From: Erick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Justice Department LOVES Microsoft!
Date: Sun, 27 May 2001 21:21:04 +0200

Ayende Rahien wrote:

> "The Ghost In The Machine" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in
> message news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Ayende Rahien
>> <Don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>>  wrote
>> on Tue, 15 May 2001 13:27:17 +0200
>> <9dsahg$num$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>> >
>> >"Peter Köhlmann" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>> >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> server

>> >No ISP will use a s/390 for this, dimwit.
>> >*No one* will use it for this, for that matter. That is beyond stupid.
>>
>> Why wouldn't they?  An s/390, as I understand the hardware (I've
>> never used it and know very little about it), is a powerful piece
>> of medium-big iron that might run a back-end Java servlet connecting
>> into an IBM database such as DB/2 (most likely), or some other database,
>> *on the same box*.  I'm not quite sure how many users it would
>> serve, but it could probably serve quite a few -- bandwidth
>> limitations, etc. permitting.
>
> He said that S/390 can run software for many sites (running many instances
> of the server, one per site).
> That is about as stupid approach as one can take when hosting sites.
> The way to do it is to have one instance of the server to serve many
> sites.

To have multiple sites on one server instance is not a very secure
approach. If one site kills your server instance also the rest of your
sites is dead in the water... For private home pages you'll probably get
away with it, but not in a e-commerce environment. Besides running Linux on
S/390 gives you the underlying protective power of mainframe filesystems
and such like RACF. So then you're double secure. Another argument for
Os/390 is scalability. Virtual server too small? Just allocate more
resources to that server and you're in business again...

Erick

------------------------------

From: "Stuart Fox" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Microsoft - WE DELETE YOU!
Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 07:33:00 +1200

> Said Erik Funkenbusch in alt.destroy.microsoft on Sat, 26 May 2001
> >"T. Max Devlin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>    [...]
> >No, I was responding to Matthew Gardeners claim that if MS had got it
right
> >the first time, there would have been no need for Windows 2000.  That is
the
> >point, stop trying to pretend otherwise.
>
> But he is correct; stop trying to pretend otherwise.

I guess if Linus had got it right first time, we wouldn't be using 2.4
kernels.

------------------------------

From: "David Brown" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Just when Linux starts getting good, Microsoft buries it in the dust!
Date: Sun, 27 May 2001 21:37:22 +0200

Philip Nicholls wrote in message
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>On 24 May 2001 17:47:01 -0500, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chad
>Everett) wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 22 May 2001 14:09:25 -0400, JS \\ PL <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
>>>I have to say, Linux Mandrake 8 was looking real damn good. Support for
all
>>>my hardware (for once) easy set-up, even seting up networking and
connection
>>>sharing was painless. Good newsreader - Knode, pretty stable OS. I even
>>>liked the fact that it stayed connected to the Internet when switching
users
>>>(unlike Win2K) I was actually contemplating using it much more often and
>>>only using Windows for apps I need to use that aren't available on Linux.
>>>But....
>>>Well after half a day checking out the new XP OS, I have to say IT KICKS
>>>MANDRAKE ASS!!
>>>

>>Can I setup Windows XP at home so that I can log into it via ssh and have
>>a server running that acts as a proxy web browser, allowing me to
>>browse the web from my machine at work over an encrypted channel and
>>bypassing the filters on my company's firewall?  And do all this with
>>out-of-the-box free software?
>
>Can the average Joe or Jane off the street do this with your free
>software?  Would the average Joe or Jane off  the street even WANT to
>do any of this?
>
>The will, however, be able to install, configure and use Windows XP.

Really?  Can the average Joe or Jane install XP?  Generally speaking, a good
modern Linux distribution is significantly easier to install than any
Windows version.  The two factors that make Windows appear easier are that
it is generally pre-installed when you buy a machine (you can't get easier
than that), or that users are more likely to be familiar with Windows and
Windows installing.  If you are only doing a little bit of configuring,
Windows is easier - if you like to do a lot of fiddling, Linux is easier.

>>Can I use Windows XP to redirect it's output over an encrypted network
>>port so that I can run applications on my home machine from my machine
>>at work, complete with GUI features?  And do all this with out-of-the-box
>>free software?
>
>Again, I don't think Windows XP is targetting people who would want to
>do this.  Do you?

