From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: US Navy carrier to adopt Win2k infrastructure
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 13:26:23 -0500

GreyCloud wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:
> >
> > GreyCloud wrote:

> > > Out of curiosity, does IBM produce RISC based desktop models around the
> > > $1k range?
> >
> > What's the price range for Power PC's these days?
> >

> If your suggesting Apple iMac its not for me.  I was thinking more along
> the lines of the RS/6000 series.  I think Power PC cpus are joint IBM
> and Motorola venture.  I was hoping that IBM would compete against Sun
> in the Unix arena at the $1k mark.

Oh, god...no, you do NOT want an RS-6000.

RS/6000....on your Desktop?  Where ya gonna put the monitor?

(RS/6000's consume a 2 foot x 3 foot patch of floorspace.)

> > Aaron R. Kulkis
> > Unix Systems Engineer

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 11:29:55 -0700
From: Anonymous <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: What is user friendly?
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,soc.singles

aaron wrote:
> Anonymous wrote:

> > > Then why did M$ try to imply that Lose98 makes Lose95 obsolete,
> > > and now Lose2000 and LoseME make Lose98 obsolete?
> >
> > because they want to make lots of money.
>
> Translation:  Your best interests are none of their concern.

and this makes them different from any other stranger... how exactly?

>       And yet, you *STILL* trust them....why is  that?

when did i ever say i trusted them?
                    jackie 'anakin' tokeman

men fear thought as they fear nothing else on earth - more than ruin,
more even than death
- bertrand russell

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Lars_Tr=E4ger?=)
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.next.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Why can't Apple do it?
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 19:25:50 +0100

Marten Kemp <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> The interesting thing is that they *did* think about the future. A total
> of 128k of RAM and 32k of ROM for displays where the originals only used
> 32k of RAM and no ROM. 160k for additional device adapter ROM and RAM
> where the XT only used 4k. The design was very well optimized for the
> 1mb addressing range of the 8088 chip. They could *not* have forseen
> where the PC would go. 25 years after the Wright brothers airplanes were
> still fabric-covered biplanes. 25 years after the first auto (don't
> remember who built it) the majority of cars on the road were the
> equivalent of the Ford model T.

And 25 years after the first computers they still ran with vacuum tubes
and were programmed with switches on a board.

Anyway, the design of the PC wasn't the problem, the one of the AT was.
A20-gate, anyone?

Lars T.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Steve Chaney)
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,soc.singles
Subject: Re: gates messiah
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 18:35:38 GMT

On 17 Mar 2001 00:57:38 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bloody Viking) wrote:

>Dark Angel ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
>
>: Your archnemisis, Steve Chaney, seems to have had no trouble learning
>: to use unix.  Guess you're finally conceding that Chaney's smarter
>: than you....
>
>And Jackie Pokemon didn't need a recount to realise it's time to concede. So
>she just might be slightly less stupid than a retarded lobotomised gibbon.
>Doesn't stop her from being an oxygen thief though.

Fucking hardcore.

-- Steve

===============================
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (remove the "-" to email me)
This site is just TOO COOL for a counter! http://www.self-acceptance.org
"As long as an enemy is judged solely by his
appearance, his victory is assured." - Outer Limits
STOP SMOKING NOW!!! ASK ME HOW!!! http://www.geocities.com/brenduh52/
The alt.bonehead.jim-dutton FAQ @ http://www.best.com/~paladin/jjd-faq.shtml
The Ramalamer fun page! http://www.best.com/~paladin/ramalane.shtml

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine)
Subject: Re: German armed forces ban MS software  <gloat!>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 18:40:35 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Aaron R. Kulkis
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote
on Tue, 20 Mar 2001 00:36:59 -0500
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>Ed Allen wrote:
>>
>> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>> mlw  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> >
>> >Have you ever built NT source code?
>> >
>>     To give you an idea of the complexity, Jeff Merkey, who *has*
>>     says it takes 35 hours per compile.
>

>Figures.
>
>In comparison, Linux takes only that many MINUTES.

I think "NT source code" is a far larger enterprise than
"Linux kernel"; presumably, that includes all utilities.
It might even include Microsoft Outlook and IIS.

I'd be interested if anyone has successfully downloaded, say, the
Debian source packages and recompiled a Debian system from scratch.
(RedHat also has this capability.)

