Linux-Advocacy Digest #539, Volume #33           Thu, 12 Apr 01 10:13:05 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Has Linux anything to offer ? (Richard Thrippleton)
  Re: Need your recommendation for a full-featured text editor (Ken Tough)
  Re: What Linux console? (Brian Langenberger)
  Re: Blame it all on Microsoft (Neil Cerutti)
  Re: OT: Treason (was Re: Communism) (chrisv)
  Re: OT: Treason (was Re: Communism) (chrisv)
  Re: Communism, Communist propagandists in the US...still..to this day. (chrisv)
  Re: What Linux console? (Richard Thrippleton)
  Re: Blame it all on Microsoft (Neil Cerutti)
  Re: Blame it all on Microsoft ("peter_douglass")
  SUN Releases StarOffice Code for OSX - (Oxford)
  Re: Linux.org, gnome.org and linux.com (Matthias Warkus)
  Re: OT: Treason (was Re: Communism) (jim dutton)
  Re: OT: Treason (was Re: Communism) (jim dutton)
  Re: Has Linux anything to offer ? (Neil Cerutti)
  they should have used w2k or nt ("tony roth")
  Re: Communism, Communist propagandists in the US...still..to this day. (Rob
Robertson)
  Re: Baseball (Matt Kennel)
  Re: Baseball (Matt Kennel)
  Re: lack of linux billionaires explained in one easy message (Matt Kennel)
  Re: Java, the "Dot-Com" Language? (Matt Kennel)
  Re: Communism, Communist propagandists in the US...still..to this day. (Matt Kennel)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Richard Thrippleton)
Subject: Re: Has Linux anything to offer ?
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 13:26:32 +0000

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, roger#@! wrote:
>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Rex says...
>

>>Linux on the other hand starts about 300 processes because it
>>functions as
>>both a client and a server.
>
>Yet, there is not consistant way to manage these services on linux.
>On widows, one can use the services console to stop and start services.
>On linux, there is not a standard and easy way to do this.
        Editing inetd.conf will stop inetd spawned services. You can start
them the same way as well..... (don't forget HUPing inetd). It's a very
pleasant and neat little file. If two commands are too much for you, you
could even make a little shell script that HUPed as soon as you exited the
editor.
        Standalone servers can be stopped and started by applying the 'stop'
or 'start' parameter to the appropriate script in /etc/rc.... Though I
consider this the wussy alternative to 'killall httpd' :)

>>People also like having a single desktop that can give them a
>>consistent
>>working environment whether it's a stand-alone system or a multitiered
>>cluster.
>>

>I see. Is this why Linux has 10 desktops to choose from each works
>and configured differently?
        Yes, that's why people >like having a single desktop<. If there was
only one, chances are that many wouldn't like the one they had! People
get to choose their desktop/window manager, hence they probably like it. If
they didn't work differently then there goes the whole bonus of choice. It's
consistent because if they do like it then they'll stick with it. I'm quite
loyal to GNU Screen myself.
        In short, choice is a good thing (compare old USSR with the rest of
the world).

Richard

------------------------------

From: Ken Tough <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.comp.shareware.programmer,comp.editors,comp.lang.java.help,comp.lang.java.programmer,comp.lang.java.softwaretools,comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Re: Need your recommendation for a full-featured text editor
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 16:00:27 -0400

Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Roberto Selbach Teixeira wrote:

>> Pressing lots of ESC's followed by ":q!<Ret>" will quit the damn thing.
>
>ONE Escape is sufficient.

provided you haven't just pressed cntl-V.

By the way, do the world a favour and put your impenetrable
.sig on a web page somewhere, and replace it with a link.
--
Ken Tough

------------------------------

From: Brian Langenberger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: What Linux console?
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 12:56:55 +0000 (UTC)

Nigel Feltham <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
:> Microsoft has one advantage that Sega didn't.  It will be a breeze for
:> developers to port between the X-Box and Windows (and vice versa).  This
:> will be very attractive to many game makers, since they can kill two birds
:> with one stone.
:>

: Doesn't the Dreamcast run WinCE then as often reported?

The OS of Dreamcast games is on the same disc as the games themselves.
A small handful of them (mostly launch titles) use WinCE, but the
vast majority use Sega's own OS (codenamed Shinobi) instead.

