  Re: The beginning of the end for microsoft (GreyCloud)

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: European arrogance and ignorance... (was Re: Just when Linux
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 14:39:30 -0700

drsquare wrote:

> On Tue, 12 Jun 2001 16:48:23 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
>  ([EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine))
> wrote:
>
> >In comp.os.linux.advocacy, drsquare
> ><[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> >As for the Japanese: quick, pick one: did you want hundreds of
> >thousands of Japanese to die, or hundreds of thousands of Americans
> >and millions of Japanese, and a long, protracted invasion which
>
> There are many alternatives.

There really wasn't one.  You overlook a point that was not really
pushed or reported on.
The Japanese were also developing a nuclear bomb.  So it was either them
or us.
Truman really didn't have a choice.

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 14:40:03 -0700

chrisv wrote:

> drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >>[1] Tamed the West -- an internal matter, to be sure, but quite
> >>    an accomplishment given the primitive technology at the time.
> >
> >What? Are you referring to how you went round driving people out of
> >their homes, and skinning them alive etc?
> >
> >>[2] Helped defeat the Nazis *and* the Japanese, more or less simultaneously.
> >
> >Yeah, you sent a couple of men over to Europe after the Nazis were on
> >their last legs, and then wiped out hundreds of thousands of innocent
> >women and children in Japan. Now THERE'S something to be proud of.
>
> You see, you lose all credibility with statements like this.  It only
> shows you to be totally ignorant of history, or that your just an
> anti-american a-hole, or, more likely, both.
>
> Try to choose your battles.  Not everything about America is bad,
> obviously.

Maybe he still has his finger in the dike.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why homosexuals are no threat to heterosexuals
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 17:44:00 -0400

Burkhard Wölfel wrote:

> [...]
> > > discussions like this serve only to forget that it's _my_ health that is
> > > in danger.
> > > Talking about minorities is easy if you don't belong to them: whatever
> > > taboo I might get to, it's not my life.
> > > BTW, a good way to get those discussions (face to face, esp. in groups)
> > > back to earth is talking about contraception and sexuality of the people
> > > involved: Now the taboo is ours, the problem is ours and we are talking
> > > about everyday life, not as seen on TV or read in papers written to fit
> > > into everyone's lunch break.
> > >
> > > Think about this:
> > >         When my girl and I decided to leave condoms outta bed, I proposed to
> > > get us both tested. She was a bit frightened at first, thought that
> > > there was only danger where there's a test, but it was easy to convince
> > > her: How could she know if I lied to her or not? What if I knew I had
> > > AIDS and didn't tell her? (Yeah, excellent rhetoric device for
> > > positively predisposed relationships: just twist it around the evil way.
> > > Works.)
> > >         She called her gynaecologist and was told to come next day. When she
> > > arrived, there already was rumors and rants like "uuh, you're the one
> > > with the <look left, look right> AIDS test <g> ". Imagine the faces of
> > > the other patients waiting.
> > >         The doctor was really cool: He told her to have the test made
> > > anonymously at the "Gesundheitsamt", a public health care office,
> > > because her health insurance record would block her entry into public
> > > service.
> > > Once again: This doctor said, Lady, don't let your future employer (the
> > > Fed. Rep. of Germany) know that you had yourself tested or they won't
> > > employ you. And this guy even knew examples!
> > > And all we wanted to do is live our relationship in a responsible way.
> > >
> > > People, this is so pervert, I couldn't believe it.
> > > And the pervertion is the same as with Mr. "baise-cule" Kulekiss: take a
> > > strong sexual taboo, fear of death and painful disease and start to
> > > gossip. The greater the distance (taboo) the easier assumptions and
> > > guesses become "truth". The whole thing works quite fine, as long as it
> > > is not disturbed by truth, which would mostly be a catastrophe in these
> > > cases.
> >
> > Well, this may come as a surprise to you, but the US Army tests EVERY
> > soldier for AIDS every 6-12 months.
>
> I am not surprised. I knew that before, and I don't think this is a way
> to solve the problem, anyway it's legitimate for the US Army to know the
> status of their resources.
> In fact I am surprised to see that this answer ends our argument for
> you.
>
> Your assumptions about AIDS, HIV, sexuality and genders are errant, even
> if the US Army wouldn't test for anything.
> IMO your attitude is one of the main reasons for the success of the
> virus: I could never get AIDS, because I am so normal, and AIDS is a

I don't have sex with men
I don't cavort with sluts, nor IV drug users.

Hope that helps.

> But AIDS is much more normal than you think. For example, your
> assumption that HIV spreads only into the direction of the semen, is
> wrong. The virus is found in various human body liquids, e.g. blood.

