Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2001 08:34:12 -0700
From: Anonymous <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Mindless suicide! Rediculous Dumbasses!
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,soc.singles

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Byron A Jeff) wrote:
> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> Steve Chaney <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> -On Fri, 16 Mar 2001 17:16:42 GMT, T. Max Devlin
> -<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> -
> ->Said Steve Chaney in alt.destroy.microsoft on Fri, 16 Mar 2001 01:01:42
> ->>On Thu, 15 Mar 2001 08:42:25 GMT, J Sloan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> ->>>Anonymous wrote:
> ->>>
> ->>The problem with Linux/Unix advocates is the gigantic subset of
> ->>zealots who attack anyone who uses KDE/GNOME. They're such hypocrites
> ->>- they harp so much on CHOICE, and yet they would condemn all Linux
> ->>users to the command line.
> ->
> ->I think you're getting things backwards.  These Linux advocates harp on
> ->CHOICE, and in order to have a CHOICE, you have to know both
> ->alternatives.
> -
> -I lived on linux's command line interface for 3 years before even
> -installing X.
> -
> -
> ->  You probably got flamed for whining about having to do
> ->something from the command line;
> -
> -On the contrary, I've posted impromptu how to's on how to clean-room
> -install X, KDE and GNOME, with a tremendous amount of info on the use
> -of ldd, nm, /etc/ld.so.conf, and other utilities. I work the command
> -line like Picasso worked a brush.
> -
> -However, Suzy office worker, the people I am trying to sell on Linux,
> -will never ever as long as they live, want to deal with the command
> -line. Ever. Never. Forget it. The linux elitist faction would say
> -banish these people to Windows.
> -
> -Thank God the developers disagree. They feel Linux is for everyone.
> -And it is.
>
> I'm not sure about the "elitists" stating that these folks be banished. I
> think you get the strong resistance from the come from windows/mac users
> who state that only a GUI is required and:
>
> "Why does Linux have a CLI?"
> "Why does Linux have multiple desktops?"
> "Why is Linux difficult to install?" (note that in most instances it isn't)
> "Why does Linux allow for different configurations? What I want should be
>  good enough for everyone. Right?"
> "Why isn't Linux just like Windows?"
> "Why doesn't Linux run Office/Outlook/Free Agent/Photoshop?"
>
> In short they want to limit Linux to their expectation and their experience.
> Both which frankly are limited for most average users.

thier fault
                    jackie 'anakin' tokeman

great marketing plan ray

men fear thought as they fear nothing else on earth - more than ruin,
more even than death
- bertrand russell

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (jim dutton)
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,soc.singles
Date: 18 Mar 2001 15:54:20 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Mike  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Steve Chaney) wrote:
>
>>I believe in a choice. I don't ding anyone for living on the command
>>line interface or on the GUI or doing a little of both. I live on
>>Windowmaker or E and I have no less than FIVE open terminals doing
>>some CLI task. How's that?
>
>Very impressive!
>Mike

 He's never yet failed to impress

 -Jeem, LIke when he wrote the name on the bathroom wall.
>See P-P-P-P-P-PAT THE MOVIE! http://www.pat-acceptance.org/PAT.html

 I have i Loved it.

http://www.ejeem.com                            Autococker2000/Dye SS
 Steatopygias's 'R' Us.          doh#0000000005 That ain't no Hottentot.
 Sesquipedalian's 'R' Us. ZX-10. DoD#564. tbtw#6. s.s.m#8. There ain't no more
"For why should my freedom be judged by another's conscience?" --
Paul 1 Corinthians 10:29

From: "Paul 'Z' Ewande®" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.next.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Why can't Apple do it?
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2001 17:32:34 +0100

"Lars Träger" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

<SNIP> Some stuff </SNIP>

> Either it's his fault, or he lied in that interview. I'm fine with both

Good for you. Gates' personality or any other CEO for that matter is of no
interest whatsoever to me. I was just posting the correct information AFAICT
as to why the PC memory layout is the way it is.

> - if you "buy" anthing from him, that's our fault.

??? Didn't understand.

> Lars T.

Paul 'Z' Ewande

------------------------------

From: "Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: German armed forces ban MS software  <gloat!>
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2001 18:07:32 +0200

"mlw" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Chad Myers wrote:
> > This also means they won't use any Sun or Oracle product, or any of a
> > thousand others. I guess they did a good job martyring themselves,
> > but it's a pretty stupid move in general. Microsoft, Sun, and Oracle
> > all make very good and useful products.
> >
> > I suppose if they had conclusive proof of it, it would make sense,
> > but they don't, so it doesn't.
> >
> I think there is a confusion of who needs proof of what.
>
> It is perfectly reasonable, and correct, to require proof that something
is
> secure. It is stupid to assume something is secure unless you have
"conclusive
> proof" it is not.
>
> Microsoft provides no proof that its products are secure.
>
> Should a military organization use software which it has no proof is
secure?

