From: "Masha Ku'Inanna" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.unix.advocacy
Subject: Re: Breaking into the Unix field: FreeBSD vs Linux (RH7)
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 19:01:47 -0500

> I'm going to begin familiarizing myself w/Unix to ultimately become a Unix
> system administrator. I've got copies of FreeBSD 4.4 (&Lite) and Linux
> RedHat 7. I'd like to get some advice on a strategy to take to get into
the
> Unix Administration field.

Focus on the BSDs if you wish to learn UNIX, only because they are a direct
evolution from UNIX(tm). Some call BSD UNIX, and this is subject to debate
by others. All the UNIX variants out there are descended from AT&T's
original implimentation, and/or Berkley's variant. Some mix features of
both. Linux is a clone of UNIX, a work-alike, and never contained UNIX code
and was never directly descended from UNIX.

Besides, the BSDs run Linux binaries.

You'll also get to see two different "open-source" licenses. Linux requires
your source code be made publically available, if it is GPL'ed, whereas the
BSD one does not. In that sense, the BSD is considered by some to be the
truly "free" license, because it does not tell you what you should or should
not do with your work.

Linux is stable. FreeBSD is considered more stable by order of magnitude.
NetBSD is considered to be the most cross-platform version. OpenBSD is
considered the most secure OS in the world.

> Does anyone have any opinion/documentation on whether focusing on FreeBSD
> would be better than studying Linux (RH or other form)? I'm interested in
> focusing on Unix-oriented info that's applicable to the largest number of
> Unix-like OSes, since there are so many of them out there.

www.freebsd.org for FreeBSD, www.openbsd.org, for OpenBSD, www.bsd.org for
BSD in general, www.linux.com for linux in general, um.......Others escape
me at the moment ..

> Would it be a smart move to master the command-line commands, and then
worry
> about the GUIs later?

Learn the CLI before the GUI. You'll understand how those commands translate
to a GUI environment better.

Unlearning Windows habits can be difficult, though.

> Are the commands in Linux pretty much the same as in other Unix systems,
> like FreeBSD, Solaris, SVR4, SCO and AIX?

Some are. Options are a little different sometimes.

Best of luck. :>

------------------------------

From: Peter Hayes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Microsoft seeks government help to stop Linux
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 00:01:05 +0000

On Fri, 23 Feb 2001 00:48:51 GMT, CR Lyttle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> "Joseph T. Adams" wrote:
> >
> > In comp.os.linux.advocacy Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > :>
> > :> I wonder if we could have used that tactic at Desert Storm.....
> > :>
> > :> [.sigsnip]
> >
> > : Well, Actually, the  Iraqi soldiers started surrendering to camera crews
> > : precisely because the A-10's and B-52's WEREN'T shouting "BANG!" out the
> > : window.
> >
> > : From an interrogation of an Iraqi POW:
> >
> > : Interrogator:
> > :       "Why did you and your friends surrender?"
> > : POW:
> > :       Because of the air strikes.
> > : Interrogator:
> > :       "There were no air strikes on your unit"
> > : POW:
> > :       Yes, but we SAW the air strikes against the Republican Guards
> > :       units behind us.
> >
> > Has there ever been a war other than Vietnam in which air superiority
> > was not decisive?
> >
> > Joe
>
> In addition to much of WW II, Afghanistan. We forgot the lessons of
> history in Vietnam, the USSR forgot them in Afghanistan. People with
> personal weapons beat the super-powers with Nuclear bombs.
>
> It appears that MS has forgotten the lesson too. People with cheap
> obsolete computers defeat the giant monopoly with unlimited advertising
> budget.

That is just a crude and blatant attempt to bring
this thread back on topic  :-)

Peter

------------------------------

From: Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Judge Harry Edwards comments....
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 23:54:25 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
> http://dailynews.netscape.com/mynsnews
> /story.tmpl?table=n&cat=50300&id=200102261557000226907
>

>  The Department of Justice and 19 states argue
>  the findings of District Court Judge Thomas Penfield
>  Jackson should stand, citing evidence presented during 78
>                                  days of trial.

And yet:

http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-4954339.html

WASHINGTON--The appellate judges overseeing the latest phase of the
Microsoft antitrust case are divided over the findings of fact from U.S.
District Judge Thomas Penfield Jackson, an indication that the court may
revisit some issues in the case in a hearing Tuesday.

