From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine)
Subject: Re: bank switches from using NT 4
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 16:39:02 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, GreyCloud
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote
on Thu, 26 Apr 2001 23:49:11 -0700
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>Chad Myers wrote:
>>
>> "Mart van de Wege" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>> > Ok,
>> >
>> > 1. Jon didn't qualify how many servers he had in his setup, so I
>> > obviously can't comment on that, and neither can you, unless you *are*
>> > Jon Johansen.
>> > 2. 1-2 years? FYI Windows 2000 was introduced in February 2000. I don't
>> > know if Datacenter Server was available right from the start but given
>> > that it was, that's 1 year and 2 months, nowhere *near* 2 years. I remain
>> > steadfastly convinced that 1 year is not a good sample size for server
>> > reliability. Now come back when you've had your cluster up and running
>> > for 5 years.
>> > 3. The most damaging of all: it takes a cluster of 1000's of machines to
>> > get 5 9's??!!!
>>
>> I don't know who would set up a cluster of 1000's of boxes for anything
>> other than calculating distances in space or something.
>>
>> Win2K can do in a fraction what an IBM or Sun big-iron box can do, and
>> for a fraction of the cost:
>>
>> www.tpc.org
>>
>> -c
>
>IBM S/390 guarantees nocrash and uptime period of 35 years.  Can MS meet
>or exceed this?

This looks like it might be 11 9's.... :-)
(assuming a reboot cycle of 2 minutes)

35*365.2425*86400=1,104,493,320.0000

(Is a system better if it has half as many 9's but over
twice as many users?  :-) )

[.sigsnip]

                    Use the source, Luke.

------------------------------

From: Tuomo Takkula <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Unwelcome changes in Linux advocacy.
Date: 27 Apr 2001 18:51:19 +0200

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Neary) writes:

        Hi.

> Aaron R. Kulkis wrote:
> >When thieves were put in stocks in the public square, was that a sign
> >that
> >
> >a) the citizenry had run out of rational arguments against theft
> >or
> >B) the citiznery had no tolerance for thieves.
>
> You're equating using windows with being a thief. Possibly a
> better comparison might be to describe windows advocates as victims
> of the Helsinki syndrome - they have been held hostage for so

hmmm, (pedant point: you mean the Stockholm syndrome: German embassy
raided by RAF terrorists and keeping staff as hostages for a couple of
days?

> long by MS that they now feel an empathy with them. the only way
> to help these guys out is to show them the error of their ways -
> to nurse them out of their shells and show them that there is a
> better way.

        Best regards
        Tuomo

___
   "Microsoft OS's are good because they encourage Intel to produce
    faster CPUs for the rest of us to run Unix on."
                                                         George Dau

alt.society.liberalism,misc.survivalism,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,soc.singles
From: Mathew <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Communism
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2001 02:58:35 +1000

On Wed, 25 Apr 2001, Aaron R. Kulkis wrote:

> theRadical wrote:

> > >Yes, I realize that you have an excuse.  You always have SOME excuse
> > >for just NOT "answering the damn question" when you bluff has been
> > >called.
> >
> > next, kulkis will drop the thread and pretend the conversation never
> > happened.
>
> You lose
>
> >  he is nothing than a tired little punk who lies and tries
> > to intimidate.
>
> No, I'm an old war vet.

29 is an old war vet?

------------------------------

From: Peter =?ISO-8859-1?Q?K=F6hlmann?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why do Win advocates suck?  Part 1
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 17:13:07 +0200

Edward Rosten wrote:

>> Can you point me to the vendor who will sell me LCDīs which manage
>> 1800x1350 *each* without costing more than 4000$ each?
>   ^^^^^^^^^
>
> Yowee!
>

> Do you have any eyes left?
>

> -Ed

My eyes are quiet good, thank you.
But I run that resolution on 24" monitors. They are already expensive
enough, but LCDīs with anything like that are about $5000 each in germany,
what I think is a little too much.

