From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,soc.singles
Subject: Re: What is user friendly?
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 15:27:58 -0500

David Masterson wrote:

> [...]
>
> > Not *all* justice comes from government agencies.
>
> True.  There may be a light at the end of the tunnel.  However, the
> walls of the tunnel are lined with people making the excuse mentioned
> above.

> >> AT&T was released from this with the 1984 breakup.  I know I was
> >> using the (in)famous UNIX PC in 1986 and the AT&T 3B UNIX servers
> >> were available even earlier.  UNIX (with a GUI) was just too
> >> powerful to run on the CPUs of that day and age *unless* AT&T had
> >> committed to developing leaner and meaner versions of UNIX.  But it
> >> never did...
>
> > true.  On the other hand, AT&T had absolutely ZERO experience
> > in the computer industry as a vendor...and given their previous
> > several decades of telecom experience, was not even properly
> > staffed (i.e management) to play the game.
>
> True.  A lot of vendors had the problem of poor management and
> marketing.  Commodore had a powerful machine in the Amiga, but didn't
> believe in it until it was too late.  Atari couldn't shake the game
> machine image.  Apple couldn't shake the desktop publishing image.
> Sun couldn't make headway into the Intel world (Sun PC).  HP embraced
> both worlds rather than compete.  DEC thought first UNIX and then PCs
> were "snake oil".  AT&T had a ready made user base for UNIX coming out
> of college, but chose to market hardware instead.  And we all know who
> IBM sided with in the 80s.
>
> Unfortunately, this left Microsoft with open territory that it
> capitalized on.
>
> >> Monopoly or not, there was no competing with Microsoft on its
> >> playing field (ie. DOS/Windows) once Microsoft went into the
> >> applications
>
> > You've never heard of Digital Research, and DR-DOS, which had a 100%
> > compatible, TRUE multi-tasking version of DOS on the market in 1985.
>
> Almost forgot about them.  They did do better than most.  Microsoft,
> though, had been "annointed" by IBM in the early 80s.  This gave them
> the backing and momentum that other companies could only dream of.
>
> > Oh...and by the way...M$ settled that suit OUT OF COURT in return
> > for an agreement that Caldera (who bought out DR) *NEVER* say
> > another word about it again.
>
> > Innocent parties don't do things like that.
>
> I never said that they were innocent.  Just that believing that their
> illegal tactics was the sole reason for their success is a bit naive.
>
> >> Well, there is still the excuse mentioned above.
>
> > It's invalid.  In the 1960's the only computer manufacturer
> > most people had ever heard of was IBM....right up to the time
> > of the PC.
>
> There were others (including Honeywell and DEC).
>
> > On the other hand, It was pretty hard to get through the 1980's
> > without being aware of the TRS-80, Apple, Atari, Commodore, and
> > other vendors.
>
> The TRS-80 was DOS based and, so, not competition.  The others had
> their own problems that let Microsoft slip in and lock them out.

No.  The TRS-80 was CP/M based.

> > In fact, the "Don't blame me, I bought IBM" excuse was solidly
> > KILLED by the vast market of PC-clone manufacturers.
>
> Until it became "don't blame me, I bought Microsoft".  I still see
> that in software sales to corporations.

regardless, it's still an empty excuse for incompetance.

> > Anybody who generates and manipulates business-essential data with
> > applications that use proprietary formats is a fool who will
> > eventually pay for that foolishness by being driven from the
> > marketplace for excessive operating costs.
>
> One can but hope...
>
> --
> David Masterson          ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
> Rational Software        (but I don't speak for them)

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,soc.singles
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 15:31:39 -0500

Quantum Leaper wrote:

> [...]
> > > take the best parts.  BTW you can run Enlightenment (clone) on NT4 as an
> > > explorer replacement,  might ever be available for 2K.
> >
> > M$ gives new meaning to the phrase "not invented here"...as there
> > is not a single feature of an M$ platform which was invented by
> > Microsoft.
> >
> > The only "inventions" M$ can be credited with is new ways to
> > run a software corporation as a criminal organization.

