From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: Re: Wy Linux will/is failing on the desktop
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2001 00:27:33 -0000

On Wed, 7 Feb 2001 08:27:01 -0500, MH <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>"Het Studentje" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>
>> > 1. People are just not interested in Linux, and I'm not talking about
>> > IBM I am talking about Joe user who makes up the lions share of the
>> > market.
>
>> > 2. It's all about ease of use, compatibility with the neighbors and
>> > applications and Linux fails on all counts.
>
>> That's the reason I still use MS-Word for documents. But everything else
>like
>> web browsing, mp3's downloading, news groups, e-mail, is all Linux now.
>
>Browsing: Very weak in Linux. Worst browser choices of all PC platforms.

        The only other relevant option is IE and it's not that great.
        It's primarily MS shills that pretend otherwise. Even PC
        magazines don't give that much credit to IE versus Netscape.

[deletia]
>>  > 4. Windows makes things so damm easy that screwing with Linux is just
>> > not worth the time even if one manages to get it working properly.
>
>> So damn easy that there's nothing to configure!
>
>Like most Penguinistas with tunnel vision, you just don't understand the
>market.

        If you want a Dreamcast, buy a Dreamcast.

        Otherwise, a general purpose computer is likely going to be
        too much for you. The fact that there are meanginful choices
        for the end user to make is where the "general purpose" part
        comes from.

        We understand the market fine. You're the one with tunnel
        vision. You're so desperate to turn Microsoft into something
        resembling competent that you will manufacture all sorts of
        post factum arguments.

        Microsoft dominance dates back to DOS, an OS that has more to
        "configure" than any distribution of Linux ever did.

>> Then I hate windows. Why? I liked dos, I always enjoyed configuring files
>and
>> making .bat files to make things easyer. Always trying to make things
>better. I
>> liked dos because I knew what was going on and how I could alter that.
>
>Batch files? Big F'n deal. You can still create batch files in ANY version
>of windows.

        Batch files are relatively limited in functionality. Also, the
        associated applications aren't set up to be exploited by batch
        files. It's not just that Microsoft has a pisspoor command shell.

>Or you can write vbscript and use the OS scripting host. Either way.
>
>> Then Windows came. You don't know what's going on. There's the dark
>registry.
>> Starting up you get "fatal error in registry", whell what now? If Linux
>fails,
>> it tells you what's wrong. You read a book, ask around and you can repair
>the
>> system.
>
>Hey, Clue: Back up your registry. Done deal. All these Linux-Guru's crying
>about this same problem.

        It's a rather critical problem.

>Question: If you're an expert in a UNIX os --which entails reading until
>your eyes bleed. --
>Then how the hell did you *not* learn the basics of system backup and
>restore under windows??

        Except it is not a simple matter to backup and restore a
        windos registry. It is a "special entity" that requires
        special handling. The registry is a poor-mans database
        that is always open and doesn't come with reasonable
        backup and recovery tools. (like a real database would)

        We just got tired of the registry being a special case and
        not just being able to do simple file copies for system
        backups.

> Can't you guys see how weak your arguments are??

        No one except the Lemmings here take your arugments at all
        seriously. We are simply too well informed. Your rhetoric
        is seen for the flim-flam that it is.

[deletia]
>> I really like exploring other Linux programs. It never fails. Almost never
>> reboot. Do everything you can in Windows.
>
>That's the difference right there. Some people NEED TO GET SOMETHING DONE.
>You like to 'explore' -->waste time.
>Different strokes, that's all.
>
>> If you need MS-Word2000, just start your VMWare memory copy and in 10
>seconds,
>> Word's there, in Linux.
>
>F'n vmware? That costs more than an upgrade to Win2k!!!

        It also runs better and does FULL filesystem journaling.

        Even if you already run Win2k, running vmware might not
        be a bad idea.

