From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stephen Morgan)
Crossposted-To: soc.men
Subject: Re: Women's rights and responsibilities.
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 05:10:22 GMT

In soc.men, Brent R wrote:
> Stephen Morgan wrote:

> > > I don't need to "find" the flaws...they are self-evident from my own
> > > PERSONAL EXPERIENCE OF LIVING IN SAUDI ARABIA FOR A YEAR

> > > What about it?
> > >
> > > They get many privileges, and many restrictions
> > >
> > > In contrast, in the United States, we have stripped all of men's
> > > privileges, and all of womens' restrictions, giving us a society
> > > where men have all the responsibilities and restrictions, and women
> > > have all of the privileges.
> > >
> > > In other words...FEUDALISM.
> >
> > You obviously have very little idea of how the feudal system worked.
> > --
> > Working Class
> >    The proletariat so beloved of Marx and Engels are still alive and well and
> >    living in vast areas of terraced housing in the major industrial cities. Alf
> >    Garnett was their hero and he was adopted by US TV and renamed Archie Bunker.
> >    They dislike foreigners, toffs and anything new. They watch the telly, go
> >    down the pub, watch the match on Saturday and go to spain to get drunk. They
> >    fight our wars and fight at football matches. Not a pretty sight.
>
> Oh yeah I remember Alf! From Melmac right? Remember that time he tried
> to kill that cockroach but the spray just kept making it bigger and
> bigger! Haha... Gawd the hilarity that insued!

I must admit, I really have no idea who Alf Garnett is.

I'll change my sig.

--

------------------------------

From: vidyasagar koneru <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: sound card driver?
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 00:17:09 -0500

==============79C162DB85471A368AA44FEF

hi

Did not find a driver for my soundcard.
These are the lines I saw in the less /proc/pci.
 Bus  0, device  11, function  0:
    Multimedia audio controller: Cirrus Logic Unknown device (rev 1).
      Vendor id=1013. Device id=6003.
      Medium devsel.  IRQ 5.  Master Capable.  Latency=32.  Min
Gnt=4.Max
Lat=24.

Could not figure what was the driver that is required. If anyone knows,
could you send me a link or the driver.

One more question. If I find the .o file for the driver, how should I
add it to the kernel.

Thanks
Sagar Koneru

==============79C162DB85471A368AA44FEF

begin:vcard
n:;
tel;home:(217)359-6735
tel;work:(217)333-8150
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:http://www.students.uiuc.edu/~koneru
adr:;;602 E.Stoughton St. #14;Champaign;IL;61820;USA
version:2.1
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
note;quoted-printable:Great people are ordinary people with extraordinary amounts
of=0D=0Adetermination
fn:vidyasagar koneru
end:vcard

From: Tom Smith (QIM) <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Feminism ==> subjugation of males
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 05:22:52 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
> > Modern feminism decries "the patriarchy", and then whines for
> > it to come back and clean up her diapers, because she still hasn't
> > learned to shit in the toilet.

It's not his fault, it's that damn Eminem that made us do it!!

Tom

------------------------------

From: "Bobby D. Bryant" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Windows 2000 Rocks!
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 23:22:02 +0600

"Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:

> Edward Rosten wrote:
> >
> > I'm using 3.3.6 and it rocks. If it sucks donkey balls compared to 4.03,
> > then I'll have to get XF4.
>
> I don't have personal experience with it yet, but my understanding
> is that XFree86 4.03 puts previous versions to shame.

FWIW, I ran the multi-hour benchmark on one of the 3.95 pre-releases, and it
showed a 40% speedup compared to 3.3.3.  YMMV.

Bobby Bryant
Austin, Texas

------------------------------

From: "Bobby D. Bryant" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 23:19:30 +0600

Nils Zonneveld wrote:

> Nigel Feltham wrote:
>
> > You mean the X-windows system that lets you run code on any Unix machine
> > and display it's output on any computer that has graphics capability - the
> > 2 machines don't even need to be in the same country. Lets see your Mac do
> > this then.
>
> Wow fantastic features! But how useful? Certainly useful in a number of
> situations, but on an average desktop it's nothing else but bloat. And
> bloat is really an issue with X-windows, it's incredibly slow.

