Linux-Advocacy Digest #994, Volume #25            Thu, 6 Apr 00 23:13:04 EDT

Contents:
  Re: RH linux stable?? (Opinionated)
  Re: Sorry Microsoft, Facts Mean More Than Money On The Net (was: benchmark for speed
in linux / windows (Jim Richardson)
  Re: You anti-Microsoft types just don't get it, do you? (Terry Porter)
  Re: The Failure of Microsoft Propaganda -was- So where are the MS supporters.
(Damien)
  Re: You anti-Microsoft types just don't get it, do you? (Terry Porter)
  Re: Sorry Microsoft, Facts Mean More Than Money On The Net (was: benchmark for speed
in linux / windows (Jim Richardson)
  Re: BOOKS ON LINUX ? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Linux stocks soar in aftermarket trading ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: You anti-Microsoft types just don't get it, do you? (Damien)
  Re: The Failure of Microsoft Propaganda -was- So where are the MS supporters.
(Damien)
  Re: Windows 2000 has "issues" ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: You anti-Microsoft types just don't get it, do you? ("Leonard F. Agius")
  Re: Linux mail/news application questions (Michael Powe)
  Re: The Failure of Microsoft Propaganda -was- So where are the MS supporters.
("Otto")
  Re: Microsoft NOT a monopoly ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: The Failure of Microsoft Propaganda -was- So where are the MS supporters.
("Otto")
  Re: Linux stocks soar in aftermarket trading (Andrew)

From: Opinionated <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: RH linux stable??
Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2000 20:46:21 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Don't think so.  Last night I sat down to do my taxes, and since I
> don't have MS Excel, I said why don't I use the spreadsheet program on
> RH..  Well, halfway into the fray, the spreadsheet locks up and I lost
> all my work!  (yeah, I know, back up..).
>
> Sure, the kernel might be stable and all that, but the graphical tools
> are as immature as Win95 or worse.  The GUI side of Linux still has a
> ways to grow.
>
> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Which spreadsheet program running on Linux was it?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jim Richardson)
Subject: Re: Sorry Microsoft, Facts Mean More Than Money On The Net (was: benchmark
for speed in linux / windows
Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2000 01:47:50 GMT

On Thu, 06 Apr 2000 16:47:30 GMT,
 [EMAIL PROTECTED], in the persona of <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
 brought forth the following words...:

>On Thu, 06 Apr 2000 03:17:49 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jim Richardson)
>wrote:
>

>>I need to find the last executable file writen or modified by a particular
>>user, after a particular date, how do I do this with windows find?
>
>Ask him where he stored it.
>It will probably take less time than typing in the command needed to
>do it without syntax errors.

and if "he" in question was a cracker, who got in through poor password
security of the user in question, asking him might be a little tough.

<snip video of Jerry Springer being eaten by a bear>

>>>This is over a year or so. I get a lot of my CD's for free.
>>>

>>then you paid for the rest? why?
>
>When you buy in bulk it's hard to tell the free ones from the ones you
>buy.

This makes no sense to me, what do you mean?

<snip more agreement that judging all, by the actions of one, is foolish.>

--
Jim Richardson
        Anarchist, pagan and proud of it

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry Porter)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,alt.destroy.microsoft
Subject: Re: You anti-Microsoft types just don't get it, do you?
Date: 7 Apr 2000 09:53:30 +0800

On Thu, 06 Apr 2000 22:19:45 GMT,
 [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>On Thu, 06 Apr 2000 21:34:05 GMT, Johan Kullstam
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>>
>>> And takes a degree in Emacs speak to run.
>>
>>say what?  emacs responds to your arrow keys.  emacs
>>responds to mouse.  emacs has pull-down menus and scroll-bars.  all of
>>this is enabled by default -- right out of the box.
>
>As a programmers editor Emacs is fine. To suggest it as a
>Newsreader/mail client for a newbie is idiotic.
You're so wrong its sickening Steve.
Gnus is a work of art, and total GUI, its the friendiest thing around.

Please do try and get some experience sometime soon ?

