Linux-Advocacy Digest #994, Volume #31            Mon, 5 Feb 01 19:13:03 EST

Contents:
  Re: The Wintrolls ("Edward Rosten")
  Re: NTFS Limitations (Was: RE: Red hat becoming illegal?)
  Re: Bill Gates and Michael Dell ("Edward Rosten")
  Re: NTFS Limitations (Was: RE: Red hat becoming illegal?)
  Re: Linux is awful (.)
  Re: NTFS Limitations (Was: RE: Red hat becoming illegal?)
  Re: NTFS Limitations (Was: RE: Red hat becoming illegal?) (Peter Hayes)
  Re: win2k -> linux (Nigel)
  Re: NTFS Limitations (Was: RE: Red hat becoming illegal?) (Peter Hayes)
  Re: The Wintrolls (Nigel)
  Re: The Wintrolls (David Dorward)
  Re: The Wintrolls (Nigel)
  Re: NTFS Limitations (Was: RE: Red hat becoming illegal?) (Peter Hayes)
  Re: Linux is awful ("Sg,Poyzer")
  Re: Bill Gates and Michael Dell (Nigel)
  Re: The 130MByte text file (Bob Hauck)
  You're not just Whistler, XP! (Chris Ahlstrom)
  Re: usability? (Nigel)
  Re: Whistler predictions... ("Quantum Leaper")
  Re: NTFS Limitations (Was: RE: Red hat becoming illegal?) (Chris Ahlstrom)
  Re: New Microsoft Ad :-) (Chris Ahlstrom)

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: The Wintrolls
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 22:39:18 +0000

In article <dDEf6.29252$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Pete Goodwin"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Edward Rosten wrote:
>
>> Finally, you have people like Goodwin, Flatty and EF who hate linux and
>> seem to have is crashing the whole time and can't run software they
>> want, yet they keep on using it. Why? No sane person would carry on
>> using something if they had so many problems with it (usless it was
>> forced on them).
>
> But I don't hate Linux!

Sometimes you seem to, other times you don't.

> And it isn't crashing all the time!

That's not what I heard. You were complaining about KDE crashing (and
taking Linux with it?).

> What software is it I can't run?

You keep posting things about stuff like telnet not running, but you
refuse to post useful details.

> As for why do I keep using it - KNode is worth the effort!

I'm with pan at the moment. I actually really liked Communicator 4.75's
news client, but it lacked killfiles. Eventually, the combination of
Conrad and Jan forced me to look else where for a newsreader.

-Ed

--
Did you know that the reason that windows steam up in cold|Edward Rosten
weather is because of all the fish in the atmosphere?     |u98ejr

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: Re: NTFS Limitations (Was: RE: Red hat becoming illegal?)
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 22:44:34 -0000

On Sat, 03 Feb 2001 15:11:59 GMT, Chad Myers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>"J Sloan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> Ayende Rahien wrote:

>> > There has been an exactly one 8-way windows benchmark, you know.
>>
>> You don't think there are dozens on the cutting room floor?
>>
>> I'll bet you dollars to doughnuts they had a lot of results
>> that they didn't want to submit, before finally getting one
>> close to the Linux results.
>
>So is this what your argument has become?

        That's what your database benchmark argument boils down to.

        Either it's valid for both cases, or it's invalid for both.

[deletia]

--

        Common Standards, Common Ownership.

        The alternative only leads to destructive anti-capitalist
        and anti-democratic monopolies.
                                                               / | \

------------------------------

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy,rec.games.frp.dnd
Subject: Re: Bill Gates and Michael Dell
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 22:45:39 +0000

> you story is so full of holes I can strain tea with it.

That implies that it has enough substance to stop the leaves falling in.

-Ed

--

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 22:46:39 -0000

On Sat, 3 Feb 2001 08:29:38 +0200, Ayende Rahien <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>"J Sloan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> Ayende Rahien wrote:
>>
>> > Unix cost *much* more, and gives *much* less.
>>
>> This is of course completely false.
>>
>> Windows is one of the more expensive OSes, to be sure.
>> Let's compare Solaris 8, Red Hat Linux, FreeBSD, and win2k
>> datacenter server, and set up a mail server for 5000 users.
>> Let it serve web pages too, what the heck.
>>
>> Windows is by far the most expensive.
>>
>> Let's look at specweb 99. Compare Linux and win2k.
>> win2k is frightfully expensive, but doesn't quite match
>> Linux performance wise.
>>
>> How does that translate, in any sane universe, to
>> "unix costs more and gives much less"?
>>
>> Explain, if you can.
>
>TPC.ORG

        That doesn't prove anything.

        Unix still delivers BETTER TOTAL PERFORMANCE.

>That is what I'm referring to.
>Don't snip all of what I said and focus on one sentence.
>Keep the meaning.