1) I'm not interested in the average desktop.  I'm interested in what *I* do,
and this is an incredibly useful feature for what I do.  (I suspect lots of
other people would find that they couldn't live without it, if only they ever
tried it for a couple of weeks.)

2) Like the desktop animations on Mac OS X aren't bloat.  A friend just got a
new OS X laptop, and couldn't wait to show me all the useless animations in the
window manager.  Fun, yes; useful, no ==> bloat.

Bobby Bryant
Austin, Texas

------------------------------

From: "JS PL" <hi everybody!>
Subject: Re: Justice Department LOVES Microsoft!
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 01:26:45 -0400

"Matthew Gardiner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> JS PL wrote:

> > Windows..Pffft..
> > >
> > > Even after I explain the deception, he still doesn't get it.
> >
> > Explaining something which is possible isn't proof that your doing it.
Your
> > using Windows98 and lying about it. Your worse than Devlin who uses it
and
> > claims he's forced to do it.

> > > So, what college campus did you trespass upon?
> >
> > SDSU - dropped out after a year, and have never looked back.
>
> LOL. me, a 4 year degree vs. JS PL, a college drop out!
>
> Matthew Gardiner

I did have a paragraph written in response to your 4 year degree bragging
but have decided against posting it. But believe it or not the easiest money
is found in places where 4 year degrees mean nothing.

------------------------------

From: Matthew Gardiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: sound card driver?
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 17:28:38 +1200

vidyasagar koneru wrote:

> hi
>
> Did not find a driver for my soundcard.
> These are the lines I saw in the less /proc/pci.
>  Bus  0, device  11, function  0:
>     Multimedia audio controller: Cirrus Logic Unknown device (rev 1).
>       Vendor id=1013. Device id=6003.
>       Medium devsel.  IRQ 5.  Master Capable.  Latency=32.  Min
> Gnt=4.Max
> Lat=24.
>
> Could not figure what was the driver that is required. If anyone knows,
> could you send me a link or the driver.
>
> One more question. If I find the .o file for the driver, how should I
> add it to the kernel.
>
> Thanks
> Sagar Koneru

That is pretty vague, what is the name, version,model of the sound
card.  I would also suggest jumping onto the irc.linux.com and joing
#linuxhelp to get some help, or post on the zdnet linux help board.

Matthew Gardiner
--
Disclaimer:

I am the resident BOFH (Bastard Operator From Hell)

If you don't like it, you can go [# rm -rf /home/luser] yourself

Running SuSE Linux 7.1

The best of German engineering, now in software form

------------------------------

From: "Bobby D. Bryant" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 23:29:03 +0600

Hullo wrote:

> It's great.

Yes, great rocks are well known for how fast they fall and how hard they
crash.

Bobby Bryant
Austin, Texas

------------------------------

From: "Thomas Pfisterer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: bank switches from using NT 4
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 07:29:55 +0200

Chad Myers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> schrieb in im Newsbeitrag:
qz4F6.184315$[EMAIL PROTECTED]

> "Thomas Pfisterer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:9c0o3q$6qs$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >
> > Chad Myers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> schrieb in im Newsbeitrag:
> > MgIE6.146578$[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > >
> > > "mmnnoo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > news:7KHE6.75389$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > pirates

> > > So your needs are a mostly unusable OS with half-baked apps and
> > > a buggy, if not completely broken UI? Cool!
> >
> > If YOU dont use anything it is unusable ?