>>if you can use windows notepad, you can use emacs.
>
>You can't use Notepad as a newsreader as far as I know :)
Too true, Notepad like Windows is lacklustre and brain dead.

>>you mentioned slrn.  gnus works a lot like slrn because *slrn
>>keybinding are based on gnus*.  you can look it up.
>
>Why bother? The home user can have Outlook or Netscape or Agent up and
>running long before he figures out Emacs, for new and Mail that is.
Bullshit.

Please see my post regarding the difficulty a Windows user had installing
and configuring Free_Agent.

Steve is full of it once again.

>>you, in no way, *have* to use the emacs complex keybindings.
>>does the *mere* *presense* of escape-meta-alt-control-shift
>>key terrify you to such a degree that you cannot continue?
>
>No I prefer to read News/mail and not play around with it on a bit by
>bit basis.
Then you need Gnus, or Slrn, not the toy you use.
Steve has no "score" files, can you believe that!

>>perhaps you should seek help to fight this irrational phobia.
>>fortunately, emacs can provide!  M-x doctor.  ;-)
>
>Yikes! Another pill.. I take so many already :)
Hahahahahah

--
Kind Regards
Terry

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Damien)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,alt.destroy.microsoft
Subject: Re: The Failure of Microsoft Propaganda -was- So where are the MS supporters.
Date: 07 Apr 2000 01:54:58 GMT

On Thu, 06 Apr 2000 21:10:54 GMT, in alt.destroy.microsoft,
fmc <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

| "Damien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
| news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
| > On Thu, 06 Apr 2000 17:45:06 GMT, in alt.destroy.microsoft,
| > fmc <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
| > |
| > | "Damien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
| > | news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
| > | > |

| > | happen
| > | anyone
| > | without

| what
| > | > |
| only

| > |
| > | They infringed on my rights by using a program that I own the rights,
| > | without first getting my permission (or paying me if that's one of my
| > | requirements).  You broke the law by making an illegal copy and
| distributing
| > | it.  RS thinks it's OK to do that, but the laws are on my side.
| >
| > They used something that I provided them.  You are out of the loop.
| > Neither you nor any of your belongings are involved.  How are your
| > rights affected?
|
| If I  bought a laptop from a pawnshop, and you later found out that it was
| the one that had been stolen from you, would you expect to get it back, or
| are you "out of the loop" because neither I nor the dealer had anything to
| do with the theft?

That analogy is irrelevant.  The laptop is your property.  In my
original analogy, the CD's are my property.  I am the rightful owner.
Hence I should have complete control over what I do with them.  Do you
dispute that?

| > The law is also irrelevant here since you said  earlier that your rights
| to your intellectual "property" exist without
| > government recognition.
|
| That's a ridculous statement, considering it comes from someone associated
| with MIT .  I said my rights were not created by the government.  That
| doesn't means the government doesn't recognize them or can't act to protect
| them.  They do that routinely.

It's not a ridiculous statement.  You said you disagree with RMS and
supported that with the fact that the law was on your side.  I pointed
out where you said earlier (look up a few paragraphs) that the
government does not decide what rights you have.  If that is so, then
you need to support your claim that you have the right to limit what I
do with my property with more then the fact that the law agrees with
you.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry Porter)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,alt.destroy.microsoft
Date: 7 Apr 2000 09:55:55 +0800

On Thu, 06 Apr 2000 22:45:15 GMT,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Smoking is detrimental to your health.
>
>Kind of like Linux.
>
>Steve
Hahahahahahahahhhahahahahah
gack, choke spit, turn blue, gasp ..... oh that was good!

--
Kind Regards
Terry

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jim Richardson)
for speed in linux / windows
Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2000 01:55:21 GMT

On Thu, 6 Apr 2000 18:30:55 -0500,
 Erik Funkenbusch, in the persona of <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
 brought forth the following words...:

>Jim Richardson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> Finally! a reason instead of petulance,  huzzah!
>>
>> I need to find the last executable file writen or modified by a particular
>> user, after a particular date, how do I do this with windows find?
>
>How do you do it with Linux's find?  Linux doesn't track who modified a
>file, only who owns it.  If the file was modified by someone in the group
>that's accessible to it, you won't know who modified it unless you are using
>auditing.

