From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: MS to Enforce Registration - or Else
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 20:33:07 -0500

Edward Rosten wrote:

> >> I disagree. What about the welfare state? Safety critical public
> >> services
> >> (eg Air traffic control*) etc?
> >>

> >> * This is more of a problem in the UK than the US since the skies are
> >> much more crowded due to a rather smaller quantity of it.
> >
> > And they're going to privatise it, despite
> >
> > a) having condemned air privatisation while in opposition,
> >
> > and
> >
> > b) having not learned a single lesson of the rail privatisation fiasco.
> >

> You wonder how they seem able to justify it to them selves to tell bare
> faced lies, and how they want to mindlessly presue party dogma despite
> mounting evidence that is is crazy. If it goes through, then the fisrt
> big air crash will probably see them out at the end of ofice.
>
> -Ed

So, you're saying that government ownership prevents crashes?

Spot the idiocy.

> --
>                                                      | u98ejr
>                                                      | @
>              Share, and enjoy.                       | eng.ox
>                                                      | .ac.uk

L: "meow" is yet another anonymous coward who does nothing
   but write stupid nonsense about his intellectual superiors.

K: Truth in advertising:
        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: State of linux distros
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 20:36:55 -0500

Reefer wrote:

> "Aaron Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> skrev i meddelandet
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>
> > You should quit smoking your nickname...
>
> If u cant say anything that makes any sense ...dont say it!

Your marijuana-induced fog of non-comprehension problem is not my problem.

L: "meow" is yet another anonymous coward who does nothing
   but write stupid nonsense about his intellectual superiors.

K: Truth in advertising:
        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft
Subject: Re: RTFM at M$
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 20:37:45 -0500

Bob Hauck wrote:

> On Mon, 26 Feb 2001 04:14:28 GMT, T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> >Said Erik Funkenbusch in alt.destroy.microsoft on Sun, 25 Feb 2001
>
> >> I first heard of Smurf attacks almost 3 years ago.
>
> > Such an "attack" is only possible if you have *no* firewalling.
> > Simply ensuring that a single router won't pass packets with obviously
> > bogus source addresses is 100% protection.
>
> You're missing something there Max.  The source addresses aren't bogus,
> they are just not the ones from which the initial ping actually came.
>
> You're right that any competent network admin will not allow such forged
> packets to leave his network.  But there are a lot of incompetent admins
> out there whose network can be used to launch this attack, so a
> defense-in-depth strategy makes a lot of sense.
>
> You've got to be careful arguing with Erik.  He does have a few clues.

For example....just last week, he figured out how to use the toilet
as opposed to soiling his underwear.

> --
>  -| Bob Hauck
>  -| Codem Systems, Inc.
>  -| http://www.codem.com/

L: "meow" is yet another anonymous coward who does nothing
   but write stupid nonsense about his intellectual superiors.

K: Truth in advertising:
        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Gergo Barany)
Crossposted-To: comp.lang.c
Subject: Re: [OT] .sig
Date: 27 Feb 2001 01:37:28 GMT

Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Joona I Palaste wrote:
> >
> > And by the way, Aaron - "defending your country" does not qualify as a
> > reason.
>
> What part of United States Army do you not understand?

Its significance to this discussion.

> The US Army defends the US Constitution, which secures my right,
> by virtue of being in the US, to say anything I damn well please
> on USENET or any other place.

Usenet, and "any other place", are not in the US, therefore US law
does not apply here. The community's standards are the rules that
count. The community standard is a signature of no more than 4 lines
(though one or two more are tolerated), so you really just make an
ass of yourself. And you're not doing the US Army any favor by
dragging it into this, either.

Gergo

--
The meek shall inherit the earth; the rest of us will go to the stars.

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Time for a Windows reinstall!
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 20:54:45 -0500

Joel Barnett wrote:

> "Aaron Ginn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >
> > Well, I've finally run into a problem with Windows that I can't
> > solve.  Yesterday, I was copying a CD on Windows using Nero.  During
> > the copy, I saved the ripped image to disk and then copied to my new
> > CD.  Nero was supposed to delete the CD image after the write but it
> > didn't.  Yesterday, my C: drive filled up because the CD image was not
> > deleted.  Now I'm having all kinds of problems with Windows, the most
> > annoying of which is that my scanning software does not see my scanner
> > anymore.  I used the scanner before the CD write and it worked fine.
> > Now I can't get the software to even find it.  I tried reinstalling
> > the drivers, changing the BIOS settings on the parallel port, and
> > changing the cable connection to every possible configuration.
> > Nothing worked.
> >
> > I've had Windows on this computer for almost two years without a
> > reinstall, so I'm actually surprised it has lasted this long.
> > Performance has reached an absolute low: cursor pauses of about 5-10
> > seconds, 3-4 blue screens a day, the inability to run more than one
> > program at a time without completely locking up the computer.
> >
> > If anyone has any suggestions, I'd be happy to hear them.  My last
> > hope is to run Scandisk and Disk Defragment in hopes that the problem
> > will fix itself somehow, but I'm not confident.
> >
> > I actually don't hate Microsoft.  I just think it's ridiculous that a
> > software company with so much cash and so many talented programmers
> > could churn out such shoddy products.  Even though Linux has fewer
> > apps available, at least it's built on a solid foundation.  Windows is
> > the house built on sand.
>
> If I understand you correctly, you are saying that  a third party software
> pkg called Nero screwed up and filled up your HDD. Now your pc runs slow and
> you blame MS for this. How is MS to blame for this ?

