Linux-Advocacy Digest #168, Volume #32           Tue, 13 Feb 01 09:13:03 EST

Contents:
  Re: How Microsoft Crushes the Hearts of Trolls. (Bloody Viking)
  Re: KDE Whiners (Ian Pulsford)
  Re: 10.8 Terabytes of storage for $50 (Nick Condon)
  Re: Peformance Test ("muppet")
  Re: Answer this if you can... (Karel Jansens)
  Re: Linux Threat: non-existant (Karel Jansens)
  Re: Linux Threat: non-existant (Karel Jansens)
  Re: Linux Threat: non-existant (pip)
  Re: Linux Threat: non-existant (pip)
  Re: KDE Whiners ("Joseph T. Adams")
  Re: 10.8 Terabytes of storage for $50 (pip)
  Re: Linux reference distro ("Joseph T. Adams")
  Re: Is there a real purpose to this forum? (elmig)
  Re: Micro-Sinux Distro? (elmig)
  Windows vs. Unix printer model (Re: Another Linux "Oopsie"!) (Donn Miller)
  Re: KDE Whiners ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: 10.8 Terabytes of storage for $50 (mitch)
  Re: Another Linux "Oopsie"! (Donn Miller)
  Re: Peformance Test ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: ERIK FUNKENBUSH CAN'T TELL US ***WHAT*** .NET IS ("Chad Myers")
  Re: Interesting article ("Chad Myers")
  Re: Linux Threat: non-existant ("Chad Myers")
  Re: SGI XFS Installation Update ("Tom Wilson")

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bloody Viking)
Subject: Re: How Microsoft Crushes the Hearts of Trolls.
Date: 13 Feb 2001 11:30:15 GMT

Charlie Ebert ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

: But what do they plan on doing with Linux?
: Bankrupting Linux maybe?  Humm.  You can't bankrupt Linux, it's not a
: company.  It's like a huge armored tank which can't even be defamed properly,
: like a corporation could.

: Oh shure!  You might actually get some distribution vendor to go away,
: but you sure can't kill Linux base.  That's what it takes to kill Linux.

: What are the three things which will be here for doomsday?

There is a parallel in the form of Scientology and the protestors. As the
protestors reveal the facts about the cult, the cult is damaged but the cult
can't effectively fight back becuse its enemy is decentralised being a losse
collection of independant protestors.

Similarly, Linux is decentralised and Linux doesn't crash as often as Windows
* does and every techie knows it. Thus, Linux distros are inanimate protestors
against the Windows cult revealing that Windows * is junk.

Another MS/Scientology parallel is criminal behaviour to protect its
interests. High-echelon Scientology management was convicted in an espionage
action whereby they infiltrated government offices to destroy documents. MS
violates antitrust laws.

--
FOOD FOR THOUGHT: 100 calories are used up in the course of a mile run.
The USDA guidelines for dietary fibre is equal to one ounce of sawdust.

------------------------------

From: Ian Pulsford <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: KDE Whiners
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 21:41:12 +1000

Nils Zonneveld wrote:

> Tim Hanson wrote:
> >
> > Ximian, which was Helixcode, son of GNOME, bought space from Google to
> > put up their ad every time someone types KDE or Konqueror or a bunch of
> > other KDE related names into their search field, sort of like Sun
> > putting up ads on Linux sites, or Linux companies putting up ads on
> > Microsoft sites.
> >
> > The KDE babies have been grieviously offended by this and haven't
> > stopped blubbering all day.  Now they they're going to sue.  Good way to
> > get laughed out of an attorney's office.
> >

> Maybe this is just a clash of cultures: the European culture of
> cooperation and the American culture of "ripping each others balls off
> when we get the chance".
>
> Nils - bit black and white, but this is an advocacy group after all :-)

Maybe Ximian are just trying to make a buck.  I don't think the GPL is
explicitly against that (though implicitly that is a matter of debate).