        Also, such numbers only concentrate on the utility of performance
        and give no real clue as to the actual cost of maintaining the
        solution in question or how reliable it will be.

--

        In general, Microsoft is in a position of EXTREME conflict of
        interest being both primary supplier and primary competitor.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (.)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.ms-windows,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Linux is awful
Date: 5 Feb 2001 22:46:48 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>>Hey claire, just for the sake of argument, try installing FreeBSD 4.2.
>>It has full USB support, etc.  Id love to see what happens when you
>>attempt to install another flavor of UNIX.

> AIX is a piece of cake to install on an SP/2, including Perspectives
> and pssp code.

I didnt say AIX, you retarded piece of ass cheese.  I said FREEBSD.

I know EXACTLY how easy AIX is to install.  I also know how easy Solaris
and HP/UX are to install.  MacOS is very easy too.  I'm not talking
about any of those.

Again you ignore that which you cannot face, including the post where
I asked you to provide proof that I said my girlfriend lives in the
hamptons, AND the post after that asking once again.

I think youll have more problems with FreeBSD (an operating system
that millions of people seem to be able to make work just fine) than
you EVER had with linux, because it requires detailed knowledge of
the way computers work.  It also requires you to read the instructions,
all of which can be found at www.freebsd.org.

You wont do it, because you know you're too dull to pull it off.

You wont even take the chance.

=====.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 22:47:41 -0000

On Sat, 03 Feb 2001 06:40:08 GMT, Chad Myers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>"J Sloan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> Ayende Rahien wrote:
>>
>> > Unix cost *much* more, and gives *much* less.
>>
>> This is of course completely false.
>
>View the TPC. The numbers speak for themselves.

        "NT can't keep up".

        "Throw a big, complex shared nothing cluster together and you
        might be able to replace 1 Unix or AS/400 box".

[deletia]

--

        Freedom != Anarchy.

          Some must be "opressed" in order for their
        actions not to oppress the rest of us.

                                                               / | \

------------------------------

From: Peter Hayes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 22:56:40 +0000

On Mon, 5 Feb 2001 08:57:21 +0200, "Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> "." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> take
> > >
> > > You want to talk about 9x and control? LOL.
> >
> > Yep.  I'm not talking about the control you need in a work environment,
> > control over security - I knew MS was pretty short on that when I first
> > installed Win98.
> >
> > I'm talking about freedom and control over my own personal machine.  I
> > can do almost anything I damn well please under 98, including useful
> > tasks like creating a bootdisk (fuck you, WinME).  Win98 almost never
> > pops up and says "You cannot do this", and if it does, I can bloody well
> > get to DOS and do it anyway.
>
> Well, I suggest that you would wait and get Whistler when it's out.
> Really cool OS, and none of the you-are-too-stupid-to-use-this nonesense
> from ME.

Touch of deja-vu here.

"Get Win95, it'll fix all the problems of Win3.x  Really cool OS".

"Get Win98, it'll fix all the problems of Win95", or  "Get WinNT3.x, it'll
fix all the problems of Win95. Really cool OS".

"Get WinME, it'll fix all the problems of Win98. Really cool OS".

"Get WinNT4, it'll fix all the problems of Win95/98. Really cool OS".

"Get Win2k, it'll fix all the problems of Win95/98/NT4. Really cool OS".

"Get Whistler, it'll fix all the problems of Win95/98/ME/NT4/Win2k. Really
cool OS".

Almost as bad as the journalist who wrote in UK's PC-Pro that if you tried
to jump straight from NT4 to Whistler you should be taken out and shot -
how dare you try avoiding a round of the Microsoft tax.

Sheesh. Will these people never learn? Probably not, since most of them
depend on Microsoft IT for their daily crust, and without the eternal
Microsoft upgrade cycle they'd be out of a job.

If nothing "better" than NT4 and '98 had never came along, I'd doubt if
so-called "productivity" would be noticeably affected, certainly not to the
extent expected for your cash investment.

E-mail is the biggest white collar productivity killer, closely followed by
unnecessary internet access.

> And, anyway, rumor says that Whistler personal will be only 50$ - 90$
> (For comparison, ME (and 2K upgrade) is  $169.99 )

I got WinME for £30, about the same as RedHat, Mandrake or SuSE. There's no
way I'd pay $169.99, not on this earth.

Peter
--

In the 19th century surveyors measured the height of Everest
from 500 miles away in India.

------------------------------

From: Nigel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: win2k -> linux
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2001 00:09:03 +0000

> is there something fundamentally different between the NT4 and Win2k
> loader? or am i missing something here?

There are no differences between NT and Win2k bootloader as
far as getting linux to boot is concerned (I have 2 machines at
work which use the bootloader to run linux - 1 is NT4 and 1
is Win2k).

