From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.nt.advocacy
Subject: Re: M$ websites down again
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 00:25:32 -0500

"." wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > On 24 Jan 2001 20:54:39 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (.) wrote:
>
> >>Tell me, claire, why is it a bad idea to put all your domain name servers
> >>on one segment?
>
> > I dunno?
>
> There are tons and tons of reasons, but one of the basic ones is that you
> if that segment barfs (as they naturally do), you have no redundancy; youve
> lost your entire DN service.
>
> This is what happened to microsoft, because theyre idiots.

This catastrophic failure brought to you by the letters MCSE.

> -----.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Subject: Re: Poor Linux
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 00:28:23 -0500

The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Steve Mading
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>  wrote
> on 24 Jan 2001 23:07:17 GMT
> <94nn75$8o8$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> >Kyle Jacobs <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> >: Linux does not have the ability to auto-reneice applications based upon
> >: activity.
> >
> >Yes it does, but it doesn't because it's a really bad idea.
>
> Actually, don't some operating system(s) increase dynamic priority
> to a point when a process is swapped out or waiting, in an
> attempt to improve responsiveness?
>
> (Note: I did not say based on "foreground/background" window
> paradigm, which I agree is silly.  And I think this is different
> from the "nice" assignment value, which, if I'm not mistaken,
> is merely a hint to the scheduler; the actual priority may
> be something different based on a number of factors.)
>
> >The window
> >managers *could* be written to do that very easily.  But just because
> >something interactive is going on does not imply that it is the highest
> >priority.  You could be doing a computationally intensive process
> >in the background that you consider MORE IMPORTANT than the web browsing
> >you are doing while you pass the idle time - for example.  The UNIX
> >scheduling technique simply gives more time to the programs that
> >are actually using the CPU more, and less time to the ones that are
> >just sitting around waiting for a user input interrupt.  Xterm, for
> >example, doesn't need much CPU time to keep up with my typing, so I
> >would not want it to be automatically reniced to suck CPU time away
> >from other programs.
>
> It probably wouldn't anyway; an I/O-intensive process is probably
> going to do a blurb of processing then go back to sleep, :-)
> releasing the CPU.
>
> Now you've got me curious. :-)  Ah, open source!

Read Bach's book "The Design of the Unix Operating System"

There's a section on the Unix processes scheduler.

The algorithm is both insanely simple AND wickedly efficient.

I believe the word is "elegance"

> [rest snipped]
>
> --
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] -- insert random misquote here
> EAC code #191       1d:22h:23m actually running Linux.
>                     Hi.  I'm a signature virus.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 00:31:15 -0500

The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Craig Kelley
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>  wrote
> on 24 Jan 2001 16:52:55 -0700
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> >"Kyle Jacobs" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> >
> >> I don't think you have a clue how Windows 2000 deals with virtual memory.
> >> Windows 2000 Professional doesn't use "sleep" (to put it into UNIX
> >> terminology) definitions to transfer programs, it uses the UI focus to
> >> denote priority, or when changed to "background process" priority mode, uses
> >> the old style of "load first" to load applications into memory, in priority
> >> going to real, and then virtual.
> >>
> >> Pity Win2k doesn't have a "sleep timer".
> >
> >  [snip]
> >
> >> Linux does not have the ability to auto-reneice applications based upon
> >> activity.  My GIMP process tree doesn't get priority level neicing when
> >> doing a complicated math operation while the rest of XFree86 sits idle.  It
> >> gets what it was started at (0) and shares resources with all my other
> >> programs running at the time.
> >
> >The linux scheduler gives CPU time to the processes that need it.
> >Look at the source in kernel/sched.c if you're curious (where's the
> >source for W2k's scheduler?).
>
> Probably somewhere in Russia...or was it China?  :-)

Reminds me...I should start making plans for my next trip to St. Petersburg.