: Don't forget that if you buy an X-Box you don't need to run windows on it -
: I am sure someone will produce an X-box Linux distro, why waste money
: designing your own hardware when you can just port your OS to someone
: else's hardware (just like MS have been doing for years).

I expect someone will have a Linux port to the X-Box within weeks of its
launch :)  Programming for it is likely to be pretty easy, the only
problem is trying to get enough talanted artists together to make a
game.  Of course, if one *has* a bunch of artists and designers
ready to make a game, it's probably a good idea just to shell out for
the development kits anyway...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Neil Cerutti)
Crossposted-To: comp.theory,comp.arch,comp.object
Subject: Re: Blame it all on Microsoft
Date: 12 Apr 2001 12:57:29 GMT

Jerry Coffin posted:
>In article <LX7B6.2025$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, amolitor-at@visi-
>dot-com.com says...
>
>[ ... ]
>
>>      As I assume lots of people will tell you, there is no
>>      technical reason why garbage collected systems cannot
>>      outperform explicitly allocated systems.
>
>Actually, there's quite a bit of reason.  At the very least
>every GC has to carry out essentially the same operation for
>marking objects that are still in use.  This is linear on the
>number of objects currently visible in the system.  Since you
>have to visit each object that's visible at least once to mark
>it as in use, there's essentially no getting away from it
>remaining linear.

I don't understand why this debate is going on. The reason AGC was
invented was to make software more robust and easier to
implement, not to make software run faster. Sure, driving my
automatic isn't as exhilirating, but I'm very unlikely to grind
the gears.

--
Neil Cerutti <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

------------------------------

From: chrisv <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,us.military.army,soc.singles
Subject: Re: OT: Treason (was Re: Communism)
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 12:58:11 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Roberto Alsina) wrote:

>Roger Perkins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>Roberto, you miss - again - the point.  I came back out of my concern for
>>you.  Your obvious naiveté and lack of understanding for complex issues
>>worries me. I hope to explain some of how the world works to you but it's
>>just difficult to get you to grasp the point.  Not to mention the fact that
>>you have no desire to learn.
>
>You know, it's amazing how you can insult without actually saying anything.
>
>>Sorry, son.  You are just becoming another dumb ass on the net.
>
>Well, continued exposure to the likes of you surely help the process.
>Someone that apparently has not learned to post properly after years
>of usenet experience is noone whose opinion can scratch my ego.

These guys are right, Roberto.  The quality of your posts have
plummeted to the level of "argumentive idiot."  You used to do better,
I think.  What happened?

------------------------------

From: chrisv <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,us.military.army,soc.singles
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 12:59:50 GMT

"Joseph T. Adams" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>First of all, God has only two main rules, according to Jesus.  First
>is to love Him.  Second is to love your neighbor.
>
>I don't think those are unreasonable requests.

My neighbor is a jerk.

8)

------------------------------

From: chrisv <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
misc.survivalism,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,soc.singles,alt.society.liberalism,talk.politics.guns
Subject: Re: Communism, Communist propagandists in the US...still..to this day.
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 13:04:48 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (silverback) wrote:

>Hitler cut the taxes of the rich so did raygun.
>Hitler raised the taxes of the poor so did raygun
>Hitler cut corporate taxes so did raygun.
>Hitler cut welfare programs so did raygun.
>Hitler lowered unemployment payments so did raygun.
>Hitler outlawed unions so did raygun.
>Hitler privitized large portions of the government so did raygun.
>Hitler ran on a racist program so did raygun.

Typical communist tactic.  Take a bunch of "who cares" similarities
(hey!  They both had a brain and two legs!), throw in a couple
bald-faced lies, and hope that no one catches it.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Richard Thrippleton)
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 13:30:40 +0000

In article <9b37kf$3e1$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Todd wrote:

>"Pete Goodwin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/2/18233.html
>>
>> Another Linux venture bites the dust.
>
>Yup.
>
>When I first learned about Indrema I didn't know how they could possibly
>pull it off.  I read the specs. and was quite underwhelmed.
>
>Linux needs a gaming API (the same idea as DX in Windows) to lure games
>developers.

        SDL maybe? From what I've seen it's a pretty good API, handling
sound, OpenGL, various interfaces such as X11, ggi, svgalib, fbdev,
aalib(!), all seamlessly and abstracted. Plus it's available for Windows,
making porting quite trivial. I'm not a developer though, so I might be
wrong.

