Linux-Advocacy Digest #810, Volume #33           Mon, 23 Apr 01 11:13:05 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Communism
  Re: Why Linux Is no threat to Windows domination of the desktop (Chronos Tachyon)
  Re: Blame it all on Microsoft ("Steve Wart")
  Re: Communism
  Re: Windows 2000 Rocks! ("Edward Rosten")
  Re: Windows 2000 Rocks! ("Edward Rosten")
  Re: bank switches from using NT 4 ("Edward Rosten")
  Re: bank switches from using NT 4 (Neil Cerutti)
  Re: Why left-wing communist assholes hate Reagan. (was Re: Communism,   Communist
propagandists in the US...still..to this day.)
  Re: bank switches from using NT 4 (Neil Cerutti)
  Re: Why left-wing communist assholes hate Reagan. (was Re: Communism,     Communist
propagandists in the US...still..to this day.)
  Re: Could Linux be used in this factory environment ? (Dan Mercer)
  Re: Why left-wing communist assholes hate Reagan. (was Re: Communism,      Communist
propagandists in the US...still..to this day.)
  Re: Who votes for Sliverdick to be executed: AYEs:9 NAYS:0 (1 ABSTAIN)
  Re: OT: Treason (was Re: Communism) ("Aaron R. Kulkis")
  Re: Blame it all on Microsoft ("Edward Rosten")
  Re: Communism, Communist propagandists in the US...still..to this day. ("Aaron R.
Kulkis")
  Re: Could Linux be used in this factory environment ? (Roberto Alsina)
  Re: Feminism ==> subjugation of males ("Aaron R. Kulkis")

alt.society.liberalism,misc.survivalism,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,soc.singles
From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Communism
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 14:15:05 GMT

   Aaron> Wrong.  I advocate taking a VOTE on whether democrats should be shot,
   Aaron> according to Democrat ideals (will of the majority = final decision).

   >> In the past you have advocated shooting people just for being
   >> democrats.

   Aaron> Wrong,  I advocate shooting those who are actively sleek to enslave me,
   Aaron> you, and the rest of the American populace.

You are lying again.  For proof, anyone can search google
for posts by you containing the phrase "shoot a democrat"

You are a liar, a particularly stupid liar.

   >> Do you deny this?

He did, but it was a lie.

--
Andrew Hall
(Now reading Usenet in alt.fan.rush-limbaugh...)

------------------------------

From: Chronos Tachyon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why Linux Is no threat to Windows domination of the desktop
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 14:17:45 GMT

On Mon 23 Apr 2001 06:06, Matthew Gardiner wrote:

> <snype>
>> Alan Turing, the father of modern computing and namesake of "Turing
>> machine" and "Turing test" in today's vocabulary.  Among the fields of
>> CompSci that he researched or helped found:  computability, artificial
>> intelligence, and cryptography.  His single biggest claim to fame was
>> that he was an important part of the British (MI6? I forget) effort to
>> crack the German Enigma machine in WW2.
>>
>> As I recall, around the mid-1950s or so, the law got wind of the fact
>> that
>> he was openly homosexual (how dare he!).  As was policy at the time, he
>> was forced to take hormones that would suppress all sexual urges and turn
>> him into an asexual being, which was (obviously!) better than living the
>> sinful, evil life of a homosexual.  Within a few years, he committed
>> suicide by ingesting cyanide.
>>
> Well, that doesn't sound too good. Regardless of his sexual orientation,
> he sounded like quite the genius.
>
> Matthew Gardiner

There's a website (of course, selling some biographer's book) at
<http://www.turing.org.uk/turing/>.  Looks like my dates were off: his
arrest was in 1952, just as his interest in AI was taking off, and his
suicide was in 1954.

--
Chronos Tachyon
Guardian of Eristic Paraphernalia

------------------------------

From: "Steve Wart" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.theory,comp.arch,comp.object
Subject: Re: Blame it all on Microsoft
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 14:18:24 GMT

Well Excel qualifies as high-quality if you look at the Mac version prior to
5.0, but I believe this technology was also acquired.

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 14:20:03 GMT

   Aaron> Rob Robertson wrote:
   >>
   >> Aaron R. Kulkis wrote:
   >> >
   >> > Rob Robertson wrote:
   >>
   >> <snip>

   >> > Hall changed disagree to agree
   >>
   >> I don't believe you.

   Aaron> I originally wrote "disagree"

You are a liar.

A cowardly liar.

In other words, scum.

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Windows 2000 Rocks!
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 17:23:59 +0100

>> > Wow fantastic features! But how useful? Certainly useful in a number
>> > of situations, but on an average desktop it's nothing else but bloat.
>> > And bloat is really an issue with X-windows, it's incredibly slow.
>> >

>> Wrong. Next time get your facts right before starting to make an ass
>> out of yourself.
>
> Would you mind pointing out whats wrong? I run sometimes X-windows on my
> linuxbox (granted, only a pentium 133 Mhz) and its unbearingly slow and

I run it all the time on a P133 at 1280x1024, 32Bit colour and it is
easily fast enough. Mabey you have managed to avoid setting up acceleration
for your card, though that would take a fair bit of effort.