[deletia]
>> > 6.Hardware support under Linux is a highly mixed bag.
>> My computer: everything just worked, except for my scanner, but I can live
>with
>> that.
>
>Gee. Familiar story. If it doesn't work under windows, windows sucks, if

        No, this is more like the Lemming mantra. OTOH, most of us Linux
        Zealots recognize PC hardware support for the crapshot it is.

        Win2K is not immune to this.

>same under linux, "I can live with it". Anyone see a condition here?
>(usually cured with medication)
[deletia]

--

        Having seen my prefered platform being eaten away by vendorlock and
        the Lemming mentality in the past, I have a considerable motivation to

        Free Software is the only way to level the playing field against a
        market leader that has become immune to market pressures.

        The other alternatives are giving up and just allowing the mediocrity
        to walk all over you or to see your prefered product die slowly.

                                                               / | \

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2001 00:27:59 -0000

On Wed, 7 Feb 2001 08:30:56 -0500, MH <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>"J Sloan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> Interesting - I wonder if microsoft is getting desperate,
>> sending in the reserves here... the quality of the trolls
>> has been plummeting lately.
>
>Question:
>What would the Linus Fan boys do without these so called 'trolls'

        Paintball.

[deletia]

--

        Finding an alternative should not be like seeking out the holy grail.

        That is the whole damn point of capitalism.
                                                               / | \

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charlie Ebert)
Subject: Re: ERIK FUNKENBUSH CAN'T TELL US ***WHAT*** .NET IS
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2001 00:32:33 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Aaron R. Kulkis wrote:

>Bzzzzzzzzt! Wrong.  You mentioned that only that it is more things than just
>subscription based services.  What things, exactly?
>

>> Stop playing games.
>

>I'm merely asking you to tell us to define what .NET is.

Okay...  EF.

  A.   .net is Microsofts attempt at changing our vast fishing industry
               methods of catching tuna!
               They are catching too many dolphins and Bill Gates is
               attempting to stop them!

  B.   .net is a modern T.V. show with a modern 27 year old Jack Webb type
               and a modern 28 year old Harry Morgan type go out and
               comb the town as Los Angles police officers for bad guys.
               Microsoft will be sponcering with W2k ads.

  C.   .net is a new joint commercial for W2k and nike shoes.
               A bunch of basketball players "WHISTLE" whilst throwing
               boxes of W2k in hoops hung up way high on a basketball court.

  D.   .net is a new buzzword to resell the idea of people using
               Windows on the internet and charging massive subscription
               fees for rental/leased software while still managaging
               to legally get a listing of every peice of software installed
               on your machine to turn into the software police for the
               purpose of prosecuting people they believe have violated
               the law.  This included 'especially' companies.
               BIG COMPANIE$$$...  BIG CHEAP COMPANIE$$$.....
               And at the same time continue to fool people into thinking
               *THEIR* software has a remote chance in hell of kicking
               a sun server, loaded with Solaris's, ass!
               And it has kind of a nice UNIX ringie to it and would
               sound good with the other phrase "DATACENTER".

This is a multiple choice test EF.  Which will it be?
A?  B?  C?  or DuhhDuhhDuhh D?

I'll even throw in a CLUE!  The answer is very close to the initials
in your name.  The answer also shares a letter with this countries
currency!

--
Charlie

   **DEBIAN**                **GNU**
  / /     __  __  __  __  __ __  __
 / /__   / / /  \/ / / /_/ / \ \/ /
/_____/ /_/ /_/\__/ /_____/  /_/\_\
      http://www.debian.org

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Subject: Re: KDE Hell
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2001 00:33:43 -0000

On Wed, 07 Feb 2001 07:14:18 GMT, T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Said [EMAIL PROTECTED] () in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Mon, 05 Feb
>>On Mon, 05 Feb 2001 02:38:45 GMT, T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>>Said Jim Richardson in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Sat, 3 Feb 2001

>>>Well, considering the suspects burned themselves to death before they
>>>could be charged, I don't find it funny at all.
>>
>>      There were sufficient survivors for a trial.
>
>A trial for what?  Getting stupid with a religious nut who tried to kill
>them?  Koresh was the one who was being charged.  He is dead.

