From: Matthew Gardiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Red Hat has become scary?
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2001 13:10:29 +1200

WesTralia wrote:

> Matthew Gardiner wrote:
> >
> > <snype>
> > >
> > > Actually a lot of americans ask this same question... why us?
> > > (policemen)  The corruption is so deep and wide spread that its no
> > > wonder when an american goes overseas for a vacation that we get spit
> > > on.  Its really sad that we have no control over them.  Its like it
> > > doesn't matter anymore at the voting booth.
> > > --
> > After seeing the elections, I would be very scared to be an American
> > citizen esp. when a court car over ride the peoples will.
> >
> > Matthew Gardiner
>
> If you are to continue making disparaging comments about America and her
> people at least do so with correct spelling and sentence structure.
>
> In other words, you are not exactly making New Zealand look like the
> educational mecca of the world.
>
> --
New Zealands got more problems than you could poke a stick at.  I was
simply saying what should have happened was the people will should have
followed instead of dragging the election through the courts. Isn't
better for an election to take a little longer in the knowledge that
everything is above board?

Matthew Gardiner

--
I am the resident BOFH (Bastard Operator From Hell)

If you don't like it, you can go [# rm -rf /home/luser] yourself

Running SuSE Linux 7.1

The best of German engineering, now in software form

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donovan Rebbechi)
Subject: Re: Why left-wing communist assholes hate Reagan.  (was Re:
Communism,    Communist propagandists in the US...still..to this day.)
Date: 21 Apr 2001 01:12:00 GMT

On Fri, 20 Apr 2001 05:01:29 GMT, Tracy Hochheimer wrote:
> Donovan Rebbechi wrote:
>>
> What does this have to do with Linux advocacy? Is Linux, an
> Is Lamic womans choice of OS?

see the manpage for "topic drift".

If you'd been  hanging out here as long as the people in this thread have,
you'd realise that pretty much anything goes in this group

--
Donovan Rebbechi * http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/ *
elflord at panix dot com

------------------------------

From: Matthew Gardiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2001 13:15:20 +1200

<snype>

> It's a good thing the US Supreme Court didn't do this though.  They
> upheld the people's choice by not allowing the Democrats in Florida
> to manufacture votes only in counties they thought they could
> control the voting in.  In the US, our presidents are elected by
> the Electoral College.  In turns out, of course, after some of the
> media recounts done in the last couple of months that Bush did,
> in fact, win Florida...and the Electoral College.   Of course
> everyone knew this in November too.
>
> By the way, when are you New Zealanders going to get a constitution?

Hmm, good question, when are we going to get one? Every time there is a
discussion some prick always wants to have a "committee" to discuss
things, thus slowing things down even more.  Well as far as I know, we
go by the UK Constitution, and we have a couple of extra laws surround
it, such as the Human Rights Act and the Treaty of Waitangi, which form
the basis of the government and legal system.  As for the election, it
hasn't happened yet, however, in normal parliamentary circumstances the
governor general would dissolve parliament and call for a fresh
election.

Matthew Gardiner

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donovan Rebbechi)
Subject: Re: What's the point
Date: 21 Apr 2001 01:18:35 GMT

On Fri, 20 Apr 2001 19:28:17 -0500, Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
> "Roy Culley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> When talking about your file system, there shouldn't be *ANY* bugs.  MS is

In a perfect world, there'd be no bugs, for sure.

> very loathe to make changes to it's file system, and when it does, it spends
> eons testing them.  FAT32 started testing before Windows 95 came out, but
> didn't actually appear in a product until nearly 2 years later.

ReiserFS has been in development for a long time.

> Any possible bug in your filesystem should scare the living hell out of you.
> One bug can corrupt your entire disk.

Yes, it can. but it's not true that all bugs will "corrupt your
entire disk". ReiserFS has been in use for quite a while. Personally,
I'm about to take the jump and stick it on the RAIDs at work.

From: Matthew Gardiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2001 13:21:56 +1200

<snype>

> >Hell no, I'm not intimidated. I am not xenophobic either.  To be totally
> >correct, what attracts many of the brightest people from places such as
> >Eastern Europe and Asia is the attractive pay, compared to the miserable
> >$US50 they would otherwise get if they lived in Russia or the Czech
> >Republic.  What I am pointing out is the naivety the general populous
> >show to the world around them.  For example, you look at CNN and the
> >TIME magazine.  TIME, a magazine that supposedly is meant to be the news
> >of the world, yet for 3 fucking months I had to put up with, George Bush
> >this and George Bush that! as if the whole world had come to a grinding
> >halt during the elections. Hello? people are dying in Africa, East Timor
> >and South America, yet the biggest story is whether George Debwya Bush
> >gets in!
> >

> Yeah!  Those New Zealand magazines sure did step up to the plate when they
> needed to, huh?
Sarcasm, the lowest form of rebutle. Most New Zealand magazines don't
advertise themselves to the world audience.  The TIME magazine is meant
to tbe a magazine focused on the whole world, not just one country.