That would probably be a fairer comparison. :-)

[.sigsnip]

                    Microsoft.  When it absolutely, positively has to act weird.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 11:43:27 -0700
From: Anonymous <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

aaron wrote:
> Anonymous wrote:
> >
> > aaron wrote:

> > > M$ gives new meaning to the phrase "not invented here"...as there
> > > is not a single feature of an M$ platform which was invented by
> > > Microsoft.
> >
> > who cares?
>
> For a company which prides itself on it's ability to "innovate"...
> the fact that it has not actaully innovated *ANYTHING* is quite
> interesting...don't you think...

no.
all i care about is that it works.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Neil Cerutti)
Subject: Re: Stupid error message
Date: 20 Mar 2001 18:44:34 GMT

Bob Nelson posted:
>Neil Cerutti <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>   The name specified is not recognized as an
>>   internal or external command, operable program or batch file.
>
>> Is there any other operating system in the world with such a
>> stupid and needlessly verbose error message?
>
>Do you prefer this style of error message?
>
>- ``You don't exist, go away''
>- ``Not a typewriter''
>- ``Aiee!''

No.

They're bad. But they're not needlessly verbose.

--
Neil Cerutti <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  "The name specified is not recognized as an
   internal or external command, operable program
   or batch file." -- cmd.exe

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Unix/Linux Professionalism
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 13:49:17 -0500

Shades wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Shades wrote:
> > >
> > > Can anyone imagine, let's say a CTO of a large multinational company,
> the
> > > kind Linux advocates would love say they beat MS in,  jumping into one
> of
> > > these newsgroups and reading the "professionalism"  expressed in this
> > > group(see below)?   Unix people have always been touted as being this
> > > arrogant and narrow-minded and I have had my fair share of the
> > > unprofessional manner.
> > >
> > > In the past I have had Unix people say there were going to slash my
> tires,
> > > and some sabotaged a web server farm I worked in because they didn't
> like NT
> > > servers being there.   But here one can see it first hand.  It is sad
> > > because for all the good Linux and Unix may be over NT, who can trust a
> > > group of people who act like this to administer it?
> > >
> > > If I go to any of the MS groups it isn't this way.  There is no
> masculinity
> > > tests for how much I know or do not.  People there generally comment
> more
> > > positively if someone says Linux is better and give good arguments both
> pro
> > > and con.    Here however, people tend to disagree by 13 year old name
> > > calling and not really giving out much in terms of information.  (if you
> are
> > > too stupid to know I won't tell you).    All anyone hears is "MS IS A
> > > MONOPOLY" or  "WE DID GUI FIRST", and "IF YOU CAN'T INSTALL IT YOU ARE
> > > F***IN DUMB", etc, etc,... ad nauseum.   But one rarely hears about
> > > solutions businesses need today coming out of this.
> > >
> > > I don't mean to say this of all Unix/Linux people for I know some that I
> > > consider good friends and they act extremely professional.  But there
> are so
> > > many that do not and all it does is give Microsoft and others MORE
> > > ammunition to scare corporations that the Linux community so desperately
> > > needs away.
> > >
> > > My 2 cents....
> >
> > None of which excuses being a JACKASS by choosing Mafia$oft LoseDog
> platforms.
>
> Yep...  thanks.

Sounds like something a Mafia$oft JACKASS would write.

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,soc.singles
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 13:43:45 -0500
From: David Masterson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

>> > "Don't blame me, I bought IBM" worked in the 1960's.  In this day
>> > and age, there is NO excuse for such lame reasoning.

>> Whether its a good excuse or not, it is still in use (substitute
>> "M$" for "IBM").

> I didn't deny that it's in use...I said that it doesn't WASH anymore.

And I didn't deny that it doesn't wash anymore.

>> > That excuse doesn't wash either.
>>
>> > Hint fucking hint: 1996 was 5 YEARS AGO.
>>
>> I'm not saying this is the whole problem, just part of it.  And, given
>> the previous excuse, 5 years (its actually more like 3 for the solid
>> Linux environment that runs X-Windows) is not that long in the big IT
>> departments.

> Then why did M$ try to imply that Lose98 makes Lose95 obsolete,
> and now Lose2000 and LoseME make Lose98 obsolete?

Because they can (where do you tell the 900 pound gorilla to sit?).
However, even M$ must bow to all the IT organizations that will not
stand for having _*ALL*_ of their application software becoming
obsolete because of an O/S _upgrade_.

>> > This has NOTHING to do with Unix.

>> Of course it does.  The UNIX vendors of the 1980s had plenty of time
>> to do battle with Microsoft before it became too big, but they were
>> busy fighting each other for "workstation" dominance.

> Not SCO.

One small player in the big picture.

> SCO was locked out of the desktop marketplace by M$'s illegal
> exclusionary contracts.

IIRC, M$ had a minority stake in SCO.

>> > For years, Microsoft got over, because the various OEM's were
>> > completely unaware of the specifics of the contract between
>> > Microsoft and other OEM's.

>> > Now that it has gotten out...well, that's why Microsoft keeps
>> > getting CONVICTED FOR CRIMES.

>> And I hope Microsoft gets whats coming to them.  However, depending
>> on the government to slap Microsoft down may be a false hope.

> Not *all* justice comes from government agencies.

True.  There may be a light at the end of the tunnel.  However, the
walls of the tunnel are lined with people making the excuse mentioned
above.

