From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Getting first W2K server
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 03:42:55 -0500

"Bobby D. Bryant" wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:
>
> > Especially to those with MCSE after their name.
>
> I have a MSCS, and I'm afraid companies will skim my resume and throw it in the
>rejects
> pile.

Well, at least these days, you don't have to attend a $10,000/year university
to get Unix expertise like back in the 1980's.

> Bobby Bryant
> Austin, Texas

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Subject: Re: Win2k vs Linux? Why downgrade to Linux?
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 03:45:17 -0500

David Shuller wrote:

> > > As long as you don't mind using slrnpull to create a local spool and
> > > deal with it.
>
> What the he** is "slrnpull?". Look, this is simple:  Windows 2K is both
> granular and stable.  So stop your whining.  The simple fact is that Windows
> 2K is much easier to administer than Red Had or any other Linux Distrib.

Yeah...driving into the office to reboot a server at 3:00am and then spending
the next day suffering from sleep deprivation is is sooooo much easier
then getting a good night's sleep EVERY night.

> ever thought about. It seems to me that Linux adherents *LOVE* obscure
> references to programs that are generally included in Linux distributions.

the standard programs of /bin are NOT obscure.

> It seems to me that a lot of folk substitute "obscure and obdurate" command
> line instructions for intellect.  Real intellect comes from making the
> obscure crystal clear; an objective Linux has never embraced.  Indeed, Linux
> seems to substitute simple rote memory for intelligence...don't believe me?
> Read any Linux group. There you see people from all over Earth parroting "/
> this and .that".
>
> Hahahahahahha!

Anybody with a whiff of Unix experience knows that you're lying.

> > > You can't do what I mentioned above though. Every time you want to
> > > change a group setting you have to edit the config file. I can change
> > > ANY of the properties on a group by group basis on the fly.
> > >

> > > Flatfish Why do they call it a flatfish? Remove the ++++ to reply.
> >
> > Change your name to deadfish !
> >
> > --
> >   Sign The Linux Driver Petition.
> >   http://www.libranet.com/petition.html
> >   SuSE-linux at cc23974-a.hnglo1.ov.nl.home.com :-)
> >   http://www.geocities.com/evil_tukker

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Subject: Re: More Linux woes
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 03:46:39 -0500

David Shuller wrote:

> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >
> > > Under Win2k I can select either analog CD output or Digital output and
> > > depending upon which one I select, the signal is transferred over one
> > > of 2 little cables with berg connectors. The IDE channel is NOT used
> > > for data transfer and as a result the system performance is NOT
> > > impacted.
> > >
> > I bet, though, that under win2k your reset switch will break befire mine
> > does under Linux (and mine is nearly 3 years old, AND it isn't loose).
> >
> > Incidentally, sorry to anyone intelligent out there.  I am trolling!
>
> Ha! I hit the reset switch more often with Red Hat, SUSE, and Debian than I
> ever did with Win2K!

Translation: "I, David Shuller, am a complete fucking idiot"

>                      Moreover, Windows actually worked (with-out crashing)
> something none of the above mentioned distributions of Linux were able to
> do.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Shane Phelps <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 3100 W2K Adv Servers deployed accross Europe
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 20:07:40 +1100

Well, I was a bit annoyed when I read this, but then I realised who
wrote it ;-)

I'm sitting back having a nice cold beer and chilling out. My kids were
fractious
this  afternoon, so I'm getting used to it :-)
(Don't worry Chad. Give it another few years and you'll be allowed to do that,
too)

Chad Myers wrote:

> "Shane Phelps" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >

> > Ayende Rahien wrote:
> > >
> > > "Shane Phelps" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > > please?
> > >
> > > http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/guide/server/solutions/overview/reliabl
> > > e/default.asp
> > >
> > > "And the three offerings in the family-Windows 2000 Server, Advanced Server,
> > > and Datacenter Server-allow you to tailor your investment to provide the
> > > level of system availability that's appropriate for your various business
> > > operations, without overbuying for situations that don't require maximum
> > > uptime."
> > >
> > > Tell me what this tells you?
> >
> > Ayende,
> >
> > Thank you for the effort you've put into this response.
> > It's good to see somebody from either camp who can advocate without
> > mud-slinging or name-calling.
> > [it's been one of those days :-(]
> >
> > For your information, I don't really think Microsoft deliberately introduces
> > instability into the non-server versions of their products. That was
> > just a rhetorical question in response to Chad's assertion that *workstation*
> > reliability is invalid.
>
> Typical Penguinista spin.

