From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,soc.singles
Subject: Re: What is user friendly?
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 16:32:59 -0500

BrendaLee wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:
> >
> > BrendaLee wrote:

> > > I experienced that same issue with Windows 98. I lost so many
> > > writings in mid stream. At one point there in the end I was
> >
> > And Jackie calls this "user friendly"
>
> Windows 'is' extremely user friendly, Aaron. I just question them

If you call crashing in mid-stream while you write a document "friendly"
I myself, call that downright user hostile.

By the way, if you want pointy-clicky, you can have all the pointy-clicky
you want on any of 15 Unix GUIs.  If you don't like how one behaves,
then log out and try another one.

> putting it out there with issues. In the rush to keep em coming I
> think sometimes they don't allow for enough testing time.
>
> Or better yet.. give it to 'me' in beta stage before release. If
> there is a bug or an issue I will be sure to find it.
>
> :)

You and everybody else.

That's because Microsoft is so honest and puts their bugs right
out where they're easy to find.

> > > rebooting just about daily. I was a fanatic about saving and still
> > > found it extremely exasperating. I had a windows 98/ NT dual boot
> > > system. As soon as Windows 2000 came out I redid that portion of
> > > my operating system. I have had NO crashes, not even a one. It is
> > > like a new computer. Although I have heard many people say they
> > > had no problems with windows 98 I found it full of bugs and
> > > intermittent problems.
> >
> > For HOW MANY YEARS did Windows-defending morons keep repeating
> > "stability doesn't matter" ????
>
> I find it very stable now. Never a problem.

You did write this, didn't you:
> > > "I experienced that same issue with Windows 98. I lost so many
> > > writings in mid stream. At one point there in the end I was
> > > rebooting just about daily. I was a fanatic about saving and still
> > > found it extremely exasperating."

> > Now..what other lies are they spreading.
> >

> > > NT is solid. The only problem is that for many games it is out of
> >
> > Only as a workstation.
>
> I don't know . I was using it as my sole operating system for
> quite a while.

Believe me, if you decide to put a corporations enterprise-level
database on a Losedogs NT box, you're gonna be in for a lot of
sleepness nights due to 2:00 AM freezes and crashes.

> > > the question. Slowly but surely Windows 2000 is working with the
> > > software as drivers or a generic equivalent is coming into play. I
> > > had to wait for 2 months for my scanner to create a driver for
> > > Windows 2000. But it was worth it.
> > >
> > > When I am programming I go to the NT environment. It allows you a
> > > graceful exit when you get a GPF error. Most of the time you don't
> >                                           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > > even have to reboot. In that area windows does not handle them
> >   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> >
> > That's still abominable.
>
> Actually I have never had to reboot in NT, but I don't like the
> word never. Leaves the door open to prove me wrong.

Brenda, I like you...but, you're contradicting yourself again.
That's is how brain-washed people talk.

> :)
> BrendaLee
>
> > No operating system is ready for prime time if nearly any old
> > random program crash forces a system reboot.
> >
> > > errors quite as well as it could, or should..
> > >
> > > :)
> > > BrendaLee

> > > --
> > > BrendaLee
> > > Lady DreamCatcher
> >
> > --
> > Aaron R. Kulkis
> > Unix Systems Engineer

> BrendaLee
> Lady DreamCatcher
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> http://www.cocreator.com/ehmka/
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
> when you dance with an angel the angel don't change the angel
> changes you
>               ~~jackie 'anakin' tokeman~~
>
> brendalee makes the world better by her presence in it.
>
>               ~~jackie 'anakin' tokeman~~

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Seán Ó Donnchadha" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Unix/Linux Professionalism
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 16:36:21 -0500

> > Oh, good one, Troll M. Devlin. The truth is, your knowledge is shit,
your
> > opinions are shit, and your little bag of "debating" (read: insulting)
> > tricks is as old as the UseNet itself. You're not a technologist; you're
an
> > ignorant zealot, as well as a self-obsessed prick who enjoys insulting
> > people. In short, you're an asshole. You were born an asshole, and every
day
> > you strive to be a bigger asshole.
>
> So, in other words...what you resent is that T. Max Devlin spanks
> you and your lame arguments every time you raise them.

Actually, what I resent are his and your mothers for raising a couple of
assholes dumb enough to think their shit don't stink.