So what exactly is MS' offering for professional users who might want such
features?  XP professional is to be MS' top system.  There can be no doubt
that Windows is better than Linux for some purposes and some users, but we
can see quite clearly that if you want advanced networking features
(especially if you want it free and out-of-the-box), XP cannot begin to
compete with Linux (or any other Unix-type OS).

>>Can I use Windows XP as a NAT server and firewall and allow the machines
>>on my LAN to all share a single internet connection?  And do all this with
>>out-of-the-box free software?
>>
>>Can I use Windows XP as a software development platform with the software
>>that it comes with, without the need to purchase additional software for
>>lots of money?
>>
>>I can do all this and more with linux, for free.
>
>Bully for you.  And how many other people on your block have the
>technical expertise to do all this?
>
>I'll tell you a secret.  Most of them don't, most of them don't CARE.
>Windows XP caters to them.

Actually, there are quite a lot of users interested in doing development.
Linux lowers the entry barrier for amateurs or part-time programmers.

>>With Windows XP, I'll even need to buy additional software to create
>>professional documents, presentations, spreadsheets, and databases.
>>I can do all this with Linux with out-of-the-box software.
>
>Again, bully for you.  How many people on your block are able to do
>this.

I can accept that virually no one needs the sort of network configurations
suggested.  I can accept that only relatively few people do software
development.  But do really expect anyone to believe that few people want to
make documents, presentations or spreadsheets??

>>....Oh...but I forgot.....now you can log in and log out of Windows XP
>>and not kill your internet connection.  Wow!
>
>Most people who need to use computers for work or school have lives
>outside of computers.  Windows XP caters to them.

You seem to believe that XP caters for people who don't actually use
computers at all.

------------------------------

From: "Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 27 May 2001 22:45:19 +0200

"Erick" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:9erjvs$o0i$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Ayende Rahien wrote:
>
> To have multiple sites on one server instance is not a very secure
> approach. If one site kills your server instance also the rest of your
> sites is dead in the water... For private home pages you'll probably get
> away with it, but not in a e-commerce environment. Besides running Linux
on
> S/390 gives you the underlying protective power of mainframe filesystems
> and such like RACF. So then you're double secure. Another argument for
> Os/390 is scalability. Virtual server too small? Just allocate more
> resources to that server and you're in business again...

Point taken. And as you mentioned, no ISP will do it for private home pages.

------------------------------

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux beats Win2K (again)
Date: Sun, 27 May 2001 19:49:33 GMT

Said Donn Miller in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Sat, 26 May 2001 17:50:33
>Pete Goodwin wrote:
   [...]
>> Have you ever done a "peer review". Do you know what it involves? It is
>> more than just "taking a look see". It has a chairman, a person taking
>> notes, and people making the comments. One person reads through the code,
>> whilst the others ask questions and query etc. That's what I would
>> consider peer review. I can't see that kind of structured approach
>> occuring outside of a company.
>
>Peer review doesn't HAVE to take place inside a company.  It could take
>place on a mailing list, or via personal email, for example.

Correction: peer review CANNOT take place inside a company.  They might
call their internal code review a 'peer review', but it is definitely
and absolutely nothing more than a false conceit to do so.  Yes,
"co-worker" is, in some connotations, a synonym for "peer".  "Peer
review" is a concept lifted from the scientific community.  The Open
Source crowd has an informal means of peer review.  Scientific journals
have a formal mechanism of peer review.  Proprietary development has no
peer review, unless maybe their is some source code review outside of
the company by peers selected by others.  (They could be covered by NDA,
possibly, but not restrictive ones preventing them from discussing their
results, only concrete ones which prevent publishing the code.)

What Pete erroneously describes as a 'peer review' is just an 'employee
review', as it would continue to be if it was outside consultants paid
to review the work.

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 27 May 2001 19:49:34 GMT

Said Ayende Rahien in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Sun, 27 May 2001
>"Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:9epadq$g7k$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> > I don't rate gcc are a leading edge development tool unless it has an
>> > IDE  and the whole kit and kaboodle.
>>
>> You also don't understand the UNIX philosophy. A compuler is just a
>> compiler and should do that and nothing more.
>>
>> An IDE is an IDE and does nothing more.
>>
>> ie both are independent.
>>
>> If you work like this (like UNIX always has), the entire thing consists
>> of pluggable modules all of which fit together in any configuration.
>>
>> I hope gcc *never* turns in to an IDE. That should be completely
>> seperate.
>
>An IDE is supposed to let you compiled from it, that is the Integrated part
>of it.