> I bet Microsoft shows the source to the US military, I would also bet the
same
> is not said for the german military.

Since the german army is going to purchase more than 1500 licenses, they can
get the code and review it.
Hell, considerring how much leverage they have, they could've done so long
ago.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jay Maynard)
Crossposted-To: gnu.misc.discuss,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,misc.int-property
Subject: Re: definition of "free" for N-millionth time
Date: 18 Mar 2001 16:11:31 GMT

On 18 Mar 2001 11:20:05 +0200, -kn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>|| "Committed the GPV".  Christ; why not just put up a banner in your sig that
>|| says "ignore what this putz says; he wouldn't know an argument if you handed
>|| to him."
>| Only to an unreasoning zealot. Others will at least listen.
>| Now, how about answering the argument? What possible connection can M$'s
>| monopolistic tactics have had on RMS' creation of the GPV when they happened
>| AFTER HE DID IT?!
>are you trying to say that the rms' creation of the GPL is the reason of
>Microsoft monopolistic tactics?

Not at all. I'm merely replying to TMax's argument (the first line quoted)
that RMS commited the GPV in response to M$'s monopolistic practices.

------------------------------

From: Peter =?ISO-8859-1?Q?K=F6hlmann?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Richard Stallman what a tosser, and lies about free software
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2001 18:09:27 +0100

Tim Hanson wrote:
> Note that a couple of days have gone by and well, I'm left without a
> response.
Nope.
I would have waited until I know the last status, but I can tell you
that of the 3 libs in question 2 can be easily chaged to a LGPLd lib.
I am in charge of the project, I don´t know exactly which libs are
used, because the programmers are in the state of doing a feasability
study, the coding won´t be used afterwards. I am doing the integration
of the parts, as that´s what I have done and still do in the Win-Version.
So the project is still in the early stages. We would have lost about
8 man-weeks if we had stopped completely.
As far as I understand now (it is weekend in europe, you know) the
remaining lib is for the printing process. I did not yet speak to the
programmers (in that case 2), as I will meet them not until wednesday.
But it looks as if we can substitute other libs.

I repeat, I (and the other programmers also) were led to believe that
we can *link* again a GPLd lib. Only from this thread I learned that
even dynamically linking would require us to release the source of
our program. This is totally out of the question

Peter

--
Microsoft's Product Strategy: "It compiles, let's ship it!"

------------------------------

From: Ralph Miguel Hansen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2001 17:56:33 +0100

snip

> That makes someone a liar then, since the article states they won't use
> *ANY* american software.

snip

Linux is not american, german or british, it's international, open source
(perhaps you know the meaning) and it's well tested and documented. And I
hope, the Bundeswehr never will allow Pete Goodwin even to touch one of
their computers. And this is no decision against the american
software-industry which enjoys a good reputation in Germany, this even
doesn't aim against the NSA (which Secret Service which is worth the money
could resist to use these backdoors), this aims against the dirty tricks of
M$.

Cheers

Ralph Miguel Hansen
Using S.u.S.E. 4.3 and SuSE 7.1

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2001 12:01:38 -0500

mlw wrote:

> Chad Myers wrote:
> > This also means they won't use any Sun or Oracle product, or any of a
> > thousand others. I guess they did a good job martyring themselves,
> > but it's a pretty stupid move in general. Microsoft, Sun, and Oracle
> > all make very good and useful products.
> >
> > I suppose if they had conclusive proof of it, it would make sense,
> > but they don't, so it doesn't.
> >
> I think there is a confusion of who needs proof of what.
>
> It is perfectly reasonable, and correct, to require proof that something is
> secure. It is stupid to assume something is secure unless you have "conclusive
> proof" it is not.
>
> Microsoft provides no proof that its products are secure.
>
> Should a military organization use software which it has no proof is secure?
>
> I bet Microsoft shows the source to the US military, I would also bet the same
> is not said for the german military.

I would also bet that, if that is the case, that M$ is required to give
the source to the Department of Defense in electronic form, AND give the
military the right to modify the source code for their own internal use.

If they don't, then there should be some demotions in the Pentagon.