In the case of Redhat at least, the user/group defaults for files created by
the user, is the same, that is, $USER and a group called $USER which has only
that user as a member, Allthough you could add more I suppose. But a good call
none-the-less.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: BOOKS ON LINUX ?
Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2000 01:52:44 GMT

In article <8ciap4$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  Johannes Nix <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Steve) writes:
> I think that the problem with books about Linux is that the subject is
> changing far to fast for most books being useful for more than one or
> two years.  <snippage>

Well, in that case any book on Windows is only good for about
forty-eight hours.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy
Subject: Re: Linux stocks soar in aftermarket trading
Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2000 01:54:34 GMT

HEADLINES!

Microsoft stocks plummet!  Investors jumping out of Windows!

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Damien)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,alt.destroy.microsoft
Date: 07 Apr 2000 02:08:03 GMT

On Thu, 06 Apr 2000 22:19:45 GMT, in alt.destroy.microsoft,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
| On Thu, 06 Apr 2000 21:34:05 GMT, Johan Kullstam
| <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
|
| >[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
| >
| >> And takes a degree in Emacs speak to run.
| >
| >say what?  emacs responds to your arrow keys.  emacs
| >responds to mouse.  emacs has pull-down menus and scroll-bars.  all of
| >this is enabled by default -- right out of the box.
|
| As a programmers editor Emacs is fine. To suggest it as a
| Newsreader/mail client for a newbie is idiotic.

A a general purpose text editor Emacs is great.  As a text editor for
people who edit a lot of text it's a gift from $DEITY.  As all
all-purpose tool, it's truly amazing.  I use it as a word processor a
lot.  There are other prettier-looking text editors and new readers
and mail clients and I would probably recommend those to newbies.

| >if you can use windows notepad, you can use emacs.
|
| You can't use Notepad as a newsreader as far as I know :)

Notepad if very limited.  It has the same feature set as DOS edit from
what I can tell.  But it's a lot prettier to lock at.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Damien)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,alt.destroy.microsoft
Date: 07 Apr 2000 02:09:49 GMT

On Fri, 07 Apr 2000 00:57:07 GMT, in alt.destroy.microsoft,
Christopher Browne <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
| Centuries ago, Nostradamus foresaw a time when
| [EMAIL PROTECTED] would say:

| Ah, but the question is whether the cause for the BSODs is:
|
| a) The nastiness of the applications ("Often true")
| b) The nastiness of the OS underneath ("Also often true")
|
| It is not terribly attractive to run stuff that may just BSOD because
| it's flakey; it is, however, possible that apps could run more cleanly
| atop WINE than they would atop "real Windows."
|
| I can't speak for Quicken's "level of nastiness;" it is *possible*
| (though merely speculative) that Quicken *might* run more reliably
| atop WINE than atop "real Win32."

Not likely.  But it won't bring down the whole OS under WINE.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy
Subject: Re: Windows 2000 has "issues"
Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2000 01:58:51 GMT

> How shall I say this delicately?  Well,  to borrow Microsoft's own
words,
> Windows 2000 has "issues."  Now,  let's not be judgemental of those
less
> fortunate.  Every OS has emotional needs,  and Windows 2000 is not the
only
> OS with problems "adjusting."  DOS had "issues."  Windows 3.1 had
"issues."
> Windows 98 and Windows CE have "issues."

And so does Linux.  As a matter of fact, ALL operating systems suck.
Some suck less than others, granted, but they suck nonetheless.

Unfortunately for Microsoft, Win2K sucks galaxies through a soda straw.

From: "Leonard F. Agius" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,alt.destroy.microsoft
Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2000 02:10:51 GMT

Nice Terry. Real logical arguments from the Linux crowd, as usual (NOT). What a bunch
of elitist techies.

From: Michael Powe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.development.apps
Subject: Re: Linux mail/news application questions
Date: 06 Apr 2000 18:43:01 -0700

    Michael> On 05 Apr 2000 21:43:07 -0700, Michael Powe
    Michael> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

    >> Gnus, my present reader, is so much faster and so much more
    >> efficient and so much more configurable -- there's no contest.
    >> It works the way I want it to.