IanP

--
"Dear someone you've never heard of,
how is so-and-so. Blah blah.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Nick Condon)
Subject: Re: 10.8 Terabytes of storage for $50
Date: 13 Feb 2001 11:33:57 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Aaron Kulkis) wrote in <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>Charlie Ebert wrote:
>>
>> http://www.slashdot.com
>>
>> This just posted.  They've profected a 10.8 terabyte
>> storage device the size of a credit card for $50.
>> It's faster than any drive man has ever made.
>>
>> WHOOM!  There went the world.
>>

>Hmmmmm, compression.
>
>Compression means 1 bit error = many many bytes of corruption.
>I don't like it.

So RAID-5 it. 10.8 terabytes the size of a pack of cards for $250.
--
Nick

------------------------------

From: "muppet" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Peformance Test
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 11:52:46 -0000

> When you're talking about a system which controls carbon-dioxide lasers,
one
> bug can cause someone to die or get very hurt.

And you're controlling this safety-critical system with an NT box?
I was rather worried when I saw ATMs running NT, but at least that could
only burn money, not people.

Please tell me there was a huge amount of QA effort involved in this
development, I guess your QA guys also got the relevant NT code in some
escrow form to run their white-box tests on.

Out of interest what kind of MTBF are you getting from an embedded NT system
(or does the system spend most of it's life powered down, and is turned on
for relatively short periods?)

I'm honestly curious, not just poking the hive - I got out of
potentially-people-hurting-software-development some time ago but I'm still
interested.

------------------------------

From: Karel Jansens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Answer this if you can...
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 11:32:22 +0100

Mart van de Wege wrote:

> Mart
> --
> Happily running Debian, posting with Pan

Totally unrelated to the thread: How does Pan do as an offline
newsreader? Does it have its own spooler, like krn or the StarOffice
newsreader, or do you have to rely on something like leafnode?

Reason for the question: leafnode has "issues" with my ISP (and I
don't like krn), so a switch seems in order.
--
Regards,

Karel Jansens
==============================
"Go go gadget linux." Zoomm!
==============================

------------------------------

From: Karel Jansens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux Threat: non-existant
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 11:41:31 +0100

Ian Pulsford wrote:

> Karel Jansens wrote:
> >
> > Jan Johanson wrote:
> > >
> > > let me reply by simply quoting yourself back to yourself.
> > > "sfcybear" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > news:966pdg$em5$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > > I have heard NOTHING about linux making gains anywhere past the frustrated
> > > hobbyist level...
> >
> > Do you equate "I didn't hear about <insert subject>" to "<insert
> > subject> is not happening"?
> > --
>
> If a tree falls in the forest and no one witnesses it, did it really
> happen?  No!

Zen marketing.

I *like* it!

--
Regards,

Karel Jansens
==============================
"Go go gadget linux." Zoomm!
==============================

------------------------------

From: Karel Jansens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 11:39:05 +0100

Bob Hauck wrote:

> On Mon, 12 Feb 2001 19:50:44 +0100, Karel Jansens
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >Why do you consider Applix a joke?
>
> Chad thinks that anything he's never seen and that doesn't run on
> Windows is a joke.

Oh.

But Applix Office _does_ run on Windows (it doesn't like to, but
nevertheless...)

--
Regards,

Karel Jansens
==============================
"Go go gadget linux." Zoomm!
==============================

------------------------------

From: pip <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 12:28:05 +0000

Aaron Kulkis wrote:
[snip]> > All true - but remember - M$ is a monopoly because they
> > sold what people wanted to buy at a time when the alternatives
> > were crap. You could arue that
>
> Wrong.  DR-DOS 3.0 had features that M$ never implemented until 5.x and
> 6.x
>
> Not only that, but it crashed a lot less and DR sold DR-DOS for almost
> 50%
> *LESS* than MS sold MS-DOS.

