From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Has Linux anything to offer ?
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 10:58:42 -0400

"roger$@a" wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Rex says...
>
> > If you are a student who
> >would like to learn the principles of UNIX, if you are the secretary
> >of a non-profit and want
> >to put up a web-site, or if you just want to chat and e-mail, Linux
> >has some
> >really great tools to do this.
> >

> The problem is that on Linux, there is no consistant and coherant way
> with how applications work. One can't cut/paste from one app to
> another like on windows.

Middle button: copy
Left button: paste

Hope that helps.

>                            Application quality in general are less of
> those that exist on widnows.

Define quality in a way other than "has glitzy window borders"

> Let take some examples:
>
> 1. Using IE 6.0 beta, If I am on a web page, and do 'save', IE is
> smart enough not only to save the HTML page itself, but also to
> create a subdirectory with all the gif files on that page. This means
> when one views the locally saved HTML page later on, it comes up with
> all the images intact on it. There is nothing like this on Linux.
>
> 2. On windows, I can drag an image from my Visio document to my word
> document and have it show up there. There is nothing like this on linux.

OLE is incredibly buggy.  It also encourages practices, such as
this, which create non-portable data.

> 3. On Windows, when one starts a CD writes, the writes software
> automatically scans scsi and ide devices and locates the CD-W device.
> On linux, one must compile the kernel and do other hacks to get this
> to work.

Wrong.

ln -s /dev/cdrw  /dev/sdXn      (where X and n are appropriate).

Once the link is made, this stays PERMANENT.

> 4. On linux, each distro has it own way interface and methods of how
> to configure and update the system.

Wrong.  You can ALWAYS edit the config files by hand....which is
actually very easy because they are all documented...usually with
comment lines within the config file itself.  Complete documentation
is immediately by just typing   man [config_filename]   in another
terminal window.

>                                        On Widnows there is one way.
                                                            ^
                                YOu forgot the word "deficient"

> 5. On linux, it is still very hard to get a system working using
> anti-aliased fonts, without more user hacks and configurations. On
> windows, it comes build in and the user has to do nothing more.

That statement is obsolete.

> 6. Printing on Linux is broke. On widnows, setting up a printer requires
> no hacks as on linux. It just works.

Flat out lie.  Printing on Windows doesn't even exist until you do
a reboot, an install, and another reboot.  IT DOESN'T WORK.

On Linux, the printer is auto-detected during the OS install, and is
ready IMMEDIATELY...IT JUST WORKS.

> 7. On Linux, there are many different desktop environments, each work
> differently. Applications written for one, might not work as expected
> on another. On windows, there is one way to do it, making developer life
> much simpler and users are familiar with how GUI applications are expected
> to behave.

Boooooooo hoooooooo hoooooooooo.  People can have a choice.

Is that the rationale for Mafia$ofts illegal exclusion of WordPerfect as
a pre-installed product...how DARE people use alternative products! ?!?!?!

> >PERL, Python, PHP, and other scripting languages, combined with KDE
> >and GNOME components have made it very easy to obtain programs that
> >can be packaged quite creatively.
>
> PERL, python, PHP all exist on windows.

Yes, but due to windows' crippled kernals, many sections of code
need to be totally re-written to keep the code just as functional.

> >> Are CD-R and CD-RW easier to configure and use with Linux?
> >

> >This depends or your system.  Linux sports multiple "toasters", and
> >the set-up for the read-write is a bit more involved.  On the other
> >hand, the EZ-CD Creator
> >used on most Windows CD-ROM burners costs over $100 retail.
> >

> CD writer devices come with a FREE cdwrites software  packages
> with it in the box, (for windows of course).

Only because Mafia$oft is ILLEGALLY prohibiting the manufacturers
from providing Linux software.

> >> Is the support for Display Cards, DVD, Sound Cards, Large Hard Drives and
> >> Printers better?
>

> >For the products that advertise Linux compatibility, the support is
> >usually
> >quite good.
>
> There is no commerical DVD player for linux. What is there is
> mostly hacks that does not support half of what a commercial
> DVD players on widnows support.
>

> >Some people like it because they like having the power and stability
> >of a UNIX system.
>
> win2k is VERY stable. The stability claim is getting too old now.
> need to find a new one.
>

> In summary:
> -----------
> The Linux KERNEL is good. No one can argue about that. But to have
> an OS for the end user has nothing to do with the KERNEL. The
> main problem with Linux as and end user, is that there is no overall
> guiding strategy and design to drive it. Each linux group decide to make
> something as they please, a new Linux flavour is out each month. We now
> have 75 Linux distro and counting. No standard way to do anything. From
> application installation to printer setup to configuring the network.
>
> It is like being in the kitchen with 20 cooks making one big dinner. Each
> want to do the dinner their own way.