> > > Poppycock. You've obviously never tried NT or let alone Win2K, so you
> > > really don't know what your talking about. Win9x sucks, big time. NT
> > > and 2K are far superior to anything else out there on the market,
> > > includig previous MS oses.
> >
> > May i lol ?
> > So why do i have to install the latest SR after every installation of
any
> > program or driver i install ????
> > Perhaps i am wrong, but why are there 6 (six) "Service"-Releases for WIN
NT
> > 4.0 ????
>
> So no patches have every been released for any other OS? What are those
> things called "patches" I see for Linux?

First of all, you do not have to install a Patch for Linux after every other
installation of software !
Second, in Linux you dont have to patch bugs that were caused by other parts
of the OS, but affects this part of it !

> > Isnīt SERVICERELEASE another name for BUGFIX ???
>
> It's a fully regressioned tested collection of bugfixes. You do know what
> regression testing is, don't you?
Be sure i do ! g*

> Probably not, since you use Linux.
> There is no concept of regression testing in Linux, they just put the
> patch out and hope it doesn't blow anything else up.

Whereīs the difference to MS-Bugfixes ?
So many Patches of MS causes other severe errors in Windows ! How often do
you have to install a patch for a patch ?
Dont tell me Linux is inferior if it isnt !

> > >You so realize that NT/2K are of a completely
> > > different code base and are not the Win16-based crap that Win9x, are,
> > > right?

> > > Right, and this is why Win9x sucks. Win2K doesn't have this problem.
> >
> > W2K doesnīt have the problem with the registry ?
>
> What problem with the registry?

You donīt know anything about registry, donīt you ?
Ever saw a registry of windows after several month (once i did, but Windows
wasnīt working anymore !) of usage and software installation and
de-installation ?
 Take a look at the size of the registry and the speed of Windows !
Youīll never see that in Linux !

> > Another Joke ?
> > And next you tell me Win NT and W2k do not have problems with memory
> > management !
>
> They don't, WinNT and 2K have excellent memory management. Better
> than many commercial OSes out there today. Even better than Linux,
> that's for sure.

ROFL
Depending on what you call "excellent" ! (What is a blue screen ?)
It is definitely the worst Memory Management ever ! MAC OS has a better one,
OS/2 had a better one .... tbc
Come on ! Memory Managements of every Windows Version are poor !!!
I am sitting now in front of Windose NT 4.0 WS and i can show you several
ways the Memory Management dont work proper !
(for e.g. compare the amount of memory before and after a screensaver worked
!)
THAT are FACTS !
Our old Novell-Server has now a uptime of 296 days, our Win NT-Server have
to be booted every month to get his memory clean again and keep him working.
And dont tell me that memory managment bugs are caused by the software
running on the machine, IT IS THE WORK OF THE OS !!!

> > And that there are no security-holes !
>
> Nah, never said that. Of course, no other OS is immune to this either,
> so you have no leg to stand on there.

One leg is enough here !
But you are true ! A OS cant be absolutly immune to Crackers !
But when i think about the amount of security holes in Windows....!
Compare it with Unix ! Unix is much longer a part of the internet (i know,
internet was born on unix)  and is also much longer the aim of crackers
around the world.
Windows was born after all this security related things were known to
everyone in the business !

> > Once SUN Microsystems purported that W2k has about 63.000 bugs,
Microsoft
> > itself objected this amount and corrected it to 28.000 bugs !
>
> And Debian had like 37,000 bugs. Software has bugs. Bugs get fixed.

I never told Linux dont have bugs ! You told us Windows is the superior OS !
By the way, compare the time goes by a Linux-Bug (if really exist) is fixed
and the time goes by a Windows-Bug is fixed (if it will ever be fixed)

> Win2K shipped with far less than 28,000 bugs. In fact, over 70% of those
> "bugs" were merely feature requests and requests for different
functionality
> (i.e. something worked, but the button should be *here* not *here*, etc)

Yeah, i know, "Itīs not a bug, itīs a feature !"
And the bugs in Linux are most problems with the compatibility of hardware !
Seems you counted all the bugs in windows !?
Ever counted the severe bugs in Windows ?

