From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: W2K/IIS proves itself over Linux/Tux
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 01:32:31 -0400

Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
> > >
> > > "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > news:9dliov$kjd$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> only

> > > Are you trying to suggest that there are no linux servers that ever
> crash
> > > within the first 100 or 200 days?  I hate to tell you this, but there
> are.
> >
> > Not with nightly reboots.
>
> Then you're lying.  I have a Linux machine here that crashes after 10
> minutes of use.  Of course it's got a flaky video card, but that's beside
> the point.  Flaky hardware is included in the averages.

Translation: "I, Erik Funkybreath, am a complete loser"

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 01:34:33 -0400

Jan Johanson wrote:

> "Matthew Gardiner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > > Abit BX-133 Mb w/current bios
> > > Pentium III 500
> > > 256 Mb PC-133 ECC
> > > Four 40 gig Seagate 7200 rpm ATA100 drives stripped and mirrored in
> hardware
> > > (onboard HPT370 dual channel RAID controller)
> > > 2 x Intel Server NICs
> > > generic CD-ROM and floppy
> > > aopen case, no extra cooling
> > > generic SIS AGP video card cause we use terminal services for remote
> admin
> > > so we almost never login locally.
> > > APC 1400 UPS connected via serial cable
> > >
> > > EVERYTHING without exception loaded using the standard Windows 2000
> Server
> > > CD, I upgraded the NIC adapter driver cause there were some neat
> features in
> > > the intel driver instead of the one from MS, but that was unnecessary.
> > >
> > > Works perfectly solid, we started at 128 megs but upgraded to 256 when
> we
> > > decided to run active directory on this machine after that department
> was
> > > moved to a different floor. It's backed up over the network so no local
> > > backup device.
> > >
> > > Thats it. Nothing special.
> > >
> > > CPU utilization is practically nothing - we only used the 500 cause it
> was
> > > the best price break at the time of purchase.
> > How much ($) for 144 licenses? had you used Linux, or if you used a
> > commercial UNIX, Solaris 8 x86 or UNIXWare 7.1.1 you wouldn't have those
> > issues.
>
> Have what issues? I have no issues. yes, I paid for the CALs - yep, sure
> did.

Boy, did you get ripped off.

You could have bout a FLEET of Sun systems with that....and one Sun
desktop machine can do the work of 10 Mafia$oft servers.

>     But everything works perfectly. I get what I pay for and it works
> BETTER than anything else with the Windows desktops it supports. You have
> given me no reason why I'd want to switch to using unix to support windows
> desktops other than the upfront, one time purchase cost (and forgetting it
> costs more to support a unix server cause it's harder to configure and
> operate)

Solaris is only difficult to administrate for COMPLETE MORONS like you, Jan.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 01:35:16 -0400

Jan Johanson wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Jan Johanson wrote:
> > >
> > > "Matthew Gardiner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> knows
> > > what

> > > processors)

> remember
> go
> you
> > >
> > > Look - face it, the heat generated by 4 more processors over 8 is
> > > insignificant - if we were talking 32 more processors then ok something
> > > talk about. 4 more processors? ANY decent server case will have no
> problem
> > > cooling that. Any half decent data center isn't going to even be able to
> > > measure the increase in load from 4 more processors. You are really
> > > desperate here aren't you?
> >
> > For ONE machine...no.
> >
> > For 100 machines in a machine room YES..
> >

> good thing we're only talking about ONE machine.

And this applies to the business environment how, exactly?

> > MORON.
>
> yes, you are a MORON.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 01:36:16 -0400

GreyCloud wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:
> >
> > Jan Johanson wrote:
> > >
> > > "Matthew Gardiner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > > Hmmm
> > > Cost to cool room with 8 processor server: $2000 a year
> > > Cost to cool room with 12 processor server: $2010 a year
> > > Cost to embaress Matt on usenet again: priceless!
> >
> > Evidently, Yan Yohanson has never taken a thermodynamic course.
>
> He may very well have! :-))  Someone caught him sticking his toe in the
> water to see if it was too cold.  That someone shoved him in to see if
> there were any sharks about so he could go swimming!

That's the training for "Dealing with Mafia$oft representatives"

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why Linux Is no threat to Windows domination of the desktop
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 01:37:06 -0400

Robert W Lawrence wrote:

> "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> <> Then you admit that it's a choice.
> <>
> <>Do you think ceberal paulsy a choice? Hint: it isn't genetic.
>
> HMMM??? Are you claiming then that homosexual behavior is a disease????????

Close.  He's claiming that it's the RESULT of a disease

Or something.

