From: "Uncle Davey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,us.military.army,soc.singles
Subject: Re: OT: Treason (was Re: Communism)
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 15:00:25 +0100

"jim dutton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:9b4adp$r8s$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> Uncle Davey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> >"Joseph T. Adams" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >news:9b3td9$mhj$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >> In comp.os.linux.advocacy Russianbear <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >wrote:
> >>
> >> : Bah - If there is a God he is no better than a common dictator and
there
> >is
> >> : NO reason at all to worship him.  Anyone who says live by my rules or
be
> >> : punished with death or eternal damnation is an asshole.
> >>

> >> First of all, God has only two main rules, according to Jesus.  First
> >> is to love Him.  Second is to love your neighbor.
> >>
> >> I don't think those are unreasonable requests.
> >>

> >So it's okay to have sex as long as you love God and love the person
you're
> >having sex with.
> >Uncle Davey
>
>   If the person is not your neighbor you don't have to even like them.
>
> -Jeem, HTH

No fatty fuckers on soc. singles!

Uncle Davey

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chad Everett)
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: NT is stagnant while Linux explodes
Date: 12 Apr 2001 09:03:32 -0500

On Thu, 12 Apr 2001 12:05:35 +0200, Mart van de Wege <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>In article <9b3a03$5cb$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Todd <todd" <remove>
>wrote:
>>
>>> Let us not forget that Windows has been stagnant for 3 years.  3 years
>>> ago, they were at 39%, now they are at 41%.  And that is with the
>>> strength of a criminal monopoly being leveraged wildly all the way.
>>
>> Ummm... MS has a monopoly ON THE DESKTOP.
>>
>> The server arena is an entirely different matter.
>>
>> And, having a monopoly isn't criminal.  Regarding the trial:  the court
>> will overturn the rule and MS will eventually win.  (My prediction :)
>>
>>> If with that built-in guarantee, they still cannot cut it.  Linux's
>>> momentum is astounding; NT's is basically flat!
>>
>> This is true, however.  Linux is able to take hold where the cost of the
>> OS is significant.  For most big corporations, the cost of the OS is
>> small in comparison to labor costs...

If a big corporation buys a lot of MS Windows installations, they will
need at least one full time person just to keep track of their
Microsoft license issues.

------------------------------

From: "Osugi Sakae" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Has Linux anything to offer ?
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 23:17:02 +0900

In article <Kh7B6.4251$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Doug
Patterson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I just picked up RedHat7 and am trying my best to like it. I really want
> it to work, but a lot of these armuments are true....

[snip]

>> > Let take some examples:
>> >
>> > 1. Using IE 6.0 beta, If I am on a web page, and do 'save', IE is
>> > smart enough not only to save the HTML page itself, but also to
>> > create a subdirectory with all the gif files on that page. This means
>> > when one views the locally saved HTML page later on, it comes up with
>> > all the images intact on it. There is nothing like this on Linux.
> Let's talk about browsers. NetScape 4.7X renders text terribly on my
> setup. Opera renders much better, but doesn't support Java, which
> NetScape does. I haven't found a good browser for Linux that supports
> Java. If there is one, somebody please let me know!

6.0 beta is very new, right? So this is a bleeding edge feature, one that
isn't in 5.0 or 5.5? And you count it against Linux browsers cause they
don't have it? (Talking about saving the pics). But you are wrong when
you say there is nothing like it on Linux. Wget and several others like
it are capable of that and a whole lot more. They aren't browsers, but
they accomplish the same thing.

I don't know about java support, but speaking for myself, i haven't found
a site / page that used java in any way that was important for me.

>> > 2. On windows, I can drag an image from my Visio document to my word
>> > document and have it show up there. There is nothing like this on
>> > linux.
>> >
> Amen.

None of the windows users i know has ever used this or any other drag n
drop feature. Every single windows user i know has experienced crashes,
bsods, and general unpredictable behavior. Just recently, my win98j
machine at work lost about half its fonts for no reason. A coworker's
machine crashed when he tried to print from Word (never mind he prints
every day and usually it doesn't crash). But sure, dragging an image from
one document to another might be important to some people. Me, I prefer
stability and predictability.