Still Todd thinks his setup would somehow impress.
In reality itīs just a toy, befiiting his OS.
Dual Head, yeah. He probably did not know that this works quite well in
linux.

Peter

--
Linux is like a Wig-Wam: No Gates, No Windows, Apache inside

------------------------------

From: "Laura M. Hagan" <doesn'[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: soc.singles,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,soc.men
Subject: Re: Women's rights and responsibilities.
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 08:43:22 -0700

Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > The issue is not the presumption, but rather the right of the alleged
> > father to dispute the presumption via a DNA test.
> >
> > Mr. Kulkis has claimed that no state allows that without the mother's
> > permission.  I do not believe him.
>
> Ohio is currently DEBATING whether the mother should be allowed to
> block the gathering of such evidence....and this is considered to
> be *EXTREMELY* radical, reactionary, and anti-women.
>
> No other state is even discussing it.

    Well, one state isn't discussing it because it's already the law, and
has been for some time:
    Cal. Family Code 7551:
    "In a civil action or proceeding in which paternity is a relevant fact,
the court may upon its own initiative or upon suggestion made by or
on behalf of any person who is involved, and shall upon motion of
any party to the action or proceeding made at a time so as not to
delay the roceedings unduly, order the mother, child, and alleged
father to submit to genetic tests.  If a party refuses to submit to the
tests, the court may resolve the question of paternity against that
party or enforce its order if the rights of others and the interests of
justice so require.  A party's refusal to submit to the tests is admissible
in evidence in any proceeding to determine paternity.  For the purposes
of this chapter, "genetic tests" means any genetic test that is generally
acknowledged as reliable by accreditation bodies designated by the
United States Secretary of Health and Human Services."

> Hope that helps, fascist prick.

    My!  Does your ass always use such language when it's the
one doing the talking?

------------------------------

From: "jet" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: e: Feminism ==> subjugation of males
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 10:22:18 -0700

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>    Brent> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>    >>
>    >> >>>>> Aaron R Kulkis writes:
>    >>
>    Aaron> The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
>    >>
>    >> >> >>and that that somehow prevented young girls from entering
>    >> >> >> into Math/Science.
>    >>
>    >> >> >Barbie dolls didn't stop me.
>    >>
>    >> >> Personally, I wonder who the dumbass was who programmed in the
>    >> >> "Math is haaaaaaard" into them at one point.
>    >>
>    Aaron> A realist.
>    >>
>    >> Math is not harder than any other topic.  That it is
>    >> is a self perpetuating myth.  Thankfully for my daughters,
>    >> my wife majored in math and is an actuary.
>    >>
>    >> Both daughters love math and do great at it.  My twelve year
>    >> old wants to solve the Twin Prime Conjecture (she also wants
>    >> to cure cancer using molecular biology, so we will see where
>    >> she ends up).
>
>    Brent> People who brag about their kids irritate me.
>
> I do not think she will solve the twin prime conjecture.  My
> main point was as she is not frighten of math, she does well
> at it.

Good on her!

Who likes it when people brag about their kids, it's a lot better than when
they brag about their cars.

------------------------------

From: "jet" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Feminism ==> subjugation of males
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 10:23:42 -0700

You've got MALE.. sex organs! <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Again, it is a mystery as to why you'd be so fearful of the little
> girlies, with all that arsenal..

I know!

Maybe he's worried they have bio weapons.

------------------------------

From: "jet" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Feminism ==> subjugation of males
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 10:27:57 -0700

You've got MALE.. sex organs! <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> I *must* be a "pussy-whipped piece of shit" because I'm not a little
> right wing macho turd who can't get laid..

Now that's not fair. Aaron can get laid. Of course, he had to buy a mail
order bride...

Can you imagine how much Russia must suck, if you are willing to do the
nasty with Aaron to get out of there!?

