From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Perl and Tcl/Tk: How important are they?
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2001 19:24:23 -0400

Chad Everett wrote:

> On Sat, 21 Apr 2001 08:34:45 -0400, Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> >> perl does take a bit of getting used to, but it can be kind of handy.
> >
> >I don't doubt it.
> >
> >I'm just saying that you can work on Unix systems for DECADES without ever
> >needing it.
> >
> >I've been using Unix since 1983.  Only touched perl for a grand total of
> >less than a week in that entire time.
> >

> But you are an administrator and not a programmer or engineer, despite
> what your sig says.  If you were a programmer or engineer using Unix

Systems engineers do administration and programming, too.

> as tool for engineering or programming (as in producing engineering

A computer systems engineer is responsible for planning the installation,
upgrade, replacement, etc. of computer systems.

Programming and administration skills are at the heart of it,
but a lot of electrical engineering background is also needed.

> or computational solutions), you would end up needed more that just
> Unix scripts pretty quickly (PERL, Python, Tcl/Tk, Java, C, C++, Fortran,
> etc. and these days MPI, etc.)
>

> >> For example, if you have deal with windows machines and macs, perl is
> >> very good for messing with text formats to pass between the machines.
> >

> >That's only because Windows and Macs are so utterly deficient of
> >quality file-manipulation tools in the first place
> >

> >> --
> >> http://www.guild.bham.ac.uk/chess-club

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Who votes for Sliverdick to be executed: AYEs:3 NAYS:0 (1 ABSTAIN)
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2001 16:28:16 -0700

silverback wrote:

> On Fri, 20 Apr 2001 04:14:33 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Michael
> Ejercito) wrote:
>
> >On Thu, 19 Apr 2001 13:43:31 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >(silverback) wrote:

> >>no fraud the village idiot is you
> >   Prove it, gdybozo52150.
>
> thats easy just read one of fraud's posts.

I've read them also... if we all wanted your lip.. all we'd have to do
is scrap off our zippers!

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Red Hat has become scary?
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2001 19:33:13 -0400

Michael Vester wrote:

> [...]
> group but I could still hear that women complaining no matter where I was
> in the building. It is a huge building.  In reference to 3., she was at
> least 300 pounds and looked a lot like that creature on the Drew Cary
> show. If she made a lasting impression on me, think of all the French who
> she really offended.
>
> > 3.  Most American women on vacations are either obese, and look like
> > a bag of shit, or dress like sluts.
> >
> > Seriously...the next time you're on vacation, sit in your hotel
> > lobby for about 30 minutes, and play "Spot the American"
> >
> You can be blind and still play.
>
> > You'll discover in no time that most Americans on vacation are
> > despised because they make utter and complete asses of themselves.
> >
> They act like they are the center of the universe. Nothing is as good as
> what they have at home. Not all Americans are like but enough to create
> this really bad stereotype.
>
> > They usually have ZERO understanding of where they are.  They
> > haven't studied the local langauge in the slightest...most don't
> > even bother to learn how to count in the local language, let alone
> > how to conduct simple transactions (like getting a taxi ride) in
> > the local language.
> >
> Your right, they only speak "American."  I have quietly listened while
> American tourists try to ask my directions in what ever native language
> via a phrase book.  I look really confused and then I say in perfect
> Canadian English, "I don't understand a single thing you said, eh."  They
> are surprised and then ask me if I can speak "American?"
>
> "No, but I do speak Canadian, is that close enough?"
>
> > Additionally, they never bother to understand the local culture.
> > Understanding local customs, and what locals consider to be
> > insulting behavior, is VERY crucial to staying in the good graces
> > of the people around you.  Remember, you are IN THEIR CITY...
> > and most of the time, IN THEIR **NEIGHBORHOOD**....therefore, you
> > are probably within a few hundred meters of their children.
> >

> I come from a culture where we are renown for getting along with
> everyone.  I know more about other country's history than my own. I know
> more about United States geography than most Americans. I was in a college
> bar in Ithaca and after listening for hours about how superior the
> American education system is to the rest of the world. I asked, "What is
> the capital of New York state?" They looked at me like I was a real
> Canadian moron and everyone at the table exclaimed it was New York city. I
> said it was my first time to the great state of New York but even I know
> that the capital city of New York state is Albany.   I impressed the group
> since I know all 50 states and their capitals.  My geographical knowledge
> is vastly superior.
>
> In Canada, we learn about everyone else. In the United States, they learn
> only about themselves and that basically consists of memorizing president
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Not even that, lately.

But they DO "learn" that big corporations deliberately make
air conditioners, and then, for no explicable reason, let all
of the freon out into the atmosphere.

Why the corporations don't just buy freon and dump it into the
atmosphere directly is never explained in this myth.

> names and battle dates.  Knowledge like that is not really helpful when
> traveling abroad.  In fact, I have found that Americans are the least
> clued in about what is happening outside their country.  The smart ones do

Actually, a lot of American's are also the least clued-in about
what is happening WITHIN their own country as well.

> but that certainly did not come from their education system.

Damn straight.  The *ONLY* worthwhile instruction I ever got
was at Purdue University.

I spent my K-8 years in the best public school district in the
entire state of Michigan, and then spent 9-12 in another school
district which was very close.

And I must say that the "education" was shit.  I had history
teachers deferring other students' questions to me, because I
knew most of the material better than they did.

The only real good education I got from public K-12 schools were
in Math and the "hard" sciences (chem, physics, biology), and a
reasonably good attempt foreign languages (I can learn to read,
write, and speak foreign languages rather well, but learning to
understand them in spoken form is a real trick for me...)