Richard

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Neil Cerutti)
Crossposted-To: comp.theory,comp.arch,comp.object
Date: 12 Apr 2001 13:06:46 GMT

mlw posted:
>Jonas wrote:
>> MS Office offer alot that no one else offer. The overall
>> interaction between Microsoft products is the strenght of the
>> company.
>
>Name one feature in MS Office that isn't offered in Star Office
>or Applix.

MSOffice can create empty documents that are a few meg in size.
MSOffice can hide personal information inside it's file format
that you have no idea are in there and send that information to
Microsoft without your permission.

StarOffice can save documents in several MSOffice formats, while
MSOffice can't save anything in any StarOffice format.
StarOffice runs on several operating systems.

--
Neil Cerutti <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
*** Your mining mules have deteriorated from heavy use and cost

------------------------------

From: "peter_douglass" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 09:16:54 -0400

Phlip <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:9b3b3d$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Proclaimed Chad Everett from the mountaintops:

> > Bull.  Which Borland IDE are you talking about?  They have several.

> I logged 3 years on the BC++ 2.0 for OS/2.

> The cod-hammed thing did not even have accelerator keys for the menu
items.

> To keep my hands on the home row, I had to <Alt+F> to drop a menu, then
hit
> the hotkey of the label of the item there.

> I got so fast I sounded like a 'vi' user. When she or he's doing twice the
> work.

Just my $.02.  I used Borland development products a few years ago and liked
them.  Also, I use vi daily and don't mind it.  Extra key-strokes are not
that important IMHO.  I have on more than one occasion argued with
colleagues about the benefits of long identifiers.  The arguement against
them is always number of keystrokes.  But how much time do people spend
trying to understand code, vs keying it in?

--PeterD

------------------------------

From: Oxford <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: SUN Releases StarOffice Code for OSX -
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 08:18:13 -0500

Good news!

This Officially End's Microsoft's 5 year "LOCK" on Business Software.
Details are still forthcoming, but it seems clear, the clouds are now
lifting because of OSX.

http://porting.openoffice.org/mac/

Oxford

-

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matthias Warkus)
Subject: Re: Linux.org, gnome.org and linux.com
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 12:30:58 +0000

It was the Thu, 12 Apr 2001 15:57:58 +0800...
...and Tan Siong Hua <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>  I heard that Lnux is more stable, but I pay constant visit (every day) to
>  these 3 sites, www.linux.com, www.linux.org and www.gnome.org and the
>  gnotices in the www.gnome.org site, what I get is that these web site
>  frequently run out of order, time are I can't access this sites very often,
>  when compared t www.microsoft.com that only out of service for a very rare
>  basis, I wonder what's wrong with these Linux hosted sites, problem with
>  bandwidth? I don't know.....

Yes, exactly. Microsoft has money to pay for tons of bandwidth. As for
gnome.org, I'm rather well-informed, and bandwidth has been a
chronical problem (but so has disk space...). Free software projects
are simply not as well off as Microsoft.

news.gnome.org is notoriously flaky because it's:
- probably the most popular GNOME subsite
- nearly completely dynamic
- running antediluvial versions of Zope and Squishdot
- sometimes attacked by idiots

The version issue is supposed to be solved soon.

mawa
--
Only the Objectivists have an answer to all our problems, and it's
wrong.                                                 -- Hans Huettel

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (jim dutton)
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,us.military.army,soc.singles
Date: 12 Apr 2001 13:23:31 GMT

In article <9b3td9$mhj$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Joseph T. Adams <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>In comp.os.linux.advocacy Russianbear <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>: Bah - If there is a God he is no better than a common dictator and there is
>: NO reason at all to worship him.  Anyone who says live by my rules or be
>: punished with death or eternal damnation is an asshole.
>

>First of all, God has only two main rules, according to Jesus.  First
>is to love Him.  Second is to love your neighbor.
>
>I don't think those are unreasonable requests.
>Joe

 Are you gay and or monosexual?

