From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft
Subject: Re: uh oh, redhat is gonna do it
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 16:30:52 -0500

David Steinberg wrote:

> <Crosspost to soc.singles removed>
>
> Steve Chaney ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> : Can we say manual updates? Well, at least for now, perhaps. But very
> : soon they are likely to try and find a way to do away with this as
> : well.
>
> What leads you to believe this?
>
> I thought that companies like Red Hat were going to make money by giving
> away the software and charging for the value-added services.
>
> The updates themselves would be part of the the free software, and the
> autmated upgrade procedure would be the value added service.  This is
> nothing new.
>
> Speaking of nothing new, this isn't the first time that unfounded
> accusations has been thrown at Red Hat, either.
>
> I see no indication that Red Hat is about to stop providing its software
> for free.  More importantly, there is absolutely nothing to suggest that
> Red Hat is going to stop being a major contributor of Free Software.
>
> That said, Debian is still the distribution that best suits my needs, and
> the one that I will continue to use.
>
> --
> David Steinberg                             -o)
> Computer Engineering Undergrad, UBC         / \
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]                _\_v

True....upon reflection, all that RedHat is doing is charging for
the service of providing coherent software upgrade management.

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Joseph T. Adams" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: German armed forces ban MS software  <gloat!>
Date: 20 Mar 2001 21:30:34 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy Bruce Scott TOK <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

: Maybe a fairer comparison would be to build all of GNU/Linux, which
: might be of order 1/2 to 1 hour on modern systems (just a guess).
: I can't believe how fast the Fujitsu F95 compiler is, actually.  My code
: compiles in 1/2 hour on the T3E, about 5 minutes on the Sun Ultra, and
: about 2 minutes on the Linux PC.

C++ software such as Mozilla and Qt and KDE take *much* longer to
compile than comparable C code.  A full build of qt + KDE on my AMD
box (K6-III, 400MHz, 128MB RAM) runs most of the night.

Joe

------------------------------

From: "Mart van de Wege" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Unix/Linux Professionalism
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 22:23:09 +0100

In article <998cj1$469$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Shades" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
<snip a lot of stuff>

You know, I can't comment on the relative merits of Linux vs. NT in the
server department, as I use both only for workstation use (NT at work,
Linux at home), but when I take on that condescending tone you're using
towards one of our customers (I work for a bank), my supervisor will be
all over me, because it is *just as bad* as outright insulting someone.
Given your tone, and your continuous posting to stoke the flames, I can
only conlude that you are a troll. A very skilled one, but a troll
nonetheless.

Mart

--
Write in C, write in C,
Write in C, yeah, write in C.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,soc.singles,alt.os.linux.redhat,comp.os.linux.redhat,linux.redhat
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 16:35:09 -0500

Steve Chaney wrote:

> On Tue, 20 Mar 2001 19:57:05 GMT, T. Max Devlin
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >Said Steve Chaney in alt.destroy.microsoft on Tue, 20 Mar 2001 08:14:31
> >>I didn't know whether or not RedHat would try and boff the linux
> >>community up the back door, but it looks like they will try after all.
> >>
> >>Is RedHat making like a dog taking off at high speed and forgetting it
> >>is chained by the neck, or will it stop here? My bet is they are
> >>taking the first leaps in a quest to turn their version of Linux into
> >>a paid subscription product.
> >
> >An old and rather appropriate idea.
> >
> >>What am I talking about?
> >>http://www.redhat.com/products/network/service_changes.html
> >>(Credits: first seen on slashdot.org:
> >>http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=01/03/19/156208&mode=thread)
> >>
> >>A few excerpts from the FAQ page:
> >>"On February 26, 2001 Red Hat will be releasing Software Manager, our
> >>new software update management tool. Software Manager will replace the
> >>introductory Red Hat Network trial program, which will be ending that
> >>day."
> >>
> >>"Software Manager is a subscription offering priced at $19.95 per
> >>month for each system."
> >   [...]
> >>Can we say manual updates? Well, at least for now, perhaps. But very
> >>soon they are likely to try and find a way to do away with this as
> >>well.
> >
> >You apparently lack the technical ability to understand why this is a
> >stupid statement.  Not only is it unlikely, its an incomprehensible
> >idea.
>
> I call your bluff - why do you think it's a stupid idea?
> RedHat can't go far with this because of the GPL their product is
> licensed under.

RedHat is merely charging for centralized, reliable CHANGE MANAGEMENT
of software upgrades.

This relieves customers of much of the cost of maintaining test
machines and software migration testers....no time spent testing
software versions that aren't yet ready for prime-time....thus
lowering their in-house costs for such testing.

For home users, who often can't afford to have a "test machine",
this is a very cheap thing.  Also, if I were a RedHat home user,
I would just purchase the server for one month every 6 months.

