  Re: Bill Gates and Michael Dell (Cerberus AOD)

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy,rec.games.frp.dnd
Subject: Re: Bill Gates and Michael Dell
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 03:11:46 -0500

G3 wrote:

> in article [EMAIL PROTECTED], Aaron R. Kulkis at [EMAIL PROTECTED]

> >> Hmmmm. Jobs is a God, but also a complete nutter, after he was ousted
> >> at Apple they had their most profitable years.
>
> Mostly because he was ousted on the verge of Mac's taking off...
>
> >> Also, Jobs liked the
> >> quotation:
> >> "Good artists copy, great artists steal", and has admitted to stealing
> >> good ideas for integration into their products.
>
> Apple usually "Finishes the Job" though.  A lot of people say Mac OS ripped
> of Xerox.  Baloney.

True.  Basically it was THE SAME PEOPLE who had previously worked at
Xerox PARC...only this time, working for a company that actually
understood what they were trying to accomplish AND wanted to see
their work hit the marketplace.

> 1: Mac OS did several things (direct object manipulation, window
> overlapping) that PARC never got NEAR.  Why?  Because the Mac team saw
> pictures of PARC and ASSUMED it could do them, thus knowing it could be done
> they'd stop at nothing to accomplish it.
>
> 2: By the end of it all the key people from PARC were on the Mac team
> anyway.

The Mac team was essentially the PARC team...PARC started shutting down,
and the majority of them ended up taking the majority of slots in the
Mac project.

They had an odd interview process...anybody joining the Mac project had
to interview with everybody already on the Mac project (so, as the project
grew, the list of people to interview with grew longer and longer)...
Very soon, it skewed heavily towards "former-PARC employees" :-)

> Gates on the other hand does things like Tell IBM he will sell them an OS
> (leaving out he lacks one to sell) TOTALLY rips off another company, adds a
> couple of crappy Microsoft BASIC things, and gets rich off almost entirely
> other people's work.
>
> >> Is this a good thing? I
> >> think
> >> so, but before you fire up on the innovation path you'd better read up
> >> on your
> >> computer history. Sure, Apple _is_ undoubtedly more innovative, but they
> >> also have taken the _best_ ideas from other great minds. Such is life.
>
> Apple takes ideas, Microsoft takes products.
>
> >> <flamebate>
> >> I guess the latest new idea from Jobs was to finally give you guy's a
> cd/rw?</flamebate>
>
> Bwahahaha.
> 1: its a CD/DVD RW.  Yes it does RW of both.
> 2: Um PCs can't even encode DVDs in less than 24X content length.
> 3: iTunes: Rip, catalog, and create custom cds which you can burn all in one
> App.
>
> Hey win amp is great and all but you'd need napster, cd ripper software,
> winamp, a CDRW, and CDRW software to do it on the PC and that's not even
> counting converting tools to go from mp3 to aiff and back again.

> >> Gates saw what other people didn't see. Remember that when he was
> >> starting out he too was a small company!
>
> Are you on crack?  IBM asked him if he had an OS, he LIED and said he had
> one in development, he bought the lamest cheapest on he could mind (QD DOS),
> and slapped the MS logo on it.  That is not vision my friend, that's luck
> and skillful evasion.
>
> MS is where it is not because of selling good product but because they have
> for YEAR used deceptive advertising, bad mouthing of the other guys
> products, threats, frequently legally questionable exclusive contracts.  And
> pretty much every idea the mob every came up with to keep yourself in
> business and off your competitors.  GATES had NOTHING to do with this, Steve
> Balmer is the smart guy who focused on Business Business Business.
>
> (It seems only Steves do the truly important stuff. :( Steve Jobs, Steve
> Balmer, Steve Case, did Netscape have a Steve?  Oh sorry they got Steved by
> AOL. ;p)
>
> -g3

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Cerberus AOD)
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy,rec.games.frp.dnd
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 08:12:09 GMT

On Mon, 05 Feb 2001 06:08:43 GMT, in my rec.games.frp.dnd coffee mug, which was
quite moldy, G3, a dying weevil, wrote the following with his antennae:
:)>in article [EMAIL PROTECTED], Aaron R. Kulkis at [EMAIL PROTECTED]
:)>wrote on 2/5/01 12:18 AM:
:)>
:)>>> Linux is a joke.  It lacks the consumer friendliness for consumers, and it
:)>>
:)>> It's not nearly as "consumer hostile" as Windows.
:)>
:)>
:)>Are you kidding me?  I installed Windows 2000 the install where it reformats
:)>you drive with potential for data loss, nope no loss did the whole thing up
:)>great, couldn't even tell you had changed the internals of the whole damned
:)>OS.  No problems.

