From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux,alt.destroy.microsoft
Subject: Re: Windows API (Was Re: Mircosoft Tax)
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2001 22:20:36 -0600

"David Brown" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:986e6q$dd6$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Then we agree on the raw APIs of the basic system (Linux + X and
Windows) -
> both are unusable as they stand for making nice GUI programs (although
Linux
> API is fine for non-GUI stuff, while Windows API is unpleasant even for
the
> simplest of tasks).

While creating and managing windows under the raw API isn't nearly as easy
as using a framework, it's certainly nowhere near the headache that X is
when you do it raw.

------------------------------

From: "J Sloan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux Joke
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2001 04:21:16 GMT

> On Wed, 07 Mar 2001 13:56:35 GMT, Chad Myers wrote:
>>
>>>I've always maintained that Linux must have an EZ-HACK feature, judging
>>by the ease in which "hackers" compromised entire university computer
>>labs for their DDoS assault on Ebay, Amazon, Microsoft and several
>>others last summer. It was reported that a large majority of the
>>machines used in the attack were compromised Linux boxes.
>
> Put up or shut up. The box is smith203-1.rutgers.edu.
>
> My challenge to you: break in and deface the webpage. I haven't made
> that much effort to check security (besides the obvious precautions) or
> keep  it up to date.

The world awaits breathlessly this clash of titans.

> IMO the reason why Linux boxes tend to get compromised is because the
> "admins" are often not professionals.

and they run all sorts of services without knowing what they are.

> Solaris is attrocious OOTB compared to Linux (it doesn't even come with
> TCP wrappers last I checked) I'd hardly call LInux the least secure  OS
> out there. (though it's second only to NT in having incompetent admins)

Yep.

joe

------------------------------

From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux,alt.destroy.microsoft
Subject: Re: Mircosoft Tax
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2001 22:27:33 -0600

"Donovan Rebbechi" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On 7 Mar 2001 09:22:03 GMT, Bloody Viking wrote:
> >
> >Donovan Rebbechi ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> >
> >: Why should the operating system go down in price ? Has it
> >: become cheaper to design and write operating systems ?
> >
> >Yes. Mass distribution and cheap H1-B imported labour.
>
> I know some of the "cheap H1B imported labour", and they're really not
that
> cheap at all. I've seen the H1B debate raging on comp.lang.c++, and almost
> all the protectionists are a bunch of obnoxious stupid bigots who can't
get
> a job because they're barely intelligent enough to tie their own
shoelaces,
> let alone code. My SO sued to work at a place that employed H1Bs, and
> suffice it to say, they weren't "cheap" by any stretch of the imagination.

"cheap" is a relative term.  I also know lots of H1B's, and while their
salaries are generally not too far out of line with the average entry level
salaray, they live under lots of restrictions.  For instance, they're not
allowed to switch jobs.  If they lose their job, they get deported.  That
means a company can work their H1B's 10, 14, 18 hour days and the H1B has to
put up with it or go back.  Since they're salaried employees, they don't
fall under the fair labor practices rules when it comes to hours worked.

Further, a company that has a significant number of H1B's doesn't have to
worry about "fringe benefits" that many people in the industry get (Stock
Options, Ping Pong tables in the breakroom, free food, etc..).

While i'm certainly not the blather protectionist, I have seen first hand
how a company that hires mostly H1B's goes quickly to pot.

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Sometimes, when I run Windows...
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2001 23:28:43 -0500

chrisv wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donovan Rebbechi) wrote:
>
> >Done several Linux installs, on about 25 different hardware configurations,
> >including laptops, custom builds, Dell machines, and dreaded laptops.
> >Never had hardware problems with supported hardware.
>
> That's funny, I've had problems with the majority of the machines I've
> tried it on!  Examples:  Voodoo3 not supported.  Adaptec (!) SCSI card
> not supported.

Liar.

I have 3 different Adaptec SCSI cards, from low-end SCSI to the latest
SCSI Ultra160 LVD family...and they've all worked flawlessly.