> >Don't get me wrong, I have visited the US, and like every country, there
> >are good points and bad points, however, I do get pissed off when people
> >elevate the US, in fact any country, to a status higher than god. When
> >students who leave school who have no concept of the rest of the world.
> >Don't even know the names of politicians from overseas let alone where
> >the US's major trading partners are located! then people should start to
> >be concerned about where their country is heading. Need I say more after
> >watching the 60 minutes report in regard to US students.
> >
> >Matthew Gardiner
> >

> You go guy!  New Zealanders rule!  Well...they rule New Zealand anyway.
I was pointing out the lack of knowledge not only by US students, but
students in general in regards to the rest of the world.  We have idiots
in New Zealand who think they can hide away and don't have to worry
about what the rest of the world is doing. I was simply pointing out
that people need to open their eyes to the rest of the world.

Matthew Gardiner

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donovan Rebbechi)
Crossposted-To:
misc.survivalism,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,soc.singles,alt.society.liberalism,talk.politics.guns
Subject: Re: Why left-wing communist assholes hate Reagan. (was Re: Communism,
Communist propagandists in the US...still..to this day.)
Date: 21 Apr 2001 01:22:58 GMT

On Fri, 20 Apr 2001 16:19:13 -0700, Gunner © wrote:
> On Fri, 20 Apr 2001 16:08:59 GMT, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>>   >> If you get caught with a women that is not your wife,you can go to jail
>>   >> for this;the women might be put to death.
>>
>>   Aaron> What part of adultery is against the law do you not understand?
>>
>>It's a freedom thing, you would not understand.
>
> Not in Muslim countries, according to THEIR laws.

Please don't confuse "Muslim country" with "Religious/Islamic State",
the two are not the same thing.

And yes, it is a "freedom thing", and freedom tends to get stomped all
over when religion sticks its nose into government (regardless of whether
the religion happens to be Islam or some other religion)

From: Matthew Gardiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft
Subject: Re: Exploit devastates WinNT/2K security
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2001 13:26:31 +1200

Bob Hauck wrote:

> On Fri, 20 Apr 2001 15:38:16 +1200, Matthew Gardiner
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Microsoft love re-inventing the wheel over and over again.  There was a
> > perfectly adequate file sharing protocol, called NFS which all UNIX's
>
> NFS is not really suitable for the kind of peer-to-peer file sharing
> that MS wanted to do.  If you have root on your own machine, you can
> easily read all the other files off the NFS server.
>
> The NFS security model works ok for an environment where users are on
> terminals (X or plain) hanging off one of a group of mainframes that
> are all under central administration.  It is lousy for a PC-style
> computing environment.

With that being said, aren't we gradually moving back to centralised
computing with technologies such as dot-net, One.net and numerous
reiterations. The old yo-yo of technology, bash old technology, then 20
years later, welcome it back as if it was a new idea.

Matthew Gardiner

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donovan Rebbechi)
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,us.military.army,soc.singles
Subject: Re: OT: Treason (was Re: Communism)
Date: 21 Apr 2001 01:26:52 GMT

On Sat, 21 Apr 2001 00:11:05 +0100, Ace Agincourt wrote:
> Hi Roberto,

> Serbia was at war with the Kosovas.  Are you claiming that the mass
> murders did not occur.

They are mass *murders* only if they are war *crimes*, ie they are
unlawful even in the context of war. Are you claiming the mass murders
were not war crimes ?

> Also, Hitler went to war against the Jews.
> Are you a holocaust denier?

The NAZIs were tried as war *criminals*, meaning their killings were found
to be unlwaful.

From: Matthew Gardiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Aaron Kuklis Arrested!
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2001 13:30:32 +1200

Peter Hayes wrote:

> On Fri, 20 Apr 2001 17:58:15 +1200, Matthew Gardiner
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > how come you posted it using HTML encoding?
>
> I don't see any HTML encoding, where is it?
>
> Peter
Sorry, my fault. Darn Communicator keeps fucking things up, oh well, at
least I'm not getting hacked.

Matthew Gardiner

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donovan Rebbechi)
Date: 21 Apr 2001 01:31:21 GMT

On Fri, 20 Apr 2001 22:50:40 +0200, Roy Culley wrote:
> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>       "spicerun" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> solve so many problems. I've used rpm and deb and deb is far superior.
> The bad news is that the most popular Linux distro's, RedHat, Mandrake,
> SuSE, use rpm.

Why do you think this is ? It's because deb is *NOT* far superior at all.
For someone building packages, it is not as good.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donovan Rebbechi)
Crossposted-To: comp.theory,comp.arch,comp.object
Subject: Re: Blame it all on Microsoft
Date: 21 Apr 2001 01:31:57 GMT

On Fri, 20 Apr 2001 20:40:02 GMT, Webmaster wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Apr 2001 17:10:00 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost
> In The Machine) wrote:
>
>>allows it to use a proper file system, like reiserfs, xfs, or
>
> Isn't xfs the X Font Server?

Yes, it's also that. Too many acronyms, huh ?