From: Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Pete Goodwin is in good company
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 17:16:45 GMT

Terry Porter wrote:

>>> What FUD is that Terry?
> Pete .... come on mate, I was drinking coffee and it could be all over my
> screen  ...

C'mon Terry, put up, or shut up. Where's the FUD I'm supposed to have
posted?

>>> Please point out ANY posts I've made that are (i) untrue (ii) lies (iii)
>>>  etc. You'll have a hard time.
> The cleverest lie of all, is one that contains some truth.

How about some _evidence_?

> Pete also claims that he has had no success doing things that most of us
> here, found to be no brainers, things that worked first time.

Like what Terry? Got any examples?

--
Pete

------------------------------

From: Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 17:16:49 GMT

Edward Rosten wrote:

> You claimed that the GIMP problem was a Linux problem. Whilst not a lie,
> it was definitely an untruth, because it is simply incorrect.

Still no cigar. I stated that Mandrake installed a printer and that The
Gimp ignored it.

--
Pete

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine)
Subject: Re: Blame it all on Microsoft
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 17:25:08 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, GreyCloud
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote
on Thu, 26 Apr 2001 18:41:11 -0700
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>Icarus wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, 25 Apr 2001 12:10:18 -0400, "Aaron R. Kulkis"
>> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>> [...]
>> >
>> >Can they robuset enough to continue operating during
>> >a nuclear war, like TCP/IP?
>>
>> If I'm parsing this sentence corectly, AFAIK that capability hasn't
>> yet been tested.  As the QA guy at a previous job stated, "If it
>> hasn't been tested, it doesn't work.
>>

>It works.  Already been tested.

I'm glad they didn't test it the hard way, then. :-)  I'd hate to glow
in the dark...or did they route a copper wire near a Nevada testing range
and have packets flying through it when somebody pushed the button? :-)

[.sigsnip]

                    This is a pithy statement.  Please watch where you pith.

------------------------------

From: Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Another Windows pc gets Linux
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 17:24:38 GMT

Terry Porter wrote:

> Problem #1 no network neighbourhood icon. Although I set up Samba easily
> on my Linux box, her pc lacked the above NN facility. Could I restore it
> ... nope. Tweakui fails to work, Windows help is non existant. I have no
> interest in buying 'secrets of the windows registry' so I can manipulate a
> terse, binary database, that will render her machine unusable should I
> screw up the editing.

I have a SAMBA server at work and Windows PC's that connect to it. It
wasn't hard to make Windows see the Samba server - once you modify LMHOSTS
and point the names at the SAMBA box.

> Problem #2 No decent FTP facility on her machine, so I installed a time
> limited Windows FTP 'shareware' programe, good for 10 days!
> Using that ftp application I easily uploaded all her files to my Linux FTP
> server, and then burnt all 250 megabytes onto a CD.

There's a command line ftp in Windows that works just fine. There's no FTP
server though. There used to be one in various older incarnations of
Personal Web server. For some reason, Microsoft has removed it.

> Windows98 GUI   -    22 to choose from, probably IceWm

Hmmm... not of them, not even KDE or GNOME are as functional as Windows GUI.

> Windows filemgr -    XWinCommander

If konqueror is an example of file manager's it's nothing to write home
about.

> Word            -    Lyx, Ted, Abiword

Word is way ahead compared to Lyx or AbiWord (which was alpha-test last
time I looked). However it depends what you want to do, doesn't it? Word
seems to start creaking when you get beyond the simple stuff.

> mIRC            -    Xchat

There's nothing Microsoft Comic Chat is there?

> Outhouse        -    Exmh

Never heard of Outhouse.

> ICQ             -    Licq

ICQ on Windows is far, far better than LICQ.

> Winamp          -    Winamp,Xmms

Winamp, MusicMatch and whole army of players on Windows.

> nothing         -    Gftp

8). How about 'ftp' or did you miss that on Windows?