        Conspiracy would be the obvious thing.

        If Koresch was genuinely the only one that the ATF wanted to
        hunt down, then they could have done so at their liesure.
        There was no need for them to show the world how macho they are.

        However, that would still have been the most sane course of
        action strategically even if they did want to take out the
        entire sect. The ATF was simply showboating.

>>      Why weren't you aware of this?
[deletia]

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bloody Viking)
Subject: Re: Does Code Decay
Date: 8 Feb 2001 00:34:41 GMT

Aaron R. Kulkis ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

: How can you be sure?

: I dreamed up the same concept in junior high...simply put the components in
: diplomatic pouches....and slowly build them in country.  Or smuggle them to
: an agent living in the country using frogmen doing beach visits.

That's the Johnny Cash approach, one piece at a time. (: While we allegedly
abandoned the briefcase nuke, you can never know if we planted some Johnny
Cash nukes in good spots. A drawback to the Johnny Cash approach is that "some
assembly required" factor. While assembly itself isn't too big a problem (you
just train the agent) all the parts have to get there. For a successful
Operation Johnny Cash, parts count has to be kept small to lessen the hazard
of discovery.

Now, an "Operation Johnny Cash" plot could have been used at any time to "get"
Castro, a CIA priority during the cold war. The agent could have been trained
to get household stuff to make explosives for a conventional Johnny Cash bomb
to waste Castro or Saddam. But such explosions never happened. This puts our
briefcase nukes into a quantum cat catagory, we can't know, while Russian
briefcase nukes are known to exist and some being at large.

Intrigue can be so, well, intriguing...

--
FOOD FOR THOUGHT: 100 calories are used up in the course of a mile run.
The USDA guidelines for dietary fibre is equal to one ounce of sawdust.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charlie Ebert)
Subject: Re: AARON R. KULKIS HAS NO LIFE AND ASSUMES NOBODY ELSE DOES EITHER
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2001 00:34:58 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Aaron R. Kulkis wrote:
>Chad Myers wrote:
>>
>> "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>> news:Zi8g6.6368$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> > "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>> > line
>> > of my
>> > will
>> > be
>> > short-sighted

>> > and
>> > is
>> > surprised).

>> > Some people have lives outside of usenet.
>>
>> (Post through Erik)
>> Aaron,
>> I don't know if you've heard of it, but there's this new thing called the
>> "World Wide Web". Yeah, it's great. You can "search" for things on
>> "Search engines". It's really neat, you type in anything and it usually
>> returns a couple results relative to your topic.
>>

>Funkenbusch is here spouting off with claims that .NET is the answer to
>all of Microsoft's technical problems.
>
>I'm just trying to get him to explain on what he is basing that opinion,
>exactly.
>
>So far, he has LOTS of hot air and no facts.
>

>> You can also just type in an address and it will take you directly to
>> the "web site".
>>
>> Try this one:
>> http://msdn.microsoft.com/net/
>>
>> -Chad

EF has lots of hot air and not facts also!

--
Charlie

   **DEBIAN**                **GNU**
  / /     __  __  __  __  __ __  __
 / /__   / / /  \/ / / /_/ / \ \/ /
/_____/ /_/ /_/\__/ /_____/  /_/\_\
      http://www.debian.org

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charlie Ebert)
Subject: Re: NTFS Limitations (Was: RE: Red hat becoming illegal?)
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2001 00:36:22 GMT

In article <xu8g6.6437$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
>"Charlie Ebert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> YEAH!  Everything that bad old SUN company promised to do but
>> never came thru on.
>
>Yes, such as submitting Java to ISO, and then ECMA for standardization.
>
>> Perhaps the $20 million Microsoft just agree'd to pay them for
>> *STEALING JAVA* in the first place might have had something
>> to do with that.
>
>You haven't a clue.  The $20 million was to buy out their existing contract
>with Sun.  Sure, they won the battle, but they lost the war.  Microsoft
>can't use the Java compatible logo, but Java doesn't mean anything anymore.
>                                        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Wholy shit.  This guy really is an absolute loonatic.