 -Jeem, Seriously?

http://www.ejeem.com                            Autococker2000/Dye SS
 Steatopygias's 'R' Us.          doh#0000000005 That ain't no Hottentot.
 Sesquipedalian's 'R' Us. ZX-10. DoD#564. tbtw#6. s.s.m#8. There ain't no more
"For why should my freedom be judged by another's conscience?" --
Paul 1 Corinthians 10:29

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (jim dutton)
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,us.military.army,soc.singles
Date: 12 Apr 2001 13:26:17 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Uncle Davey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>"Joseph T. Adams" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:9b3td9$mhj$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> In comp.os.linux.advocacy Russianbear <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>wrote:
>>
>> : Bah - If there is a God he is no better than a common dictator and there
>is
>> : NO reason at all to worship him.  Anyone who says live by my rules or be
>> : punished with death or eternal damnation is an asshole.
>>

>> First of all, God has only two main rules, according to Jesus.  First
>> is to love Him.  Second is to love your neighbor.
>>
>> I don't think those are unreasonable requests.
>>

>So it's okay to have sex as long as you love God and love the person you're
>having sex with.
>Uncle Davey

  If the person is not your neighbor you don't have to even like them.

-Jeem, HTH

http://www.ejeem.com                                Autococker2000/Dye SS
 Steatopygias's 'R' Us.          doh#0000000005 That ain't no Hottentot.
 Sesquipedalian's 'R' Us. ZX-10. DoD#564. tbtw#6. s.s.m#8. There ain't no more
"The illegal we do immediately. The unconstitutional takes a little long
 er. " -- Henry Kissinger

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Neil Cerutti)
Date: 12 Apr 2001 13:32:44 GMT

Doug Patterson posted:
>Pick one and stick with it. Gnome is pretty good, if it isn't
>crashing. KDE is worthless; how can an average user figure out
>the ppp configuration porgram? Who the heck knows what PAP is?
>The help system is totally worthless...unless you are
>experienced with Linux. For a newbie like me there is no mercy.

But Doug, setting up a DialUp connection in Windows is virtually
the same (In Windows 95 it was worse). You have to choose between
PAP and several other authentication formats in Windows, too.

>I have one more to add: software installation. I downloaded
>WordPerfect 8, unzipped it, un"tar"ed it, and it refused to
>install. Oh, well. Downloaded a small GNU-license word processor
>to upgrade the early version that came with RedHat.

If you pay for a commercial release of Wordperfect I bet your
experience will be much better. How much support did you expect
for a free download? And truth be told, after a little experience
these problems won't seem large to you any more.

>I think it was Winston Churchill who said, "Democracy is the
>worst form of government, except for all the others." I think
>you could change the first clause of this to "Windows is the
>worst PC OS,..."

It must stink to feel that way.

From: "tony roth" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: they should have used w2k or nt
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 07:07:50 -0700

from redherring

"So far, though, baseball's new Web strategy has gotten off to a rocky
start. On Monday, when 28 of the league's 30 teams opened the baseball
season, MLB.com crashed numerous times and was plagued with technical
troubles throughout the day"

from netcraft
The site www.mlb.com is running Netscape-Enterprise/4.1 on Solaris.

------------------------------

From: Rob Robertson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
misc.survivalism,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,soc.singles,alt.society.liberalism,talk.politics.guns
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 09:44:50 -0400

Aaron R. Kulkis wrote:

> "Joseph T. Adams" wrote:
> >
> > In comp.os.linux.advocacy Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > : Well, when sliverdick goes to bed at night, he has nightmares that
> > : George Bush is hiding under his bed.
> >
> > : Strangely, whenever he turns on the lights, and looks under the
> > : bed....there's nothing there other than his semen-stained copies
> > : of The Communist Manifesto and other Marxist diatribes that get
> > : him all so giddy.
> >
> > That was a mental picture I think we could have lived without.  :)
> >

> It's got a centerfold of a child being taken from her parents
> to be "raised by the village"
>
> Sliverdick just goes ape over that one.

 Do you mean this one?;

http://members.nbci.com/rational1/wild/

_
RR

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matt Kennel)
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,soc.singles
Subject: Re: Baseball
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2001 01:01:05 +0000 (UTC)

On 5 Apr 2001 12:42:27 -0500, Chad Everett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
:On Thu, 5 Apr 2001 11:44:45 -0600, Anonymous <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
:>aaron wrote:
:>> Anonymous wrote:
:>> >
:>> > "Matthew Gardiner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
:>> > > Maybe Microsoft will go the full monty and deliver a stable OS for once?
:>> >
:>> > why don't you do something to make unix as easy to use as windows while
:>> > retaining the former's stability and put microsoft out of business?
:>>
:>> It's been so for well over a DECADE, jackie.
:>
:>so you're saying that in 1991 there was a unix system as easy to use as
:>windows is today?
:>riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight....
:>                         jackie 'anakin' tokeman
:>
:
:No, he said that in 1991 there was a unix that was as easy to use as
:Windows was in 1991.