--
Pete
All your no fly zone are belong to us

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andrew Gabriel)
Crossposted-To:
comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc,alt.unix.alt.unix.geeks,comp.unix.sys5,comp.unix.sys5.r4,comp.unix.solaris,alt.solaris.x86,comp.unix.aix,csu.unix.aix,comp.unix.sco,comp.unix.advocacy
Date: 27 Feb 2001 23:49:02 GMT

In article <qRVm6.108$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        "Sphinx367" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>I'm going to begin familiarizing myself w/Unix to ultimately become a Unix
>system administrator. I've got copies of FreeBSD 4.4 (&Lite) and Linux
>RedHat 7. I'd like to get some advice on a strategy to take to get into the
>Unix Administration field.
>
>Does anyone have any opinion/documentation on whether focusing on FreeBSD
>would be better than studying Linux (RH or other form)? I'm interested in
>focusing on Unix-oriented info that's applicable to the largest number of
>Unix-like OSes, since there are so many of them out there.

To learn unix at a user level, it probably doesn't matter much
which unix you use. At the system management level, the differences
are more significant, and you probably want to think more about
which unix you are ultimately more likely to get a job administering.
When you get to this point, you probably need to look more in the
direction of one of the commercial unixs - ask some prospective
employers what they run.

>Would it be a smart move to master the command-line commands, and then worry
>about the GUIs later?

Yes.

>Are the commands in Linux pretty much the same as in other Unix systems,
>like FreeBSD, Solaris, SVR4, SCO and AIX?

User level, yes.

System admin level are different.
Solaris, SVR4, and some of the OS's from the former SCO are
quite similar, all being rooted in SVR4.
AIX is completely different from anything else.
Of course, knowing more than one in detail will enable you
to compare and contrast their features and relative merits.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Consultant Software Engineer

------------------------------

From: "Joel Barnett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: What the hell is MS thinking?
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 16:03:22 -0800

"Johannes Bauer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Why the hell do sysadmins use Win2k on their servers?

I use it as a terminal server for remote Windows clients using PPTP and the
MS RDP client. Works great.

>What do I need a
> GUI for to have a great server machine?
>What do I need pretty icons
> and plug & play and all that crap for?

Since I don't know what you want to do, it is difficult to answer these
questions. More info would be needed.

> Windows is just the instable version of Linux for users >who are too
> dumb to handle the real thing.

Hardly. Windows is not a version of Linux. Our W2k terminal server is not
unstable.

jbarntt

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (phil hunt)
Crossposted-To: gnu.misc.discuss,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,misc.int-property
Subject: Re: why open source software is better
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 21:02:13 +0000

On Tue, 27 Feb 2001 18:08:32 +0100, Stefaan A Eeckels <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>       [EMAIL PROTECTED] (phil hunt) writes:
>>
>> You really are a contemptable piece of slime, aren't you?
>>
>Hey Phil, what's happening to your usually reliable
>good manners?

Some people annoy me... I guess it showed though in my post.

--
*****[ Phil Hunt ***** [EMAIL PROTECTED] ]*****
"Mommy, make the nasty penguin go away." -- Jim Allchin, MS head

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (phil hunt)
Crossposted-To: gnu.misc.discuss,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,misc.int-property
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 20:58:03 +0000

On Tue, 27 Feb 2001 13:20:18 +0000, Edward Rosten <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> You can crap on about the "AUTHOR him/herself agreeing to give out the
>> source" rubbish. If everyone had to pay for Linux and the price was the
>> same or more then Windows (the price of Windows could be very elastic if
>> MS wants) it would be as dead as a Dodo from a popularity perspective.
>
>If it was not open source, Linux would be nowhere now. It's because of
>the open source nature that it is where it is.

This is true. Consider all the proprietary Unices on x86 that got
nowhere: Xenix, SCO, Minix, Coherent...

>> The only really bad thing about Windows is that it costs money. If it
>> was free Linux would not even be heard from.
>
>If Windows were free, I would not run it.

The only thing i use Windows for is playing games. I will only use
it for programming when someone pays me to do so at my normal
consulting rates.

From: Mark McIntyre <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.lang.c
Subject: Re: [OT] .sig
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 00:05:47 +0000

On Tue, 27 Feb 2001 15:10:50 GMT, chrisv <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Brent R <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>I'm an American too, and sadly I'd have to disagree. America breeds more
>>immature, online, shit-talkers than any other country online.
>
>Idiot.  That's only because there's more of us online.

