Kulkis")

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Microsoft - WE DELETE YOU!
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 00:52:18 -0400

Chad Myers wrote:

> "Craig Kelley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > "Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> >
> > > "Craig Kelley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > > They're not afraid of anything. No one would use IE on Linux
> >
> > As opposed to the endless masses using it on Solaris and HP-UX?  Linux/BSD
> > easily have 100 times the number of desktop users.
>
> A current fad. MS waits until there's a solid base. In 2 years they'll all
> be gone.

IE users, that is.

> -c

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 00:52:45 -0400

Chad Myers wrote:

> "Craig Kelley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > "Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> >
> > > "Craig Kelley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > > They're not afraid of anything. No one would use IE on Linux
> >
> > As opposed to the endless masses using it on Solaris and HP-UX?  Linux/BSD
> > easily have 100 times the number of desktop users.
>
> A current fad.

20 years is not a fad, MORON.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why Linux Is no threat to Windows domination of the desktop
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 00:57:06 -0400

chrisv wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >Spot the gun-phobe.
>
> Spot the basement-dwelling, Win98 using, outed idiot.

you keep telling yourself that.

Rule #1: never underestimate your opponent.

This, Chris, is why you lose.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 00:57:36 -0400

chrisv wrote:

> The Danimal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >Biologists largely abandoned the "good of the species"
> >notion somewhere around the middle of the last century, replacing
> >it with the notion of diverse individuals within a species competing
> >for resources and reproductive opportunities, leading to a distribution
> >of winners and losers that over the long term drives evolutionary
> >change.
>
> Of course, the "winners" now days are often people who drop out of
> school to become unwed mothers (and the men they love).  More kids for
> them=more money, while people who work for a living often limit the
> number of children they have, due to the financial burden.

End Welfare Now, and that will no longer be the case.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 00:59:01 -0400

chrisv wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >So, have you ever produced children with your wife through
> >the EXCLUSIVE use of blowjobs, and nothing else?
>
> OhmyGod this thread is too hilarious!

I see that  my point has been made.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Les Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: W2K/IIS proves itself over Linux/Tux
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 05:06:28 GMT

"Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:9ei5qq$kv1$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > > So, there is a bug in the dll, problem found.
> >
> > Yes, that's what I've been saying for months and you windows
> > zealots kept arguing about it.
>
> No, you said there was a bug in IIS.

Yes, it is inetinfo.exe that is crashing.  IIS does not respond.  It is
a bug and worse, a bad design that lets the whole server die
from a single component error.     Running the dll in a separate
process causes even worse trouble.

> > > Post to the newgroup and ask if there is a fix or a workaround.
> >
> > That was that response from MS - like everything else it will be
> > fixed in the next release...
>
> Then ask for a workaround, in the newsgroup of people who deals with it.

It turns out that a developer from work has in fact been trying to do
that for a while with no results.  When I forwarded him the link I
mentioned in my last message he said that was the same MS guy
(who finally admited the bug) who responded to him with nothing
helpful at all.

> > > They don't. MsXml is free.
> >
> > Does that mean I don't have to pay for Win2k to run it?
>
> If you bought bought Win2K just to run this spesific DLL...

Yes, that is the sole purpose of 8 machines, replacing the 2
Linux/Apache boxes that used to do the same work.  The
whole point of changing the servers was to utilize xsl formatting
of our xml data.

> Beside, you don't have to pay for Win2K to run this, you can pay for
WinNT,
> Win98, Win95, WinME, etc. :-D

I've had too much experience with NT, 98, and 95 to consider running them
in a production enviroment, and I haven't heard much good about ME.
Win2k at least rarely crashes at the OS level.    Whatever was taken
from *bsd must have done some good there.

> You want to tell me that Linux software doesn't have bugs?

Everything has bugs - they just don't cause the same problems and
are easier to resolve under Linux, and Linux doesn't have the
design problems inherent in Windows.  I've used lots of buggy
components in apache pages and they do not lock the server up
or generally affect other pages at all - and in the unix process model
you don't have surprises from code that isn't thread safe.   Also, if you
have serious debugging you can't beat doing it at the source level.