> bloated as a desktop system compared to Mac OS. Even when the X-server
> resides on the Mac.

Which X server do you use on the Mac? Ar are you really refering to the X
client? And how does a bad implementation of X on a Mac reflect in any
way on Linux or Xfree?

And how is it bloated as a desktop system? How much space does MacOS take
up?

--
You can't go wrong with psycho-rats.

u 9 8 e j r (at) e c s . o x . a c . u k

------------------------------

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 17:24:51 +0100

> What version of Xfree86 are you running.  3.3.6 sucked donkey balls,
> however, 4.03, what I am currently running now, is awsome, light, fast,
> and very stable.

I'm using 3.3.6 and it rocks. If it sucks donkey balls compared to 4.03,
then I'll have to get XF4.

-Ed

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: bank switches from using NT 4
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 17:26:09 +0100

> It's not the same product, though. Microsoft had a bad past with Win9x,
> but, it proves itself again, ignorant folk like you refuse to take a
> look at Win2K because you think it's just like Win9x, when it isn't. You
> only serve to embarass yourself when you attempt to talk intelligently.

It's got the same poor interface with a complete lack of virtual screens.

-Ed

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Neil Cerutti)
Date: 23 Apr 2001 14:26:27 GMT

Chad Myers posted:
>It's not the same product, though. Microsoft had a bad past with
>Win9x, but, it proves itself again, ignorant folk like you
>refuse to take a look at Win2K because you think it's just like
>Win9x, when it isn't. You only serve to embarass yourself when
>you attempt to talk intelligently.

So it takes Microsoft 20 years to develop a single decent
operating system and I'm supposed to bend over and thank them?

I haven't bought an MS product (except for some of the excellent
games they publish) since the debacle surrounding Win95OSR2. I
shelled out $85 dollars for Win95 (the upgrade version), and then
the fix that finally allowed a half-decent file system (compared
to FAT16) not only was not free, it *wasn't even available to me*
because, if I remember correctly, because my hardware was: "too old
for the training."

I heard you could get it if you bought a new hard drive, though.

--
Neil Cerutti <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
*** You lost a plot of land because the claim was not recorded.

misc.survivalism,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,soc.singles,alt.society.liberalism,talk.politics.guns
From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why left-wing communist assholes hate Reagan. (was Re: Communism,
Communist propagandists in the US...still..to this day.)
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 14:27:24 GMT

   Gunner> On Fri, 20 Apr 2001 16:08:59 GMT, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
   wrote>

   Aaron> What part of adultery is against the law do you not understand?
   >>
   >> It's a freedom thing, you would not understand.

   Gunner> Not in Muslim countries, according to THEIR laws.

Correct, they, like Kulkis, are not fans of freedom.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Neil Cerutti)
Date: 23 Apr 2001 14:29:18 GMT

Chad Myers posted:
>> You misread his post.  He said he didn't need Windows XP.
>
>You're quick, did you think of that all on your own?

You don't understand how Usenet works, do you Chad?

--
Neil Cerutti <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
*** You found a dead moose rat and sold the hide for $350. ***

misc.survivalism,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,soc.singles,alt.society.liberalism,talk.politics.guns
From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Communist propagandists in the US...still..to this day.)
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 14:28:29 GMT

   Aaron> What part of adultery is against the law do you not understand?
   >>
   >> It's a freedom thing, you would not understand.

   Aaron> Remind me to come over and get your wife pregnant while you're at work.

Rape is not a freedom thing either.

You would not understand.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dan Mercer)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Could Linux be used in this factory environment ?
Date: 23 Apr 2001 14:17:15 GMT

In article <gvkE6.6569$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
"Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> "Charles Lyttle" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>
>> Industry (mostly) fixed that problem 30 years ago. For what its
>> worth, I had an NT machine I was working with bring down an entire LAN
>> of over 1000 machines. It was called the "ping of death". Some
>> applications could cause the NT software to start issuing network pings
>> at high speed. These faults often also caused a BSOD, but not always.
>
> Ping of death was a specific type of exploit that needed special, invalidly
> formed packets to work.  There was no way to cause normal applications to
> generate POD packets.
>
> Unix also suffered from this bug.

POD's could also be formed by broken network cards,  in which case
a $20 piece of hardware could bring down a $multimillion network.

--
Dan Mercer

misc.survivalism,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,soc.singles,alt.society.liberalism,talk.politics.guns
From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Communist propagandists in the US...still..to this day.)
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 14:29:49 GMT

   Aaron> TAO wrote:
   >>
   >> "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
   news> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

   >> jail

   >> understand?

   >> > Remind me to come over and get your wife pregnant while you're at work.
   >> >
   >> Good folks don't break the guy code by doin' other guys' wives.

   Aaron> Ahall said that there's nothing wrong with women committing adultery.

No I didn't, you are a liar.  I said it should not be illegal
and most certainly should not carry the death penalty.