--
Charlie

   **DEBIAN**                **GNU**
  / /     __  __  __  __  __ __  __
 / /__   / / /  \/ / / /_/ / \ \/ /
/_____/ /_/ /_/\__/ /_____/  /_/\_\
      http://www.debian.org

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2001 00:37:05 -0000

On 7 Feb 2001 07:36:56 GMT, Steve Mading <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>: Said [EMAIL PROTECTED] () in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Mon, 05 Feb
>:>On Sun, 04 Feb 2001 21:34:00 GMT, T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>:    [...]
>:>>>   IT'S THEIR JOB TO BE IN CONTROL.
>:>>
>:>>They were.  From all I've seen, its most likely the religious nuts
>:>>torched their own compound.
>:>
>:>     CS cannisters that are a fire hazzard certainly don't hurt
>:>     either.
>:>
>:>     If it weren't a government agency engaging in that sort of
>:>     behaivor, the perpetrators would have been held liable for
>:>     the fire damages.
>
>: Oh, for god's sake.  Because something, ANYTHING, the ATF had was
>: flammable, the fact that the Branch Davidians torched their own compound
>: is somehow a "get out of jail free" card?
>
>: No, I think it more likely that if you didn't have that polemic, there'd
>: be some other reason to insist it was the government that acted
>: improperly, regardless of who might have acted unwisely.
>
>Has it occurred to any of the people in this argument that maybe,
>just maybe, it's possible that *both* the Davidians and the ATF

        In terms of civil liability, if the ATF were civilians
        they would have been held jointly and severally liable.
        IOW, the vagueness of the situation would lead to BOTH
        parties being considered at fault.

>were guilty, and that neither side was in "the right"?  Perhaps
>the madman *did* torch his own followers out of some demented
>sense of religious martyrdom, but the ATF shouldn't have put him
>under the siege in the first place.  There's nothing illegal about
>being a moron who thinks he's some kind of god.

        OTOH, you hope that law enforcement personel with fully
        automatic weapons would exercise a little bit more sense
        than they tend to do.

--

        Common Standards, Common Ownership.

        The alternative only leads to destructive anti-capitalist
        and anti-democratic monopolies.
                                                               / | \

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bloody Viking)
Date: 8 Feb 2001 00:39:12 GMT

Aaron R. Kulkis ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

: What's the original electronics adage?

If you want to build an amplifier, build an oscillator. If you want to build
an oscillator, build an amplifier.

That old adage is a function of Murphy's Law as it applies to radio equipment.
Often, a ham building an oscillator often ends up with a device that doesn't
oscillate until he gets it right, and often RF amplifiers have parasitic
oscillation.

From: "Tom Wilson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Goodby MS...
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2001 00:40:07 GMT

"Joseph T. Adams" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:95rchr$p0g$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Tom Wilson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> :>
> :> Actually, that would be MS not able to write a decent API and or Class
>
> : It would have been nice if they had actually put some thought into
MFC...
> : It appears to be grudgingly written by C programmers.
>
> One of the few things that can be said in defense of MFC also explains
> in part why it is so horrible: it predates the C++ standard by quite a
> few years.

Even taking that into account, the code itself, is poorly written, a memory
hog, and leaky.