OK, this may be the case, but (searching my head for examples),
you had a platform that ran lots of IBM software and ran the
things that people wanted to do: spreadsheets AND other things
where Apple didn't really do that much, only showed promise. As
for DR-DOS - I just can't remember what the software scene was like.

However, you'll need to remind me if DrDos was 50% less why did ms-dos
succeed? Did IBM not go after the clone market?

By the time the tide turned to msdos, Apple was simply doing
the stupid thing it always had done and charged too much and assumed
that people would but the "better" computer. What was DR-DOS doing
seeing as it was more advanced?

Now if people at Apple had their marketing brains on earlier
there is no reason why they should not have been the new slightly-evil
empire - instead M$ had what people bought. DR-DOS died.

> So...MS arm-twisted OEM's into charging customers for an MS-DOS license
> even if the customer wanted DR-DOS and did *NOT* have MS-DOS on the
> machine.

How? Could they not licence DR-DOS? If they could then surely they
would have picked the "best" product - especially if DR-DOS was
cheaper. M$ had no market power then - so for once they were on a level
playing field.

> > 1. OS is a natural monopoly
> >         API's, file formats and device drivers are all serious "lock-in"
> > 2. Monopolies exist because they are the best at the time
> >         M$ provided a platform with better software than Apple did at the time
> >
> > They are now of course a deeply evil company in their tactics dept.
>
> They are an evil company because they have a 20-year history of criminal
> behavior.
>
> What part of CONVICTED do you not understand?

And I'm glad they were. In fact it did not go far enough.
Take the battle between M$ and Sun over Java - as a Java advocate
(yes - I'll get you using Java apps- just you wait) I can see clearly
how M$ abuses any monopoly power they have to smash competitors.
I still think that (IMHO) m$ got to that size, not only because they
were complete
ruthless buggers - but also because they SOLD lots because
people WANTED it. There were other computer systems, other os's: so
why did this become so popular? Is it not because if
we like it or not - it was what people wanted. Did
people really care if the computer had a nice GUI or could
do a cheap Lotus or clone spreadsheet? Why didn't a good PC Unix
appear earlier? I am not defending
the fact that M$ abuse their market position - just that
they got their because people didn't want other solutions or
that other solutions simply were not there.
Go on.... admit it :-)

p.s. [OT]

I was ranting a while ago about the lack of Alcatel USB driver
support. Luckily companies are slowly seeing the light, and Alcatel for
one
is releasing open source drivers soon :-) This is a really big
deal for me as atm I can't use my ADSL connection with my
lovely Linux server.
( http://www.alcatel.com/vpr/?body=/latestnews/12022001uk )

------------------------------

From: pip <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 12:36:18 +0000

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> O[snip]
>         This is simply delusional.
>
>         At no point in time has Microsoft bested it's competitors
>         technically. Try and demonstrate otherwise, in actual
>         detail rather than simply by empty rhetoric.

Doh! People just don't listen when it comes to hating Microsoft!
THEY WERE NOT TECHNICALLY MORE ADVANCED. THEY SOLD MORE.
WHY?

>         Microsoft sold what people thought most other people used.
>         The vendorlock you allude to existed as early as 1988, more
>         than a decade ago, and prior to the existence of ANY useful
>         version of Windows.

So? What you are saying by implication is that people allowed
vendor lock-in because they bought products that ran on msdos
EVEN when there were alternate choices?

>         Microsoft was subjecting people to DOS driver installs and
>         manual memory management as late as the 2nd half of 1995.

Yes, so? Am I saying msdos was any good? All I am saying is that
it sold more and that is M$ became such a force - like it or not
people (for what ever reason) chose it!

------------------------------

From: "Joseph T. Adams" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 13 Feb 2001 12:55:32 GMT

Tim Hanson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: Ximian, which was Helixcode, son of GNOME, bought space from Google to
: put up their ad every time someone types KDE or Konqueror or a bunch of
: other KDE related names into their search field, sort of like Sun
: putting up ads on Linux sites, or Linux companies putting up ads on
: Microsoft sites.

