  Re: t. max devlin: kook (Ed Allen)

From: Chris Ahlstrom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,soc.singles
Subject: Re: Baseball
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 04:02:30 GMT

Nomen Nescio wrote:

> Chris Ahlstrom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> eeped:
> > Nomen Nescio wrote:
> > >
> > > how many retailers sell linux machines again?
> > >                         jackie 'anakin' tokeman
> > >
> > > p.s. sneering & not bathing does not a viable marketing strategy make
> >
> > Only a moron would wonder about the sales of a
> > free downloadable operating system.
>
> funny, i could have sworn i saw a bunch of nerdos whining about how
> mean old microsoft was preventing retailers and vendors from selling
> machines with linux preinstalled via those mean nasty monopolistic
> agreements.
> it is good that at least one person concedes that linux's absolute
> failure to penetrate the desktop is entirely the fault of the system
> rather than blaming microsoft for its woeful inadequacies.
>                         jackie 'anakin' tokeman

You draw an inference that is not logical.  First of all, Linux
is quite successful, due to fast connections such as cable and
DSL.  I bought a couple of Red Hat distros, but now I just be
patient and download them.  As far as I am aware, these downloads
are not counted.

The lack of Linux sales from vendors is easy to explain...
Linux is, in spite of some brief news media hype, a system
unknown to anyone who is not a computer buff.  Those who are
not computer buffs, but yet buy a computer, get their operating
system via the Crimosoft tax, levied through something akin
to the Japanese dumping chips on the American market.

Crimosoft actually has relatively decent software, but they
nonetheless had to resort to predatory practices to strengthen
their market position.  Their programmers write with pride,
but, in spite of their spending on human factors, testing,
and the offering of beta tests, a surprising number of
bugs still make it through to the poor end user, who
gets it in the end.

Anyone who tries to use Microsoft software to its full
extent finds that it exhibits rather extraordinary problems,
given all the testing it is supposed to have received.
Word 2000 has troubles with documents of 100 pages, and
even less if features such as change tracking are turned on.
Visual C++ 6.00 introduced very debilitating bugs in the
use of namespaces and friend functions, which, for me,
were not solved officially, but only through the
graciousness of a Microsoft techie who sent me a fixed
version of c1xx.dll.  Visio 2000, now assimilated by
Crimosoft, exhibits a plethora of problems related to
UML diagrams.  For example, one can remove the protection
feature from the width and height of a UML object, only
to find that trying to change its size merely moves it.
Visio UML diagrams inserted into a Word document will
sometimes causes Word and Visio to hang with a flickering
hourglass cursor, which will not go away under Win 2000 until
one brings up the Task Manager and kills those processes.

I aver that anyone who spends some time with Linux soon
realizes that Windows 2000 suffers from giving too much
control of OS resources to the operating system... hence
the 100% CPU usage incurred by Microsoft Word 2000 often
interferes with other applications.  Menus pop up, but
only after seconds of disk thrashing.  Opening a
directory by clicking the plus-sign often takes so long
that the user clicks again, only to see the directory
open and close in rapid sequence a few seconds later.
For an operating system that prides itself on intuitive
GUIs, Windows 2000 is often amazingly unresponsive,
allowing applications to consume resources so that the
OS doesn't respond to user commands.

I've found that Linux is also unresponsive when its
CPU usage is 100%.  However, this state rarely happens
under Linux,as it does not allocate the entire resources
of the machine to a single application.  Hence, stopping
an errant app occurs immediately, rather than after a 5 to
20-second wait.

The only other wonder is that the predatory and piratic
practices of Crimosoft have not resulted in its having
a 100% market share, instead of only 92%, on the desktop.
This failure of the strategies of Bill Gates and Steve
Ballmer (not to mention that inventor of the Crimosoft
tax, Nathan Myhrvold) will only be magnified as time
goes on.  Their relative failure in the server market
will be reflected on the desktop.

Unfortunately, I believe that this failure will still
result in only about a 15% to 20% /market/ share for
Linux in the long run.  Fortunately, Linux usage is
not determined by the market.  It is determined by
access to high-bandwidth connections.  Unfortunately,
Bill will be able to tax the internet using his
.NET strategy.