> -- Steve
>
> ===============================
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (remove the "-" to email me)
> This site is just TOO COOL for a counter! http://www.self-acceptance.org
> "As long as an enemy is judged solely by his
> appearance, his victory is assured." - Outer Limits
> STOP SMOKING NOW!!! ASK ME HOW!!! http://www.geocities.com/brenduh52/
> The alt.bonehead.jim-dutton FAQ @ http://www.best.com/~paladin/jjd-faq.shtml
> The Ramalamer fun page! http://www.best.com/~paladin/ramalane.shtml

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: gnu.misc.discuss,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,misc.int-property
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 16:32:15 -0500
Subject: Re: Richard Stallman what a tosser, and lies about free software
From: David Masterson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

>>> I feel I must reject any argument, on the face of it, which
>>> attempts to declare that without profiteering, some facet of
>>> modern technology 'would not have been possible'.  Such a position
>>> is self-defeating.

>> Really!?!  Are we not all "profiteers" at heart?  Its just that the
>> term "profit" has different meanings for different people.
>> Profitting from your work would seem to be anything but 'self
>> defeating'.

> No we are not.  Some of us do this for fun and really do want to
> keep profit out of it.  All the way out of it (this goes for any
> turbulence code I write, for example).

Different definition of "profit", but still a profit motive.  This is
why I quoted the term.

>> I think a strong case could be made for saying that, if there was
>> not a strong case for "profit" (in the monetary sense) from the
>> work done on many projects, then the investment money necessary to
>> fund the development of those projects would not have been
>> forthcoming.  While the development of such a project may still
>> have been 'possible', it would have taken _*considerably*_ longer
>> for the project to come to fruitition.

> What you say holds well for what you want to apply it to (ie, your
> creations), but the creations of other people are affected by other
> motives (ie, theirs), and if they want to be "anti-profit" then that
> is their right.  No matter how "irrational" or "emotional" it might
> be, it is their right and must be respected.

True.  I'm making no assertions about _requiring_ money in order to do
development -- you're free to develop your project the way you choose.
I'm merely stating the obvious that, if you are doing the development
"on your own", your project will take longer than if someone had
invested resources (time, money, people, etc.) into it.  This is
simple economics.  The complexity of your project will determine how
much longer (and, obviously, there is the mythical man-month phenomena
to watch out for), but the greater resources would undoubtedly help.

These resources can most easily be gotten through the use of the
universal language -- money.  However, getting the investment of money
almost always requires showing a possible return on investment.  This
has nothing to do with "rationality" or "emotionalism" -- its just
simple economics.

--
David Masterson          ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
Rational Software        (but I don't speak for them)

------------------------------

From: WesTralia <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 15:35:03 -0600

"Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:

> WesTralia wrote:

>Substitute
> > >
> > > Wrong.
> > >
> > > I know what the fuck I'm talking about.  I have the university
> > > education AND the real-world experience to know what the fuck
> > > I'm talking about.
> >
> > You are wrong about YOUR university education.  You never finished.  You
>
> Are you implying that 100 credit hours of Mathematics, Chemistry,
> Physics, Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, and Computer
> Systems Engineering course work is not an education?
>
> I completed the core curriculum with excellant grades.
>
> The only thing between me and a degree are some trivial elective
> courses....which, because I'm classified as a senior, I *MUST*
> take on campus (Purdue doesn't allow credit transfers for anybody
> classified as a senior).
>
> Now...why would i give up a couple THOUSAND dollars/week in income
> to go back to Indiana to sit around in a history lecture, in pursuit

History class?  I thought you stated you needed to finish some
*electives*?

> > are a high school graduate, nothing more, nothing less.
>
> Fine...I'm a high school graduate who is hired by Fortune 500
> companies into some of the most demanding technical slots...and
> leave because I get even MORE lucrative offers.

Demanding technical roles?

Since when did Wintendo98 become demanding?

> Remember
>
> Diplomo != Education    and Education != Diploma.
>
> I know many people who have a Diploma, but are still uneducated.
> I also know many people who have an education, despite the lack of
> a Diploma.
>
> None of which implies that a Diploma and an Education are mutually exclusive....
> it depends on the school.

Yeah, yeah... tell it to your dentist.

------------------------------

From: "Lee A. Wentzel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,soc.singles,alt.os.linux.redhat,comp.os.linux.redhat,linux.redhat
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 15:38:41 -0600

==============4A14571F45E06A40F8521858

Just my two cents.  (For what it's worth.)  Tech support and product development
costs money.  You can't blame a company for trying to actually make money.