I can't even imagine something written for Linux as a server popping
up a dialog box and waiting (not responding meanwhile) under any
circumstances.

From: "Les Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux posts #1 TPC-H result (W2K still better)
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 05:08:45 GMT

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >>Not that I've noticed.  That airtime seems to be occupied with ads
> >>for HP instead...
> >
> >The only Microsoft ads we get are cheesy ones for MSN that tuck the MS
logo
> >discretely in the corner. They're intensely irritating and remind me of
> >certain scenes from the '80's film version of Orwell's 1984.
>
> Well let me tell you guys, you are fucking missing out on some of the
> greatest comedy since Bill Murray left the original Saturday Night Live
> cast.
>
> "Enterprise Software from Microsoft.  Never 'needy', 'plays well with
> others', 'ever-youthful'...."  Blah, blah blah.  The "ever youthful is a
> real kick in the head.  Bwah-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha!  "Never confused or
> unsure." Another good one.

They do mention "servers that haven't been touched in days" in one
of them, as though that is a surprisingly long time for servers to run
unattended.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jon Melbo)
Subject: Re: Linux beats Win2K (again)
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 05:13:29 GMT

You forgot diffraction and diffusion.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Just when Linux starts getting good, Microsoft buries it in the
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 01:38:53 -0400

Johan Kullstam wrote:

> > > ALL of of the Unix world has had such features ever since networking was
> > > first implemented in Unix.
> > >

> > In other words, UNIX is network native.
>
> no.  i think unix existed for several years before networking even
> existed.  that networking works well with unix is more do to
> 1) folks at berzerkely having kernel source &c being able to add
> networking

irrelevent.  Mafia$oft has ALWAYS had the source code to their own
products..

> 2) unix is multitasking and multiuser which lets you easily have
> non-human agents handle networking tasks such daemons.

PRECISELY.

> --
> J o h a n  K u l l s t a m
> [[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
> Don't Fear the Penguin!

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 01:40:40 -0400

green wrote:

> "Chronos Tachyon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in
> message news:RyZO6.9067$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > On Wed 23 May 2001 07:35, green wrote:
> >
> > > um just a question
> > >
> > > how would I set up linux to work like (not using winframe or citrix
> > > metaframe) to keep a users programs running even though they logout so
> > > they resume where they left off but have the option to close the session
> > > (close programs if they aren't coming back)
> > >
> > > just a link would be fine. (setting up xterminal servers)
> > >
> > > thanks
> > > bye.
> > >

> > Something like screen(1) would work great for terminal programs, and with
> > some juggling VNC can do the same for X apps.  I assume you mean "program
> > is exactly as I left it" and not just the usual state management stuff,
> > correct?
> >

> yes I mean as the user left it. not have each program reload and restore
> users session.
>
> even store it to disk (memory image like a suspend to disk) and resume if
> they log on again
> would be good to conserve memory.

That's pretty much cutting-edge stuff outside of advanced IBM mainframe OS's.

> I considered vnc but the clients won't be running a x client only the server
> so vnc would run on the server computer as a client and a server so that's
> no good.
>
> the only way I can think of is having xdm (or kdm gdm) accept several x
> connections, but it doesn't allow for logging of but leaving the users
> programs running or in suspend state.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 01:41:36 -0400

Chad Myers wrote:

> "David Brown" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:9efs03$9ar$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Does XP allow you to setup a MS "Intellimouse" during installation?  The
> > last windows installation I did (Win98SE) didn't know of their existance -
> > you needed an extra driver download or disk to set up an MS mouse !  Linux
> > Mandrake, on the other hand, has supported it for many years.
>
> Um, Win98 supports the intellimouse. There are updated drivers which you
> can get from Microsoft.com, but last time I used Win98 it found my
> intellimouse just fine.

and?

your point is?

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.