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,soc.singles
Subject: Re: What does IQ measure?
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2001 23:30:43 -0500

Brent R wrote:

> Donovan Rebbechi wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, 07 Mar 2001 15:08:45 GMT, Brent R wrote:
> > >Anonymous wrote:
> > >>

> > I'll butt in here and say that IQ is certainly not a terribly reliable measure
> > of anything, but it's true that it correlates with a "intelligence", no matter
> > how you define "intelligence".
> >
> > Note that the fact that it correlates doesn't mean it's accurate. There could
> > exist a genius (however you want to define that) with an IQ of 75, and it would
> > still be true that the median IQ of your group of "geniuses" is 150 (or
> > whatever).
> >
> > In practice, it's unlikely that you'll find any sort of "genius" with an IQ
> > of under 100.
> >
> > --
> > Donovan Rebbechi * http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/ *
> > elflord at panix dot com
>
> JD Salinger had an IQ score of 115, still above average but not showing
> his true ability. To some the man is a complete genius. I also so a show
> where a man with an IQ of 75 (he's mentally disabled) could craft
> picture perfect animal replicas out of clay in very short time. His
> pieces sell for millions at some art galleries. He's also considered a
> genius.
>
> IQ measures logic and does, in general, represent how far a person will
> go in society. However I don't think that anyone should be held back by
> anything, with just a little intelligence and enough hard work you can
> accomplish anything. Don't dream it, be it.
>
> Also, it seems I have been dealt several hands of bad karma today after
> making that unwarranted attack on Aaron. I guess I will apologize now, I
> wasn't in the best of moods at the time.

No biggie.

"It's parta da game!"

> --
> Happy Trails!
>
> -Brent
>
> http://rotten168.home.att.net

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: How Microsoft Crushes the Hearts of Trolls.
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2001 23:34:46 -0500

LShaping wrote:

> "Giuliano Colla" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in
>
> > More seriously: powerful instruments are very good to save time and to
> > provide a cleaner and re-usable code, but you can't use successfully a
> > high level instrument if you don't have a good knowledge of the low
> > level ones. OOP is very good, but when you need to create a new object,
> > or to derive another from an existing one, you aren't programming with
> > objects, you're programming objects instead, and you need a good
> > knowledge of the language objects are written into. And you can't have a
> > good knowledge of a language if you don't know the sort of machine code
> > which will be produced. Usually program bottlenecks are very few and
> > very limited. For 95% of the code you don't care. But the residual 5% is
> > the one which affects overall performance. You can't ignore the
> > resulting machine code.
>
> That is a wild generalization which suggests that a high level programmer
> must not only know the machine language but also be able to redefine
> functions using machine language.  Strange, that coming from someone who
> probably is multilingual.  Obviously, Giuliano is assuming that there will
> never be progress in programming languages, that all "good" programmers will
> always be stuck messing with machine language.  Or he is assuming that
> machine language will always stay in step with high level languages.  The
> more likely scenario, if this is not already the case, it that high level
> programmers must leave the details to low level programmers.  Human
> languages certainly do not require the user to know every detail, heaven
> help us if they did.
> LShaping

What Giuliano meant, and you utterly missed, is that those who have
never written in machine code usually have no freaking clue that
setting one object "equal" to another object is often SUBSTANTIALLY
more expensive than code which achieves similar effect through
pointer manipulations,... etc., etc.

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2001 23:36:20 -0500

"." wrote:

> > That is a wild generalization which suggests that a high level programmer
> > must not only know the machine language but also be able to redefine
> > functions using machine language.  Strange, that coming from someone who
> > probably is multilingual.  Obviously, Giuliano is assuming that there will
> > never be progress in programming languages, that all "good" programmers will
> > always be stuck messing with machine language.  Or he is assuming that
> > machine language will always stay in step with high level languages.  The
> > more likely scenario, if this is not already the case, it that high level
> > programmers must leave the details to low level programmers.  Human
> > languages certainly do not require the user to know every detail, heaven
> > help us if they did.
>
> I take a not-quite-so-extremist point of view...  knowing lower levels,
> and understanding (at least in a superficial way) what the compiler is
> actually trying to create can make you a much better programmer.  I fully
> recommend every single programmer learn/be taught one flavour of
> assembler (it doesn't matter what flavour...  the concepts are the
> important thing).
>
> I've met a lot of bright programmers who actually knew sod all about the
> COMPUTER.  They get taught some logic, and a language, and they start
> programming.  I don't believe it makes them BAD programmers, just
> ignorant of some important aspects.