> --
> I'm not offering myself as an example; every life evolves by its own laws.
> ------------------------
> http://www.mohawksoft.com

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why Open Source better be careful - The Microsoft Un-American
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2001 12:12:43 -0500

Stuart Krivis wrote:

> On 6 Mar 2001 23:31:02 GMT, Bloody Viking <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> >For energy _storage media_ like hydrogen (takes more energy than you get,
> >hence "storage media") you need a _source_ to have it. Breeders like crazy? I
> >say yes, but we all know about the politics of nuke plants. Nukes is the long
> >term solution, to power homes and factories, electric rail, etc. Hydrogen has
> >the annoying problem of being awful cold, second to liquid helium.
>
> The disadvantage to hydrogen is that it requires a means of
> distribution. The current natural gas system won't work. Hydrogen would
> be leaking out everywhere. :-) You need for better seals for containing
> hydrogen.
>
> Your comment about cold assumes that we would be using liquid hydrogen.
> I don't think that's realistic. There are other ways to store hydrogen
> that make more sense if you need a portable source.
>
> >The situation with car companies and petrol is sort of like Microsoft and
> >Moore's Law. Car companies will suffer big time when oil supplies peak, and so
> >will Microsoft suffer when computing power peaks.
>
> To a large extent, car companies sell what people want. They do try to
> manipulate people's wants, but it doesn't always work.
>
> I doubt that they would have anything against selling/producing cars
> that are more efficient or run on some alternative fuel. But people
> aren't willing to pay extra for that, nor put up with any inconvenience.
>
> Cars _were_ becoming more efficent. CAFE was moving things in the right
> direction. But higher prices didn't please the consumer, and the oil
> industry didn't like lower consumption. Reagan gutted CAFE and now we
> have lots of 4WD SUVs that are not efficient.

You obviously have NO understanding here.

CAFE is still in full effect.  It has always applied to passenger
cars ONLY.

Commercial cars (like taxis and police fleet vehicles) are exempt,
and ALL trucks, which includes pick-up trucks and SUVS  (which are
really nothing more than a factory version of a pickup with a cap
over the tailbed.

> But people want large trucks that they can wear. If it were allowed, and
> they had one, people would dangle their large willy outside their pants
> just to impress their neighbors. A large Ford SUV with power ass-wiper
> is something that is socially acceptable when it comes to showing what
> large cojones you have. "I'm rich and powerful. Bow down before me."

It's *all* about conspicous consumption, that is true.

> Take a look at people driving around. Count how many are by themselves
> in a vehicle that would hold 4 or more in comfort.
>
> Why isn't there a strong push to public transportation? Some areas are a
> bit more enlightened and are working on it, but many just pay lip
> service to the concept. I live in an area with roads that were never
> designed for the amount of traffic they get now. They become a parking
> lot during commute time. But people are still moving out farther away
> from their jobs in the city, and they drive back and forth.

The best way to relieve road congestion is to get the tractor-trailer
trucks off the roads.  Get manufacturers to use railroad "piggy-back".

The trucker takes the trailer from the point A to the railroad yard,
where it's loaded onto a flatbed....transported to some far-off
location....and another driver picks up the trailer and and delivers
it to point B.

Would this diminish the number of long-haul truck drivers needed?
Yes.  On the other hand, there would be a corresponding increase
in the personnel needed in railroad yards, so it comes out as a
wash (especially when you consider that a railroad worker in such
a situation is FAR more productive than a long-haul truck driver...
therefore, such jobs could actually pay MORE, while still allowing
lower transportation costs AND for the railroad to make a decent
profit)

> There's a bus system, but it's horrible. It's not aimed toward the
> middle class, it's aimed lower. And the powers-that-be don't really care
> whether the proles are inconvenienced or not.

Fuck that stupid Marxist lingo...

> Affirmative action hurts too. The bus system is required to follow
> certain hiring rules. They don't hire or promote based on merit.
> The result is some drivers that don't realize that driving a bus also
> involves picking people up and stopping to let them off. Good bus
> drivers are few and far between. Politically-correct bus drivers are
> everywhere.

And you wonder why the middle class doesn't wanna rely upon
a bus to get them places....

> Here's an experiment. Sit in your vehicle and look around. How much of
> that fancy exterior can you see? Not much, I suspect. People buy fancy
> cars for _others_, not for themselves. If they were buying for
> themselves, then the exterior would be low-maintenance and the interior
> would be all-important. Why do you need shiny paint that requires more
> work to keep up? You can't admire it when you're driving. (I'm assuming
> that the actual purpose of a car is to be driven, not to sit on the
> front lawn as a showpiece.) Well, that shiny paint is to impress someone
> else with how big your willy is.

Now you know why metro Detroit has the highest per-capita income
of ANY metropolitan area in the entire WORLD.

