From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: What's the point
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 00:14:44 -0700

"Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:

> "cat < nonsense > cola" wrote:

> > and
> > web

> > learned
> > I'm
> >
> > If you have an income, want to enjoy technology as it becomes available, (or
> > within a reasonable time thereafter) and just want to 'do stuff' then no,
> > there is no point in running linux. None at all.
> > Better than 90% of computer users in the world run some form of windows,
> > like it or not.
> > If you have more than passing interest in computer science because you more
> > than just 'enjoy it', then indeed, run linux.
> >
> > People in this group have been spreading BS for years about the ease of
> > linux as an inducement to potential new users.
>
> You are definitely fulfilling your self-proclaimed title of
>
> cat < nonsense   > cola
>
> Since you admit that what you're writing is nonsense, what's your point?
>
> --
> Aaron R. Kulkis
> Unix Systems Engineer
> DNRC Minister of all I survey
> ICQ # 3056642
>
> L: This seems to have reduced my spam. Maybe if everyone does it we
>    can defeat the email search bots.  [EMAIL PROTECTED] [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>    [EMAIL PROTECTED] [EMAIL PROTECTED] [EMAIL PROTECTED] [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> K: Truth in advertising:
>         Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shalala,
>         Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakhan,
>         Special Interest Sierra Club,
>         Anarchist Members of the ACLU
>         Left Wing Corporate Extremist Ted Turner
>         The Drunken Woman Killer Ted Kennedy
>         Grass Roots Pro-Gun movement,
>
> J: Other knee_jerk reactionaries: billh, david casey, redc1c4,
>    The retarded sisters: Raunchy (rauni) and Anencephielle (Enielle),
>    also known as old hags who've hit the wall....
>
> I: Loren Petrich's 2-week stubborn refusal to respond to the
>    challenge to describe even one philosophical difference
>    between himself and the communists demonstrates that, in fact,
>    Loren Petrich is a COMMUNIST ***hole
>
> H: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire
>     premises, it is my belief, and Willard concurs, that the reason
>     you folks feel listless and disoriented is simply because
>     you are lazy, stupid people"
>
> G:  Knackos...you're a retard.
>
> F: Unit_4's "Kook hunt" reminds me of "Jimmy Baker's" harangues against
>    adultery while concurrently committing adultery with Tammy Hahn.
>
> E: Jet is not worthy of the time to compose a response until
>    her behavior improves.
>
> D: Jet Silverman now follows me from newgroup to newsgroup
>    ...despite (C) above.
>
> C: Jet Silverman claims to have killfiled me.
>
> B: Jet Silverman plays the fool and spews out nonsense as a
>    method of sidetracking discussions which are headed in a
>    direction that she doesn't like.
>
> A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

LOL!  nonsense changes his handle so often it seems that he has both
feet firmly planted in the air!

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 00:18:32 -0700

"Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:

> Todd wrote:
> >
> > Welcome to Linux.
> >
> > It takes endless hours to do simple things that under Windows is done
> > automatically.
>
> You have it reversed, moron.
>
> Tell us how much 3 hours of repetitive, monotonous, error-prone, point-and-drool
> menu-clicking is superior to a 5-line script which accomplishes the same task
> in 3 seconds.
>

> > And they say it is a conspiracy.
>
> The Windows empire is nothing more than a confederacy of dunces.

Not only that, windows is a drain on the Health Care system... carpal
tunnel syndrome.

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Perl and Tcl/Tk: How important are they?
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 00:21:50 -0700

"Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:

> [...]
>
> Therefore, learning shell scripting is a higher priority than perl scripting.
>
> in fact, I'm a *HIGHLY* paid, high-responsibility admin, and I've only
> had to deal with perl once, and never really did get the hang of it.
>
> Everywhere else, perl just adds confusion, because it's no universally known.
> Which leads to a chicken-and-the-egg problem.
>

> > > 3) Are there other important scripting languages that are also widely used
> > > that I should be aware of?
> > >
> > With Unix/Linx scripting languages, learning one gives you a great
> > foundation to learn another.  And welcome to the side of light. I too was
> > once a losedos user and tech support of losedos networks.
> >
> > > Thanks for the feedback!
> > >
> > > --

> > > Bryant Charleston
> > > A+ Network + MCSE (NT4)
> > > Linux (RedHat 7) Enthusiast