>> > 3. On Windows, when one starts a CD writes, the writes software
>> > automatically scans scsi and ide devices and locates the CD-W device.
>> > On linux, one must compile the kernel and do other hacks to get this
>> > to work.
>> >

>> Not anymore. Modules allows one to add changes to the kernel without
>> rebooting. CD-RW is now part of the more popular distros.  The kernel
>> hacking is never needed with these devices... it was something done a
>> few years ago.  Time changes things.

For the record, Mandrake 7.1 and 7.2 set set my burner up just fine. I
have burned about 70 to 100 discs or so without a single failure.

>> > 4. On linux, each distro has it own way interface and methods of how
>> > to configure and update the system. On widnows there is one way.

>> > 5. On linux, it is still very hard to get a system working using
>> > anti-aliased fonts, without more user hacks and configurations. On
>> > windows, it comes build in and the user has to do nothing more.
> I still can't figure out how to install any fonts beyond what was
> installed with the OS. When I tried, the font name showed up in the app
> (StarOffice, for example), but displayed only a some system font I
> couldn't even resize. I found conflicting sets of instructions on how to
> install fonts, all of them very complex. With Windows I can drag TTF
> files into the font folder and everything works.

Like I said, my win98j system is suddenly and for no obvious reason
missing about half the fonts, including most of the TT fonts. Nothing has
worked. No one can even explain why or how they went missing. So great,
you can easily add fonts. What do you do when your system loses them?

And DrakeFont in Mandrake adds fonts just fine thank you.

>> > 6. Printing on Linux is broke. On widnows, setting up a printer
>> > requires no hacks as on linux. It just works.
>>
>> Printing is easy.  I find that my Epson printer works better under
>> linux than it ever has under windows.  Why did Epson replace windows'
>> print manager with their own? Because the windows print manager does
>> not respond quickly or none at all.  Try like 5 to 10 minutes to stop a
>> print job. (Win9x series)
>>
> RedHat doesn't even come with a driver for my Panasonic KXP-1123 dot
> matrix! Good grief. How basic can you get? It sook some experimentation
> to find a
> "close enough" driver for my HP DJ810c (works well), but NOTHING works
> with the Panasonic. An still, no USB printing!

I've had no problems with printing. At work though, ha!, printer problems
at about one a week. The other day, the printer stopped printing a large
pdf file half way through. For no reason. Then, trying to kill it from
the print manager (after waiting 10 minutes in hopes it would continue)
did nothing. Anyhow, my $200 Brother laser printer at home (on linux)
prints (at a guess) about 5 times faster than the really expensive laser
printer at work (using Windows). Apples and oranges prolly, but still
always surprises me.

>> > 7. On Linux, there are many different desktop environments, each work
>> > differently. Applications written for one, might not work as expected
>> > on another. On windows, there is one way to do it, making developer
>> > life much simpler and users are familiar with how GUI applications
>> > are
> expected
>> > to behave.
>> >

>> I've never had a problem with different window managers. I'm using
>> Motif
>> 1.4 and have easily compiled games from other Linux distros without any
>> problems. The underlying core are the X-libs.
>>
> Pick one and stick with it. Gnome is pretty good, if it isn't crashing.
> KDE is worthless; how can an average user figure out the ppp
> configuration porgram? Who the heck knows what PAP is? The help system
> is totally worthless...unless you are experienced with Linux. For a
> newbie like me there is no mercy.

KDE is far from worthless and Gnome is quite stable (or so i hear).
Still, just about any window manager is better than the pathetic gui that
is windows. where are the multiple desktops? How can I customize the
right click menu? Or the middle button menu (there ain't one right?)
Where are the usuable dock apps ala Window Maker? Those tiny icons
chained to the Windows system tray are almost worthless.

>> > win2k is VERY stable. The stability claim is getting too old now.
>> > need to find a new one.
>> >

>> Tell that to the space crew up above.  NT crashed quite often.  Only
>> the Russians know what their laptop is running and it didn't crash.
>
> I hardly ever have problems with Win98SE or NT4Sp6. RedHat has been a
> true pain. Gnome locked up so tight that Linux refused to shut down. I
> had to pull the plug. Other times I have had to shutdown and restart X
> because it begins to slow like an overloaded Windows98 system. Also,
> programs load slower than in Windows, and if I'm downloading anything
> the whole system runs in slow motion.