They did? I could of sworn all they did was integrate the active desktop and
give it USB and decent P&P (not to mention more stable than NT ever was). Same
old devices and services and all that...

:)>On the other hand trying to install red hat I had to restore drive
:)>partitions like 5 times.  Red hat is great on a 486 with no other OS's
:)>anywhere near it.
:)>
:)>I can't wait for OS X to show everyone what UNIX SHOULD be by now.
:)>
:)>-g3

==================
Cerberus AOD / A Paper Cut ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
ICQ UIN: 8878412 (take out SCREWTHESPAM to mail me, okay?)
"Children of tomorrow live in the tears that fall today"
-Children of the Grave, Black Sabbath

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy,rec.games.frp.dnd
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 03:12:37 -0500

G3 wrote:

> in article [EMAIL PROTECTED], Aaron R. Kulkis at [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> wrote on 2/5/01 12:18 AM:
>
> >> Linux is a joke.  It lacks the consumer friendliness for consumers, and it
> >
> > It's not nearly as "consumer hostile" as Windows.
>
> Are you kidding me?  I installed Windows 2000 the install where it reformats
> you drive with potential for data loss, nope no loss did the whole thing up
> great, couldn't even tell you had changed the internals of the whole damned
> OS.  No problems.
>
> On the other hand trying to install red hat I had to restore drive
> partitions like 5 times.

What were you doing wrong?

>  Red hat is great on a 486 with no other OS's anywhere near it.
>
> I can't wait for OS X to show everyone what UNIX SHOULD be by now.
>
> -g3

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy,rec.games.frp.dnd
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 03:14:15 -0500

G3 wrote:

> in article [EMAIL PROTECTED], Aaron R. Kulkis at [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> wrote on 2/5/01 12:19 AM:
>
> > If Microsoft's stuff is "easier", why does it take so much more effort
> > to keep it running properly compared to my Linux box?
> > Hmmmmmmmmmm?
>
> I wouldn't know. It takes so long to do something with linux shitty
> interface I can't accurately compare their complexity in terms of upkeep.
> In my case I have yet to have a Linux system around as long as a Windows
> install because its so hard to get it to DO anything and the interface is
> such a piece of total smeg that I quickly realize I could do this in 3 steps
> under Windows 3.11 and move from the linux machine to a PC or more often
> than not a Mac.

That's because you refuse to take your hand off the stupid mouse.

I'm 10x more productive on just a couple of dumb ascii terminals connected
to a Unix machine than I'll ever be with current Windows offerings.

And yes, I am 100% serious when I say that.

There is VERY little work that actually needs a GUI.

> Linux is a nice free webserver that's about it.
> -g3

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Microsoft is FUN and Linux is BORING
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 03:18:16 -0500

Arthur Gravity wrote:

> And MS also runs Hotmail on FreeBSD because NT can't handle that much
> traffic.
>
> MS Windows is a poorly implemented rip off of MacOS and Unix anyway.  And
> everybody knows that Steve Jobs and the Apple designers stole the GUI from
> Xerox's PARC.

Wrong.  Apple didnt steal anything.

Xerox leadership bought PARC, but never took the time do find out and
understand what the people at PARC were doing.

Then, Xerox stopped funding them adequately.

Morale plummeted.

Apple was hiring, with Jobs saying "show me something revolutionary"

A-ha...a new HOME.

So the PARC empoloyees packed up their brains and moved down the
street to Apple.

No theft about it, unless you call "giving respect and support to
under-appreciated geniuses" to be theft.