Am I a vampire?
a) yes
B) NO

>         > On Tue, 12 Jun 2001 06:45:36 -0400, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
>         >  ("Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:
>         >
>         > >Ed Cogburn wrote:
>         >
>         > >> > which DEADLY, INCURABLE diseases are spread by heterosexual
> contact?
>         > >>
>         > >> Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome.
>         > >
>         > >Not for men.
>
> If it wasn't this ignorance that kills so many people, it would be hell
> of a laugh.
> Perhaps you should think it all over again, the basis of your opinion is
> corrupt.
>
> Get it, Aaron, before it gets you. Don't learn all those things in
> hospital. Learn them now, learn about your body and your lifestyle.
> Learn about the differences, about freedom.
> It's important to know. Or how do you want to know how to deal with
> infected kindergarten children, your infected colleague, infected
> soldiers? Your proposal

Anybody who takes REASONABLE precautions will NOT get infected with AIDS.
Just like anybody who takes REASONABLE precautions will NOT get hit by a train.

These days, you have to behave in a suicidal manner...both to get AIDS,
and to get hit by a railroad engine.

>         on Tue, 12 Jun 2001 06:10:13 -0400, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
>         "Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote
>         > Enough of this nonsense.
>         >
>         > Screw them.  In this day and age, if you have AIDS, you're an idiot,
>         > and should be just lined up against the wall and shot, just on
> principle,
>         > for being such a fucking dumbass.
>
> won't work out. By the way it is not cool, it don't even look great on
> TV.
> Your violent opposition to dealing with the problem constructively
> implies mighty taboo pressure. Free yourself, Aaron!
>

> > > The only way to cure AIDS is to get to the splinter in our own eyes.
> > > AIDS has something to do with all of our lives, habits and lifestyles.
> > > Bothering with other people's ones will not solve the problem, neither
> > > does it answer the question of guilt properly, which wouldn't solve the
> > > problem either.
> > >
> > > BTW, I totally left out the possibility that Mr. Kulekiss simply waits
> > > to be f###ed in his a## and doesn't know how to put it... But I think
> > > he's only a punk begging for attention (like they all do).
> > >
> > > Happy testing,
> > >         B.

> Burkhard Wölfel
> v e r s u c h s a n s t a l t (at) g m x . de
> pubkey for this adress @ pgp.net

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Quantum Leaper" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: European arrogance and ignorance... (was Re: Just when Linux  starts
getting good, Microsoft buries it in  the       dust!)
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 21:45:06 GMT

"The Ghost In The Machine" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in
message news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, drsquare
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>  wrote
> on Mon, 11 Jun 2001 21:06:11 +0100
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> >On Mon, 11 Jun 2001 15:40:47 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
> > ([EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine))
> >wrote:
> >
> >>In comp.os.linux.advocacy, drsquare

> >>Let me count the ways.  Some of these are of course ancient, but...
> >>
> >>[1] Tamed the West -- an internal matter, to be sure, but quite
> >>    an accomplishment given the primitive technology at the time.
> >
> >What? Are you referring to how you went round driving people out of
> >their homes, and skinning them alive etc?
>
> All of these accomplishments might be taken either way, admittedly.
> For example, we committed genocide on the Indians.  Definitely
> not something to be proud of.

Disease wiped out more Natives Americans,  then anything else.

------------------------------

From: Ed Cogburn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 17:50:18 -0400

S.T. Pickrell wrote:

> In North America, it seems more homosexuals get it. Whether the
> gap will close or not is another issue.

Last I heard its progress through the gay community has slowed, but its
advancing among the heterosexual youth,

From: "Quantum Leaper" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 21:46:08 GMT

"drsquare" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On Tue, 12 Jun 2001 16:48:23 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
>  ([EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine))
> wrote:
>
> >In comp.os.linux.advocacy, drsquare
> ><[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> >As for the Japanese: quick, pick one: did you want hundreds of
> >thousands of Japanese to die, or hundreds of thousands of Americans
> >and millions of Japanese, and a long, protracted invasion which
>
> There are many alternatives.
>
> >probably would have bored to tears most of the Americans on the
> >mainland and ultimately resulted in a Vietnam-like cessation?
>
> Oh no, we don't want the Americans getting bored!
>
> >Truman's decision was a very tough one, and he made it.  I'm not
> >sure if there was a better one possible, unless the Japanese
> >decided to surrender unilaterally without intervention, of course.
> >At least they could save face this way by acknowledging that
> >America had an obviously superior weapon, and backing off in
> >light thereof.  And yes, there was light.  A lot of it.
> >So much so that some people were no more than shadows on the
> >nearest still-standing piece of rubble...
>
> Including lots of innocent women and children. Like in Vietnam.