What are your system specs? How could gnome possible have affected your
computers power switch? What programs load more slowly than on Windows?
Sounds like you are trying to do too much with too little.

BTW, my current uptime is a little over 18 days - been running seti@home
the whole time, played the occassional game, burned a few cds, left
gnutella running for close to 2 whole days, turned netscape, mozilla,
pan, and licq on and off too many times to count, and have been listening
to mp3s most of the time that i have been home. Oh and installed and
tried to get a few games working with wine. All in the last 18 days and
all without a single system crash (and only one or two crashed programs),
reboot, or even slowdown. YMMV, but don't expect me to believe that this
would be possible on a win9x machine. Maybe on w2k, but why pay for that
barebones os when i can get everything i want and need plus a whole lot
more for free?

>> If you don't want to run games, get a 64-bit Sun Blade 100 for $950
>> with Solaris 8. If you want to run games there is the PCI card for $400
>> to plug in to run windows.
>
> I have one more to add: software installation. I downloaded WordPerfect
> 8, unzipped it, un"tar"ed it, and it refused to install. Oh, well.
> Downloaded a small GNU-license word processor to upgrade the early
> version that came with RedHat. It said I needed to update several
> libraries and gave their cryptic names. Now what? How much time will it
> take to hunt these down? To some of you guys who lived with Unix since
> your college days this may be fine, but to a small business user who
> wasn't born with Unix in his genes and who needs his tools to work, this
> way of operating is unacceptable. Windows apps just install any needed
> DLL updates (though that has it's own share of problems, but at least
> you can use the app).

Actually, compared to add / remove programs on win98, rpm and kpackage
are great. sure, you sometimes (rarely) need a new lib or something, but
they are not that hard to find (www.rpmfind.net). But these days, this
really isn't an issue unless you live on the bleeding edge. And do you
think your small business user is going anywhere near the bleedin'
bleeding edge? They get everything they need from the standard install.
Updates they can get from their distro company, the same place they get
their support.

> I think it was Winston Churchill who said, "Democracy is the worst form
> of government, except for all the others." I think you could change the
> first clause of this to "Windows is the worst PC OS,..."

Yes, iirc it was WC. The worst os depends on who wants what from their
computers. Typical users don't know anything about their computers and
want everything to be 'easy' and familiar. The only os they have ever
used is windows, which everyone claims is the 'easiest'. What can they
compare their experiences against? Many have never used a mac, much less
a linux gui. At best, maybe they can compare w2k to win3.1 and think
"this is much better."

Me, I try to use windows (have to at work) but keep running into
problems - where is perl, why isn't it already installed? Why do i have
to go and get something as basic as winzip--where is windows zip support?
Why does word keep pestering me about saving in text format? I know it
is text, i set it up that way in the options. Where is the screen capture
tool? The md5sum exe? The shred exe? Where are the themes? The extra
desktops? The network monitoring dockapps? why isn't tex already
installed? (you are a f**king idiot if you think word printouts look
anywhere near as good as tex printouts.) For that matter, where is
postscript support on windows?

All these things and more make me want to run home to my linux
box.

--
Osugi Sakae

From: Phlip <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.theory,comp.arch,comp.object
Subject: Re: Blame it all on Microsoft
Date: 12 Apr 2001 14:20:36 GMT

Proclaimed mlw from the mountaintops:

> Jonas wrote:
>> MS Office offer alot that no one else offer. The overall interaction
>> between Microsoft products is the strenght of the company.
>
> Name one feature in MS Office that isn't offered in Star Office or Applix.

Do they have a macro language?

--
  Phlip                          [EMAIL PROTECTED]
============== http://phlip.webjump.com ==============

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Neil Cerutti)
Subject: Re: What Linux console?
Date: 12 Apr 2001 14:23:22 GMT

Erik Funkenbusch posted:
>"Neil Cerutti" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> I think Microsoft is insane to get into the console gaming
>> market. If SEGA, a company with decades of experience in the
>> field cannot do it right, what makes Microsoft think that
>> *they* can do it?
>
>Microsoft has one advantage that Sega didn't.  It will be a
>breeze for developers to port between the X-Box and Windows (and
>vice versa).  This will be very attractive to many game makers,
>since they can kill two birds with one stone.