> > > Debatable,  but they have the 2 biggest selling GUIs out there....  Most
> > > Unix boxes,  I have seen are CLI.....
> >
> > The fact that Palo Alto Research Center invented the GUI is *NOT*
> > a matter of debate--it is a HISTORICAL FACT.
> >
> I guess it comes down to what make a GUI, what it is.... If you call a GUI
> "2-dimensional display editing",  then Doug created the GUI in 1968,   or if
> you want all other junk most 'modern' GUI have then PARC created it.  BTW
> most computer people I know would consider Doug the creator.  Since without
> him,  the people at PARC wouldn't have had the idea to begin with... If you
> want I can provide more then enough URLs as references.

> > > Beat my GUI (GEOS) on my C64 by about year.
> >
> > Whoops...forgot that one from my list.
> >
> Just another mistake in a long list of them you create....

> Palo
> > > Alto
> > > >

> > > Wrong answer.....  GUIs started in the 60s by Doug Englebart who also
> > > invented the Mouse.  Xerox was the first to try to make it into a
> product
> > > but at 10K each,  they didn't sell.

> > Commodore GEOS    1985

> > > I'm not going to debate your timeline since I don't remember which was
> > > first,  but I though the Amiga was out in 1985,  a very short time after
> > > Atari.   There are quite a few other GUIs out there you didn't mention.
> > >

> > They are far toooo numerous to make a complete list.
> >
> > I was merely giving a list of influential GUI's that were widely
> > used...most all of which appeared LONG before Billy Trust-fund baby
> > Gates III discovered them.
> >
> You do realize Billy got his start on the GUIs when he saw the Lisa at
> Apple...  So I would call the Lisa, more important the Mac,  atleast for MS.

> of
> on
> they
> > > do it
> works
> > > so

> Unix...in
> > > fact,
> > > >
> > > True but at a much great cost,  until recently.  Most users don't like
> > > dump all their software and start new again...
> >

> > If they wouldn't invest so much of their money purchasing software
> > which stores data in proprietary formats, they wouldn't have that
> > fucking problem, would they?
> >
> So far most systems I have seen have alot of proprietary formats,  the Amiga
> had the most standardized formats.  Every format is proprietary until
> someone copies it and use it in there programs.   Star Office had no problem

Nope.  It's a propreitary file format if the company which created it
refuses to publish it's specifications and internal structure.

LOTS of companies import/export Word document files...but it's STILL
a proprietary format.

> > Users who complain about the high cost of switching away from Microsoft
> > have nobody but their own POOR judgement to blame.
> >
> True,  but when I asked a friend what he wanted as an OS on his new
> computer,  a crashy Win98SE or a stable Linux.  He asked me how many games
> could run on Linux other than Id software,  he then picked Win98SE.   I know
> people who pick Windows over other OSs,  simple because they can get the
> software they want off the shelf.   Linux has a real or imagery shortage of
> quaility Games and Education titles,  atleast thats what I hear from friends
> who have thought about switching.

Poor judgement is it's own reward.

> > And then they foolishly trust that SAME poor judgement which tells
> > them to continue suffering the thrice-yearly bloodletting from
> > Microsoft rather than bite the bullet and free themselves from
> > Redmond's biggest drug pusher once and for all.
> >
> I find interesting most of my friends don't have nearly 1/2 as many problems
> as the Linux users had with Windows and that includes some people who can
> barely use a computer.  BTW if any of them have the smallest problem, they
> call me.

Being too stupid to notice that your computer is malfunctioning is
NOT a virtue.

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,soc.singles
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 15:33:06 -0500

Quantum Leaper wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Quantum Leaper wrote:
> > >
> > > "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> desktop

> > > The reason is gasoline engines are alot better than a steam power auto.
> >
> > And likewise, Linux is a FAR better desktop OS than anything sold
> > by Microsoft AND ALSO a far better server OS than anything sold
> > by Microsoft.
> >
> Most businesses around here still want people who know Microsoft or Netware,
> very few want Unix/Linux.   Also the local college is offering alot more
> classes based on Microsoft (I'm not talking about Application short classes,
> like Word or Excel) then they are Unix/Linux,  but they are thinking of
> adding a couple Linux classes,  soon.