Thank you for the compliment, but I'm afraid I can't accept it.
Nint: does the word Starfire mean anything to you?

> The person who posed that was posing it as though it was the end all be
> all of stability on Windows. That was a benchmark of a desktop workstation

Actually, it was a *joke*.
You do know what one of those is don't you?
Sometimes you exaggerate a little in a *joke*

I *know* it was a joke, because *I* made it. The grownups understood that.

Let's try again, in words of two sounds (sy-lla-bles) or less:

A person said that using lots of W2K Servers showed how stable W2K is.
I said that the numbers used by Mic-ro-soft showed that on av-er-age
one would crash every hour (when the big hand gets up the top).

You do know what Mi-cro-soft is don't you. It's the com-pa-ny you
want to work for when you grow up.

Jokes are meant to be funny because they are a little silly.
Mic-ro-soft's litle friends at NSTL said that W2K only crashes
every 3,000 hours (when the big hand gets to the top).
These people are using 3,000 W2K servers.
3,000 divided by 3,000 equals 1
(Oh, I'm sorry. Haven't you got that far yet?)

I think the grownups understood it
Oh, what do you know. It was Conrad who said it showed how stable W2K is.
Are Conrad and Jan your imaginary playmates?
How sweet.

> in a workstation environment under workstation conditions. Servers are
> kept in more reliable situations (better hardware, better physical
> environment, etc), with better trained, better paid staff watching
> over them. Uptime is consierably higher in this situation.
> Using the workstation numbers to judge the stability of Win2K server
> is assinine at best.

well, what have we snipped here?

"I actually agree that NT servers will be more stable
than desktop boxes, but Chad came at it entirely the wrong way :-)
The reason that servers will be more stable is because the hardware is
usually fairly tightly controlled and from one of the tier-1 suppliers
(Compaq, Dell, IBM, etc). Ancillary components will usually be more
tightly controlled as well, and the machines will usually be more rigidly
evaluated before deployment. Servers will usually run a much smaller software
rnage, and will be test-run for an extended evaluation period before deployment.
This is essentially what we did before deploying our NT 4 servers. The NFS
server software would consistently BSOD the server, so we changed to another
vendor."

Oh dear, you seem to have repeated what you snipped.
Big people call that sort of thing fibbing, Chad.
*Really* big people call it plagiarism, but that's a big word you won't
have seen yet.

oh, the NT servers were a choice between HP/UX and NT 4 Server. NT was much
cheaper so we went with that. Yes, typical Penguinista ;-)

> > I actually agree that NT servers will be more stable
> > than desktop boxes, but Chad came at it entirely the wrong way :-)
>
> It was obvious what I said to anyone who had a clue. The fact that that

It was obvious what you said to *anybody*, even the grownups (after a little
translation)

> kind of ignorant idea was put forth in the first place should be
> embarassing to your side of the camp.

Chad, *jokes* usually border into the absurd. I've already said what
the joke was. Would you like me to tell you again?

NST says that W2K crashes on average every 3,000 hours
These people are using 3,000 W2K servers.
Using NSTL's numbers, that's one crash per hour.

The joke lies in using raw numbers without considering operational
aspects (scheduled reboots, tighter administration, etc), better hardware,
reduced application range, tighter control over drivers, clustering, etc.
The joke may have fallen flat (differnet cultural imperatives, bad joke)
in that Ayende replied seriously as well. Ayende at least had the decency
to reply graciously, and provided Microsoft's server URL which explains
why W2K Server is more operationally reliable than W2K Workstation.