> > >      Its really sad that we have no control over them.  Its like it
> > > doesn't matter anymore at the voting booth.
> >
> > 100 years of "lesser of two evils" voting mentality.
> >
> > Voting for the "lesser evil" is STILL voting for evil.
> >
> > Do the right thing, and vote libertarian.
>
> Is there a Canadian affiliate?
> >
> > > --

> > Aaron R. Kulkis
> > Unix Systems Engineer
> > DNRC Minister of all I survey
> > ICQ # 3056642
> >

> --
> Michael Vester
> A credible Linux advocate
>
> "The avalanche has started, it is
> too late for the pebbles to vote"
> Kosh, Vorlon Ambassador to Babylon 5

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Aaron Kuklis Arrested!
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2001 19:36:17 -0400

The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Aaron R. Kulkis
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>  wrote
> on Sat, 21 Apr 2001 03:43:17 -0400
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> >Donn Miller wrote:

>System.
> >>
> >> Are you kidding?!  If Windows 98 suddenly became extinct, Mr. Military
> >> Man would go on a Windows-sized rampage, wiping out all Linux, FreeBSD,
> >> and Solaris users.
> >
> >Linux, FreeBSD, and Solaris users are the GOOD guys (as well as HP-UX,
> >IRIX, pt/x, etc.  AIX guys are suspicious characters, and should be
> >supervised closely.
>
> Erm....would you mind explaining that? :-)  Especially since
> IBM is promoting Linux in its latest billboard ads (the ones with
> "peace, love, penguin")?

Obviously, you've never dealt with AIX administration beyond the use of smit.

AIX has nothing to do with the penguin.

AIX is a PERVERSION of Unix, the last, dying gasp of the old
customer-abusing culture saturated IBM at that time.

Look at the config files.  Not only do they have different
names (which is irksom enough), but a RADICALLY different
internal structure.

> [.sigsnip]
>
> --
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] -- insert random misquote here
> EAC code #191       4d:05h:25m actually running Linux.
>                     The Usenet channel.  All messages, all the time.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Communism, Communist propagandists in the US...still..to this day.
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2001 16:37:36 -0700

Jim Richardson wrote:

> On Mon, 16 Apr 2001 12:38:23 -0400,
>  Scott Erb, in the persona of <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>  brought forth the following words...:
>

> >Jim Richardson wrote:
> >
> >> The keyword you are looking for is dictatorship...
> >>  Surely you don't expect an anarchist to approve of any state run regime?
> >> or were you trying to claim that there is no similarity between fascism and
> >> communism? which was the point of my post. If you wish to say that there are
> >> (or were) some right leaning dictatorships as bad as the some left leaning
> >> ones, I'd agree, but that doesn't make the left leaning ones any less horrible.
> >
> >You raise some good points -- dictatorship in the name of Allah or Jesus
> >or any cause or creed shares some commonality in that centralized
> >governmental power enforces the beliefs of the leaders about how their
> >ideology should be implemented.
> >
> >Fascism and Communism as *ideologies* are very different.  In practice,
> >things get murky.  Socialist Kurt Schumacher, who (like most Social
> >Democrats) fought against Communists and Fascists in street fights in
> >Weimar Germany, and then was imprisioned by fascists for 12 years, after
> >which he fought against the Communist take over of East Germany, called
> >Stalinists and Soviet style communism "red lacquered fascism."  He
> >didn't see a difference, he thought they were both fascist.  Yet he was
> >a proud socialist and Marxist.
> >
> >So the point is that we can compare ideologies (in which case fascism
> >and communism are very different), governmental practices based on the
> >labels given (in which case there are some similarities, though as
> >fascism is an ideology based on irrationalism and anti-reason, it can
> >range from Franco's conservative pro-church fascism to Hitler's rabid
> >racism), or idealized views of how that ideology should look in practice
> >(whereas democratic socialists regard the East bloc as opposed to their
> >values).  In any case, debates like these unfortunately tend to become
> >ones where labels are used to insult or ridicule, rather than understand
> >the differences between systems and how they function.
>
> I don't care what you call it, I don't care what philosophy backs it, if it
> initiates force, it is statism, the only question is how bad.
>  All governments are bad, are inherently evil, some are merely less evil than
> others.

Gawd! Wake up!  We need governments that are held responsible for their
actions!
I know the frustrations you feel.  The times are changing ... be awake
and observe.
Not all seems as it appears.  Endings are beginnings!

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2001 19:41:18 -0400

"Joseph T. Adams" wrote:

> Matthew Gardiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> :> --
> : New Zealands got more problems than you could poke a stick at.  I was
> : simply saying what should have happened was the people will should have
> : followed instead of dragging the election through the courts. Isn't
> : better for an election to take a little longer in the knowledge that
> : everything is above board?
>
> : Matthew Gardiner
>
> Presidents, and Senators, are elected by the States, not directly by
> the people.

Actually, the Senators are SUPPOSED to be elected by the States'
governments, but the 17th Amendment changed that...which changed
the selection of Senators to direct election by "the people"

This effectively removed from the federal legislature ALL influence
from the state legislatures, turning the Senate into a something more
of a "super"-House of Representatives.

And you will notice that the 17th Amendment was ratified in 1913,
which is the same year that all of the stupid shit laws started
getting passed.  (A trickle at first...but soon turned into a
raging torrent of oppressive laws which are popular among the
easily-fooled portions of the population (read 90%)).

> That is by design.
>
> If this were not so, a few large and generally left-leaning States
> would dominate national politics even more completely than they do
> now, plundering all the rest as completely as possible, and attempting
> to disarm them.  This would lead almost immediately to civil war.
>
> Joe

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.