> nothing         -    Gimp

Paint Shop Pro.

> nothing         -    Wordnet

What's wordnet?

> nothing         -    Gcc for compiling new apps etc

What's a writer using a compiler for?

> Another handy feature will be the Remote GUI,that Linux has, and on our
> in house network, it means she can run apps from my box, even if her pc
> has different libaries etc, and the app runs as tho its on her pc!

One advantage.

--
Pete

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: soc.singles,soc.support.fat-acceptance,alt.fan.jackie-tokeman
Subject: Re: poolside and life is Good :)
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 13:47:29 -0400

Brock Hannibal wrote:

> Jim Ledford wrote:
>
> > Nomen Nescio wrote:
> >

> >> ledford:

> >> yeah, my cd player is busted
> >>                         jackie 'anakin' tokeman
> >>
> >> why bog why?
> >

> > time to upgrade, think MP3 player.
> >
> > Jim Ledford

In a properly designed and programmed Operating system, the following
disaster would never have occurred.

> The software that came with the .mp3 player(Nomad) that I just
> bought for my son's birthday caused bad shit to happen to fucking
> Windows 98 on my home machine. I had clean the hard disk and install
> Windows ME and a new version of Netscape to cure all the ills.

Behold, the consumer friendliness of Windows

Just ask jackie.

> --
> Brock
>
> "Put a $20 gold piece on my watch chain so the boys'll know I died
> standin' pat"

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kaz Kylheku)
Subject: Re: Bye all. Wow the Linux scene has changed.
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 17:56:45 GMT

On Tue, 24 Apr 2001 19:12:57 +0100, Hullo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I'm hiring an MS head rather than a Linux guru as at least they show less
>capacity for being personally obnoxious.

Well, it takes a personality, if a bad one, to be *personally* obnoxious. :)

>Maybe I'll see some of you via your CVs, but don't wait for an interview.
>You [Linux luzers] all begin your code with void main (void) don't you? (can you even

Actually this lacklustre practice is littered throughout the examples in MSDN.
Modern version of the GNU compiler warn when main() is declared to return
something other than int: ``warning: return type of `main' is not `int'''.

On the other hand, the Microsoft C++ compiler actually rewrites your return
value to void even if it already is the correct int! This happens if the
program's main doesn't have a return statement at the end (because, for
instance, it calls exit() instead).

So it's perfectly clear which culture has more of a clue in this matter.

------------------------------

From: "Mart van de Wege" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 20:01:27 +0200

In article <lP5G6.172727$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Chad Myers"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I maintained that I was not an expert, nor claimed to be. I was merely
> raising questions about what EXPERTS and people who had ORIGINALLY
> worked on the product said about it's problems.
>
> How you mistook that for pretense I'll never figure out...
>
> Whereas this guy was all
> lofty-high-and-mighty-big-bad-200-years-of-Unix-experience.
>
> If you look up pretense in the dictionary, there's a picture of this
> guy's ass.

Chad m'boy,

Before you start berating others on their reading skills, I suggest you
take a remedial course at your nearest elementary school. You seem to
need it, as I quite obviously stated that I am no expert on advanced
servers. Look it up, it's only a few posts up. I trust you know how to
use a newsreader?
All I did was point something out that anyone with a basic high school
math education can see: statistics are meaningless when your sample size
is too small. If you confuse a basic knowledge of statistics with
arrogance, then I must say that you are a greater ass than I thought.

HTH, HAND,

Mart
--
Write in C, write in C,
Write in C, yeah, write in C.

------------------------------

From: "Kelsey Bjarnason" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.society.liberalism,misc.survivalism,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,soc.singles
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 18:07:33 GMT

[snips]

> We're supposed to trust the judgement of a person who can't
> even communicate in now, eh?

"communicate in now"?

> If you can't write the language clearly, then why should we believe
> that you can comprehend it?

Indeed; do you comprehend it?