> > Michael Vester
> > A credible Linux advocate
> >
> > "The avalanche has started, it is
> > too late for the pebbles to vote"
> > Kosh, Vorlon Ambassador to Babylon 5
>
> --
> Aaron R. Kulkis
> Unix Systems Engineer
> DNRC Minister of all I survey
> ICQ # 3056642
>
> L: This seems to have reduced my spam. Maybe if everyone does it we
>    can defeat the email search bots.  [EMAIL PROTECTED] [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>    [EMAIL PROTECTED] [EMAIL PROTECTED] [EMAIL PROTECTED] [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> K: Truth in advertising:
>         Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shalala,
>         Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakhan,
>         Special Interest Sierra Club,
>         Anarchist Members of the ACLU
>         Left Wing Corporate Extremist Ted Turner
>         The Drunken Woman Killer Ted Kennedy
>         Grass Roots Pro-Gun movement,
>
> J: Other knee_jerk reactionaries: billh, david casey, redc1c4,
>    The retarded sisters: Raunchy (rauni) and Anencephielle (Enielle),
>    also known as old hags who've hit the wall....
>
> I: Loren Petrich's 2-week stubborn refusal to respond to the
>    challenge to describe even one philosophical difference
>    between himself and the communists demonstrates that, in fact,
>    Loren Petrich is a COMMUNIST ***hole
>
> H: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire
>     premises, it is my belief, and Willard concurs, that the reason
>     you folks feel listless and disoriented is simply because
>     you are lazy, stupid people"
>
> G:  Knackos...you're a retard.
>
> F: Unit_4's "Kook hunt" reminds me of "Jimmy Baker's" harangues against
>    adultery while concurrently committing adultery with Tammy Hahn.
>
> E: Jet is not worthy of the time to compose a response until
>    her behavior improves.
>
> D: Jet Silverman now follows me from newgroup to newsgroup
>    ...despite (C) above.
>
> C: Jet Silverman claims to have killfiled me.
>
> B: Jet Silverman plays the fool and spews out nonsense as a
>    method of sidetracking discussions which are headed in a

Correct!  All of the startup scripts are written in sh (Bourne Shell).
This was also covered in comp.os.solaris ng... same question... same
answer.

From: "Adam Warner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Red Hat has become scary?
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 19:19:35 +1200

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Adam
Warner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> In article <x2MD6.167958$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "B. R. Ivy"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> Does anyone out there think that Red Hat is moving towards a
>> proprietory OS? I really appreciated the way that RH 7.0 installed but
>> it almost seemed too slick.  And now they want to bundle in the way too
>> pretty Nautilus GUI with 7.1.   I'd hate to wake up five years from now
>> with another Microsoft on the horizon. Ideas? Opinions?
>>
>> Randall Ivy
>
> Mate you're a little uninformed. The software you're describing is free
> software. End of discussion.

For example, if you compare the license agreement for Nautilus...:

http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html

...to a standard Microsoft license agreement you should be able to
understand why the proposition that Redhat could be another Microsoft is
so far-fetched.

In the future if Redhat decided to develop proprietary software instead of
their largely exemplary free/open source software development, then Redhat
would lose many customers extremely quickly. There's no other distributors
of Microsoft Windows. There's many Linux distributions and distributors to
choose from. So long as Redhat meets the expectations of many in the free
software community it will remain extremely popular.

Regards,
Adam

------------------------------

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Am I ****? HP Photosmart C500 and Win 2000
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 00:25:26 -0700

Ed wrote:

> Tor, you seem to be obsessed with your claim that "to be f*****" is correct
> and common English.  Now I've been to Norway several times, and I find it to
> be a fine country with wonderful people, many of whom speak English quite
> well, but I can't help but observe that for most of them it is not their
> native language, and they would probably refrain from lecturing others on
> correct usage of it.
>
> As for your specific claim, you seem an intelligent fellow, but you cannot
> be serious when you claim that "f***" is acceptable and normal English.
> Perhaps it was 400 years ago on a dock in London, but this is not 400 years
> ago.  This is here and now, and the word "f***" is currently considered not
> acceptable for public usage.  So continue to amuse yourself with Ye Olde
> Dictionary if you like, but you really aren't at all persuasive on the
> matter.

You'd be in total shock then if you came to the U.S.  Ya hear it all
over the place.. even in the elementary school yards.

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Pete Goodwin is in good company
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 00:31:09 -0700

Roy Culley wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>         Matthew Gardiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> > Matthew Gardiner wrote:
> >>
> >> Give the memory test ago, should only take around 30 minutes.  oh, btw,
> >> I couldn't be bothered upgrading to KDE 2.1, maybe that could be the
> >> problem?
> >>
> > Yet no reply for 2 days. hmm, Pete is suffering from the typical luser
> > syndrom called "It ain't fucking work'in, but I won't do anything about
> > it".  I offer a suggest, but no, that would mean that his problem is
> > solve, thus, nothing to bitch about, and as a result, poor old Pete
> > would have nothing to bitch about.
>
> As PG has stated on numerous occasions he isn't looking for help. He
> just wants to point out how crap any Linux distribution is. The problems
> are clearly somewhere between the keyboard and the chair.