I agree, but that advantage doesn't mean anything if Microsoft
can't get the boxes into people's homes. But I don't have an
understanding of why SEGA failed in the console gaming market. It
may well have been due to lack of developer support.

>> In any case, if history is any indication, Microsoft's first try
>> at the Xbox will fail. It remains to be seen if they will make
>> enough money from it to release the next version of the Xbox.
>
>MS has a long history of continuing products for years even if
>they aren't making a lot of money.

I think it's a waste of money. But I don't buy game consoles
so I'm biased. What seems illogical to me (entering the console
gaming market) may well be a good idea. I imagine the most
attractive thing about it is the ability to collect massive
royalty fees from any company that releases software for the
Xbox.

From: Paul Repacholi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 12 Apr 2001 21:23:30 +0800

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter da Silva) writes:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> Ed Allen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Start of Save Set: BASIC-10 V17F EXECUTABLE
> Volume 1 written by System:     RZ111A KL #1026/1042
> Written on: MTA260 at: 15-OCT-1981 14:30 using: 1600 BPI
>
> BASIC     .EXE         120 14-OCT-1981 11:40
>
> End of Save Set: BASIC-10 V17F EXECUTABLE
> Volume 1 written by System:     RZ111A KL #1026/1042
> Written on: MTA260 at: 15-OCT-1981 14:30 using: 1600 BPI

Wrong BASIC. The basic they refer to would have been Dartmouth BASIC.
I think it *may* be in Tim Shoppa's trailing-edge.com archive of 10
DECUS stuff.

--
Paul Repacholi                               1 Crescent Rd.,
+61 (08) 9257-1001                           Kalamunda.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Neil Cerutti)
Date: 12 Apr 2001 14:28:01 GMT

Osugi Sakae posted:
>And DrakeFont in Mandrake adds fonts just fine thank you.

I loved it when I first fired it up and saw the "Import Windows
Fonts" button. It saved me at least five minutes! Of course, none
of this changes that fact that even with every font that came
with Mandrake and every font that came with Windows installed,
there are only about 8 fonts I actually like to use. :-(

--
Neil Cerutti <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
*** The solar collectors on your energy mules are dirty.

------------------------------

From: Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: So much for modules in Linux!
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 15:24:23 +0100

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] says...

> Hi there Wintroll,
>
> "Steve,Mike,Heather,Simon,teknite,keymaster,keys88,Sewer Rat,
> S,Sponge,Sarek,piddy,McSwain,pickle_pete,Ishmeal_hafizi,Amy,
> Simon777,Flatfish+++"

I'm none of the above. Losing your marbles or something?

--
---
Pete Goodwin

------------------------------

From: Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 15:25:08 +0100

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...

> For something that "just works", why does it suck up so many man-hours
> for re-installation of things that have already been installed?
>
> Hmmmmmmmmmmm?

How should I know? Besides, where in my post do I say that?

--
---

From: Karel Jansens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: another example of why Linux is brain dead.
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 15:19:05 +0000

Pete Goodwin wrote:

> Jarko Vihriala wrote:
>
> > First of all you're referring to linux as the complete package,
> > remeber, that the "Linux" is the kernel, the core of the OS,
> > the applications on top of it depend on the used distribution.
>
> "Linux" will be seen by many as the complete package, just as Windows is.

"Windows" is a commercial brand name, marketed as a complete solution.
The Microsoft marketing department wants "Windows" to be seen by the
public as the complete package.

"Linux" OTOH is the name given to the kernel of an operating system; in
general, people who conceive "Linux" as the complete package should not
try to install it on their PCs.

Hint. Hint.

--
Regards,

Karel Jansens
"You're the weakest link. Goodb-No, wait! Stop! Noaaarrghh!!!"

From: Karel Jansens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Windows in space......
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 15:21:30 +0000

Patrick McAllister wrote:

> Fixpack??? Sounds suspiciously OS/2 like! :)

Argh.