So what's my side of the camp, Chad?
Did you ever think that some of us can use different things for
different jobs?
Yes, I *know* that a screwdriver and a rock are the H*rl*y D*v*ds*n toolkit,
but some people try to use the appropriate tool for the job.

All joking aside:
1) I was entirely serious in my thanks to Ayende. That is the standard
of advocacy I would like to see all-round (a vain hope at best)
You came in with a "W2K Server is perfect - prove it isn't" approach.
Ayende said "Here is why W2K servers are more reliable than W2K workstations"
I hope you can see the difference.

2) I don't have a very high opinion of Conrad afer an earlier run, but
he
corrected  my errors on NT's C2 certification (and C2 in general), and I
accept
his correction. He was right and I was wrong.

3) I actually have an interest in NT stability for a number of reasons.
One of those reasons is that I recommended the use of NT 4 TS / Citrix
Metaframe for a particular requirement, and NSTL's figures have me doubting
that I did the right thing. NT4 TS / Metaframe would appear to be have stability
more akin to the workstaion profile than the server profile.

------------------------------

From: Shane Phelps <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: C2
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 20:11:34 +1100

Charlie Ebert wrote:

> In article <vmpc6.27757$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> Chad Myers wrote:
> >
> >"Shane Phelps" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >> I love it when "Jan" and "Conrad" play tag-team :-)

> >> I wasn't aware of that. Thanks for the update. URL please?
> >> Oh, don't bother about the URL - I see it down the bottom

> >> Que? Red *is* networked. Orange is standalone. Are you talking about NT4
> >Server?
> >> Is there really such a thing as a "personal" OS? Did you mean workstation?

> >> Certification would have to take a while. Sun still have Trusted Solaris 8
> >> jumping through the certification hoops as well (C2 + B1).

> >> The earlier C2 stuff I saw around the time of the NT 3.5 certification
> >> and much of the later material indicated that it's the *system*, not the
> >> OS or hardware which is certified. For example, is a dual-boot PC
> >> (Linux and NT 4) C2?
> >> I guess they were reading more into C2 than it really covers.
> >
> >C2 does cover the system, of which the OS is a major part.
> >The system part just covers being able to lock the case, having
> >a shut-off switch if the cover is open, monitoring when
> >the cover has been opened and a few other minor items.
> >
> >The major part of the testing is the OS and how it handles
> >security and multiple users on the system.
> >
> >I believe NT is certified on several different hardware platforms,
> >all of which are available to the average joe (mainly through
> >Compaq). One could buy similar hardware to the boxes tested and,
> >while not technically C2, you could obtain the level of security
> >tested in the C2 certification because, as I stated before,
> >the OS is the main focus of the certification.
> >
> >-Chad
> >

> And as WE stated before.  It's software and hardware.
>
> And now you finally admit it.
>
> That's a good boy.
>
> Charlie

I've skimmed the document Conrad referred to.
I accept his assertion that C2 applies to the OS only

------------------------------

From: Shane Phelps <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux 2.4 Major Advance
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 20:13:25 +1100

Chad Myers wrote:

> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:94s88j$11i$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > In comp.os.linux.advocacy Chad Myers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > > "J Sloan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > > Then you have no idea how the scientific world works. All studies
> > > are sponsored by someone, but it doesn't affect the outcome of
> > > the study.
> >
> > Then you have never been involved in the 'scientific world'.
> >
> > I have.  I was involved in radon research in the late 80s-early90s
> > in northeastern pennsylvania.
> >
> > I can tell you that under no uncertian terms, sponsorship absolutely
> > affects the outcome of these studies.
>
> Ah yes, anecdotal qualified evidence. Suddenly, this makes everything
> ok.
>
> Whatever.
>
> Have you ever taken an aspirin? I'm sure you probably take Zoloft

Aspirin wouldn't pass the current drug certification.
It has too many adverse side-effects