> Robert W Lawrence
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> 1Peter 5:7

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 01:37:47 -0400

Ed Cogburn wrote:

>         Aaron is at it again, proving just how little he knows of the subject
> he is pontificating on now.  I don't know why I bother saying this since
> he won't listen.  He's still got the idiotic sig, even though just about
> everyone here in cola has asked him (or worse) to trim it.  By the way,
> if it matters, I'm not gay.  Anyway, here goes:
>
> "Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:
> >
> > Roberto Alsina wrote:
> > >
> > > The above statement is true.
> > > So is this one: "Heterosexual intercourse leads to AIDS...
> > > especially when a condom breaks".
> >
> > Only in Africa.
>
> Everywhere.  Asia, Russia, you name it.
>
> > You see, the female reproductive tract is MADE to deal with foreign
> > genetic material.  The rectum is not.
>
> UTTER BULLSHIT.  AIDS is devastating the population in many parts of
> Africa.  Zimbabwe has houses full of orphaned children who's parents
> have died by AIDS.  A substantial number of these children have AIDS
> themselves.  A huge percentage of the Zimbabwe's adult population has
> AIDS, I can't remember the number, but its large enough to have a severe
> impact in that country for many generations to come.  Now the facts:
> THERE IS NO GAY COMMUNITY THERE.  THERE IS NO SIGNIFICANT GAY COMMUNITY
> ANYWHERE IN AFRICA.  AIDS IS, AND HAS BEEN FOR DECADES, SPREADING
> ENTIRELY BY HETEROSEXUAL CONTACT.  The same is now true for Asia, and
> Russia's weakened medical system leaves their population vulnerable to
> diseases and viri normally kept under control when under communism.
> AIDS is one of the growing problems in Russia.
>
> P.S.  Woman are more vulnerable to AIDS then men are.  This is proven.
> Your suggestion about them being able to better deal with viral invaders
> has no foundation in fact or medical evidence.  Think about it for just
> a second, women are the ones that are having foreign material put inside
> them by a man, not vice-versa.  Furthermore, for reproduction to happen
> the female body must deliberately leave itself vulnerable to other
> infections in order to allow sperm to reach the egg.
>
> P.P.S  As for not being "born gay", I saw a documentary here in the
> States, which demonstrated that lab rats can be caused to give birth to
> a homosexual rat by interfering and modifying the waves of hormones that
> naturally are produced by the mother and sent to the fetus, who's
> development is controlled by hormones.  Homosexual rats exhibit
> homosexual behavior that does not alter from birth to death.  I don't
> know about the genetics argument (I have anecdotal evidence, multiple
> homosexuals in one family, but that argument goes on still) but there is
> no question about being "born gay".  Most gays are strongly homosexual
> at birth and stay that way to death.  As for the remaining minority, a
> weak sexual "imprint" of the brain might explain the strange behavior
> seen, it could explain the gays that can go either way for example.

So you admit that it's a birth defect.

> Aaron, when you don't know what you're talking about, do yourself  a
> favor and just shut up, because you just made yourself look like a real
> idiot.
>
> --
> It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong.  -- Voltaire

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Linux in college & high school
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 01:41:32 -0400

somebody wrote:

> Craig Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> stands accused of saying:
>
> >Well, MacOS X is simply Apple's version of Linux.
>
> is freebsd simply freebsd's version of Linux?

No.  FreeBSD is based on the Berkely version (BSD) of Unix.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: Snaggler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux posts #1 TPC-H result (W2K still better)
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 05:48:58 GMT

On 15 May 2001 22:28:02 -0500, "Jan Johanson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> > And, what's this? The linux solution uses a fiber channel storage array
>> > connected via 5 PCI controllers (whew!) versus a single plain jane scsi
>card
>> > in the compaq.
>>
>> "Plain jane" scsi?  Where'd you come up with that one?
>
>US slang - figure it out.

Plain Jane SCSI, that's brilliant. Did you bother to read the Full
Disclosure by Compaq? Obviously not because you would have read the
"Storage Enclosure" section and found that Compaq used not one but two
SMART Array Controllers, one of which was a four-channel model + 2
15K drives. The SGI/Linux box used 36.4 gig 10K drives. I personally
don't agree with this choice, but that's what SGI did. You don't think
that will make a bit of a difference in performance though? Fiber
channel is really arbitrary at this point, as the drives are one of
the main bottle-necks on any system. Did you really believe one "Plain
Jane" SCSI card could achieve that type of performance? If you did,
you're more naive than I thought. I would like to see the 15K drives
on the SGI and see what happens.

Ok, the UNISYS box is another story. It uses 7 Mylex Extreme RAID
2000's to help achieve it's performance. There is no real-world
configuration of it (striping, etc), and the 2000 configuration of the
disks will be very fun to recover in the event of a massive controller
failure. I wouldn't touch the Mylex Extreme RAID with a hundred foot
pole, considering I've worked with all the bizarre disk configurations
that administrators can come up with on Mylex hardware.