: The KDE babies have been grieviously offended by this and haven't
: stopped blubbering all day.  Now they they're going to sue.  Good way to
: get laughed out of an attorney's office.

I don't have a public opinion on the KDE/Gnome debate other than to
say I like and use major parts of both.

But this is just pathetic and silly behavior on *both* sides.  It is
unbecoming of professionals, and reflects poorly on free software in
general, the excellent quality of both projects notwithstanding.

Joe

------------------------------

From: pip <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 12:57:06 +0000

Charlie Ebert wrote:

> http://www.slashdot.com
>
> This just posted.  They've profected a 10.8 terabyte
> storage device the size of a credit card for $50.
> It's faster than any drive man has ever made.
>
> WHOOM!  There went the world.

Show me the hardware....

Sounds wonderful - and I just bought a new 30.7GB HD for more :-(

What's happening about that IBM memory-based HD?

There seems to be much hype and no products :-(

Besides - its all a bad idea. I can't remember why I saved my files on 2
gig partition,
how on earth am I going to find things in terabytes - I'll need to
actually
_organise_ my files! That sucks.

------------------------------

From: "Joseph T. Adams" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux reference distro
Date: 13 Feb 2001 13:19:06 GMT

Erik Funkenbusch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: "J Sloan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
: news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
:> Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
:>
:> > "Mart van de Wege" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
:> > news:3a868e12$0$20218@reader3...
:> > > I work in financials, and as a Linux user (and onetime RH6.2
:> > > user) I have been tracking RH on this very subject. For one,
:> > > they just posted earnings well above expectations, and they've
:> > > set their target for profitability as sometime this year (don't
:> > > have the exact date here, and I'm too lazy to look it up).
:> >
:> > Isn't it amazing that Red Hat's financials have suddenly picked up since
:> > they decided to start releasing broken versions of their OS (RH 7) that
:> > generate lots and lots of support incidents?
:>
:> What support incidents?
:>
:> I've been running 7.0 on several boxes and not a
:> hint of trouble in sight, but a number of labor reducing
:> enhancements.

: You're going to sit there and tell me you're not the least bit aware of all
: the issues surrounding Red Hat 7?  You're not aware that Linux has stated
: categorically that RH7 is severely broken?

Linus, not Linux.  And it's broken for developers, who, by and large,
are bright enough to recognize and address the issue as they see fit.
Most Redhat users are running servers, not development workstations.
One notable exception happens to be Alan Cox, who is a Red Hat
employee, Linus' right-hand man, and the maintainer of the stable
kernel series.  The kernel-traffic e-mail exchange to which you
allude, involving both Linus and Alan among others, is instructive.
Suffice it to say that there was no obviously "correct" decision Red
Hat could have made, but that it chose what it believed to be the
lesser of several evils.

Joe

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (elmig)
Subject: Re: Is there a real purpose to this forum?
Date: 13 Feb 2001 13:27:27 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (KLH) wrote in
<iZsh6.339615$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

(deleted...)

I can classify your message as E

| elmig                                        |
| http://www.alunos.ipb.pt/~ee3931             |
| mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] |

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (elmig)
Subject: Re: Micro-Sinux Distro?
Date: 13 Feb 2001 13:30:24 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (mlw) wrote in <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>Steve Tinkle wrote:
>> [ . . ]
>
>What scares me more than an M$ Linux, is a set of "Microsoft Extensions"
>for Linux which allow a port of M$ office.

What scares me most is porting all the dll-hell to linux.

Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 08:31:57 -0500
From: Donn Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Windows vs. Unix printer model (Re: Another Linux "Oopsie"!)

Pete Goodwin wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> > Which brings up one of my pet peeves --- how *do* you print a postscript
> > file to a postscript printer under Windows? Note: Under *Windows*. Not
> > under DOS.
>
> Unless your printer understands postscript, you can't. You could use
> Ghostview, I suppose.