You seem to forget the French started the problem in Vietnam.

------------------------------

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 14:48:31 -0700

Nick Condon wrote:

> GreyCloud wrote:
>
> >David Brown wrote:
> >> Where would you be without your TV and your Cola, your antibiotics and
> >> your steam engine?  All are Scottish inventions, but I could hardly
> >> claim that Scotland is a "better" country than the US because of it.
> >> Nor could I claim it as a personal achievement, as you seem to.
> >
> >Keep dreaming.... without Tesla none of these electronic marvels would
> >have happened.
>
> Electric steam engines? Nice one!

How about the air brake? Westinghouse paid off Tesla.
There were a lot of good scientists living in Europe that left and came
to America to get away from the naysayers that said it couldn't be
done.  Too many Austrians in academia told Tesla that AC current was
impossible.  Tesla didn't believe them.
And he proved them very wrong.

Today in this country I know of one scientist that finally made it...
Dan Bloxsom.
He used to work for LockHeed Aircraft with other scientists looking for
a better windtunnel to test super-sonic airframes with.  The senior
staff wouldn't listen to him so he started his own business and
developed a better way to test air-frames up to mach 50.  He latter
patented his device.  The device was a large vacuum chamber and a great
big 2 farad capacitor bank that discharged quickly into this large
vacumm chamber... the target model was at the other end and he used a
FastTex camera to take pictures of the results.  Later he ditched the
FastTex camera and sprayed the models with flat black Krylon paint that
changed into varying colors after the discharge.  He could then at his
leisure map out the hot spots on the air-frame by observing the
different colors.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mark)
Subject: Re: More funny stuff.
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 21:59:25 +0100

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Burkhard Wölfel wrote:

>Ayende Rahien wrote:
>>
>> "mlw" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>> > The irony about this sort of thing is, as the UI wonks debate what *is*
>> > intuitive, they fail to realize that a computer simply is *not* intuitive.
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>> Well, this guy should know more about this than I do.
>> http://www.asktog.com/columns/006intuitvsfamiliar.html
>>
>> And here is just something to heat the discussion:
>> http://www.asktog.com/columns/002advicetoapple.html
>>
>> > A computer can not be as easy to use as a Microwave, unless of course, it
>> is a
>> > Microwave.
>>
>> I agree with you, a computer is a general purpose machine, as such, it's
>> naturally more complex than a single purpose machine.
>
>That's why I love linux. It doesn't pretend to be as easy as a toilet. I
>especially like the style of the documentation. For me, it is the
>intuitive approach "at second glance".

Ah, now here's a thought - what would the microsoft toilet be like?

--
Mark Kent

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mark)
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Microsoft - WE DELETE YOU!
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 21:58:40 +0100

In article <3b2612aa$0$94313$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Chad Myers wrote:

>"GreyCloud" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
>> >
>> > In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Ed Allen
>> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>> >  wrote
>> > on Sun, 10 Jun 2001 01:01:16 GMT

>> > I'm not sure I do; the word sounds like it trips over its own
>> > shoelaces.
>> >
>> > Multiple times.
>> >
>> > But it does seem to be an appropriate metaphor for Windows, which
>> > doesn't have shoelaces but still manages to trip over them
>> > multiple times...
>> >
>> > :-)
>> >
>> > (Pedant point: how about "Windowsinista"?  Still pertty trippy, though.)
>> >
>> Lets try Windanista.
>
>It's not quite the same. You don't have rabid moronic Windows guerillas
>who set up web sites to flame Linux in the droves that you do the
>other way around. Windows advocates typically like Windows, keep the
>Penguinistas from spreading too many lies, and extol the virtues of
>Windows once in awhile. They have nothing to prove because they
>just want to use what's right. Penguinistas, OTOH, earned the title
>because of their militant and underground nature of attack, propaganda,
>and flame.

Microsoft executives spout an amazing range of lies about linux,
the GPL, free software, etc. etc.  These need to be countered.

Microsoft has amazing resources available, which includes access
to a huge range of media outlets, professional spin organisations,
and a very large astroturfing section.

Linux only has the net.  This group is a linux advocacy group,
that's why it has linux advocacy in it, it should come as no
surprise to anyone spending any time here.  The title is clear,
unambiguous, and you get exactly what it says you will.
There are, however, some folk here who appear confused about
this.  By and large, the confused do seem to be astroturfers
for Microsoft.

Astroturfing is one of the most unpleasant aspects of the
commercialisation of the internet.

Linux advocates come in a huge range of flavours, as you'd expect
from it's ever widening user-base.  Linux advocacy encompasses
passion, facts, opinions, anecdotes, all honestly brought by
people who are sick of Microsoft's business practises, poor
products, poor treatment of customers, and, well, lies about
their favourite OS.