You have just displayed your complete lack of understanding of
modularity and layering.

> Unless this is fundemantly chaned, linux will never compete with windows
> on the desktop. windows still claims 90% of the desktop. The reason is
> simple. It is simple to use and consistant in the way it works.
>
> Making something simple and easy to use is something the Linux advocates
> find very hard to understand. Users do not want 20 different ways to do
> the same thing. Users want the OS to hide the complixity of the machine
> from them. Users want an OS that is easy to configure and manage and use.
>
> So far, windows is winning in this area, if it were not, it would not
> have 90% market share. (of course, you will blame this on MS marketing,
> right?)

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

misc.survivalism,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,soc.singles,alt.society.liberalism,talk.politics.guns
From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Communism, Communist propagandists in the US...still..to this day.
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 15:06:19 GMT

   Aaron> Mathew wrote:

   >> > both are built on state control of the economy and setting certain
   >> > groups up as elitists leaders.  Germany had Hitler; Italy has Mussolini
   >> > and russia had Stalin.
   >>
   >> So notorious Latin American, fascist dictators, such as Pinochet,were
   >> really communists.

   Aaron> Spot the strawman....

   Aaron> You don't seem to get it, do you

   Aaron> Communism and Nazism are ideological "kissing cousins".

Actually they have very different _ideologies_, it is the
practice that is almost identical.

Fascism is totalitarian in its ideology, communism is not.  However
to get anywhere close to a communist economy the government has to
become highly totalitarian.

As it is practice that counts, the ideological difference is not
relevant except in theory.

   Aaron> That doesn't meant that they are the same...it means that they
   Aaron> are closer to each other, in ideology, in form, and in practice,
   Aaron> than either one is ANY other form of governance.

I am not exactly sure how you distinguish "form" and "practice".

--
Andrew Hall
(Now reading Usenet in alt.fan.rush-limbaugh...)

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 11:01:48 -0400

"roger#@!" wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Rex says...
>

> >Linux on the other hand starts about 300 processes because it
> >functions as
> >both a client and a server.
>
> Yet, there is not consistant way to manage these services on linux.

That's strange, i manage those services on my Linux machines the
same way I do on HP-UX machines which is also the same way as on
Solaris, AIX, SGI, and Sequent machines.

> On widows, one can use the services console to stop and start services.

What a joke.

> On linux, there is not a standard and easy way to do this.

/etc/init.d/[servicename]  start
/etc/init.d/[servicename]  stop

Its the same throughout unix.

> >People also like having a single desktop that can give them a
> >consistent
> >working environment whether it's a stand-alone system or a multitiered
> >cluster.
> >

> I see. Is this why Linux has 10 desktops to choose from each works
> and configured differently?

So, choice is a bad thing now....

you display the classic symptoms of being a mind-numbed cult-member.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: Craig Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.editors,comp.lang.java.help,comp.lang.java.programmer,comp.lang.java.softwaretools,comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Re: Need your recommendation for a full-featured text editor
Date: 11 Apr 2001 09:08:27 -0600

Roberto Selbach Teixeira <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> On Tue, 10 Apr 2001, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > The vim variant supports syntax hiliting, but it's awkward to
> > configure, and transferring your configurations (especially custom
> > color pallettes) to other machines requires much more than just
> > copying .vimrc (unfortunately).  I use the syntax hiliting on my
> > main linux development machine, but on all the other machines I just
> > use default settings.  I know I can just set some environment
> > variables, but that hasn't worked consistently from machine to
> > machine.
> >
> > OTOH, when I do serious development, I telnet the files to my
> > Windows machine and use a real editor!!
> >

> Emacs for Windows?

No, silly, *X*Emacs for Windows:

   http://www.xemacs.org/Download/win32/

(we want *colour* syntax highlighting)

In all seriousness, it's one of the first things I install when I must
use Windows as a programming platform.  That, and perl, of course.

--
It won't be long before the CPU is a card in a slot on your ATX videoboard
Craig Kelley  -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Undeniable proof that Aaron R. Kulkis is a hypocrite, and a
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 11:03:32 -0400

Chad Everett wrote:

> On Wed, 11 Apr 2001 00:19:12 -0400, Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >Chad Everett wrote:

> >> Have you written any code in the last ten years?  How about the last five
> >> years?  What about this year?
> >
> >Most of what I've done in the last 5 years has been shell scripting.
> >

> Well shell scripting is a noble activity.  Cheers.

I tend to do this:

Get a new job.  Write shell scripts to rectify all the common problems
After a couple months, write a few more shell scripts to go out and
diagnose the problems before they become "show-stoppers", which
then call the problem-rectifying scripts.

After about 6 months, I'm bored to tears, because the machines totally
take care of themselves...so, I go find a new job (and MORE $$$$)

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.