For what it's worth, Linux has penetrated this
user's desktop.  I now use Windows only to do tasks
associated with my job, and that under duress.
Microsoft software is just too unresponsive,
though Win 2000 has undeniable improvements.
One has to depend on third parties to offer dependable
code for deep access (e.g. ports of the UNIX
libpcap to Windows to allow for low-level access
to sockets.)  One has to dig, often in futility,
through the Crimosoft Knowledge Base and the MSDN
disks to find inadequate information that, for Linux,
is found in the first few links uncovered by a
Google search.

Microsoft even benefits from the Free Software
movement, which has resulted in ports of tcpdump,
namp, the GIMP, GTK+, Tex, enscript, gcc, and
other great software to Windoze.  Not to mention
the inclusion of free software in Microsoft's
lagging command-line tools.

Security?  Microsoft still lags.
Hardware support?  No thanks to Microsoft.
I can download pictures from my HP Photosmart using
Linux or Win2000, but not from Win NT.  I can
compile all sorts of projects under both Windows and
Linux, but not projects written by Crimosoft, whose
employees still believe, even after three decades, that
"portability is for canoes".

Crimosoft still has enough true believers in the business
world to survive, but its peak of popularity among the
computer literate ended about 1997, around the same time
they screwed up Office 95 by releasing Office 97.

Chris

--
"Where do you want to meet Dr. Watson today?"

------------------------------

From: Chris Ahlstrom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Winvocates confuse me - d'oh!
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 04:10:58 GMT

Chad Myers wrote:

> I had to mention this, because, believe it or not, many Windows-haters
> don't realize this and still think that WinNT or 2K are sucky like
> Win3.1 or Win95 and seek to insult it at such a level which is, as
> I'm sure you agree, really ignorant.

True.  Still, Microsoft has only started to realize the value of
the UNIX style, and their software still is amazingly buggy for
a company that supposedly devotes a lot of resources to testing.

Chris

--
"Where do you want to hang today?"

------------------------------

From: Chris Ahlstrom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Justice Department LOVES Microsoft!
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 04:11:48 GMT

"Scott R. Godin" wrote:

> Interestingly it was the MacOS that forced Microsoft to put Windows on
> the map at all. :)

"Make it look like /the Mac/", was Bill's whiny refrain.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Roberto Alsina)
Crossposted-To:
misc.survivalism,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,soc.singles,alt.society.liberalism,talk.politics.guns
Subject: Re: Communism, Communist propagandists in the US...still..to this day.
Date: 25 Apr 2001 04:12:56 GMT

On Tue, 24 Apr 2001 20:43:35 -0700, Gunner © <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>On 24 Apr 2001 22:42:18 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Roberto Alsina) wrote:
>

>>>If you ask one of the crime victims, would he/she say that the
>>>police protected him/her?
>>
>>Apparently we have this difference of interpretation. By "protecting
>>the people" I simply mean "reducing the danger for the people" while
>>you seem to mean "eliminating the danger for the people".
>
>Weasel wording... sigh...

Well, since apparently that made so much of a difference to him,
I thought it would be a nice gesture to make the intended meaning
more explicit.

As we say around here, it's not the same un metro de encaje negro...

> I reduce the danger for my self far better than the Government does. I
>purchase my own seatbelts, my own fire extingushers, my one security
>systems and my own bullets (and the bastards have the nads to charge me
>sales tax too...)

If you had no government you would have no traffic lights. That
seatbelt would get used really quick. Your objection is laughable.

--
Roberto Alsina

------------------------------

From: Du Winta <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why Linux Is no threat to Windows domination of the desktop
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 18:17:11 -0500

> Question #2
> And in that time, has the attempted brainwashing campaign changed the
> TRUE desires of heterosexual men even one iota?
>
> a) yes
> B) NO
>
> I rest my case.

        I would prefer a nice 50 year old woman to a 22 year old women, who
would abuse me.