See, now there's a flaw in the Windows "unified printer model" you've
been talking about.  It's very nice that every app shares the same
printer driver, but now Windows assumes everything should go through the
printer driver interface, which blows up when you try to print a PS
file.  Basically, what you want to do is simply DUMP the PS file to the
printer.  You'd do this with the CL "print" command, as someone pointed
out.

Or, you could write a C program which opens the printer device (prob.
LPT1) like a regular file, and do a copy of the data in the PS file to
the file descriptor returned by OpenFile("LPT1", /**/) (or is it
CreateFile()?).  It could either be a GUI or CL app, but it wouldn't
matter as long as it copied the data from the PS file to the printer
device file.  It's a sad irony that you have to write a C program to do
something on Windows which doesn't require a hack on unix!  This is just
the opposite of how you stereotype Windows + Linux, you know, Linux is a
hacker's OS, Windows doesn't require hacking, etc.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: 13 Feb 2001 13:35:23 GMT

Ian Pulsford <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Nils Zonneveld wrote:
>>
>> Tim Hanson wrote:
>> >
>> > Ximian, which was Helixcode, son of GNOME, bought space from Google to
>> > put up their ad every time someone types KDE or Konqueror or a bunch of
>> > other KDE related names into their search field, sort of like Sun
>> > putting up ads on Linux sites, or Linux companies putting up ads on
>> > Microsoft sites.
>> >
>> > The KDE babies have been grieviously offended by this and haven't
>> > stopped blubbering all day.  Now they they're going to sue.  Good way to
>> > get laughed out of an attorney's office.
>> >

>> Maybe this is just a clash of cultures: the European culture of
>> cooperation and the American culture of "ripping each others balls off
>> when we get the chance".
>>
>> Nils - bit black and white, but this is an advocacy group after all :-)

> Maybe Ximian are just trying to make a buck.  I don't think the GPL is
> explicitly against that (though implicitly that is a matter of debate).

Ximian is making a buck the same way every other successful software company
has: by advertising.

Jesus christ, it wasnt like ximian links were substituted for KDE links.

It was a banner add.  Everyone needs to calm the hell down.

=====.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (mitch)
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 13:32:14 GMT

On Tue, 13 Feb 2001 12:57:06 +0000, pip
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Sounds wonderful - and I just bought a new 30.7GB HD for more :-(
>
>What's happening about that IBM memory-based HD?
>
>There seems to be much hype and no products :-(
>
>Besides - its all a bad idea. I can't remember why I saved my files on 2
>gig partition,
>how on earth am I going to find things in terabytes - I'll need to
>actually
>_organise_ my files! That sucks.

I think that companies like 'google' and 'lycos' will make a killing
in selling localised search engines - they`ll be the only way to find
things on storage devices such as this, comparable in size to large
chunks of the internet.

If they haven`t thought of this yet, you saw it here first, and I
claim all rights to this idea.  (Patent Pending)

--
Smileys are nothing but conceptual wheelchair ramps for the humor impaired.
 - Geoff Miller

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 08:39:34 -0500
From: Donn Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Another Linux "Oopsie"!

Edward Rosten wrote:

> No, that'n not the case. The system under UNIX isn't just simple drivers,
> it's a filter based system. I can print PS, plain text, raw data, DVI and
> PDF to my printer through the default queue. The filter sorts them out
> and picks the correct interpreter.
>
> My buest guess is the the GIMP dirvers aren't very good.

Actually, that's correct -- GIMP uses a postscript driver plugin to do
the printing, and that plugin appears to generate somewhat bad
postscript.  I've had trouble printing out images in the GIMP, but then
again, you can't generalize that all unix apps have trouble generating
postscript just because the GIMP does.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: 13 Feb 2001 13:39:53 GMT

muppet <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> When you're talking about a system which controls carbon-dioxide lasers,
> one
>> bug can cause someone to die or get very hurt.