Considering that in Russia, there are no copyright laws, you can actually
get Microsoft products for about $5 or less (which is, ironically, exactly
what they are worth).....Wouldn't THAT be an interesting purchase :-)

(

> [rest snipped]
>
> --
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] -- insert random misquote here
> EAC code #191       1d:22h:29m actually running Linux.
>                     Darn.  Just when this message was getting good, too.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Ayende Rahien" <Please@don't.spam>
Subject: Re: So much for Linux being more Difficult than Windows
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 07:20:54 +0200

"Russ Lyttle" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Ayende Rahien wrote:
> >
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > > [deletia]

> > CD.
> > >
> > > Then please outline the procedure for initiating an
> > > upload with IE5...
> >
> > Sure, open one window of explorer and navigate to the files that you
want to
> > copy, choose then and press CTRL+C
> > Then either type F6 & the ftp adress or open a new windows and enter the
ftp
> > adress in it.
> > Wait for it to login, press CTRL+V
>
> Linux :
> ftp [site name]
> [login as prompted]
> cd [destination directory]
> put [filename]
> bye

Windows:
ftp [site name]
[login as prompted]
cd [destination directory]
send [filename]
bye

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 00:32:36 -0500

Kyle Jacobs wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>
> > > Lost on you, my faux "Unix Systems Engineer" friend.
> > >

> > Must be why I clear over $100,000/year as a Unix Systems Engineer.
>
> So, a person with a gross annual income such as yourself MUST surely have
> something else to do then doling out balloon juice on USENET in his spare
> time.

Quite true.

I'm a commo chief in an infantry company, because it's fun, I study
Russian, and I usually take several overseas trips every year.

> > > I have a little parable for you.
> > >
> > > The sadist and the masochist meet together in some obscure public place.
> The
> > > masochist immediately begins begging:
> > >
> > > "O Please!" he cries, "Beat me! Hurt me! Spank me! Punish me! Make me
> > > SUFFER!"
> > >
> > > The evil sadist's eyes brighten, ever so slightly, as he utters the
> word:
> > > "no".
> >
> > Trotting out that story never works.
>
> Made someone laugh, problem solved.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Does Code Decay
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 00:34:00 -0500

Peter Köhlmann wrote:

> Bennetts family wrote:
> > Unix could stay pretty stagnant for a very long time, with only bugfixes
> > and driver updates/additions) and kick the crap out of Windows for a very
> > long time. Windows is a lousy design, that needs to keep in touch with 20
> > year old bodge fixes (FAT, etc). Unix did things a much better way right
> > from the start. I predict that in 20 years time, Windows will still be on
> > a FAT derived FS, and suffering miserably from it.
> >
> I think in 20 years Wintendo(tm) will be recognized as the single one
> biggest errors in computing history.

Kind of like the nuclear-fission handgrenade, but without the benefits.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,alt.linux.sux
Subject: Re: The *BEST* advertising!
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 00:35:49 -0500

Steve Mading wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy ono <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> :> It's pretty clear that flatfish is beside himself because Linux
> :> is threatening windows - why this should bother anyboy is not clear,
> :> unless they own ms stock, or getting paid to poison usenet forums.
>
> : It bothers me because there are always 'managers' asking us why we build
> : industrial robots using w2k instead of linux. Of course they heard that
> : linux is free and stable where w2k is too expensive and unreliable.
> : We mostly respond that it is theoretically possible but if they want to find
> : out, they have to hire new programmers.
>
> Why, are you incapable of learning something a bit different?  Despite
> the BS buzzword-complaince attitude of Human Resources departments,
> a good programmer can switch to a new OS without too much trouble.

Imagine trying to switch from 4.2 BSD to DOS....ANY version of DOS..

UGH!