------------------------------

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: US Navy carrier to adopt Win2k infrastructure
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 13:33:26 -0800

Chad Myers wrote:

> "Michael Vester" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > mlw wrote:

> > > lol, it get funnier every time. Damn!! You don't expect anyone to believe
> your
> > > crap, do you?
> > >
> > > --
> > > I'm not offering myself as an example; every life evolves by its own laws.
> > > ------------------------
> > > http://www.mohawksoft.com
> >
> > Funny, I am one of those in "EVERYONE" and I report two losedos 2k crashes
> > a day. My work computer was setup by a MSCE and has the latest patches and
> > drivers. It just freezes. No BSOD.
>
> It's a hardware issue, ever think of that?
>
> However, whenever I install Linux on my laptop, it'll freeze after
> 2 or 3 minutes in X. That seems to be a software issue.
>
> I have seen Win2K run on about 60-70 different hardware setups now,
> and have never seen it BSOD once, except when one was running beta
> nVidia video drivers.
>
> > Usually it happens when running LookOut
> > 2000 and/or Access. Hardly stable. Still have to save my work every few
> > minutes. The Solaris I work on is stable. No crashes in three years.  My
> > Linux computers have never crashed.  That is stability.
>
> Hmm, I'd argue the opposite. I've never seend a linux box that could
> stay up for any length of time. Ususally it freezes due to the poor
> drivers, or crashes due to the poor kernel.
>
> -c

Linux is more picky about the hardware.  If it installs and you get X to
start and then get the gui up, you have a good install.  The big problem
area here are the various graphics cards out there.  Some of the newer
graphics cards require XFrees' 4.01 versions to drive them correctly.
My ISP is run by linux and it stays up.  I have Solaris 8 dual-boot
Win98 system.  Win98 once in a while will just freeze up.  Solaris stays
up without freezing and is far more reliable than Win98.  So its not a
hardware issue for me.  I've also had several distros of linux installed
and all of them worked great without freezing up contrary to Win98.
However, the biggest factor is acquiring decent hardware.  Most of the
cheapy PCs out there have marginal electrical designs.  Take Packard
Bell for instance.  Compaq PCs aren't any better.  I've had good luck
with HPs line up and also with IBMs.
The kernel is just fine.  The drivers are modules that are loaded by the
kernel.  If you want to streamline the kernel then linux provides the
facilities for the end user to do so.  I kicked out things like apple
fire wire support and SMP support.  I don't have dual processors.  All
of the latest distros now provide good info on re-compiling the kernel
to fit your own needs.  I can't do that with Win98.  Our linux group has
performed install fests for the public to show how easy it is to install
linux on their machines and how easy it is to operate it.  Some want
their games and we really have to tell them they are better off buying a
game machine for these purposes.

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux @ $19.95 per month
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 13:35:21 -0800

Flacco wrote:

> > Pretty Ironic considering that Microsoft has never innovated ANYTHING
> > in computer technology.
>
> You're forgetting about the Win2K mouse cursor drop-shadow.

Hmmm... can you tell me what this is for.  I don't have win2k.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 16:37:53 -0500

Edward Rosten wrote:

> > > This is comp.ms-windows.nt.advocacy sir.
> >           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> >
> > You are in need of a psychologist who specializes in deprogramming cult victims.
> >
> > And if you don't recognize Mafia$oft as a personality cult, akin to Stalinism
> > and Hitlerism, then you REALLY need help.
>       ^^^^^^^^^
>
> GOODWIN!!!!!!!

FUCK Godwin.

By the way, I didn't *call* anybody Adolph...I mentioned that his
followers have much in common with Bill's...

> -Ed
>
> --
> Did you know that the oldest known rock is the famous |u98ejr
> Hackenthorpe rock, which is over three trillion years |@
> old?                                                  |eng.ox
>                 -The Hackenthorpe Book of Lies        |.ac.uk

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 13:37:30 -0800

Chad Myers wrote:

> "J Sloan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Jan Johanson wrote:
> >
> > > "Chris Ahlstrom" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > > True - they like to perform regression testing before releasing their
> > > patches - no sleepless nights of untested beta code for me, thank you.
> >
> > You tell a good story but it craps out under the light
> > of investigation. It turns out windows is pretty buggy
> > and crash prone, while Linux tends to run forever,
>
> Or, in most cases, just the opposite.
>
> Perhaps you're confusing Win2K with Win9x? Yes, Win9x sucks and is
> buggy, but Win2K certainly is not.
>
> Linux, OTOH, seems to have many problems unless you don't ask it
> to do anything. The only uptimes I've seen from Linux boxes
> that was anything over 40 days or so was one with 1-2 users and
> <1% cpu utilization on average.
>
> > as do most unices.
>
> There you go, lumping Linux with Unix when it serves your purpose,
> but arguing that Linux != Unix when it doesn't serve your purpose.