That must be why Unix/Linux admins ***EASILY*** get 3x-5x the salary
as Windows admins....while having less hassles and problems to deal
with.

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,soc.singles
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 15:33:49 -0500

Quantum Leaper wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Anonymous wrote:

> with

> windows.

> desktop

> auto.

> > > yet as far as the vast majority of desktop users are concerned they
> can't
> > > give it away.
> >
> > Because Microsoft had shills writing for YEARS about the supposed
> > "problem" of the Unix command line being more difficult than the
> > DOS command line.  [In reality, the Unix command line is easier because
> > it is more consistant....example: all wildcard characters are handled
> > the same way....not only that, but you can do specificiations like
> > *sept* to specify all files with the string "sept" anywhere within
> > the name.  DOS's pattern matching never did get sophisticated enough
> > to handle even this still relatively SIMPLE method of wildcard matching.
> >
> Amazing I just tried your list test,  not *sept* but with 'dir *in*' in the
> Window directory, and had a long list of files.  Which if I read your
> complant correctly,  Windows should NOT have done correctly.   Sorry can't
> test it with Dos6.22,  since I don't have access to it.
>
> > Since few people at that time had any experience with Unix, the
> > LIES stuck.
> >
> Unix people seem to the same about Windows,  see example above....

Name even ONE Unix user who has never used Windows.

> > And then there are people like you, who go on with your silly comparisons
> > between the learning curve between late 1990's windows vs mid 1980's Unix.
>
> Learning curve all depends on the person's experence.

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,soc.singles
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 15:36:09 -0500

"T. Max Devlin" wrote:

> Said Anonymous in alt.destroy.microsoft on Tue, 20 Mar 2001 05:24:39
> >>
> >> OS/2 warp  (IBM's OS) was a REALLY solid OS.  incredibly stable and
> >> yes, user-friendly... problem was... lack of software development....
> >> and lack of popular support.  Think back to the days of BETA and
> >> VHS...  BETA was a  superior technology but it lost out due to lesser
> >> marketing and lack of popular support... go figure...
> >
> >it wasn't just marketing. (the perennial excuse of business fuckups is
> >'it wasn't properly marketed')
> >beta was put out by sony which, at least at first, was the sole
> >manufacturer. vhs was the result of an alliance between several large
> >firms. the simple fact that beta was made by one company while vhs was
> >made by many was a clear signal to the market which format was likely to
> >prevail. once that became clear no amount of technical superiority could
> >save beta. especially once you couldn't easily rent beta videos...
>
> Having appointed myself the official executioner for this urban legend,
> allow me to point out that it is indicative of both posters that they
> haven't a clue what happened with Beta vs VHS, but are supposedly basing
> their economic theories on the fabrications they've heard.
>
> There was at least a three year period, possibly longer, where you could
> easily rent beta videos or VHS videos from the same store.  Both formats
> interoperated perfectly and there was no rejection of one nor embracing
> of the other of the level you kids suppose.  The fact is, VHS tapes were
> longer, and so, over time, this advantage enabled it to become "more
> popular", and the "de facto standard" for home recording.  I've been
> told the Beta format is still in use within certain industries, and
> there's no reason at all to doubt it.

The TV broadcast industry uses beta EXCLUSIVELY.

VHS is only used for selling cheap copies to those who want them.

[I.e. What you see being broadcast on the History channel are Betamax
tapes.  What they *sell* are VHS].

> But the home VCR market apparently values recording length slightly more
> than quality.
>
> --
> T. Max Devlin
>   *** The best way to convince another is
>           to state your case moderately and
>              accurately.   - Benjamin Franklin ***

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.