From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (.)
Subject: Re: Gates Vaccine
Date: 27 Jan 2001 22:15:13 GMT

mlw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> gryb wrote:
>>
>> Gates Vaccine
>>
>> If Bill Gates had done something bad,  it would have been the front
>> page news of every newspaper in the USA and perhaps the world.
>>
>> Well,  he's done something good.
>>
>> The odd thing is  ---  it's not front page news.

> It is a common tactic for the robber barons in society shroud themselves in
> "good" deeds made possible only by the crimes they have committed.

It comes right down to this; alot of things are more important than computers.
Life is one of them.

It doesnt matter WHY he gave the money away;  if you were bitten by a poisonous
snake and faced certian death unless antivenin was given immediately, would you
refuse it if bill gates were holding the syringe?

I wouldnt.

=====.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: NTFS Limitations (Was: RE: Red hat becoming illegal?)
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 17:13:42 -0500

Chad Myers wrote:

> "Paul Colquhoun" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > |Actually, I'd keep bashing Linux about that, by your criterion,
> > |since ext3 inherits your hated 2GB limit for file size.
> >

> > Umm, no, it dosn't inherit this limit from ext2, since ect2 dosn't
> > have that limit either.
>
> ext3 doesn't have the limit, but ext2 does to some extent. There's
> a half-fix, but applications still must implement it, which many
> have not.

Ext2 file-size limit is in the TB range

> -Chad

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: MS to Enforce Registration - or Else
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 17:16:42 -0500

"." wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Conversely, in a 1994 interview, Gates proclaimed that one of his goals is
> > to collect a surcharge for EVERY financial transaction on the planet.
> > Translation: he wants to pick everybody's pocket, even if it's
> > settling for one penny at a time.
>
> Indeed, and im glad you brought up this difference.
>
> Gates is exactly the sort of person who would have been up against a wall
> during WWII in germany.
>
> Thus, the interesting comparison of Gates and hitler; they surely would
> have despised eachother and Gates would have probably ended up dead right
> quick.
>
> Note that this does not make hitler into anything except what he actually
> was; a syphallis-ridden homocidal maniac.

To hell with both of them.

> -----.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 17:18:03 -0500

Johan Kullstam wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> > > I think we can all agree that what happened in florida during this past
> > > election could be defined at the very least as a highly disorganized and
> > > flawed state electoral system.
> >

> > No...merely corrupt Demoncrook National Committee people playing
> > footsie with corrupt Demoncrook county election officials and even
> > more corrupt Demoncrook Florida Supreme Starchamber
> > dictat^H^H^H^H^^H^Hjustices.
>
> the only difference was that the republicrooks owned the higher
> court.  they are both equally bogus.

What part of "Federal law dictates that the rules of an election
can NOT be changed after the voting has started" do you not understand?

> --
> J o h a n  K u l l s t a m
> [[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
> Don't Fear the Penguin!

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 17:18:43 -0500

Johan Kullstam wrote:

> "Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > "Kevin Ford" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > > Hmmm..... what's ext3 and reiser then
> >
> > Where are ext2 and reiser?
>
> reiserfs is available from ftp.namesys.com.
>
> > Still not shipping or production.
>
> SuSE has been shipping reiserfs for some time now.
>
> furthermore, reiserfs is added to linux kernel since 2.4.1-pre7 so
> expect to see it in more linux distributions.
>
> > They're not the default fs' on the major distros,
>
> most people consider SuSE a major distro.  as for being the default,
> maybe it's not, but you do have a choice.
>
> > they're
> > only included (on some) as an at-your-on-risk kind of deal.
> >
> > When Red Hat, SuSE, Caldera, et al ship with Resier
> > or ext3 as the default, then I'll stop bashing Linux for
> > this horrible weakness.
>
> one could make the case that NT ships with FAT16 as the default.  i
> think that it's easy enough to choose NTFS that it doesn't matter.  NT
> does *both* FAT16 and NTFS.

But...NOT FAT32.

> --
> J o h a n  K u l l s t a m
> [[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
> Don't Fear the Penguin!

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 17:20:15 -0500

Chad Myers wrote:

> "Paul Colquhoun" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > On Sat, 27 Jan 2001 01:25:40 GMT, Chad Myers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> > |
> > |"Paul Colquhoun" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > |news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > |wrote:
> > |> |
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > |> |> |

> > |> |> |

> > |> |

> > |There was a supposed patch that allows ext2 to use >2GB files
> > |on 32-bit, even though it doesn't seem to be all-inclusive
> > |and there are still "issues".