That may very well be.  PG seems like a good fellow, but then again I
may be wrong.

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: NT kiddies, don't try this at home
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 00:33:44 -0700

"Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:

> GreyCloud wrote:

> > > Gee, here at NCSU, I just took down an old AIX 1 server (IBM Model
> > > 80/386) that had been up continuously from 1989 through 2000 after the
> > > Y2K rollover (it was even Y2K compliant).   Mostly it was put out to
> > > pasture for no good reason, except to drop a sparc in its place.
> > > During 12 years of operation, its only problem was one HD bellyup.
> > >
> > > My NT4 box, well, it regularly bluescreens me, at least once a month,
> > > for no good reason.... such fun....
> > >
> > > There is something to be said for something as ```remains of Pompeii''
> > > in serverdom... if it works, don't muck it up with that other pointy
> > > clicky thingie that bluescreens you to boredom....
> > >
> > > Good ol' *nix runs forever......
> > >
> > > Bob
> >
> > That's pretty much true.  There was survey FWIW between IBM S/390,
> > AS/400 users and UNIX users as which O/S was the most reliable.  It
> > varied of course but most put in UNIX as the most reliable, while some
> > AS/400 users said that the S/390 was the best.  IBM is now claiming 35
> > years guaranteed uptime.... I don't know how that could be determined.
>
> IBM has some pretty esoteric technology, with load-balancing among
> CPU's etc.  I'm quite confident that multiple CPU's within an AS/400
> or S/390 could crash and reboot without ANY process being harmed
> in the slightest...and the operators never even being aware of it.

I forgot about that part.  It doesn't surprise me tho about IBM.

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Blame it all on Microsoft
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 00:40:23 -0700

Robert O'Dowd wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:
> >
> > Peter da Silva wrote:

> > > That turns out to be harder than it looks, unless one doesn't mind losing
> > > jobs because one can't deal with oddball Windows-only stuff that customers
> > > send you. And Star Office is just the beginning.
> >
> > Simple.  You tell them to send it back to you in a format that's useable.
> >
> > People do this all the time.
>
> Yeah, right.   Few paying customers would be willing to go to the
> internet,
> grab a 50ish Meg file with star office, install the package, rewrite
> a document using that package, and then send you that file.
> Particularly
> when they are using a widespread package such as microsoft word, and
> know you can obtain it easily.

Who in the hell can afford MS Word??  Even on my IBM I don't have it.

I receive a few word doc files and have to respond to them to resend it
in text format.
It's only common courtesy to send a text document in text format.

Besides, StarOffice is FREE!!

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why linux is good and a complaint about RedHat
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 09:42:56 +0100

> Have you tried SuSE Linux?

No, I haven't.

I've heard it is pretty good, though and I might try it out if I get the
chance, but I don't have time to set up a new distro and get it exactly
how I want (which is what I've got now).

I also reccomended RH to a friend (hence the saga about the init scripts
on RH7) because I'm familiar with RH and could help them very easily (I
have very little time at the moment).

But what I have found is that once it's set up, it s absoloutely fine.

-Ed

--
I spillced coffcee cincto my kcey boardc.c As a rcesulct, c's gcet
inctermixcced with cwactever I ctypce. Plcease replace mcy kceyboard.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 17:38:52 +1000
From: Ian Pulsford <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: gnu.misc.discuss,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,misc.int-property
Subject: Re: What is 99 percent of copyright law? was Re: Richard Stallman

Isaac wrote:

> On Thu, 19 Apr 2001 15:17:03 GMT, Barry Margolin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> >Tim Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >>
> >>The RIPEM authors did that to make FSF happy.  They didn't *have* to do
> >>it to satisfy any legal requirements for distribution of their code, so
> >>it was not "necessary".
> >
> >Since it never went to court, we don't really know whether it was legally
> >necessary or not.
> >

> I think both of you are using a definition of "necessary" far more
> stringent than the original poster intended.   I don't believe the
> FSF was bluffing when they suggested that they were willing to sue
> over the issue, so assuming that the author of RIPEM didn't wanted
> to be sued over something he was distributing for free, as source,
> with as few restrictions as he could legally impose, finding a way to
> accomodate the FSF's position was necessary.
>
> If you want to be really pedantic about things, the author had a
> number of options.  He could have just decided to stop distributing
> RIPEM, so there was no necessity at all.
>
> Isaac

I can't wait for the first real test of this sad blight on opensource
(the GPL) to be seriously tested in court and watch it fall apart.  It's
interesting how the FSF picks on the small developers, don't you think?

IanP

--
"Dear someone you've never heard of,
how is so-and-so. Blah blah.