> One thing I am liking about this newsgroup is that is far less of the raging
> flame war that I had expected, and actually has some interesting threads.
>
> "Nigel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message

> > > And HP and Sun.
> > >

> > And even Microsoft as they are now using Linux based DNS servers due to
> > the unreliability of their own ones.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: The 130MByte text file
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 03:21:33 -0500

Pete Goodwin wrote:

> Michael J. Burns wrote:
>
> > This has been discussed before.  I tried to threaten and then recover my
> > Caldera 1.1 system (released in spring of 1997) using that technique.  The
> > system became quite slow, but was recoverable as follows.
>
> As Mandrake places no limits on the number of processes, my system was very
> flooded with forked children forking more children. Result - the console
> prompt did not respond. So I had to reboot.

How long did you wait?

It's not like Windows, where, if you things get bogged down for 15 seconds,
you can be assured that it's NEVER going to come back...

If you intentionally bog down the system, then, give it time to work through,
dork.

> > 7. End the crisis by entering "killthis crash" in a console.
> >
> > I did not bother rebooting after this little exercise.  Aren't newer
> > releases of Linux just as robust?
>
> I couldn't type in any commands, the shell wasn't responding.
>
> --
> Pete, running KDE2 on Linux Mandrake 7.2

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Subject: Re: Win2k vs Linux? Why downgrade to Linux?
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 03:22:22 -0500

Arthur Gravity wrote:

> If Windows NTie is so freaking easy to administer, why did I have to use the
> CLI to add a mac share?  Not that I am complaining about learning useful new
> skills, but wouldn't right clicking the volume and selecting sharing and
> then Mac sharing (or some similar operation) be more intuitive?
>
> I'll take Un*x CLI over Win GUI anyday.  With the right Jedix at the helm
> Un*x will win hands down.

Windows NT....so simple, not even MS's on MCSE's can get it to work right.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: usability?
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 08:22:45 +0000

In article <1Ipf6.212$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Erik Funkenbusch"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> "mlw" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> Who says Linux isn't ready? All it needs is OEMs to ship it instead of
> Windows,
>> and if Microsoft didn't have a monopoly, it would happen sooner than
> later.
>
> Linus says Linux isn't ready to compete on the desktop.  In fact, he
> thinks it's at least 5 years away from doing so.
>
> Are you going to disagree with him?

Yes. He's not going to be right about everything. He was right about the
kernel, but this is more a matter of opinion and I think he's wrong.

-Ed

--
Did you know that the reason that windows steam up in cold|Edward Rosten
weather is because of all the fish in the atmosphere?     |u98ejr

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: linux is dieing
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 03:23:10 -0500

J Sloan wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:
>
> > Mike Martinet wrote:
> > >
> > > Hey!
> > >
> > > That brings up a question I've never faced before.  How do you go about
> > > backing up a working Linux implementation?  If you (or anyone) wouldn't
> >
> > use the /sbin/dump command (and it's mate, /sbin/recover)
>
> You meant "restore", I know you did...

brain fart.

> jjs

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Cerberus AOD)
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy,rec.games.frp.dnd
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 08:23:50 GMT

On Mon, 05 Feb 2001 03:14:15 -0500, in my rec.games.frp.dnd coffee mug, which
was quite moldy, Aaron R. Kulkis, a dying weevil, wrote the following with his
antennae:
:)>G3 wrote:
:)>>
:)>> in article [EMAIL PROTECTED], Aaron R. Kulkis at [EMAIL PROTECTED]
:)>> wrote on 2/5/01 12:19 AM:
:)>>
[...]

Games, anything to be printed and formatted, and drawing. There are some things
the GUI can do nice, and some of us (with mouse reflexes having been built up
quite nicely) can go at it as fast as w/ a command line. But one of the bad
things about windows is they always find ways to make the GUI slower. I move to
a Duron 1G (800 at 1000), and the thing fades and has shadows and whatnot, so it
is no faster than my 350.

So back to using the DOS prompt every chance I get...
The main problem with linux is there is so much there and it takes forever to
configure everything.
The good thing is once you do that, it only has to be restarted when there is a
blackout.
It isn't perfect, and no distribution seems to be so far...but give it a few
years. When you can teach non-nerds to use it, it is ready to compete. I
reformat just for space reasons often enough that I haven't bothered too much w/
linux (I have a habit of getting any software that looks cool as says
'free'...and now I have a cable 'net connection) for now...

:)>>