------------------------------

From: Shane Phelps <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Ramen worm/virus cracks NASA and others
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 20:20:37 +1100

Conrad Rutherford wrote:

> "." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:94quch$dtp$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > In comp.os.linux.advocacy Jan Johanson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > > "." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > news:94qa01$fbc$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > > Lie.
> >
> > > Read this:
> > > http://www.radium.ncsc.mil./tpep/epl/entries/TTAP-CSC-EPL-99-001.html
> >
> > Looks like unix still beats NT:
> >
> > http://www.radium.ncsc.mil/tpep/epl/entries/CSC-EPL-93-008-A.html
>
> I have never even suggested that there are not other OSes with higher
> security ratings than NT.
>
> I am rebuffing any claim that C2 was not achieve by NT4 while networked and
> with a floppy drive.

I made one of those claims. I accept Conrad's evidence that I was mistaken

> I do not see linux listed anywhere...
I believe that NSA are in trhe process of providing a C2 + B1 version

NT5 and Trusted Solaris 8 aren't certified yet, either.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 04:10:53 -0500
From: Glitch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: MS to Enforce Registration - or Else

Harlan Grove wrote:

> In article <94snje$ekf$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (.) wrote:
>
>> Wasnt there something about a government BY the people and FOR the
>> people written down somewhere?

> The US is a republic not a democracy. Kindly read the Federalist Papers
> for the rationale behind not trusting the populace. It has a government
> of laws, and the laws in the state of Florida were fairly clear, and
> the polling stations had signs giving instructions that voters should
> make sure that their ballots were punched through and to remove hanging
> chads. And if they double-punched, they could ask for new ballot papers.
>
> Maybe there's a good reason for literacy tests after all.

and lie detector tests---this past administration would have burnt the
machines up after lying so much.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 04:14:35 -0500
From: Glitch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

. wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy Harlan Grove <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> In article <94snje$ekf$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>>  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (.) wrote:
>>
>>> Wasnt there something about a government BY the people and FOR the
>>> people written down somewhere?

>> The US is a republic not a democracy. Kindly read the Federalist Papers
>> for the rationale behind not trusting the populace. It has a government
>> of laws, and the laws in the state of Florida were fairly clear, and
>> the polling stations had signs giving instructions that voters should
>> make sure that their ballots were punched through and to remove hanging
>> chads. And if they double-punched, they could ask for new ballot papers.
>

> Ah, you dont have a very good understanding of what happened in florida.
>
> You're one of those insane federalists who believes that his government
> is incapable of doing any sort of wrong, arent you?
>
> I'll bet you believe in god too, dontcha?
>
> Thats very sweet.

yeah <sarcasm> what a horrid idea to actually believe in God huh? <sarcasm>

Considering the US was founded on Christian beliefs I find this normal
and hopeful that people might actually have a set of morals not based on
their own ideology (which would be inherently imperfect given we are human).

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 04:20:45 -0500
From: Glitch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

. wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy Mark Bratcher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>> Bullshit.
>>>
>>> As has been shown beyond the shadow of a doubt in the latest elections
>>> in the united states, your vote DOES NOT COUNT.
>>>
>>> Happy dreamworld,
>>>
>>> -----.
>>

>> Sour grapes? You sound like your guy didn't get in. ;-)
>

> I despise them both. :)

why is having a guy as President that actually has a universal set of
morals such a bad thing?  Some people view having a good moral
background as more important than being able to supposedly invent the
Internet or 'putting the economy back on track'. They are only his
morals in the fact that he has embraced them, just like most other
Christians in the world. You can't say he shouldn't share them b/c they
are God's to share, not his. If Bush dies those morals still exist, even
if a lot of people like making their own.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 04:22:58 -0500
From: Glitch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

. wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy Craig Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

>> Certain countries (Norway comes to mind) are very friendly towards
>> choice and freedom, but not 'Europe' in general.
>

> Netherlands: all the freedom of norway with 1. half the taxes and
> 2. more to do.
    ^^^^^^^^

red lights hurt my eyes :P