> Linux is all the bad stuff of Unix, without any of the good
> stuff.

I'm totally unconvinced!

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 16:41:50 -0500

Chad Myers wrote:

> "J Sloan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Jan Johanson wrote:
> >
> > > "Chris Ahlstrom" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > > True - they like to perform regression testing before releasing their
> > > patches - no sleepless nights of untested beta code for me, thank you.
> >
> > You tell a good story but it craps out under the light
> > of investigation. It turns out windows is pretty buggy
> > and crash prone, while Linux tends to run forever,
>
> Or, in most cases, just the opposite.
>
> Perhaps you're confusing Win2K with Win9x? Yes, Win9x sucks and is
> buggy, but Win2K certainly is not.
>
> Linux, OTOH, seems to have many problems unless you don't ask it
> to do anything. The only uptimes I've seen from Linux boxes
> that was anything over 40 days or so was one with 1-2 users and
> <1% cpu utilization on average.
>
> > as do most unices.
>
> There you go, lumping Linux with Unix when it serves your purpose,
> but arguing that Linux != Unix when it doesn't serve your purpose.
>
> Linux is all the bad stuff of Unix, without any of the good
> stuff.

Yeah, bad stuff like

Stability
Ease of use
POSIX compliance
High Benefit/Cost ratio
Widest hardware support list of ANY operating system in existance.

> -c

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: Salvador Peralta <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: More FUD from Ballmer
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 13:45:25 -0800

Bruce Scott TOK quoth:

> I can't believe this guy gets any credibility anymore.  Just a lot of
> dismissals and then admissions from his own side that things aren't
> ready yet.

"IBM has not participated in the modern software revolution," added
Ballmer,

The irony here is that IBM has collaborated with microsoft on many of
the protocols that lie at the heart of .net.

--
Salvador Peralta                   -o)
Programmer/Analyst, Webmaster      / \

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 16:44:31 -0500

Interconnect wrote:

> > Linux is all the bad stuff of Unix, without any of the good
> > stuff.
> Care to elaborate?
>
> At my place of work we run DG/UX (admittedly an old installation) and Linux,
> I find many aspects of Linux superior to Unix.
> E.g. linuxconf, mailconf, locate, being able to use the up arrow to access
> you cmd history.
>
> You must admit however Win2K is pretty shoddy as a Network Server OS.
>
> We have recently purchased a Win2K server, for some internet development
> with .asp here are some problems faced.
> 1. Restrictions on the amount of developers allowed to access the machine
> i.e. 5max then you have to pay more $$
> 2. Once you install Terminal Services Client it is permanently mapped to one
> IP.
> 3. Terminal Services Client is SLOW, compared to telnet and cli with
> Unix/Linux.
> 4. You can't run a who to find current users logged into the system,
> (currently using netstat.)
> 5. Process management. You can't do a ps -ef |grep *user* and then kill a
> process of your choice. You have to hit ctrl-Alt-del, click a choice out of
> six buttons, you are presented with three tabs and a check box on one to
> list *all* other user processes. It's klunky, counter intuitive and put
> simply BAD.

That's because the Microsoft user-interface is based upon the assumption
that ***ALLL*** users are blithering idiots, including top of the line
MCSE's.

Come to think of it...the part abut the MCSE's is pretty close to the mark.

> Here are the good points.
> 1. It looks pretty.
>
> As I said I'm new to this Win2K thing but so far I have NOT been impressed.

2.  The engine needs to be rebuilt only once every 30,000 miles,
    which is a massive improvement over once every 5,000 miles.

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 16:48:56 -0500

Flacco wrote:

> > Pretty Ironic considering that Microsoft has never innovated ANYTHING
> > in computer technology.
>
> You're forgetting about the Win2K mouse cursor drop-shadow.

Oops!

What exactly *IS* a mouse cursor drop-shadow?

I've looked for a definition all over the web, and can't find anything.

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.