    >> I think what I most dislike about GUI readers is the amount of
    >> screen space wasted with buttons and bars.  I actually like to
    >> see more than 10 lines of a message at a time.  But, I also
    >> dislike the time wasted by pointing and clicking, too.

        [ ... ]

    Michael>    As far as Gnus being faster, that's possible, I
    Michael> haven't used it, but I suspect a lot of that comes down
    Michael> to your perception of things.  What Agent does is a
    Michael> fairly non-intensive thing most of the time, and I can't
    Michael> ever recall waiting on it.  Of course, I have cable

That's not what I'm talking about.  I'm talking about the ability to
move around quickly within newsgroups and messages, score messages on
the fly, delete unwanted messages, search, &c.  That's not perception,
that's the difference between doing everything in one place (the
keyboard) and having to be constantly mousing, switching to typing,
mousing, switching to typing ... That's time-wasting and inefficient.
Anything you can do in Agent by finding an item in a menu, I can do in
one or two keystrokes.

Some other things I can do: I get newsgroups from three different
servers presented to me in a single buffer, all at the same time.  I
have different "posting styles" (a Gnus term) for different
newsgroups.  That means I can adjust my return address, quoting style,
signature, &c. according to which newsgroup I'm posting into.  GnuPG
support.  I can reformat messages on the fly; when I get one of those
ugly messages with too-long lines that wrap one or two words to the
next line by themselves, -- two keystrokes and they're correctly
wrapped.  And if the rewrapped text is quoted text, the quoting is
preserved.

    Michael>    As far as configurability, I can't imagine what Gnus
    Michael> provides that Agent doesn't.  Everything about Agent is
    Michael> configurable, from the display, to how navigation is
    Michael> handled, to how groups and threads are arranged, etc.
    Michael> And it has one of the most intuitive and configurable
    Michael> filters that I have ever seen.  You can base your filters

Evidently, you haven't seen Gnus.

mp

- --
BOYCOTT AMAZON http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/amazon.html BOYCOTT AMAZON
  "For example, I've always liked PowerPoint, and I've always thought
   that Visual Basic was a good product."  -- Linus Torvalds
Michael Powe                                    Portland, Oregon USA

------------------------------

From: "Otto" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,alt.destroy.microsoft
Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2000 02:28:55 GMT

"Bob Lyday" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Shell wrote:
> > >
> >  Unless of course you believe that Microsoft has been responsible
because
> > more important sites are run on IIS than Apache.
>
> Yeah, IIS is so cool!

The above is the only thing what you've got right :).

> Why are IIS sites always going down,
> Stevie?  Why does it take so long to access one?  What's with
> all the error messages, dude?

Do you actually know what IIS stands for?

> IIS fails under heavy loads = well-known fact.  IIS is a
> gigantic security hole = same.  IIS is unstable = ditto.

That would explain why "only" 20% of the webservers are using it. As Steve
mentioned, only the more important sites use it.

Otto

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Microsoft NOT a monopoly
Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2000 02:17:35 GMT

In article <8cb0ce$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> [root@linux-sucks /root]# rm -f "My Document.doc"
>     Microsoft(R) del(TM) v5.003.001 -
>     part of Microsoft(R) Windows(R) for
>     Linux.
>     Distributed under the GPL (http://bero.exit.de/GPL.shmtl).
>     Redistribution of this product will result in capital punishment.
>     Report any illegal copies to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
>    Deleting the file My Document.doc...
>
>    Are you sure you want to delete the file My Document.doc? [yN] y
>
>    Are you sure you are sure? [yN] y
>
>    Really? [yN] y
>
>    Deleting files can result in loss of stability, and in applications
>    not working correctly anymore. Are you
>    sure you want to do this? [yN] y
>
>    Deleting a file results in a complete loss of warranty of your
>    Microsoft Linux system. Are youaware of this? [yN] y
>
>    Microsoft can not be held responsible for the results of you
>    using Microsoft del on this file. If you agree, type "I AGREE". I
AGREE

>    Deleting files should only done by system administrators or
>    experienced users. To make sure you may do this, enter your
>    MCSE certificate number. 19999-22222-00007
>
>    Verifying...
>
>    Accepted. You may proceed.
>
>    WARNING: The filename "My Document.Doc" contains more than 8
>    characters.
>
>    Rename to My Doc~1.doc? [Yn] y
>
>    ERROR: Could not delete file: File not found.