From: Matthew Gardiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Justice Department LOVES Microsoft!
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2001 13:33:06 +1200

Edwin wrote:

> "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:9bolc7$a8u$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > > The problem is not that Windows or Office are bad software. They aren't.
> > > Windows and Office are both fabulous.
> >
> > Hahahahah!
> >
> > Windows and office are _appauling_ products!
> >
> Of course.  That's why so many people buy them, because they want to be
> appalled.

Thats why so many people use drugs. Even though they might die because
of aids or OD, they still take them.  Apply that logic to Microsoft
products + the fact that most users are complete and utter morons, then
you have the answer.

Matthew Gardiner

From: Matthew Gardiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why do Win advocates suck?  Part 1
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2001 13:43:13 +1200

<snype>

> It's like this.  Sure, Linux is robust and it stays up and running
> compared to Windows 98 (or whatever version).  But having a computer
> and its OS stay up is quite boring if there are no applications to
> run on the damn thing!  I mean, sitting there all day long listening
> to the computer fan while Linux runs and I have no apps to play with
> doesn't exactly give me a woody!
>
> If you are into sitting around listening to a computer fan all day,
> then Linux is for you.  If you like hot rodding around with the latest
> and coolest commercial, shareware, and freeware apps, then Windows is
> the only choice!
>
> I didn't make the rules, this is just the way it is for right now.

I have Civilisation, Simcity 3000 for Linux, for wordprocessing,
spreadsheet and presentations I used StarOffice 5.2, btw is very stable,
I used for University studies.  The old argument that Linux lacks the
apps is based on nothing but pure FUD. I could accept that if you
heavily relied on Macros for your work, then maybe StarOffice is not the
best option, however, the general home user never uses those options.
Most just jump on the computer and start typing a letter etc etc, hence,
StarOffice would suit the average user.

Matthew Gardiner

From: Matthew Gardiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2001 13:47:30 +1200

Roy Culley wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>         Matthew Gardiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> > <snype>

> >> Well if she were to come to Switzerland I'd offer her a job. Think about
> >> it, great country, excellent standard of living and Unix people can name
> >> their price.
> > Just looked through the local paper today at jobs in Wellington:
> >
> > UNIX, UNIX, UNIX, UNIX, JAVA, UNIX, Lotus Notes, C/C++ UNIX, Linux/UNIX.
> >
> > Salaries ranging from 65K up to 120K.  Great standard of living, cheap,
> > clean and green country and a woman as a prime minister, what more can a
> > person ask for?
>
> But being down under most live sporting events happen when you are
> snugly sleeping in bed. Thats too big a sacrifice for me. Other than
> that NZ sounds like a great place.

If you're not into sports, there is quite a few theatres and art
galleries in Wellington that quite interesting.

Matthew Gardiner

From: Matthew Gardiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Pete Goodwin is in good company
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2001 13:52:45 +1200

<snype>
> That's now largely a thing of the past. I pay Demon =C2=A310.75/month p=
lus
> =C2=A35/month to BT for Surftime evening (6pm-8am) and weekend (6pm Fri=
day-8am
> Monday) unmetered access. Also =C2=A315/month to BT Internet for 24/7 u=
nmetered
> access with 2 hour cutoffs. (One of them is going soon...).
> =

> Peter
I pay $30 for line rental, which works out to be around 10 Pounds a
month, un-metred calls 24/7/365, and 24.95 for Internet, which works out
to be around 8 Pounds. So for 18 Pounds a month I get unlimited Internet
Access.

Matthew Gardiner

-- =

From: "B.B." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 20:57:11 -0500

@>
@> Hahahahah!
@>
@> Windows and office are _appauling_ products!
@>
@Of course.  That's why so many people buy them, because they want to be
@appalled.

   Lots of people rent "Faces of Death" for the same reason.  Could be
Mr. Paperclip-related, but I don't know.

--
B.B.             --I am not a goat! [EMAIL PROTECTED] @airmail.net

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine)
Subject: Re: Perl and Tcl/Tk: How important are they?
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2001 02:00:18 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Aaron Ginn
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote
on 20 Apr 2001 15:32:05 -0700
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>> Michael Vester wrote:
>
>> > Depends on what you are doing. I invested time in learning Perl.
>> > It can do anything the shell and much, much more. Also, Perl is
>> > on just about every Unix/Linux system out there.  Start at
>> > www.cpan.org
>
>A perhaps pedantic example of Perl not being able to do everything a
>shell can do...
>
>You can't change an environment variable other than for child
>processes.  You have to use a shell to do this.

$ENV{"VARIABLE"} = 'newvalue' doesn't work?

I'm curious as to whether $ENV{'INC'}, for example, can be
set prior to a 'require "file";' or 'use package;' statement.

Of course, putenv("name=value") in a C program doesn't really
do a lot, either. :-) Unless someone calls getenv("name") later.

As another pedanticism: Perl doesn't have the ability to do
shell-style history or line editing, AFAIK.
(Neither does C or C++.  :-) )

>I can't think of any others off the top of my head, though.
>
>--
>"Perl is worse than Python because people wanted it worse."
>   Larry Wall, 14 Oct 1998

                    Darn.  Just when this message was getting good, too.