But that ignorance leads them to do ... stupid things...which makes
them "not nearly as good programmers as they would be if their
ignorance was removed by learning about *the computer*"

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why Open Source better be careful - The Microsoft Un-American
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2001 23:38:36 -0500

"Donal K. Fellows" wrote:

> Aaron Kulkis wrote:
> > The hybrid vehicles are just as dependant upon petroleum as before.
> >
> > They can only run on reserve electric power for short term.  In the
> > long run, their primary benefit is similar to diesel-electrics in the
> > railroad industry....allowing the motor to run closer to optimum
> > speed at as much as possible.
>
> In the past, it's not been economic to do this.  Sure it reduces running
> costs, but it pushes up the capital costs involved in the engine, and
> most people don't use their cars enough to justify the up-front payment.
> Hence, it's not been worthwhile for auto manufacturers to invest a lot in
> developing the engine technology so it is cheaper.  Let's face it, the
> energy density of petroleum is far greater than that of even the most
> modern of batteries...

Correct.  One gallon of gasoline requires several hundred gallons of
battery volume to replicate....and then the batteries have all the
additional weight of themselves...PLUS the extra structural members
for vehicle integrity, etc. etc, which makes the equation even worse...

> Of course, if the long-term price of fuel rises then the economics also
> change a lot, and fuel efficiency becomes a lot more attractive.  But
> that's obvious.  (If you were paying $100/gallon, you'd be very interested
> in using as little as possible... :^)
>
> Donal.
> --
> Donal K. Fellows    http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~fellowsd/    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> -- With a complex beast like Swing, it's not just a matter of "What button
>    should I push", but rather "How do I put myself into a nice metamorphosis
>    so that I am deemed acceptable by the Swing Gods."             -- Anonymous

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2001 23:44:58 -0500

Interconnect wrote:

> > > Oil production WILL max out - and soon. The car companies know it. THAT
> is why
> > > only now do you see petrol-electric cars on sale.
> Not True.
> There is more Oil than ever before, Siberia, Alaska, Canada. It is more
> expensive to extract however.
>
> The fuel of the future will be Fusion power.

Are you talking within the next decade?

If so, please go back to jacking off to your copy of Popular Mechanics,
Omni, or whatever juvenile trash you read.

> The US govt. will spend billions on the space station and yet they pull out
> of the international venture aimed at developing fusion power. Go figure?

Could it be because they've decided to stop throwing good money
after bad...

The problems with fusion power are *not* little technical details,
like, say, getting an automatic transmission to shift smoothly
at reasonable speed/throttle positions. .. no, the problems with
fusion have to do with fundamental forces of nuclear physics,
and the fact that those forces are IMMENSELY stronger than
the electro-magnetic force....which makes containment damn near
impossible.

After 30 years, the longs we've been able to get ANY fusion reaction
to last is on the order of microseconds.

Do you know why?

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2001 23:48:28 -0500

Bloody Viking wrote:

> Aaron Kulkis ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
>
> : On the other hand, if a better fuel source comes along, the automotive
> : industry would switch technology so fast it would make your head spin.
>
> The fun question is what that fuel will be. Sure, homesteaders run homes on
> solar and wind, and other greenie stuff. That's great and I encourage it as it
> saves fossil fuel.
>
> Now, for transportation, the ideal fuel is cheap of course, but also easy to
> get to market and store without loss. Liquid hydrocarbons is exactly that
> fuel as of now. None of the alternative energy _sources_ come close. I doubt
> the government would go for nuke-battery self-recharging electric cars. And
> the consumers wouldn't want it either, and certainly not the insurance
> companies! Unfortunately, coating a car with solar panels will not provide
> enough power to make a car self-recharge. Darn.
>
> For energy _storage media_ like hydrogen (takes more energy than you get,
> hence "storage media") you need a _source_ to have it. Breeders like crazy? I
> say yes, but we all know about the politics of nuke plants. Nukes is the long
> term solution, to power homes and factories, electric rail, etc. Hydrogen has
> the annoying problem of being awful cold, second to liquid helium.

The solution is to identify and breed bacteria which produce a lot
of oil as a waste product.

notice that if you leave some water in a bowl by the sink...after a
couple of days, it will have an oil slick.  This is from bacteria.

> The situation with car companies and petrol is sort of like Microsoft and
> Moore's Law. Car companies will suffer big time when oil supplies peak, and so
> will Microsoft suffer when computing power peaks.
>
> --
> FOOD FOR THOUGHT: 100 calories are used up in the course of a mile run.
> The USDA guidelines for dietary fibre is equal to one ounce of sawdust.
> The liver makes the vast majority of the cholesterol in your bloodstream.

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.