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> On Wed, 24 Jan 2001 03:21:44 -0000, [EMAIL PROTECTED] () wrote:
>

> >       ...wait for Win2K to dial the phone and waste quite a bit
> >       of time fetching the local "approved" ISP list for your
> >       area.
> >
> >       Then go to step D.
>
> Huhh?
>  What are you talking about?
> Do you make this stuff up as you go along?

It appears as though he's experienced it firsthand...

jjs

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 15:58:19 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> >> For people dumb enough to rely on GUIs.
> >
> >Ah, yes. The old "90% of the computer using population are complete morons"
> >logic. The sort of reasoning mostly espoused by cola-ites. --our way, or no
> >way.
>
>         No, it merely reflects an aspects of common post high
>         school academic proficiency exams. Dealing with most
>         Unix config files is at worst a simple pattern matching
>         exercise.
>

> >There is intelligent life out there, the challenges seems to be in finding
> >it.
> >

>         OTOH, the rcfiles for quite a few Unix applications
>         are documented to the point where you basically have
>         to be either really lazy or a moron not to understand
>         what's going on.

Which is PRECISELY why LoseDOS advocates fear Unix.

> --
>
>   >> Yes.  And the mailer should never hand off directly to a program
>   >> that allows the content to take control.
>   >
>   >Well most mailers can, so I guess they all suck too.
>
>         Yup.
>
>         Candy from strangers should be treated as such.
>                                                                / | \

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: J Sloan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: A salutary lesson about open source
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 21:01:46 GMT

Chad Myers wrote:

> People on your side have been claiming that Linux is taking over
> the Desktop market

I haven't seen any such statement, except in a mocking
sense coming from wintrolls.

> and that MS should be scared, which, as you know,
> is a big pile of BS.

Actually, ms said that Linux is their biggest threat.

If you can't see the writing on the wall, it could
be that you simply don't want to.

jjs

------------------------------

From: "ono" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Subject: Re: New Microsoft Ad :-)
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 21:57:04 +0100

> Perhaps you've a better graphics card than my last two (the current ones
> a laptop).
There you have it! Your graphics card vendor doesn't know shit about writing
drivers.

> it isn't there.  I've never seen a Windows box that doesn't stutter when
> its doing any I/O.  Ever.
Obviouly you've never seen mine :-).

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Subject: Re: Poor Linux
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 16:05:49 -0500

Martin Eden wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > > We're on alt.linux.sux.
> >
> > And your point is?
>
> Lost on you, my faux "Unix Systems Engineer" friend.

Must be why I clear over $100,000/year as a Unix Systems Engineer.

> > > So by definition, you are trolling our group.
> >
> > Wrong.
> >
> > By definition, you're a fucking idiot.
>
> I have a little parable for you.
>
> The sadist and the masochist meet together in some obscure public place. The
> masochist immediately begins begging:
>
> "O Please!" he cries, "Beat me! Hurt me! Spank me! Punish me! Make me
> SUFFER!"
>
> The evil sadist's eyes brighten, ever so slightly, as he utters the word:
> "no".

Trotting out that story never works.

> HTH,
>
> Martin Eden.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Mig <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.nt.advocacy
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 22:03:27 +0100

. wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > On Wed, 24 Jan 2001 13:45:49 -0600, "Erik Funkenbusch"
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >>Did you read the article?  It clearly states that the web servers are
> >>not down, and gives you a link to them in IP format.
>
> > Probably not.
> > See my previous post :)
>
> Oh, the one where you yet again displayed your proficiency in not knowing
> what the hell youre talking about?
>
> Tell me, claire, why is it a bad idea to put all your domain name servers
> on one segment?

Dont you think you have to explain a bit about segmentation and netmasks
first?

--
Cheers

------------------------------

From: "ono" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 21:58:50 +0100

> Still, borrow C++ Builder and try my simple scenario, Doctor Octopus.
You should probably gett a better dev. environment. (like Visual Studio)

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 3100 W2K Adv Servers deployed accross Europe
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 16:09:23 -0500

Craig Kelley wrote:

> "Ayende Rahien" <Please@don't.spam> writes:
>
> > "nuxx" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:i_rb6.10$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > believe

> > > I haven't tried it but read they were working on it somewhere.  Can't back
> > > it up so it remains a rumor.  As far as the overhead - very little RAM and
> > > virtually no CPU so it's almost a moot point anyway.  My main point was
> > that
> > > I hope they are improving the CLI to Unix levels.
> >
> > Then there would need to be something like clregedt.exe
> > Command Line Registry Editor (which should take a compotent coder about an
> > hour to write, I did, it looks a bit like DOS).
> >
> > All in all, I agree that it's a Good Thing(tm).
>
> So let me get this straight:  You want a command-line tool that
> manipulates data stored in a heirchical format, with different mount
> points for different items?
>
> Sounds like a filesystem to me....
>
> (I *knew* the day would come when Microsoft advocates would finally
> demand a filesystem for NT's configuration data)

Microsoft....bringing us 1960's technology....half-completed....NEXT version...

> --
> The wheel is turning but the hamster is dead.
> Craig Kelley  -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> http://www.isu.edu/~kellcrai finger [EMAIL PROTECTED] for PGP block

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Peter =?ISO-8859-1?Q?K=F6hlmann?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 22:06:34 +0100

Chad Myers wrote:

> Do you know of a better way, given Europe's wiring situation?