Lee

Steve Chaney wrote:

> I didn't know whether or not RedHat would try and boff the linux
> community up the back door, but it looks like they will try after all.
>
> Is RedHat making like a dog taking off at high speed and forgetting it
> is chained by the neck, or will it stop here? My bet is they are
> taking the first leaps in a quest to turn their version of Linux into
> a paid subscription product.
>
> What am I talking about?
> http://www.redhat.com/products/network/service_changes.html
> (Credits: first seen on slashdot.org:
> http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=01/03/19/156208&mode=thread)
>
> A few excerpts from the FAQ page:
> "On February 26, 2001 Red Hat will be releasing Software Manager, our
> new software update management tool. Software Manager will replace the
> introductory Red Hat Network trial program, which will be ending that
> day."
>
> "Software Manager is a subscription offering priced at $19.95 per
> month for each system."
>
> "Can I still use up2date anonymously to download packages? No. All
> users of up2date will need a Red Hat Network login and a system
> profile for the target machine. If you try to use up2date anonymously,
> you will be prompted to set up a login and use rhn_register to create
> a system profile. You will then receive a digital certificate that
> lets you authenticate and continue as usual."
>
> Can we say manual updates? Well, at least for now, perhaps. But very
> soon they are likely to try and find a way to do away with this as
> well.
>
> Place your bets!!!
> 1) Will RedHat try and take this to the point where even manual
> upgrades are impossible (at least through their FTP server)?
> 2) If so, will the GPL act like the proverbial dog leash and give
> RedHat a rude awakening when they cross The Line?
>
> Heheh.
>
> -- Steve
>
> ===============================
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (remove the "-" to email me)
> This site is just TOO COOL for a counter! http://www.self-acceptance.org
> "As long as an enemy is judged solely by his
> appearance, his victory is assured." - Outer Limits
> STOP SMOKING NOW!!! ASK ME HOW!!! http://www.geocities.com/brenduh52/
> The alt.bonehead.jim-dutton FAQ @ http://www.best.com/~paladin/jjd-faq.shtml

==============4A14571F45E06A40F8521858

Just my two cents.&nbsp; (For what it's worth.)&nbsp; Tech support and
product development costs money.&nbsp; You can't blame a company for trying
to actually make money.
boff the linux
it
href="http://www.redhat.com/products/network/service_changes.html">http://www.redhat.com/products/network/service_changes.html</a>
href="http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=01/03/19/156208&mode=thread">http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=01/03/19/156208&amp;mode=thread</a>)
the
href="http://www.self-acceptance.org">http://www.self-acceptance.org</a>
href="http://www.geocities.com/brenduh52/">http://www.geocities.com/brenduh52/</a>
href="http://www.best.com/~paladin/jjd-faq.shtml">http://www.best.com/~paladin/jjd-faq.shtml</a></blockquote>

From: "Joseph T. Adams" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 20 Mar 2001 21:39:18 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

: Spot the Microsoft-paid plant:

: Jan Johanson wrote:
: [stuff, not worth quoting, deleted]

You're doing *exactly* what he/she/it wants, by posting this same
response over and over again.

This type of troll works by provoking otherwise sensible people into
emitting more noise than signal.  No one really takes it seriously.
But when someone on the opposing side responds in kind, then people
end up not taking the opponent seriously either.

Better to just go *plonk* and be done with him.

Joe

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,soc.singles,comp.os.linux.redhat
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 16:40:25 -0500

Steve Chaney wrote:

> On Tue, 20 Mar 2001 20:46:24 GMT, "Scot Mc Pherson"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >Steve and friends,
> >    Here is an excerpt from the FAQ which is the page that Steve directed us
> >to:
> >
> >Is Red Hat now charging for software updates?
> >No. On March 16 Red Hat discontinued anonymous access to Red Hat Network
> >through the Update Agent (up2date). You now have two choices for free
> >software updates:
> >
> >if you register with Red Hat Network, you get a free subscription to
> >Software Manager and can use Update Agent with your RHN username.
> >if you don't want to register, the same software updates will continue to be
> >available for free download from our public FTP servers (ftp.redhat.com) and
> >mirror sites worldwide.
> >

> >What this means to us is that we have to ftp our software updates when out
> >trial RHN subscriptions end.
>
> My point is they might try and make it so you can't get the software
> updates via FTP.

that would alienate their entire client base, who would migrate
to SuSE in a heartbeat.

> >Is this a violation of the GNU GPL? Nope...the GPL prevent people from
> >modifying or reselling GPL'd software. The software RedHat is using is their
> >own. It might run on a GPL platform, but that is OK. There is nothing in the
> >GPL that prevents people from doing so, in fact it is somewhat encouraged by
> >the community. The GPL is NOT related one iota to a service provided. The
> >breadth you have given to the GPL Steve, means that I am not allowed to
> >charge for an onsite visit to repair and maintain a client system.
>
> I didn't say anything that contradicted THIS.
>
> -- Steve
>
> ===============================
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (remove the "-" to email me)
> This site is just TOO COOL for a counter! http://www.self-acceptance.org
> "As long as an enemy is judged solely by his
> appearance, his victory is assured." - Outer Limits
> STOP SMOKING NOW!!! ASK ME HOW!!! http://www.geocities.com/brenduh52/
> The alt.bonehead.jim-dutton FAQ @ http://www.best.com/~paladin/jjd-faq.shtml
> The Ramalamer fun page! http://www.best.com/~paladin/ramalane.shtml

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.