>> > AT&T was PROHIBITED from competing in the computing industry
>> > at that time.

>> AT&T was released from this with the 1984 breakup.  I know I was
>> using the (in)famous UNIX PC in 1986 and the AT&T 3B UNIX servers
>> were available even earlier.  UNIX (with a GUI) was just too
>> powerful to run on the CPUs of that day and age *unless* AT&T had
>> committed to developing leaner and meaner versions of UNIX.  But it
>> never did...

> true.  On the other hand, AT&T had absolutely ZERO experience
> in the computer industry as a vendor...and given their previous
> several decades of telecom experience, was not even properly
> staffed (i.e management) to play the game.

True.  A lot of vendors had the problem of poor management and
marketing.  Commodore had a powerful machine in the Amiga, but didn't
believe in it until it was too late.  Atari couldn't shake the game
machine image.  Apple couldn't shake the desktop publishing image.
Sun couldn't make headway into the Intel world (Sun PC).  HP embraced
both worlds rather than compete.  DEC thought first UNIX and then PCs
were "snake oil".  AT&T had a ready made user base for UNIX coming out
of college, but chose to market hardware instead.  And we all know who
IBM sided with in the 80s.

Unfortunately, this left Microsoft with open territory that it
capitalized on.

>> Monopoly or not, there was no competing with Microsoft on its
>> playing field (ie. DOS/Windows) once Microsoft went into the
>> applications

> You've never heard of Digital Research, and DR-DOS, which had a 100%
> compatible, TRUE multi-tasking version of DOS on the market in 1985.

Almost forgot about them.  They did do better than most.  Microsoft,
though, had been "annointed" by IBM in the early 80s.  This gave them
the backing and momentum that other companies could only dream of.

> Oh...and by the way...M$ settled that suit OUT OF COURT in return
> for an agreement that Caldera (who bought out DR) *NEVER* say
> another word about it again.

> Innocent parties don't do things like that.

I never said that they were innocent.  Just that believing that their
illegal tactics was the sole reason for their success is a bit naive.

>> Well, there is still the excuse mentioned above.

> It's invalid.  In the 1960's the only computer manufacturer
> most people had ever heard of was IBM....right up to the time
> of the PC.

There were others (including Honeywell and DEC).

> On the other hand, It was pretty hard to get through the 1980's
> without being aware of the TRS-80, Apple, Atari, Commodore, and
> other vendors.

The TRS-80 was DOS based and, so, not competition.  The others had
their own problems that let Microsoft slip in and lock them out.

> In fact, the "Don't blame me, I bought IBM" excuse was solidly
> KILLED by the vast market of PC-clone manufacturers.

Until it became "don't blame me, I bought Microsoft".  I still see
that in software sales to corporations.

> Anybody who generates and manipulates business-essential data with
> applications that use proprietary formats is a fool who will
> eventually pay for that foolishness by being driven from the
> marketplace for excessive operating costs.

One can but hope...

--
David Masterson          ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
Rational Software        (but I don't speak for them)

------------------------------

From: "Shades" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 14:01:51 -0500

Many of these responses are similar to the ones I got years ago from a
number of Macintosh people when Apple was king.   I don't see any difference
between this scenario and the ones of the past except that Apple/Novell
actually generated revenue and had something higher than 0.0 for an EPS.
Maybe you guys are right... maybe this time it will be different and Linux
will win the day.

However , MS is pretty relentless on stopping Linux now and they don't sit
around focusing on how Linux TCP implementation stinks.  They take their
case to the customers and show how MS is better in very different ways.
They show where they do integrate with many products and how some of their
new products coming out will help them do business.   You can all laugh at
me...  but I have sat in both server rooms and boardrooms and have seen them
in action.  Sometimes they fail but generally their sales reps are
relentless and MS doesn't like to lose.  You can say they cheat, lie and
steal but in the end they can offer a CTO some damned compelling reasons to
go with them.   I have seen Unix people throw things at director level
people because they discussing bringing in NT.  Instead of giving them a
good story about why Unix/Linux and services that come with it are better
they do nothing but bitch.   That becomes the most self defeating action
they can do.

I have read numerous posts all over from this group and that and I have
heard everyone compalin about MS and their evil tactics and how they aren't
going to get away with it this time and how Linux is so much better...
However I think you guys really should drop the anger and focusing on how
bad MS is and focus on solving the client's business problems.  Is producing
a great OS one way.  Yes.  Is it all you have to do, No.

I am a little tired of watching year after year great technologies go down
the shitter because the company making them doesn't have a much of a clue
about anything else and because so many people are so damned self righteous
that they MUST win by shear will.  Steve Jobs proved that to be wrong as did
so many others that MS went after.   MS may be a bunch of assholes but they
don't seem to be as big an asshole as their competition can be.