If you don't like it here, why not go somewhere else?

======
Mark Kent

------------------------------

From: Michael Vester <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: So what software is the NYSE running ?
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 08:27:38 -0700

Rex Ballard wrote:

<snip>
> Microsoft wouldn't want the risk, the liability, or the bad press if
> something
> went wrong.  Microsoft has many "high-profile/low-risk" chores on a
> number of
> sites.  But when it comes to moving real money and accepting real
> liability,
> they run for cover.
>
> --
> Rex Ballard
> It Architect
> http://www.open4success.com

Exactly the reason that Microsoft would not attempt a fool hardy project
like converting NASDAQ to losedos. They still have not proven that Hotmail
is running 100% on losedos.  Speaking of Hotmail, I have abandoned my
Hotmail account because it was unavailable too many times.  If converting
Hotmail, which is simply web enabled email, was such a difficult task; how
could they possibly convert NASDAQ to losedos? In a 6 1/2 hour trading day
with 2 billion trades (a real busy day), the system has to process 85,470
trades per second.  Of course, trading is done with mainframe, not
losedos.

--
Michael Vester
A credible Linux advocate

"The avalanche has started, it is
too late for the pebbles to vote"
Kosh, Vorlon Ambassador to Babylon 5

------------------------------

From: Ed Cogburn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 18:01:59 -0400

Aaron R. Kulkis wrote:

> Matthew Gardiner wrote:
>
> I'm not trying to prove anything.  I'm just goddamned sick and tired of
> every loser in this country fucking up their life....all on their own,
> and then whining and whining until the fool assholes in Congress say,
> "There, there....have some of the TAXPAYER'S MONEY...", taking even
> more out of my pocket.

Which has what to do with how AIDS is spreading?  What does this have to
do with AIDS period?  The only taxpayer money involved with AIDS is the
research grant money spent on medica research, and conservatives have
made sure that its not a whole lot.

> Enough of this nonsense.

Yes, please, shut up you idiot.

> Screw them.  In this day and age, if you have AIDS, you're an idiot,
> and should be just lined up against the wall and shot, just on principle,
> for being such a fucking dumbass.

It don't take a genius to figure out that Aaron doesn't give a damn
about anyone else but himself.

From: Peter Hayes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft
Subject: Re: Will MS get away with this one?
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 22:57:56 +0100

On Sun, 10 Jun 2001 17:08:26 -0600, Dave Martel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> On Sun, 10 Jun 2001 18:14:34 +0100, Peter Hayes
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >Who were the major players in the early 80's home/office computing market?
> >IBM/Microsoft with their PC/XT and Apple with the Lisa and Macintosh. DOS
> >and, later, Windows, together with the cloning of the IBM BIOS outcompeted
> >Apple's closed expensive hardware/software solution.
> >
> >Be ever so slightly grateful to IBM/Microsoft, else we'd be hostage to
> >Apple. With their closed architecture Apple would be far more predatory than
> >Microsoft.
>
> I don't think so. Apple's always been too disorganized to dominate the
> market for long.

Not so disorganised that they don't sue at the drop of a perceived patent or
copyright infringement.

> Take away IBM/Microsoft and I believe we would have
> seen true competition.

>From whom?

Peter

------------------------------

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.arch,misc.invest.stocks
Subject: Re: The beginning of the end for microsoft
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 14:57:42 -0700

Jan Vorbrueggen wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Maynard Handley) writes:
>
> > I've been reading the followup to my message in bizarre amazement.
> > Did no-one actually understand my point?
>
> Oh yes, we have.
>
> > The issue is NOT "how do I back up the system and then restore it to the
> > same or an equivalent system"?
> > The issue is, imagine I have a system that I've used for 4 years. It has
> > on it maybe two hundred app, perhaps twenty of them commercial, the rest
> > free/shareware. The apps have installed shared libs in various places,
> > prefs in various places, help files and dictionaries and file translator
> > plugins in various places. In addition various pieces of hardware (NTSC
> > capture card eg) have installed their crud in various places.
>
> Get a real OS that doesn't try to emulate a program loader such as MS-DOS.
> For instance, try VMS. (Soon, you will be able to do so again, on your PC
> running Windows to boot 8-).)
>
>         Jan

Now you're talking...:-)  I'm still waiting on shipment of a used VAX
4000.
The guy said it has Vax Fortran and C installed on it. I think he said
it was VMS 6.2.
When I get it I'll be looking for a larger SCSI hard drive for it in the
1 inch height restriction.  Then I need to find at least a VT-330 or 340
series terminal.  I like those better than using a PC emulator.