> And you're controlling this safety-critical system with an NT box?
> I was rather worried when I saw ATMs running NT, but at least that could
> only burn money, not people.

Eric doesnt understand what carbon dioxide lasers are used for.  No one
is going to die or get hurt if theres a bug in the control system.

Alot of money will be lost though.

Which is why that kind of thing is almost always controlled with an actual
REAL RT embedded OS, and not NT crap.

=====.

------------------------------

From: "Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ERIK FUNKENBUSH CAN'T TELL US ***WHAT*** .NET IS
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 13:37:42 GMT

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:96ae1c$l6f$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In article <Wy0i6.30212$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> Chad Myers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> >"chrisv" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> >> Yep, we're all paranoid.  Microsoft doesn't really want to monopolize
> >> things.  They don't want to maximize the amount of money they make.
> >
> >You make it to seem like they have a secret army that will invade
> >your house if you don't buy their products.
> >
> >Give me a break. Go back to the looney bin where you came from.
> >
>     I don't think they are particularly "secret" but the SPA qualifies
>     as an organization which will invade homes and businesses trying to

Please show me one bit of proof showing that SPA has ever, or has a policy
of, invaded(ing) homes.

>     confiscate any computer equipment which has been "touched" by
>     software which you cannot prove, to *their* satisfaction, was
>     licensed properly.

They only do that to organizations which are rampantly breaking the
law. Every time they've investigated an organization, that organization
has been found to have millions of dollars in unlicensed software.
Law enforment agencies back the SPA because it is crucial in uncovering
gross violations of the law.

Are you advocating rampant software piracy?

-Chad

------------------------------

From: "Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Interesting article
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 13:39:03 GMT

"Shane Phelps" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> Chad Myers wrote:
> >
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:96834m$gus$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > >     "Professional" does not mean "better quality."
> > >
> > >     A "professional" paints your house, an "amateur" painted the Cistine
> > >     Chapel.
> >
> > DaVinci actually painted chapels, portraits and other works for
> > a living. He was, by definition, a professional.
> >

> So did Michaelangelo.
>
> Sorry, I just couldn't resist ;-)

Duh! <smacks forehead> I wrote that at the end of a long day, IIRC.
It was Micaelangelo, sorry.

-Chad

------------------------------

From: "Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 13:41:11 GMT

"Nic Bellamy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Chad Myers wrote:
> >
> > "Nic Bellamy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > > These are the kind of figures that you can't find just by looking at CD
> > > sales. Sure, some may get experimented with once and put on the shelf to
> > > collect dust, but there are also a lot of people around that install
> > > several machines from a single CD.
> >
> > But you are the exception to the norm. Even if there were a
> > thousand people like you, it still so insignificant as to be
> > almost not worth talking about. Less than one percent of one percent
> > or something like that.
>
> But 250 x 1000 is still 250,000 machines :-)

Which is really insignificant. There are probably near that many
Amigas out there (in fact, probably more because of the Toaster),
and about as many Atari 6400's.

> For every person like me, there are probably 10 or more who install 25,
> and maybe a hundred or more who install 2 or 3. The numbers add up...

... to a rather insignificant amount which really isn't large enough
to talk about.

> I really have no idea how many machines out there are running Linux, all
> I know is that I'm seeing and installing more and more of it, and our
> LUG meetings keep having to move to bigger venues ;-)

Because it's a fad. People have been buying Razor scooters like gold,
but it will die off as well.

-Chad

------------------------------

From: "Tom Wilson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SGI XFS Installation Update
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 13:59:00 GMT

"Stuart Krivis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On Tue, 13 Feb 2001 04:47:21 GMT, Tom Wilson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >may have fixed it. Webmin is a far superior config tool, IMHO...
>
> vi is a far superior config tool. :-)

If you're gonna be that way about it...
Emacs rules! <g>