No, in 1991 there was a Unix that was as easy to use as Windows is today.

--
*        Matthew B. Kennel/Institute for Nonlinear Science, UCSD
*

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matt Kennel)
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,soc.singles
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2001 00:59:57 +0000 (UTC)

Anonymous <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
:"Matthew Gardiner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
:> Maybe Microsoft will go the full monty and deliver a stable OS for once?
:
:why don't you do something to make unix as easy to use as windows while
:retaining the former's stability and put microsoft out of business?
:                         jackie 'anakin' tokeman
:
:tapping foot

It was done in 1989.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matt Kennel)
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,soc.singles
Subject: Re: lack of linux billionaires explained in one easy message
Date: Sat, 7 Apr 2001 00:26:26 +0000 (UTC)

The Danimal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
:Toby A Inkster Esq wrote:
:>
:> In our last episode, Matthew Gardiner wrote:
:>
:> :It will be rather interesting if
:> :Linux becomes the defacto standard on chinese computers, and even if Linux has a
:> :20% share in the Chinese OS market, that will equal 240 Million copies, thus
:> :definitely putting  it  a serious position.
:>
:> That assumes every citizen of China has their own PC. I think that is
:> quite an assumption.
:
:It won't be after another 5 or 10 years, as Moore's Law continues to
:pound down hardware prices.

The price/performance goes down exponentially (1/2)^(T/18mo) but the actual
price doesn't, because below a certain price it is uneconomical to produce
systems.   This is why there are no 386-level PC's being sold new for $40.

The lowest cost general purpose computers are the Palm Pilots (of that
approximate power) for $200 and they lack many features.

:Once the cost of the hardware gets down to giveaway levels, the cost
:of the software becomes pretty much the whole system cost. That's
:probably enough to motivate a lot of Chinese people to figure out
:regular expressions, shell commands, and all the other Unix arcana
:and incantations they will have to spend years of their lives mastering
:to get their "free" software to work.

I think it is greater motivation to develop mass CD-duplication technology.

Whooops!!

:The next step is to build a natural language interface capable
:of mapping arbitrary incoherent human expressions of need into
:the appropriate FAQ references. This need not happen in one step.
:Even human experts have to narrow down client needs by iteratively
:hypothesizing what the clients are gibbering about and then posing
:questions to the clients to refine their hypotheses. If the average
:human ignoramus knew how to express what he wants unambiguously
:on the first attempt he'd already be able to use a computer.
:Computers are generally difficult to use because computers are
:generally poor at communicating their capabilities and limitations
:to people, and people are poor at communicating their needs to the
:computer.** Since improving people is not a viable option in the
:short term, the only recourse is to improve the computer's ability
:to (a) explain itself to people and (b) figure out what people want to
:do.

This is research level strong AI.  50 years plus.

:--- the Danimal

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matt Kennel)
Crossposted-To: comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.arch
Subject: Re: Java, the "Dot-Com" Language?
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2001 21:09:49 +0000 (UTC)

On 04 Apr 2001 20:32:35 +0200, Jan Ingvoldstad <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
:On 05 Apr 2001 01:27:44 +0800, Paul Repacholi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
:said:
:
:> Craig Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
:>> Too bad IA32 chips run faster than Alphas now.  :)
:
:> Oh, care to point to the numbers?
:
:Intel isn't _quite_ there yet, but pretty darn close to be able to
:claim the crown.

It's interesting that in comp.lang.fortran, there are many complaints
that the Pentium IV delivers well below expectations (e.g. by SPEC)
on people's actual real life code with real life compilers, but the
AMD Athlon series delivers better than expectations in reality.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matt Kennel)
Crossposted-To:
misc.survivalism,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,soc.singles,alt.society.liberalism,talk.politics.guns
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2001 02:09:36 +0000 (UTC)

On Tue, 03 Apr 2001 14:08:03 -0400, Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
:No..the United States did *NOT* choose any totalitarians in Afghanistan.
:
:At the time we were giving support to the Afghans, there were 8 MAJOR
:factions opposing the Soviets, and numerous lesser ones.
:
:NOBODY knew which faction would consolidate when the time would come
:that the Soviets would leave.

True.

As it happens I think the Afghanis are worse off now than under a
Soviet puppet state.