------------------------------

From: "JS PL" <hi everybody!>
Subject: Re: Windows 2000 - It is an excellent product
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 00:28:50 -0400

"Chad Everett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On Tue, 24 Apr 2001 04:47:25 -0500, Erik Funkenbusch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> >"Chronos Tachyon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote
in
> >message

> >users
> >>
> >> Very.  In Linux, you have at *least* 3 options that are more secure
than
> >> what you described for Win2K:
> >>
> >> 1) Make your CD writing program setuid.  If I'm not mistaken, cdrecord
> >(the
> >> most commonly used CD writing program under Linux) is designed to be
> >> relatively secure when made setuid, although I wouldn't really trust it
> >> without a full source audit.
> >
> >You can do the same with Win2k.  You can run any program as another user,
> >including administrator when you are not logged in as that account.
> >
> >> 2) Do a "chgrp cdrom /dev/{sr,sg}0; chmod 0660 /dev/{sr,sg}0", then
make
> >> your CD writing program setgid.  This way, the program does not gain
root
> >> permissions at any time during its execution.
> >
> >You can do the same in Win2k setting the execute permissions to the
device
> >drivers to only administrators and then giving permission to only one
user
> >or groups of users, then giving them the ability to start and stop
devices.
> >They can only then start the devices they have permissions to.
> >

> But none of these things allow a non-administrator on Windows 2K Pro to
> write to CD/RW drives.  What a crock.  I installed a CD/RW drive for users
> to create CDs on a Windows 2K Pro system, and they can't.  I am not about
> to make them administrators.

Why can't you? I just did it. Even took 4 screenshots of the whole thing.
Another Linvocate lie debunked.

I installed CDRWin. http://goldenhawk.com - created a user with default
"user" permissions. Logged in as that user and quite simply burned a disk
without a hitch. What's the problem. EZ CD Creator wouldn't do it, but that
barely works anyway.

------------------------------

From: "JS PL" <hi everybody!>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 00:33:47 -0400

"Chad Everett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On Tue, 24 Apr 2001 13:35:02 -0400, JS PL <hieverybody!> wrote:
> >
> >"Chad Everett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
Like
> >most

> >> You don't seem to get how crappy Windows 2000 Professional is, do you?:
> >>
> >>    "The built-in Windows 2000 drivers for CD-R, CD-RW, and DVD-R
devices
> >>    treat them as read-only devices".
> >>
> >>    NOTE: "No version of Microsoft Windows to date (Windows 2000,
Microsoft
> >>    Windows NT, Microsoft Windows 98, Microsoft Windows 95, or Microsoft
> >Windows
> >>    3.x) natively supports the ability to write to CD-R, CD-RW, or DVD-R
> >devices.
> >>    Writing to (or "burning") these devices requires third-party drivers
> >and
> >>    software in Windows 2000."
> >>
> >>    Third-Party Software - The following third-party software is known
> >support
> >>    Windows 2000, but you should check with the manufacturer for proper
> >version
> >>    and updated software.
> >>
> >>    Adaptec CD-R Software
> >>    Easy CD Creator version 3.5c
> >>    Easy CD Creator versions 4.0, 4.02 (4.02 is officially supported on
> >Windows 2000)
> >>    Adaptec DirectCD 3.01
> >>    Adaptec Easy CD Creator version 3.5b or earlier, and Adaptec
DirectCD
> >versions 3.0 or earlier, are not supported on Windows 2000-based
> >>    computers and may encounter problems if you install them.
> >>    See Q237468. Visit
> >http://www.adaptec.com/tools/compatibility/win2k_cdr.html.
> >>

> >> All those third party products cost $MONEY$, and the two I've tried
> >reguire
> >> you to be administrator to write to CDs.
> >
> >Due to continuous improvement, Windows XP will have built in ability to
> >write to cd's. Then we shall all witness the weeping and wailing and
> >knashing of teeth from anti-MS crowd about  the harm big bad Microsoft is
> >purposely inflicting upon Adaptec et al.
> >

> It's a shame that the "almighty" Windows can't even do something as
> simple as letting a user write to a CD/RW drive...don't you think?
>
> Oh I forgot....that'll be something we can pay $money$ to do in the
> next release.
>
> Linux, of course, had no problem doing this whatsoever.