ROTFLMAO!

You have so accurately portrayed one of my pet peeves with Windoze; the
"are you sure - are you really sure - are you really fscking sure?"
annoying chain of clickety-clicking to complete a simple task.

Reminds me of the explanation I was given at a UNIX class on why the
exclamation point ("!") was sometimes called a "dammit".  When you're
editing a file with vi that doesn't have the write-bits set, vi gives
you this error message that the operation is not permitted because of
the mode bits.  It's easily overridden by appending an exclamation
point, forcing vi to write the file out anyway.  The exit command is
normally "wq" (for write and quit), but when the mode bits are
read-only, the command needed is "wq!", or "write and quit, dammit!"

From: "Otto" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,alt.destroy.microsoft
Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2000 02:35:19 GMT

"George Marengo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On Tue, 4 Apr 2000 21:21:13 -0500, "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>
> >George Marengo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >>
> >> Is that a direct consequence of deregulation, or is that due to  over
> >> taxation?
> >
> >Most of it goes to pay for things like "access charges".  For instance,
you
> >pay money to allow other phone companies to have access to your local
phone
> >companies wires.  Most of the taxes go to paying for regulation bodies.
>
> And further deregulation would bring about more competition, which
> would likely bring about even lower prices.
>
> Do you think competition is a good thing? Do you think MS has
> competition?

> >> If it doesn't need any help, then surely you have an explanation for
> >> the Microsoft "Halloween" document, right?
> >
> >Oh, you mean that memo that was written by ONE PERSON?  You act as if it
was
> >sent out by Bill Gates or some other board memo as company policy.  It
was a
> >proposal written by one person to his superiors.  I could write any
number
> >of such plans, with even worse content and it wouldn't mean a thing
unless
> >it were accepted by my superiors and turned into company policy.  There
is
> >no evidence that this is the case.
>
> Did MS fund a study to show how NT compared to Linux? Did they
> submit TPC benchmarks? What exactly was the point of doing the
> Mindcraft benchmark, not once, but twice?  Yes, we all know that NT
> won the benchmark, but WHY was the benchmark done in the first
> place?

In plain term to shut up all of the Linvocates by proving that they bending
the truth all the time.

> I'd say plenty of evidence exists to show that Linux is getting active
> resistance from MS -- IOW, Linux does NOT bury itself on it's own
> accord.

You haven't been using Linux, have you?

> >It's really hard to tell, since Netcrafts figures count domains and not
> >servers.  Given that most domains are hosted by their ISP's, and run on
> >whatever equipment their ISP has, it seems that very few ever CHOOSE
> >which server to use.  Additionally, since ISP's run mostly on Unix of
some sort,
> >that means that most domains will run on Unix.
>
> I agree, but there are indications that it's making headway into the
> ISP market.

And there has been indication of "no more taxes" and what happened?

Otto

------------------------------

From: Andrew <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy
Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2000 22:42:18 -0400

Joseph wrote:

> Chad Myers wrote:
> >
> > JOOC, is Dell actually preloading Linux? I know they SAID they would, but
> > when I go to their site and configure a new box, I can't seem to find any
> > that have *Linux in their OS drop-down boxes.
>
> That same DELL is the last PC OEM to still kiss Intel's ring finger and
> not ship any AMD CPU systems.  You can't find DELL advertising LINUX but
> their customers demanded LINUX so DELL accomidates them - quitely.

I think it's rather telling, to those on both sides of the fence, that you'll
only find "Linux" in the drop-down menu if you're shopping for a PowerEdge
server. You won't find Win2K Pro on the list if you're shopping for a home PC
(Dimension) either. They only ship it on their corporate models. The home
desktop, for better or worse, belongs to Win98 exclusively, as far as Dell is
concerned. 95, ironically, is only offered on the corporate models.

Andrew