> > |Who cares? It still sucks and a replacement that brings it up
> > |to 1994 level still hasn't arrived yet. Let alone bring it up
> > |to 2001 level.
> >

> > Are you *sure* you don't have a learning disability?
> >
> > For about the 4th time (from me, more from others) the 2Gb limit
> > is *not* a problem with ext2.
>
> Every time I hear that, about four posts later, I hear someone
> qualifying it. Something like "well, applications have to be rewritten
> to take advantage of the new fix", or "it's available in an unsupported patch",
> or something like this.
>
> > Let me put it this way. The on disk data structures for ext2 have *always*
> > supported files greater than 2Gb. The limitation on 32bit Linux systems
> > was one level higher in the driver heirarchy.
>
> So you're admitting it was a design flaw? I'm glad, because that's what it
> is. Several other FS vendors have successfully made file systems that support
> >2GB on several different platforms.
>
> > When we install the 2.4.x kernal and associated libraries to enable >2Gb file
> > support, we do *not* have to reformat any disk partitions to make the change
> > effective.
>
> What about the applications? Don't most of them have to be rewritten to support
> the new method?

What part of "UNIX IS NOT WINDOWS" do you not fucking understand, SHIT-HEAD?

> -Chad

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 17:21:21 -0500

Johan Kullstam wrote:

> "Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > "Johan Kullstam" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > > i agree.  linux should move to 64 bit size_t for files regardless of
> > > processor.  linux-2.4 will do large files, but C is a cranky beast
> > > sometimes and updating software can be cumbersome.

> > > unix style filesystems with the inodes &c were also designed in the
> > > 70s.  however, it's not the age of the filesystem design.  it's the
> > > also competence of the design and the goal of the design.  FAT was
> > > made for floppies and tiny systems.  unix filesystems were made for
> > > hard drives and larger systems.  it's still MS's fault for keeping
> > > such a bad design as FAT and trying to keep it going where it doesn't
> > > belong, but age is not the issue.
> >
> > It's interesting then, now that FAT has moved on, whereas ext2fs
> > has not.
>
> ext2fs is only a few years old.
>
> > (NOTE: I realize FAT sucks, I'm not trying to claim it's
> > better than ext2fs, just more updated).
>
> unix filesystems were expanded from plain inodes, to indirect inodes
> and later to double and tripple indirect inodes to keep up with disk
> drive size increases.  unix' filesystem design has been patched and
> kludged since the 70s just like cp/m or mircrosoft FAT.

Actually, the use of indirect and double-indirect and triple-indirect
inodes is pure ELEGANCE....

> btw i am using reiserfs for about a year.  so far i like it.
>
> --
> J o h a n  K u l l s t a m
> [[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
> Don't Fear the Penguin!

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Craig Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Ramen worm/virus cracks NASA and others
Date: 27 Jan 2001 15:24:03 -0700

"Conrad Rutherford" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> "Craig Kelley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> highly
> > >
> > > But it can't even reach C2 level of security... NT is more "highly
> > > securable" the NSA says...
> >
> > Perhaps, but SGI is working on a B1 certification for Linux
> > (subdomains and such).  Have fun with your C2 for as long as you can!
>
> Yes, and W2K is shooting for B1 certification too so ... we'll see who get's
> there first. W2K is already in the final stages of C2 certification.

There have been informal C2 certifications for Linux.

> Of course, if you understand these ratings you'd know your comment
> "subdomans and such" is meaningless and ignorant of the facts.

That's SGI's approach for making the Linux kernel auditable.
Unfortunately, I can't get to the website right now...

Craig Kelley  -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How long does your box run for?
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 17:27:05 -0500

Michael Vester wrote:

> 144 days of uptime the longest my Linux boxes have. The only
> reason they are restarted is because like California, here in
> Alberta we are going through a power deregulation too. Power
> deregulation is the stupidest thing any government has ever
> done.  Kind of a Microsoft approach to distrubuting power.
> Expensive and unreliable but has lots of real good excuses.

Clue for the clueless:

Maintaining price controls is *NOT* deregulation.

Price controls ALWAYS lead to shortages...because profit
is always lowest when demand is highest....thus eliminating
ALL incentive to produce more supply.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: THOLEN IS A MISERABLE PIECE OF SHIT
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 17:29:47 -0500

Ralph Miguel Hansen wrote:

> Aaron R. Kulkis wrote:
>

> snip
> >
> > 1) Get off your retarded ass...
> > 2) Take your maggot-infested brain to the rim of Muana Loa
> > snip
> Would you please be so kind to tell me who is Muana Loa ?
> I really don't know that.

Muana Loa is an active volcano in Hawaii...where Tholen lives.

> Keep smiling
> Ralph Miguel Hansen

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.