My sordid past finally catches up with me.
What's the NT-buzzword then, Service Pack? Agony Aunt? Bug Hunt?

From: Karel Jansens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Basement Boy: Aka Aaron Koookis
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 15:31:16 +0000

Chad Everett wrote:

> On Wed, 11 Apr 2001 16:52:03 -0400, Donn Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
> >
> >> Given access to the source code, which is a given, you need only change
> >> a few lines of code and recompile.  I don't understand why even the
> >> UNIX guys are having trouble with this concept.
> >
> >Yes, but that's Mozilla,  I'm talkin' Netscape 4.76, and there is no
> >source code for that branch.  Mozilla is not Netscape;  it is a totally
> >re-vamped open source version of Netscape.  Netscape 4.76 is
> >closed-source.
> >

> OK...you're correct that it would be very hard to get the source code for
> netscape 4.6 or 4.7x.
>
> but the POINT is that it is very easy to modify a different newsreader (slrn,
> mozilla, etc) and make headers look EXACTLY like those generated by netscape 4.6
> or 4.7x

I can only follow part of this thread (Aaron Kulkis is in my killfile),
but I have to ask anyway: What could _possibly_ be the point of
maskerading a newsreader to make it pretend it is another newsreader??

Wait, I just thought of one: NetScape 4.04 for OS/2 used to have the
option to change its headers from the config menu - no recompile needed,
chaps! - because there were at the time a number of sites that simply
refused to load if your headers didn't say that you were running some
kind of Windows operating system. So NetScape for OS/2 pretended to be
NetScape for Windows, and the stupid sites would load. But this would
only be of importance if you used NetScape as a browser _and_ as a
newsreader as well. And from what I read, Kulkis does not use NetScape
as a newsreader, so WTF????

From: Karel Jansens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 15:34:09 +0000

Peter K=F6hlmann wrote:
> =

> WesTralia wrote:
> > "Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:
> >>
> >> You're making the mistaken assumption that EVERY hacker is supposedl=
> >> an uber-hacker.
> >>
> >> Overestimating your opponents is as pointless as underestimating you=
> >> opponents.  When you over-estimate your opponent's abilities, you
> >> just give in, because you convince yourself that resistance is usele=
ss.

> >> This is why the army, although thermal imaging is available, STILL
> >> camoflauges all equipment, because only SOME opponents have thermal
> >> vision equipment.
> >>
> Well, Aaron, I can still see your rantings because they are posted by
> others.
> =

> I will type now very slowly, so that even you can understand:
> =

> Your supposedly modified header means nothing, nada, zilch.
> If anyone should attempt to attack your system, he would *not* see it
> and therefore it means absolutely *nothing*. It would be different, if
> you had a fixed IP-number, not a dial-in, *and* the would-be-attacker w=
as
> about as dumb as you are, if you really believe that this scheme would
> somehow work to better your security.
> =

> This is just completely braindead. When you have read your "TCPIP for
> extreme dummies" come back to us and tell us how your "camouflage"
> will magically deter or hinder any hackers (even the very dumb ones)
> =

"I could tell you, but then I would have to kill you".

<G>

--
Regards,

Karel Jansens
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

From: Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 15:26:39 +0100

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...

> So.....let's see..
>
> SuSE tells you that something doesn't work.

Then tell me a way to fix it that doesn't work.

> Microsoft won't even admit that something doesn't work, blaming
> it on YOUR software, or YOUR hardware, knowing all along that
> the problem is actually in THEIR CODE.

Um, read my post. Where exactly do I say that it doesn't work?

> And the Microsoft Way is better how, exactly?

Because it just works?

--
---

From: Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 15:30:02 +0100

In article <67835F9B1672E097.1B1624C955FB8E06.65DB69530C69BD68
@lp.airnews.net>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...

> Got this neat book you can buy.
>
> "Linux For Dummies" by Phil Hughes
>
> IDG BOOKS

I believe I have this book. Sorry, but it doesn't help me much.

--
---

From: Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 15:28:11 +0100

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
> That would involve THINKING.
>
> ..something which is truly beyond the capabilities of the typical windroid.

And clearly demonstrated by you since you haven't paid any attention to
what I've written.

--
---