Yea.  Keep going.  You're getting it...

>I'm not familiar with any compiler that can't be run seperatedly from an
>IDE.

No, sorry, you're getting cold again.

You should ask yourself if you are familiar with any IDEs that can run
any one of a number of compilers.

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 27 May 2001 19:49:35 GMT

Said Pete Goodwin in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Sat, 26 May 2001 21:26:00
>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
>
>> >I've already quoted a definition of dogma to you from a dictionary. I
>> >remember you had the definition wrong then.
>>
>> I must have missed the post, as ludicrous as that sounds, because I
>> frankly don't know what you're talking about.  Perhaps this was several
>> months ago, and you simply posted a definition which was soon shown to
>> be flawed.  I don't generally remember flawed arguments which I've
>> already refuted; it is a character flaw.
>
>It wasn't that long ago. You have a pretty vague memory - as you
>demonstrated in another post. You forgotten that one too?

No, I remember discussing the issue of dogma.  I don't recall ever
learning of any flaw in my definition.

>> You could refresh my memory, but it will probably just result in a
>> spanking.  If you feel up to getting yet-another spanking, you might
>> want to repost it, though.
>
>What spanking was that? The only one I remember was the one I gave you
>quite recently. Remember "DirectX sucks"?

With a huge grin on my face.  Go back and read it again, Pete.  ;-D

>> "No, Pete, 'dogma' doesn't mean 'repetition, like I said.  It doesn't
>> mean 'vague references to repetition', either, but that's beside the
>> point."
>
>I repeat the term dogma, but you bring your favourite topic of discussion
>(which I call dogma) in every conversation. You bring this up as
>repetition, thinking to confuse the issue of dogma.

It is the topic of discussion; why would it be dogmatic of me to discuss
it?  Guffaw, guffaw.

Why are you posting to COLA, Pete, but constantly defending Windows?  Is
it some matter of... DOGMA, perhaps?  Doh!

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 27 May 2001 19:49:36 GMT

Said Pete Goodwin in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Sat, 26 May 2001 21:26:52
>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>says...
>
>> > I've already quoted a definition of dogma to you from a dictionary. I
>> > remember you had the definition wrong then.
>>
>> Max is never "wrong", merely "mistaken".  Just ask him!
>
>Funny I thought "wrong" == "mistaken".

Think harder.

>Maybe I was wrong. Or mistaken. Or both.

You were mistaken.

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 27 May 2001 19:49:37 GMT

Said Gary Hallock in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Sat, 26 May 2001 15:23:16
>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "flatfish+++"
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> Is this a test?
>
>Not so much of a test as a trap.  And Max fell right into it.

Bwah-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha.

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,sci.physics
Date: Sun, 27 May 2001 19:49:38 GMT

Said Vincent Maycock in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Sat, 26 May 2001
>Aaron R. Kulkis wrote in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>snip
>>> One of the lovely things is that in many things there seem to be two
>>> enirely different explanations for the same thing that are both correct.
>>
>>Duality only kicks in at short wavelengths.
>>
>>At least, i've never heard anybody discuss photons which correspond
>>to radios in the 300m wavelength region.
>
>No, EM radiation of all wavelengths is composed of photons.  It is true that
>people tend to think of high-energy photons (like gamma "particles") as
>particles, though, more so than radio photons.  It's just a question of
>context, though.  When you're dealing with gamma rays or x-rays, you're more
>likely to be dealing with situations where the wavelike characteristics of
>the photon are not as noticeable.

The way I see the context, people do believe that the universe is only
relative at relativistic speeds, and only uncertain at quantum
distances, and this is what causes all of this confusion about the
nature of things.

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux dead on the desktop.
Date: Sun, 27 May 2001 19:49:38 GMT

Said Matthew Gardiner (BOFH) in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Sun, 27 May
   [...]
>If I was a US citizen, I would be happy that there are African Americans,
>because if there weren't, you would have a whole country like Utah, filled
>with boring white people, listening to blue grass music whilst going from
>door to door "preaching" about god.

Amen!

>What do the Americans have has a challenge when their teams go over seas?
>for a country that is that is older than New Zealand, they don't have much
>in the way of culture, unless you include hamburgers and Elvis as "culture".