You are a liar, a stupid liar.

   Aaron> So, then, he should be pleased if his wide does it with me.

Nor can you do logic.

   >> It is not a legal thing; it is a moral thing; obviously this concept is
   >> beyond your understanding.

   Aaron> You, sir, are a retard.

Such irony.

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Who votes for Sliverdick to be executed: AYEs:9 NAYS:0 (1 ABSTAIN)
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 14:30:59 GMT

   Aaron> In Milwaukee, the Democrat's unit of exchange is a pack of cigarettes.
   >>
   >> I believe that was Madison.  Milwaukee was the students
   >> voting 3-4 times.  (Allegations, of course).

   Aaron> Allegations?  More like admission...or even pronouncement

   Aaron> "HEY, you IDIOTS!...you're so fucked up in this city that I went out
   Aaron> and voted 4 times today....3 of those times AT THE SAME POLLING STATION!"

   Aaron> Basically, it was anti-Democratic-party students exposing the corruption
   Aaron> in the Democrat-run city of Madison.

That was Milwaukee.  The cigarette allegations were in
Madison.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,us.military.army,soc.singles
Subject: Re: OT: Treason (was Re: Communism)
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 10:43:31 -0400

Matthew Gardiner wrote:

> Roberto Alsina wrote:

> > >Says the outed idiot who advocates killing people who lawfully work
> > >toward different social and political  goals than he does.
> >
> > Not to mention he is the same guy who believes women are better off
> > in Saudi Arabia, and that ping calls nslookup.
> >
> > He is really a sort of renaissance idiot. Idiot in many fields at the
> > same time. A man who can be idiotic on any subject. A rainbow of
> > idiocy.
> >
> > --
> > Roberto Alsina
>
> And you forgot the communist conspiracy theory.

Come visit the united states sometime.  The communism is right out in the open.

> Matthew Gardiner
> --
> Disclaimer:
>
> I am the resident BOFH (Bastard Operator From Hell)
>
> If you don't like it, you can go [# rm -rf /home/luser] yourself
>
> Running SuSE Linux 7.1
>
> The best of German engineering, now in software form

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.theory,comp.arch,comp.object
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 17:44:56 +0100

> True.  Atlas (late 1950s) introduced a number of now-common techniques,
> including virtual memory, pipelining and interrupts.

Konrad Zuse invented pipelining in the 1940's. I believe he used it in a
working machine as well.

-Ed

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
misc.survivalism,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,soc.singles,alt.society.liberalism,talk.politics.guns
Subject: Re: Communism, Communist propagandists in the US...still..to this day.
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 10:45:05 -0400

Roberto Alsina wrote:

> On Mon, 23 Apr 2001 09:34:40 -0400, Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >Roberto Alsina wrote:

> >> There's a wide spectrum between no education and astrophysics.
> >> And if you work 12 hours a day at a back-breaking job when you are
> >> a kid, you don't get any education.
> >
> >What good is an education if you have starved to death?
>
> The black-and-whiteness of your mind is amazing.
> There is a solution to this: feed the kid at (public) school.

Where does the money come from to provide this food?

You think food just appears out of thin air?

> Of course you would believe that kid is stealing your money.

If you can't afford to have kids, then maybe you shouldn't have them

> --
> Roberto Alsina

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Roberto Alsina)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.misc
Date: 23 Apr 2001 14:45:06 GMT

On 23 Apr 2001 14:17:15 GMT, Dan Mercer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>In article <gvkE6.6569$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>"Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>> "Charles Lyttle" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>>
>>> Industry (mostly) fixed that problem 30 years ago. For what its
>>> worth, I had an NT machine I was working with bring down an entire LAN
>>> of over 1000 machines. It was called the "ping of death". Some
>>> applications could cause the NT software to start issuing network pings
>>> at high speed. These faults often also caused a BSOD, but not always.
>>
>> Ping of death was a specific type of exploit that needed special, invalidly
>> formed packets to work.  There was no way to cause normal applications to
>> generate POD packets.
>>
>> Unix also suffered from this bug.
>>

>POD's could also be formed by broken network cards,  in which case
>a $20 piece of hardware could bring down a $multimillion network.

Well, in a non-switched network, they still can, just by causing
electrical trouble.

At least I used to have a card that, since a storm, would collapse
any 10-base-t network you put it in, I used it as an example in courses.

--
Roberto Alsina

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Feminism ==> subjugation of males
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 10:45:58 -0400

Roberto Alsina wrote:

> On Mon, 23 Apr 2001 09:35:35 -0400, Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >Roberto Alsina wrote:

> >> What's the difference between being married to someone who is just
> >> scared of being too poor if she/he divorces, and hiring a hooker?
> >
> >Thus, you summarize that the feminists have turned marriage into
> >PRECISELY what they say they detest.
>
> Nope. Not even close. Then again, the lack of nuance in your
> thought can make you see it that way.

Roberto, quit fawning over the wrapping paper and inspect the
box of dog-shit that's being handed to you as if it's a present.

> --
> Roberto Alsina

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.