> --
>
> Stuart Krivis

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2001 12:15:20 -0500

Stuart Krivis wrote:

> On Thu, 08 Mar 2001 15:57:47 +0000, Donal K. Fellows <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >Aaron Kulkis wrote:
> >> The solution is to identify and breed bacteria which produce a lot
> >> of oil as a waste product.
> >>
> >> notice that if you leave some water in a bowl by the sink...after a
> >> couple of days, it will have an oil slick.  This is from bacteria.
>
> This is from the funk that floats around at Kulkis' home.
>
> >hydrocarbon available as we could ever want.  I'm utterly serious on
> >the "so long as people are willing to pay the price" bit though.
> >
> >Crises breed opportunity.  :^)
>
> It's unfortunate that we have to wait for a crisis to happen before
> people wake up and do something.

That's because the average American, whom the average politician
fears (when was the last time we had a true LEADER, a STATESMAN in
American politics???), doesn't want to deal with any problems until
they are at a crisis state.

In some ways, that's good, in other ways, it's bad.

For example, don't force a solution to a problem that doesn't
yet exist....especially when a far cheaper and/or more effective
solution might be developed in a couple of years and STILL be
in advance of when the problem truly becomes a problem.

> --
>
> Stuart Krivis

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2001 17:02:32 GMT

"Chad Everett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On Sun, 18 Mar 2001 02:06:22 -0600, Erik Funkenbusch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >"CR Lyttle" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >Diskeeper
> >> Already forgotten the "NSAKEY" backdoor?  That was the "backup" key that
> >> MS put in the OS in case they (they being MS) "forgot" the primary key
> >> and needed to update your software.
> >
> >That would be the backdoor that one of the top cryptologists in the world
> >says he doesn't believe exists.
> >
> >Bruce Schneier, author of Applied Cryptography and considered a formemost
> >expert in cryptogrophy chimed in on the entire NSAKEY incident saying that
> >the paranoia mongers arguments simply didn't make sense.
> >
> >http://www.counterpane.com/crypto-gram-9909.html#NSAKeyinMicrosoftCryptoAPI
> >

> Thanks Erik.  Your counterpane link has provided another two great reasons
> for a foreign agency to make a decision to purge all Microsoft OSs from their
> machines:
>
> Here's a snip from the Schneier link:
>
> First, if the NSA wanted to compromise Microsoft's Crypto API, it would be
> much easier to either 1) convince MS to tell them the secret key for MS's
> signature key, 2) get MS to sign an NSA-compromised module, or 3) install
> a module other than Crypto API to break the encryption (no other modules
> need signatures). It's always easier to break good encryption by attacking
> the random number generator than it is to brute-force the key.
>
> Second, NSA doesn't need a key to compromise security in Windows. Programs
> like Back Orifice can do it without any keys. Attacking the Crypto API still
> requires that the victim run an executable (even a Word macro) on his
computer.
> If you can convince a victim to run an untrusted macro, there are a zillion
> smarter ways to compromise security.

By this logic, they shouldn't use any OS, because all OSes are
subject to compromise if a trusted user runs a trojan application.
Especially Linux...

-C

------------------------------

From: Chris Ahlstrom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2001 17:32:41 GMT

Chad Myers wrote:

> By this logic, they shouldn't use any OS, because all OSes are
> subject to compromise if a trusted user runs a trojan application.
> Especially Linux...

He means "Especially Windows", folks.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Roy Culley)
Subject: Re: KDE 2.1 oopsie!
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2001 17:34:16 +0100

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        "Gary Hallock" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "mlw"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

>> If you did an rpm -i, you would get errors because you had 2.0.1 alread
>> installed.
>
> Unless, of course, he used the --force option.  In which case he deserves
> what he got.

Unlikely as he would need to read some documentation to know about --force.
He says he did 'rpm -i' and he has told us many times he doesn't lie so we
have conclusive evidence that he screwed up ... again.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Roy Culley)
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2001 17:35:01 +0100

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        mlw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Gary Hallock wrote:
>>
>> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "mlw"
>> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>> > If you did an rpm -i, you would get errors because you had 2.0.1 alread
>> > installed.
>> >

>> Unless, of course, he used the --force option.  In which case he deserves
>> what he got.
>
> He said he did:
>
> "rpm -i *.rpm"
>
> And got no errors. Given the context of the thread, one should conclude that he
> would be making an honest attempt at displaying the problem, which would
> require some diligence toward accuracy of the steps taken and the results
> observed. Since we know that what he said he did could not have produced the
> results he claims, we can safely conclude: He is either an idiot or a lying.

Definitely idiot. :-)