> : The WTL classes are
> : far superior, IMHO, but, they're no longer being developed, are poorly
> : documented, and the classes that mirror MFC's are at times very
> : inconsistant.
>
> : The above class started out as a kludge to pull images from a database
> : stream. Now, it supports nearly a dozen formats including VICAR (as a
> : joke). About the only thing I used from the API was the bitblit
function.
> : The less you rely on the internal functions, oddly enough, the more
> : consistant the results across all of the platforms. You'd think that the
> : API would behave consistantly between 95 and NT, but it doesn't. Palette
> : handling is entirely different as is how ANISOTROPIC mapping mode is
> : carried out.
>
> It's funny to hear VB "developers" fresh out of college dismiss any
> notion of portability on the basis that "the whole world runs Windows"
> and such tripe.  Even if that were true, and thank God it is not,
> there are sufficient differences between the 12+ Windows variants that
> portability is a consideration if you need to support more than one of
> them.

The place I'm working with canned such a fellow. One of my first tasks was
to go behind him and clean up the mess he made. Sad, really. Most young guys
straight out of college respond to LifeInTheRealWorld-101. (I had to take
that particular "course" myself - As we all did..) This one just didn't
respond. I hope he wises up someday. A good bit of raw talent in there just
waiting to be molded.

--
Tom Wilson
Sunbelt Software Solutions

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2001 00:41:22 -0000

On Wed, 07 Feb 2001 07:14:20 GMT, T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Said [EMAIL PROTECTED] () in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Mon, 05 Feb
>2001 19:28:47 -0000;
>>On Sat, 03 Feb 2001 07:12:34 GMT, John Travis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>>And Charlie Ebert spoke unto the masses...
>>>:When it comes to Koresh, don't we have better things to do
>>>:with our Federal money and time than chace religious kooks?
>>>:Religious kooks with guns or not, who cares....
>>>:
>>>:Did they break any law?  I still never heard.
>>>
>>>Yes, several fire arms laws, hence the ATF.
>>
>>      Koresh was a licenced machine gun dealer.
>>
>>      So that might be rather disputable.
>>
>>      Also, the mere presence law enforcment personnel does
>>      not demonstrate guilt.
>>
>>[deletia]
>>
>>      The bulk of their 'stockpile' was weapons that are available
>>      in models that are quite legal for civilians to purchase and
>>      own without any special licencing.
>
>Then why didn't he simply surrender peacefully and get a lawyer?
>
>WHY DID HE MURDER ALL THOSE CHILDREN?

        Save your rhetoric. You're not talking to a sheep here.

        It is the JOB of law enforcement to maintain control and take
        the necessary steps to prevent the loss of life. This is what
        they are TRAINED for.

        To lay all of this on someone with notions of being some sort
        of prophet is assinine.

        Confrontation simply wasn't necessary. 'punking' the 'kidnapper'
        in this instance was not required. The government simply couldn't
        stand to look a little foolish.

        So they traded some innocent lives to look nice and macho.

--

        Ease of use should be associated with things like "human engineering"
        and "use the right tool for the right job".  And of course,

                                Bobby Bryant - COLA
                                                               / | \

------------------------------

From: Chris Ahlstrom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2001 00:41:48 GMT

"T. Max Devlin" wrote:

> Said Chris Ahlstrom in alt.destroy.microsoft on Tue, 06 Feb 2001
>    [...]
> >As I understand it, .NET will be accessible to any OS, it's just that
> >Windows tools will be the first down the pike.  Of course, that
> >common-language substrate will be lowest-common-denominator, and
> >Microsoft will change it whenever they see fit, giving developers fits.
> >It'll be as stable as OLE/COM/COM+/ActiveX/DCOM.....
>
> What are you talking about?  It *is* OLE/COM/COM+/ActiveX/DCOM...

And...

        ... A little bit of SOAP

<image>Chris cha-cha'ing around the room in his socks.</image>

--
This Windows OS is ghak!  I need dual Pentium
processors to do battle with this code!!!

From: Matthew Gardiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux is a fad?
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2001 00:42:23 GMT

No, the question they should have asked was, "Name a country outside
America, and show its location on the map". I wonder how many would have
achieved that feat (not including people from overseas (I know, the
dreaded words, "people from overseas")).

Matthew Gardiner