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Uptimes by OS, for the Hot 100.
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 00:37:02 -0500

http://www.amihotornot.com/

> Bobby

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "JS/PL" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 00:38:27 -0500

"Russ Lyttle" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Ayende Rahien wrote:
> >
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > > [deletia]

> > CD.
> > >
> > > Then please outline the procedure for initiating an
> > > upload with IE5...
> >
> > Sure, open one window of explorer and navigate to the files that you
want to
> > copy, choose then and press CTRL+C
> > Then either type F6 & the ftp adress or open a new windows and enter the
ftp
> > adress in it.
> > Wait for it to login, press CTRL+V
>
> Linux :
> ftp [site name]
> [login as prompted]
> cd [destination directory]
> put [filename]
> bye
>
> as I said elsewhere, the put feature doesn't work from NT at work.

Internet Explorer:
ftp://ftp.whatever.com
If no anonymous access then - File | Login As
drag files to and fro.

------------------------------

From: "Bobby D. Bryant" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Getting first W2K server
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 23:42:39 -0600

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> This deciding of buyiong W2K was made by CIO out of town, with none from
> technical group specially not invited, is this regular for Microsoft
> sellers to do this sneak attack?

It's not just Microsoft.  I spent a while in IT at a big corporation, and
technical decisions were usually made by clueless middle managers after
being wined and dined (and probably other things) by salesmen.  Technically
competent people were never consulted, because they couldn't be relied on
to give the "right" answer.

About the only time a salesman wasn't in the decision loop is when the
decision was handed down by a higher-level manager waging a career-building
turf battle.  Of course, those decisions weren't made for technical reasons
either.

Bobby Bryant
Austin, Texas

------------------------------

From: Mike Martinet <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 22:48:12 -0700

Tell me about it.

The other day, the P90 MB for my linux machine toasted after the power
supply choked.  I had a P133 box sitting around and so I took the 2.5G
and 500M HDs out of the P90 and put them in the P133.  The thing booted
and resumed its activities, fetchmail, gateway, firewall, without me
having to sit through 35 dialog boxes informing me that 'Windows has
found new hardware' and 'Windows is now installing the software for your
new hardware' which, of course, would require numerous reboots.

So then I powered down and replaced the local net ISA NIC with a PCI
card, edited one line in conf.modules and when I turned it back on,
Poof!, faster throughput.  No complaints, no endless streams of dialog
boxes, just Plug 'n' Edit 'n' Play.

MjM

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Why can't Microsoft keep their web servers up?
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 05:39:20 GMT

Someone actually changed their Internic entries .....I did a whois on
microsoft.com, and here is one of their entries.

Server Name: MICROSOFT.COM.SHOULD.GIVE.UP.BECAUSE.LINUXISGOD.COM
IP Address: 207.10.88.13
Registrar: INTERNET DOMAIN REGISTRARS
Whois Server: whois.registrars.com
Referral URL: www.registrars.com

http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-4583218.html?tag=st.ne.1002.unkn&tag=un
> > > kn

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: "Bobby D. Bryant" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 23:52:04 -0600

"." wrote:

> Funny how microsoft sales droids dont like to talk to technical people.

I should have also said in my other post ("not just Microsoft"), that if your
company buys the wrong thing and it doesn't work as advertised, standard
practice is to blame the technical staff for sabotaging it.

I was in the political hot seat over this once.  The company made a really
stupid purchasing decision, and the product absolutely would not work as
promised.  Two people before me had tried to make it work, and failed, and
were being accused of not wanting it to work.  When the hot potato fell into
my lap, I followed the vendor's instructions and also discovered that it
would not work as promised.  Not being one to play the fall guy, I ran a
suite of systematic tests and plotted the results vs. parameter settings.
When I plotted the a graph I got a sawtooth pattern that strongly suggested
that some integer variable was wrapping around because it did not have enough
bits.  That was enough to convince my boss to demand a conference call with
the product's maintainer.  He was *really* annoyed to be bothered by a
customer, and let slip that the system was experimental and was never
intended to be used as the salesman had promised.

The fallout?  None at all.  Corporations are accustomed to letting lying
salesmen make their decisions for them, and then ordering IT to "make it
work".

Bobby Bryant
Austin, Texas