I thnk the point is, there seem to be more immature online prats per
capita from the US than elsewhere. Maybe you have a policy of offering
internet access first to the dolts?

>That, and we DO have the freedoms that many countires don't.

And the relevance is? I'm fed up with this. Hitler.

comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.next.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Information wants to be free, Revisited
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Gerry)
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 18:08:31 -0600

Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> People who are too lazy to hit the "next article" key upon seeing the top
> of a .sig are tooo fucking lazy to click on a URL

It's not about lazyness...
I guess when you saw that someone disagreed with you, you stopped
reading.

Do you really think that someone who is too lazy to hit the "next
article" key and someone who is too lazy to click on a URL WON'T be lazy
enough to NOT read your uninteresting ramblings?

Did you ever think about the thousands of other people on newsgroups who
aren't one bit interested in what your signature says, but have it
thrown into their faces every time they happen to read a message by you?

> For one or two people, that might be a coincidence.
>
> For 5 or more....no...that's definitely cause and effect.

Did you ever think about WHY these people acted this way towards you?

No one's ever behaved in such a "malicious" way towards me, or most
other people I know.

> I refuse to buy into the arguments of idiots. f that's a failing, then sue
> Ime.

That's the problem though.
You automatically assume that someone who disagrees with you is an
idiot.

Idiot.

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]           http://homepage.mac.com/gbeggs/
[EMAIL PROTECTED]       http://www.GerryICQ.com/

------------------------------

From: Kevin Lacquement <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.unix.advocacy
Date: 27 Feb 2001 16:11:43 -0800

[...]

    MK> You'll also get to see two different "open-source"
    MK> licenses. Linux requires your source code be made publically
    MK> available, if it is GPL'ed, whereas the BSD one does not. In
    MK> that sense, the BSD is considered by some to be the truly
    MK> "free" license, because it does not tell you what you should
    MK> or should not do with your work.

While the other arguments you have may hold some truth, this one does
not.  It is legal to have userland software with _any_ license you
want, including completely closed-source.  The GPL requires that any
kernel-level source (eg kernel patches) must be licensed under the
GPL.

[...]

Cheers,
Kevin

--
He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of
wisdom                                         -- Gandalf the Grey

------------------------------

From: . <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,alt.linux.sux,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Subject: Re: NT vs *nix performance
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 13:14:17 +1300

> Every source that claims that MS tried multiple conversions of Hotmail to NT
> all reference the same *SINGLE* story published on less than credible news
> site with "unnamed" sources.

Cnet - Sun->NT
http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-344896.html

ZDNet - BSD->NT
http://www.zdnet.co.uk/news/2000/30/ns-17071.html

True to form with the Microsoft web site, searching for something doesn't
turn it up.  Do you have a link to microsoft.com with their most recent
official statement?

> Meanwhile, MS themselves stated specifically that no conversion was ever
> attempted.  Further, the claim was that MS tried to convert to NT within
> weeks of purchasing Hotmail.  It would have taken them months just to
> familiarize themselves with the system enough to even begin such a task, let
> alone complete and fail within weeks.

That's based on a false premise... MS would be quite capable of fucking
up the conversion in just a couple of weeks.  A sane programmer wouldn't
attempt it without reading and understanding the source code, but sanity
is a bit short in some areas.

------------------------------

From: Mark McIntyre <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.lang.c
Subject: Re: [OT] .sig (was: Something Seemingly Simple.)
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 00:12:35 +0000

On Tue, 27 Feb 2001 13:15:19 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Lawrence
Kirby) wrote:

>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [EMAIL PROTECTED] "Aaron Kulkis" writes:

>>Complete bozos are not given security clearances nor allowed to even
>>seeh, let alone use military code books.

ROFL. Is Aaron asserting that field officers can't see codebooks,
unless they're also smart? Sheesh !

>Given the number of high-ranking miliary officers that have over the
>years proven to be "complete bozos" this statement is, to say the least,
>naive.

Starting with Olly North...

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: State of linux distros
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 19:15:32 -0500

Reefer wrote:

> "Aaron Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> skrev i meddelandet
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Translation:
> >
> > Reefer was hitting the bong so often he never noticed that BSOD's.
>
> That was a OS that u could some productive work with, but u wouldnt know
> anything about that, would u Kulkis?, i mean
> -after all, what was Linsux in 93? kernel 0.01 or something,
> hardwaresupport? LOOOOLLLL...!!!!!!!