> But then, why do I waste my breath. It's obvious you don't care about
facts,
> otherwise you wouldn't have made the above statements.

FACTS ? You tell me about facts ?
"Win2K shipped with far less than 28,000 bugs."
Is that a fact or just your oppinion ?
If it is a fact, what is the number of Microsoft (MS said there are 28.000
bugs !) ? A lie ?

(Result of a poll: Windows crashes on average every 63 days !
I say: To get that avarage do not turn your computer on the first 62 days !)

------------------------------

From: Jim Richardson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why do Win advocates suck?  Part 1
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 22:43:59 -0700

In msgid <umoE6.4673$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, pookoopookoo wrote:
on Saturday 21 April 2001 16:05

>> Lets see, linux can handle my digital camera, by 3d games, the occasional
>> movie trailer, my document creation and formatting needs, my personal
>> finance needs, my mp3 collection. And all that programmer and internet
>> services stuff.
>
> That's great. Let's say I have a preconfigured Linux box, I go out and buy
> myself an agfa cl-20, what are my chances of installing it on my own, as a
> regular joe user? Just curious, I actually have no idea if this will work
> or not =)

install what? it uses CF cards, plug them into the $40 adapter and treat
them like a hard drive.

--
Jim Richardson
        Anarchist, pagan and proud of it

From: Jim Richardson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 22:45:31 -0700

In msgid <VMOE6.3924$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, pookoopookoo wrote:
on Sunday 22 April 2001 22:08

>> Another advantage of being a Linux user.  You can have a full suite of
>> software, at an affordable price, without having to steal it.
>

> Hehe, so it's an "if you build it, they will steal kind of thing"?
>
> How do linux programmers make a living anyway? I'm convinced they all work
> at Denneys =) Since they don't get paid a dime for their programming
> efforts, they must all have low-end day jobs. Or crappy unrewarding
> Technical Administration jobs (it sucks to be sysadmin, believe me boys
> and girls).

why do you say they don't get paid for programming?
        building a straw man?

From: "Paolo Ciambotti" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Anyone have any stats on how many times RedHat 7.1 is being    downloaded?
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 22:53:57 -0700

In article <9q%E6.1339$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Kelsey
Bjarnason" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Well, I've been through 4 burns, two machines, and about 897 different
> reboots, and RH71 refuses to admit that the CD it booted from is, in
> fact, an RH CD, refuses to connect to a server and refuses to read the
> info off the SCSI CD.  All in all, a royal pain in the proverbials.

I've just been through this same torture.  I needed to grab an RPM off
the first RH CD, and couldn't mount it; couldn't mount my install RH7 CD
under RH7.  Had to snarf it off a Caldera CD instead.  Bizarre....

------------------------------

From: Ray Chason <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: More Lies from a Linux "advocate"
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 06:07:11 -0000

Excuse me, but if y'all must reply to Kooklis, either directly or
indirectly, woult it be too much to ask to send his Big Wanking Sig
to /dev/null where all spam belongs?

--
 --------------===============<[ Ray Chason ]>===============--------------
         PGP public key at http://www.smart.net/~rchason/pubkey.asc

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bruce Scott TOK)
Crossposted-To: comp.theory,comp.arch,comp.object
Subject: Re: Blame it all on Microsoft
Date: 16 Apr 2001 20:27:46 +0200

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Brent R  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Donn Miller wrote:
>>
>> Brent R wrote:
>>
>> > Exactly, I wanted to like Linux better than Windows so much but
>> > apparently MS is the only company that can write a decent browser.
>>
>> What about KDE 2.1's Konqueror?  Decent, but doesn't work with all
>> sites.

>> http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
>> -----==  Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =-----
>
>Ahh, but what if you don't like KDE? Most Linux people don't like KDE
>because it's too much like Windows.
>
>I'll admit that I haven't tried it for that reason.

I don't like KDE either... but its games work under fvwm2.  So does its
browser?

--
cu,
Bruce