Well, we may have the WB, but we have Robert Maplethorpe, too.  ;-D

From: "David Brown" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Sun, 27 May 2001 21:47:24 +0200

It's amazing how close you can come to making Windows into a professional
system when you download a whole lot of ports of free unix software.  But by
the time you have got Cygwin (for bash, and common unix utilities), tcl/tk,
perl, python, gcc, php, apache, mysql, ntemacs, X (from Cygwin - not great,
but getting there), cdrecord, ln (so that you can actually use NTFS hard
links), etc., why not just go the whole hog and install Linux?

Haven't you noticed that the only reason you have anything to reply with in
these posts is that open source developers have ported unix programs to
Windows?

------------------------------

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Sun, 27 May 2001 19:56:16 GMT

Said Stuart Fox in alt.destroy.microsoft on Mon, 28 May 2001 07:33:00
>"T. Max Devlin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> Said Erik Funkenbusch in alt.destroy.microsoft on Sat, 26 May 2001
>> >"T. Max Devlin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>>    [...]
>> >No, I was responding to Matthew Gardeners claim that if MS had got it
>right
>> >the first time, there would have been no need for Windows 2000.  That is
>the
>> >point, stop trying to pretend otherwise.
>>
>> But he is correct; stop trying to pretend otherwise.
>
>I guess if Linus had got it right first time, we wouldn't be using 2.4
>kernels.

If Linux hadn't gotten it right, we'd be using Yggdrasil+ XP 2000
version 3.1.

Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Weekly Posting: Where to Find Linux Frequently Asked Questions with Answers
(Pointer)
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Sun, 27 May 2001 20:01:03 GMT

Where to Find Linux Frequently Asked Questions with Answers

The complete text FAQ is posted weekly in six parts to the following
Usenet News groups:

  - comp.os.linux.misc
  - comp.answers
  - news.answers

The latest version of the FAQ is available as searchable HTML, DocBook
SGML, and text at its home site:

  - http://www.mainmatter.com/

In addition, it is archived in various formats on the following sites:

  - ftp://rtfm.mit.edu/
  - http://www.linuxdoc.org/
  - http://www.faqs.org/

Suggestions and errata for the FAQ are always welcome.  Please
send them to the FAQ maintainer:

  - [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Thank you for your time and support of Linux!

--
Robert Kiesling
Linux FAQ Maintainer

------------------------------

From: Peter Hayes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Warning to new users of Windows XP
Date: Sun, 27 May 2001 20:57:10 +0100

On 26 May 2001 02:42:24 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry Porter) wrote:

> On Fri, 25 May 2001 16:31:08 +0200, Ayende Rahien <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > "Zsolt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >> [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> on Wed, 23 May 2001 16:39:50 GMT
> > presented us with the wisdom:

> >> This is shame! You have to _PAY_ them for beta testing their software !?!?
> >> They should be paying you to put up with their garbage and do testing for
> > them!
> >
> > Apple did the same, you know.
> What's your point ?

That Apple are just as predatory as Microsoft, and since they control the
hardware as well as the software we should all be grateful and pay homage to
Lord Gates for rescuing us from the Curse of Jobs.

Peter

------------------------------

From: Peter Hayes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 27 May 2001 20:57:24 +0100

On Wed, 23 May 2001 14:05:25 +1200, "Matthew Gardiner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Ok, I am not a conspiracy theorist but here is my spin in it.
>
> Hypothetically, when Windows XP nobody gives a shit about WPA, and the
> majority of end lusers buy it. Now there are two senarios that will happen:
>
> 1. This OS will probably hang around for 18 months to two years depending on
> the progress of .net. During the time they will be be giving activation
> codes for those who install Windows XP v1.0, however, what is going to
> happen after Windows XP v2.0 is released? will Microsoft continue to give
> out activation codes for Windows XP 1.0? or will they just say to Joe Shmo
> that because he upgraded a significant portition of his hardware, and that
> Microsoft no longer supports, aka give out activation codes for it, he will
> have to upgrade to Windows XP 2.0.  I can honestly see it happening.

This is tantamount to theft, or perhaps "inverted piracy".

But yes, I agree they could well try it on, because who is going to stand up
to them, certainly not the present US administration.

Alternatively they'll say "Give us your credit card number. Every month
we'll debit it $20, and send an authorisation code direct to your machine.

Windows XP V2 will be subscription based.

Peter