Because they system integrity can be fucked up by a 3rd-party user app.

No user-level process on a PROPERLY DESIGNED OPERATING SYTEM (such
as Unix, Linux, VMS, VM/CMS, PROCSY) can cause such a sequence of events.

Hope the helps.

Go to college.  Major in computer systems engineering.
You'll see what I mean.

> > Aaron
> >
> > --
> > Aaron J. Ginn                    Phone: 480-814-4463
> > Motorola SemiCustom Solutions    Pager: 877-586-2318
> > 1300 N. Alma School Rd.          Fax  : 480-814-4463
> > Chandler, AZ 85226 M/D CH260     mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> jbarntt

L: "meow" is yet another anonymous coward who does nothing
   but write stupid nonsense about his intellectual superiors.

K: Truth in advertising:
        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "gary" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux,alt.destroy.microsoft
Subject: Re: Mircosoft Tax
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 01:56:28 GMT

"Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:u6rm6.101$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> "T. Max Devlin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Said Erik Funkenbusch in alt.destroy.microsoft on Sun, 25 Feb 2001
> >    [...]
> good
> Windows
> > >
> > >Funny, I can't find all those things combined for $35
> >
> > Nor can you find ME for $35, list price.  What is it, $89.99?
>
> Sorry, $50
>
> http://www.pricewatch.com/1/182/2715-1.htm

I thought we were talking about building a computer, not upgrading one?
Lowest on pricewatch for that was $85, but that's for OEM.  If you want it
retail boxed, it's $185.

Please refer to Brent's post:

> I think 89.99 would be the upgrade...from my understaning, the full
version
> is around 180.00 ...at least it was with win98.

Case in point: a copy of windows ME is less expensive than all of the items
you named.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Gergo Barany)
Crossposted-To: comp.lang.c
Subject: Re: Something Seemingly Simple.
Date: 27 Feb 2001 01:58:10 GMT

Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Micah Cowan wrote:
> >
> > And there is no definition of PI in Standard C.
>
> Standard C doesn define getc(), putc(), printf(), scanf(),

Yes it does (assuming "Standard C" means one of the incarnations of
ISO 9899 in this context, which I strongly suspect).

> read(), nor write(), either.

True, those are defined by POSIX, I believe.

> What does that have to do with anything?

Well, this subthread *is* about PI's presence in C headers. And, it
turns out, an implementation that defines a PI macro violates the
ISO C Standard. And since the ISO C Standard and related issues
are the topic of comp.lang.c, this is rather significant.

Gergo

--
Many changes of mind and mood; do not hesitate too long.

------------------------------

From: "gary" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux,alt.destroy.microsoft
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 02:01:49 GMT

> I'm not being pedantic.  The entire argument is based on a false premise.
> If some components have not reduced in price, then the argument that the
OS
> is the only component to not reduce, thus it must be a monopoly is
invalid.

Oh... CRAP!  Mitsumi has a monopoly on floppy drives because I payed the
same $10 this year as last!  Someone call the feds!

Get a crip Erik, these components have reached rock bottom prices.  Software
has not.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Scott Gardner)
Subject: Re: .NET is plain .NUTS
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 02:00:19 GMT

On 25 Feb 2001 21:20:05 -0700, Craig Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>If only one or two people pirated a piece of software, your
>statement would be correct.  There would be no way that your average
>joe could get access to a copy, and some of those 'joes' will actually
>go out an buy the original.  However, as soon as thousands are pirating
>it and it is easy to access, the 'pirate graph' becomes more fully
>connected and the time/material barrier goes down, diminishing the
>overall value of the software.  Look at Napster for proof; as the
>barrier gets low enough (which only happens because people pirate),
>the value of the product goes down.

This is exactly true.  Internet Relay Chat (IRC) has been around for
years, and people have been trading .WAV files on IRC for years.
Napster has done for music trading what AOL has done for internet
access.  It's made it so easy that even the brain-dead can do it,  so
people have flocked to it in huge numbers.

Scott

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry Porter)
Subject: Re: Who writes open source software?
Date: 27 Feb 2001 02:03:46 GMT

On Mon, 26 Feb 2001 09:41:26 -0500, suppose <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Just curious. I'm in the commercial software development business and wonder
>who writes open source?
I write Free Software (similar to "open source")

> Is it students? Professors? Hobbyists?
In my case its the self employed.

> Who is
>supporting their efforts?
My customers.

> How do they find the time?
It's a matter of making time, for instance when I needed a programmer for
various embedded microprocessors, I designed one, and wrote the code.

The programmer was used to program a product I designed, which detects
fixed levels of solid particulate matter.

Linux enabled me to design the programmer, given the free tools for coding
and circuit design, that I use every day. Bearing that in mind, it was only
natural for me to want to give something back, hence the programmer was
posted to various ng's under the GPL or Free Software copyright.

I designed the programmer for *myself*, I just happened to give it away,
in the spirit of the GPL.

> How do the pay the
>rent?
I sell the detectors (and other designs) for $$, this pays the rent.

>I'm not trying to be a wise ass or anything - this is a serious question on
>my part.

>Stu
-

Terry