As usual, Chad doesn't know what he's talking about.
The "wiring situation" as Chad put's it so masterly after bringing it up
as a guess before (had to unkillfile this jerk to do that) is, to put it
mildly, slightly better than in the states (except perhaps some very high
speed interconnects). Germany for example is COMPLETELY on
digital phone lines (even those who do not have ISDN at home are
digitized shortly afterwards). DSL is very big already, I have my DSL
connection nearly a year already after 5 years of ISDN. Same is true for
several other countries in europe. Chad should at least TRY to get his
facts straight before making such sweeping statements. His 3100
Wintendo2000 servers are at best stationed at 200 - 300 sites,
probably less, if the remote capabilities of Wintendo(tm) are taken into
account. No one in his right mind would station such servers more than
20 meters away from a squadron of MCSE's to keep them running.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: The Server Saga
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 16:10:48 -0500

Ketil Z Malde wrote:

> Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> >> <rant>
> >> I don't really care whether Linux is popular among the computer
> >> illiterate, [...]
> >> </rant>
>
> > So screw Joe Public, huh?
>
> Yes, basically.
>
> > Don't they deserve better?
>
> No.
>
> I don't see why I should feel any obligation to spend my time helping
> out brats who are too lazy to bother to learn, and too cheap to pay
> for support.
>
> Open Source means that if anybody wants an author's work, they may
> have it.  It does not mean that the author is responsible for
> supporting tedious and bothersome individuals who somehow think having
> a piece of code gives them a right to whine about it.  You are already
> given the means to fix anything you dislike.  You may choose to ignore
> those means, but I find whining about it rather pathetic.
>
> And if I wanted to do good, I'd donate my time or money to the Red
> Cross or some similar organisation.

Damn straight.

> -kzm
> --
> If I haven't seen further, it is by standing in the footprints of giants

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux 2.4 Major Advance
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 16:12:23 -0500

Adam Warner wrote:

> Hi Conrad,
>
> > And you didn't match his claim - can you actually find a negative review
> of
> > Office 2000? I bet you can't. I can find 100s for star office
>
> The most important feature about MS Office 2000 is: it is 100% MS Office
> 2000 compatible.
>
> The worst feature of any other office suite: The authors did not manage to
> achieve 100% MS Office 2000 compatibility.
>
> MS Office 2000 is a de facto standard. Every office suite that tries to
> achieve MS Office 2000 file compatibility will always be found deficient
> compared to Microsoft Office 2000.

Translation:

Nobody else can breed retards as stupid as Microsoft's various progeny.

> Regards,
> Adam

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: J Sloan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 21:14:29 GMT

Chad Myers wrote:

> If you really would've looked, which I know is a stretch for you,
> you would've seen that that site keeps statistics for several hundred
> other sites. I realize that this may not be a scientific sample, but
> it's at least in the ball park +/- 5% I would say. So, giving Linux
> the benefit of the doubt, Linux is still 5%, so what?

So 5% is infinitely more thanit was a few years ago.

> It's also interesting you point out that Linux only accounts for
> 56% of the browser share on their site. Rather amusing, isn't it?

Not sure what you mean, but there are all sorts of people
connecting to linux.com, including curious windows users
tired of blue screens, mac using sys admins, or people
browsing from an institution which offers only windows.

> Until you provide a URL, your figures are fantasy.

Oh come now,  don't be lazy, it's common knowledge.

type in something like "linux server market share"
on google and follow the links.

> Uh huh. IBM is known for taking over the OS market... ROFL.

Laugh as you like, but IBM dwarfs microsoft, and a billion
dollars is no chump change.

jjs

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 16:13:56 -0500

Salvador Peralta wrote:

> Chad Myers wrote:
>
> > If you really would've looked, which I know is a stretch for you,
> > you would've seen that that site keeps statistics for several hundred
> > other sites. I realize that this may not be a scientific sample, but
> > it's at least in the ball park +/- 5% I would say. So, giving Linux
> > the benefit of the doubt, Linux is still 5%, so what?
>
> Exactly.  So what?  Windows has been shipping installed on pc's in
> stores for as long as it has been available as a product, and we already
> know that Linux is ususally bought and installed as a server OS.
>
> I've been using linux in a server capacity since 1995.  Mandrake 7.2 is
> the first time that I have finally permanently replaced windows with it
> for my personal desktop ( though I have been using it as a laptop
> solution for a year and a half ), and the first time that I have felt
> comfortable replacing windows with it on my corporate desktop.
>
> The speed with which linux, thanks in very large part to a heretofore
> much-maligned troll-tech, has gained on windows as a desktop OS is
> remarkable.  In doing so, at least with the mandrake release, they have
> made all the usual FUD ( tough to install, people don't want to edit
> config files, ugly gui, no dnd, etc ) that we hear from people like
> yourself, the other chad, and claire, very badly out of date.
>
> Besides the obvious success that the OS has at evangalism among
> developers, technically literate students, and end users, it's
> stability, etc. what you should really be worried about as a winShill is
> that it is easier than ever before to obtain and install development
> libraries than ever, and that all of these libraries can be had at no
> cost which means that the developer base is simply going to continue
> growing at a faster rate than the windows developer base.
>
> I liken this to the state of the US and Japanese Navies just after pearl
> harbor.  Microsoft has already missed its opportunity to bury linux, and
> the productive forces of the free software and open source communities
> attached to linux is simply too large for MS to compete over the long
> haul ( the price it pays for keeping its users, administrators, and a
> large chunk of it's developers technically illiterate ).

As Yamamoto said, "We have awakened a sleeping giant."

> --
> Salvador Peralta
> http://salvador.venice.ca.us

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Kyle Jacobs" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 21:14:04 GMT

Oh yes, replacing /etc with a virtually linked, remote file source.  This is
a terrible idea unless every workstation is running the EXACT same version
of the EXACT same Linux on the EXACT same hardware with the EXACT same
revisions of every component in perpetuity.

That's uniformity to the extreme.

With policy, restrictions can be set independent of what hardware, version
of components, OR revision of Windows is being used.  Policy is still
policy, unrecognized policy is ignored.

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...