Neither does Windows2000 pro. You, once again, are working with false
information. Users can easily burn discs with default user permissions.
Anyone caring to see for themselves simply install CDRWin from
goldenhawk.com , and burn to your hearts content. I'm sure just about any
other app will work too.

------------------------------

From: Gunner © <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
misc.survivalism,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,soc.singles,alt.society.liberalism,talk.politics.guns
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 21:37:41 -0700

On 25 Apr 2001 04:12:56 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Roberto Alsina) wrote:

>>>Apparently we have this difference of interpretation. By "protecting
>>>the people" I simply mean "reducing the danger for the people" while
>>>you seem to mean "eliminating the danger for the people".
>>
>>Weasel wording... sigh...
>
>Well, since apparently that made so much of a difference to him,
>I thought it would be a nice gesture to make the intended meaning
>more explicit.
>
>As we say around here, it's not the same un metro de encaje negro...
>
>> I reduce the danger for my self far better than the Government does. I
>>purchase my own seatbelts, my own fire extingushers, my one security
>>systems and my own bullets (and the bastards have the nads to charge me
>>sales tax too...)
>
>If you had no government you would have no traffic lights. That
>seatbelt would get used really quick. Your objection is laughable.

You need a traffic light to observe basic traffic laws? Why am I not
surprised.  Oddly enough.. I rather think there are more towns in
America without traffic lights, than with them. I wonder why the
insurance rates are so low in those areas?

BTW...

In a unsolicited  Email from Roberto.....

His words are first layer quoted >
My response is in bold...

On Wed, 25 Apr 2001 01:08:12 -0300, you wrote:

>>>Protecting the nation is protecting the individuals.
>
>>So... there is a GDL Mk2 satellite watching my home for me, and there
>>are a squad of Rangers (HU HA!) making sure no one steals my lawnmower.
>>THANKS Roberto. Im ever so greatful for that.
>
>Well, they are probably protecting you from other things. Not every
>protective action affects every possible threat.

Operative word.." Probably". Im happy that they are protecting me from
Red China. Im a bit unhappy that the Protective government you all claim
is so awesum, is not protecting me from the muggers or the carjackers or
the burglars.

   Now.. feel free to take this to the newsgroup, as I do not argue or
debate with those I do not know via email.  If you have something to say
about a public thread..do it via the thread.

""The greatest evil is conceived and ordered (moved, seconded, carried and minuted)
 in clean, carpeted, warmed and well-lighted offices...like the
bureaucracy of a police state or a thoroughly nasty business concern."
C.S. Lewis, The Screwtape Letters

------------------------------

From: "JS PL" <hi everybody!>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 00:40:10 -0400

"Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:9c3h9m$bo6$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > I did have a paragraph written in response to your 4 year degree
> > bragging but have decided against posting it. But believe it or not the
> > easiest money is found in places where 4 year degrees mean nothing.
>
> That would be working at McDonalds. You require no degree, no skills and
> little more than a brain stem. Has to be the easiest source of (not very
> much) money.

I wouldn't call working at McDonalds "easy money". It looks like a pain in
the ass to me.

------------------------------

From: Nomen Nescio <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 07:00:08 +0200 (CEST)

Du Winta <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Question #2
> > And in that time, has the attempted brainwashing campaign changed the
> > TRUE desires of heterosexual men even one iota?
> >
> > a) yes
> > B) NO
> >
> > I rest my case.
>
>         I would prefer a nice 50 year old woman to a 22 year old women, who
> would abuse me.

i would prefer a skilled whore to either
                        jackie 'anakin' tokeman

men fear thought as they fear nothing else on earth - more than ruin,
more even than death
- bertrand russell

Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,soc.singles
Subject: Re: t. max devlin: kook
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ed Allen)
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 05:00:56 GMT

http://ratpoison.sourceforge.net/