Translation:  Linux has accomplished more crossed more computational
hurdles in 7 years than Mafia$oft has in 25.

> A shell and emacs....very good to do ...erhhh...nothing on....

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Breaking up is so very hard to do...
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 19:17:17 -0500

Pete Goodwin wrote:

> The trial of Microsoft has resumed and...
>
> http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-4966807.html
>
> Taken from the article:
> -----------------------
> The severe questioning of Jackson's comments and his decision led some
> experts to conclude that Microsoft stands a good chance of having parts
> of the breakup order overturned or sent back to the trial court.
>
> "Overall, things did not go well for the government," said law professor
> Kovacic, who concluded that the court will rip up Jackson's 1999
> "findings of fact." The findings, which are a judge's distillation of
> what was proven true at trial, is typically sacrosanct.
>
> "It's clear Jackson will not get the benefit of the doubt typically
> afforded trial judges," Kovacic said. There is "absolutely no way" that
> Microsoft will be broken up.
> ---------------------------
>
> Will they break up Microsoft or won't they?
>
> On the "Findings of Fact" issue:
>
> http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-4954339.html
>
> Taken from the article:
>
> WASHINGTON--The appellate judges overseeing the latest phase of the
> Microsoft antitrust case are divided over the findings of fact from U.S.
> District Judge Thomas Penfield Jackson, an indication that the court may
> revisit some issues in the case in a hearing Tuesday.
> -------------------

Previous Supreme Court decisions say nothing bad about Judge Jackson's
behavior nor post-testimony comments.

> Are they findings of fact, or aren't they?
>
> --
> Pete
> All your no fly zone are belong to us

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 19:18:14 -0500

Peter Hayes wrote:

> On Fri, 23 Feb 2001 00:48:51 GMT, CR Lyttle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > "Joseph T. Adams" wrote:
> > >
> > > In comp.os.linux.advocacy Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > :>
> > > :> I wonder if we could have used that tactic at Desert Storm.....
> > > :>
> > > :> [.sigsnip]
> > >
> > > : Well, Actually, the  Iraqi soldiers started surrendering to camera crews
> > > : precisely because the A-10's and B-52's WEREN'T shouting "BANG!" out the
> > > : window.
> > >
> > > : From an interrogation of an Iraqi POW:
> > >
> > > : Interrogator:
> > > :       "Why did you and your friends surrender?"
> > > : POW:
> > > :       Because of the air strikes.
> > > : Interrogator:
> > > :       "There were no air strikes on your unit"
> > > : POW:
> > > :       Yes, but we SAW the air strikes against the Republican Guards
> > > :       units behind us.
> > >
> > > Has there ever been a war other than Vietnam in which air superiority
> > > was not decisive?
> > >
> > > Joe
> >
> > In addition to much of WW II, Afghanistan. We forgot the lessons of
> > history in Vietnam, the USSR forgot them in Afghanistan. People with
> > personal weapons beat the super-powers with Nuclear bombs.
> >
> > It appears that MS has forgotten the lesson too. People with cheap
> > obsolete computers defeat the giant monopoly with unlimited advertising
> > budget.
>
> That is just a crude and blatant attempt to bring
> this thread back on topic  :-)

It's an OUTRAGE!

> Peter

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.lang.c
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 19:19:40 -0500

Mark McIntyre wrote:

> On Tue, 27 Feb 2001 15:10:50 GMT, chrisv <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >Brent R <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> >>I'm an American too, and sadly I'd have to disagree. America breeds more
> >>immature, online, shit-talkers than any other country online.
> >
> >Idiot.  That's only because there's more of us online.
>
> I thnk the point is, there seem to be more immature online prats per
> capita from the US than elsewhere. Maybe you have a policy of offering
> internet access first to the dolts?
>
> >That, and we DO have the freedoms that many countires don't.
>
> And the relevance is? I'm fed up with this. Hitler.

Idiot, that is insufficient to even come close to Godwin's theory.

> --
> CLC FAQ <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/C-faq/top.html>

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Reefer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 00:23:27 GMT

"Aaron Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> skrev i meddelandet
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> Translation:  Linux has accomplished more crossed more computational
> hurdles in 7 years than Mafia$oft has in 25.

Sorry Hulk...u got it wrong again...try one more time...

Microsoft stands for; Innovation and technical progress, *nix stands for;
backwards mentality, used only by those
who are re-living the 70:s....got it?