The basic procedure is to add a LILO bootsector to the Linux ext2
(or reiserfs) partition (instructions for this should be included in your
distro instructions) and then use the 'dd' command to copy the
bootsector to a file on the NT filesystem.

For example if Linux is on partition /dev/hda2 then the command to put
the bootsector into a file on a floppy disk would be:-

dd if=/dev/hda2 of=/mnt/floppy/linuxboot bs=512 count=1

then reboot into NT/Win2k and copy the file linuxboot from the
floppy to drive C: and add the following line to C:\Boot.ini

C:\Linboot = 'Linux'

then next time machine is rebooted you should get a 'Linux' option
on the boot menu which displays LILO prompt and boots linux.

If your C: drive is on a Fat partition then you can skip the floppy
copying step and dd the bootsector directly onto the C: drive as
this is only needed for NTFS partitions as most linux distro's can
only mount NTFS as read only.

------------------------------

From: Peter Hayes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 23:07:24 +0000

On Mon, 5 Feb 2001 09:07:47 +0800, "nuxx" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> It's certainly going to be an interesting few years with regards to the
> success of open source.  If better products are the result, everyone wins.

Except those point and click Microserfs who have nailed their career to the
success of the eternal Microsoft upgrade cycle.

Peter

From: Nigel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2001 00:20:19 +0000

> your layout ? I know, Excel and Word are applications and not the OS, but
> they are as unreliable as W3.1*/95/98/ME.

I think its laughable the way that when a linux user mentions a bug in Word
or excel then the wintrolls say it's only an application and not the
operating system yet when they have problems with Staroffice or Netscrape
under Linux then they blame the operating system - If you don't like
Staroffice then use Koffice / Applixware office and if you don't like
netscape then use Konqueror, opera, mozilla or one of the many others (even
word / excel can run on linux under current versions of wine - like to see
windows users run koffice).

------------------------------

From: David Dorward <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2001 23:17:46 +0000

Edward Rosten wrote:

> Has anyone ever noticed how the wintrolls seem to have absoloutely vast
> software libraries in their homes? Only the other day, flatfish claimes
> to have 4 encyclopedias. Who the hell needs 4 encyclopedias?

I have about a dozen, PC Plus seem to give one away every other month at
the moment.

> Also the range of problems the trolls have is, quite frankly, vast.
> What's odd about these problems is that they rarely seem to make it on to
> he serious news groups, and no one else ever seems to suffer from them.

I don't monitor the serious newsgroups, they aren't as much fun <g>

------------------------------

From: Nigel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2001 00:22:56 +0000

> electronic banking software on my Mac for years now. Last month though,
> I discovered that my Mac client is no longer supported by my bank. Since

Sad that your bank now only supports the most hacked and virus riddled
operating system - try telling them you will change banks if they don't
support secure operating systems.

------------------------------

From: Peter Hayes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 23:28:04 +0000

On Sun, 04 Feb 2001 00:32:17 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The
Ghost In The Machine) wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Aaron R. Kulkis
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> >Microsoft--relearning mid-20th centuryt technology...in  the 21st.
>
> Not only that, but making it "usable" for the masses by slapping
> on silly icons, pulldown menus that slowly vanish beautifully
> and/or animate from the pointer as the user selects a scascade item,
> windows with scrollbars, gadgets, rollover labels that change
> color as the mouse rolls over them (wow, psycho, man),

Think yourself lucky you don't get a rendition of the Hallelujah Chorus or
the Microsoft Wav...

> and built-in
> richly-formatted help text files that tell one the bit that he
> knew already ("yes, I KNOW that's a toggle button with a label,
> you moronic program!").

Click on "+" in Windows Explorer to see a cdrom directory list. By the time
the disk spins up and produces its contents, WE decides to close the list,
so you've to click "+" again. Or displays the directory list in the right
hand pane but needs to read the disk again to display it in the left hand
pane. Geez, just how stupid can an application get? Must be the special
training they get.

Best one I got was "Put Windows NT Workstation CD into Drive A: and Click
OK"

Peter

From: "Sg,Poyzer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.ms-windows,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 23:28:20 GMT

One of the main reasons I browse the news groups is to learn new insults!!
Thanks

news:95nago$605$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Nigel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2001 00:42:13 +0000

> If you ever find out, could you email me (I haev a 5.25" disk drive, but
> can't read my old BBC floppies)?

Unfortunately the Single density floppy disks used by the BBC micro DFS
filesystem cannot be read by a standard PC drive controller - they can read
disks made using the double density ADFS filesystem (and some double
density versions of DFS made by companies such as watford electronics).

Unless the data on the disks is personal data rather than commercial
software it's not worth the effort anyway as most (maybe all) BBC games and
applications can be found on the internet anyway.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Hauck)
Subject: Re: The 130MByte text file
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 23:43:43 GMT

On Mon, 05 Feb 2001 13:01:42 GMT, Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>  b o b h {at} h a u c k s {dot} o r g wrote:
>
>> ICMP responses are handled inside the kernel.
>
>Is that at a higher priority - if so, it would explain why I saw
>response to ping but nowt else.

Yes, hardware interrupts, including from the ethernet and scheduler
tick, do take priority.  The kernel will respond to a ping even when
everything else is stopped.

>> Windows by default uses a swap _file_, while Linux uses a _partition_.

>Yes I know. Windows has to allocate the space for the page file. If it's
>fragmented, oh hell. I thought Linux could do this too - or does it
>still need space allocated up front?

Linux installs typically use a dedicated partition by default because it
is more efficient, but you can use regular files too.  They can even be
added and removed while the system is running, but they won't grow
automatically.

>> Anyway, if Linux runs out of swap, it gets very slow.  This is a known
>> weakness of the VM system.

> So there is something in Windows that is an improvement over Linux.

Perhaps, although you might need to qualify which "Windows" you mean.
Win9x isn't known for it's great VM implementation (NT isn't either, but
it is a lot better by all accounts).  What does Windows do when it runs
out of VM?  I haven't tried that test recently.  It used to be that the
system would hang, or at least appear to be hung, in exactly the way you
are describing.

Maybe I can in the morning when I get to work, assuming we don't get
snowed in tonight.  The NT4 box on my desk has a fixed-size swap file
(for efficiency), so it should be easy to use it all up and see what
happens.

Having growable swap files is not a clear improvement in all cases,
although it might be in the particular one you were testing.

--
 -| Bob Hauck
 -| To Whom You Are Speaking

------------------------------

From: Chris Ahlstrom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: You're not just Whistler, XP!
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 23:44:13 GMT

Peter Hayes wrote:

> "Get Whistler, it'll fix all the problems of Win95/98/ME/NT4/Win2k. Really
> cool OS".
>
> > And, anyway, rumor says that Whistler personal will be only 50$ - 90$
> > (For comparison, ME (and 2K upgrade) is  $169.99 )

Man, Microsoft must be running out of creativity.  They have given the
name "Windows XP" to Whistler, and "Office XP" to Office.  Read here
what XP means:

http://computerworld.com/cwi/story/0%2C1199%2CNAV47_STO57388_NLTam%2C00.html

Sounds like the name of Speed Racer's new vehicle.

Chris

--
This Windows OS is ghak!  I need dual Pentium
processors to do battle with this code!!!

------------------------------

From: Nigel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: usability?
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2001 00:49:39 +0000

> Yea, so? Most people under the age of 30 are children. The wonderful irony
> is that you won't understand until you are well over 30.

You only have to read a few posts from wintrolls to realise this.

------------------------------

From: "Quantum Leaper" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Whistler predictions...
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 23:49:27 GMT

> Tim Smith wrote:
> >
> > Charlie Ebert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > >When whistler finally hit's market I predict the following.
> >
> > The more interesting question is which will be first?  Microsoft
> > releasing Whistler or you making a post that is not completely stupid?
> > I think Microsoft will win that one.  Heck, I think Netscape will make a
> > decent browser first!
> >

> How much did Bill Gates pay you to write that?

Netscape hasn't had a decent browser since 2.02!   Atleast IE works most of
the time,  Netscape crashes when you click on a link....   The Linux version
of Netscape is much better either...

------------------------------

From: Chris Ahlstrom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 23:50:51 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> On Sat, 03 Feb 2001 06:40:08 GMT, Chad Myers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >> This is of course completely false.
> >
> >View the TPC. The numbers speak for themselves.
>
>         "NT can't keep up".
>
>         "Throw a big, complex shared nothing cluster together and you
>         might be able to replace 1 Unix or AS/400 box".

Go to this page:

        http://www.tpc.org/New_Result/TPCC_Results.html

First select all results:  You see nothing but Windows systems.
Then go back and select clustered results:  You see the same Windows systems.
Finally, go back and select non-clustered results:  You see all UNIX systems.

I'm telling you, you master Baye's Theorem, and you'll never be bullshat
by some damned statistician again.

Chris

From: Chris Ahlstrom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Subject: Re: New Microsoft Ad :-)
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2001 00:04:51 GMT

Tom Wilson wrote:

> "T. Max Devlin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Said Aaron R. Kulkis in alt.destroy.microsoft on Wed, 31 Jan 2001
> > 16:59:33 -0500;

> features

> 95, and
> > >
> > >"I'm getting better!"
> >
> > "I'm not dead yet!"
>
> Quiet! You'll be stone dead in a moment...

"I feel happy!  I feel happy!"