From: "Les Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: bank switches from using NT 4
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 01:13:26 GMT

"Boris Dynin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:jfaF6.23248$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > The ISAPI stuff is hidden (by the ASP processing), but there, and
> > without some twiddling the msxml.dll won't run out of process.
> > Another guy here managed to set it up that way but now when the
> > xml handler crashes, IIS continues to accept jobs for it which then
> > block because there is no handler and nothing restarts another one.
> > That's even worse, because my load balancer won't detect it until it
fails
> > hundreds of times and stops accepting connections completely.   How
> > do I make IIS restart the crashed process?   If I can't, it was better
> > let IIS itself crash since the services manager will restart it.

> You should probably have it like this:
> -------------                  ------------------------------
> IIS process | Calls         | Server package process        |
>                   | ---------->|
> |
> ASPs         |                   |     Intermediate component   |
> ------------                    |                 |  Calls
|
>                                       |                V
> |
>                                       |            MSXML.DLL         |
>                                       ------------------------------
>
> If there is an exception in MSXML.DLL,  Server package process will crash
> and ASP will get an error code.
> Server package process will be restarted by COM+.

What does it take to make that happen?  Apache is pretty straightforward,
but have never found any documentation for IIS that makes any sense.

From: Chris Ahlstrom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,soc.singles
Subject: Re: Baseball
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 01:39:42 GMT

jim dutton wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> Chris Ahlstrom  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >Nomen Nescio wrote:
> >>
> >> how many retailers sell linux machines again?
> >>                         jackie 'anakin' tokeman
> >>
> >> p.s. sneering & not bathing does not a viable marketing strategy make
> >
> >Only a moron would wonder about the sales of a
> >free downloadable operating system.
> >
> >Into the breech steps jackie!
>
>  If sarcasm bit you on the ass Chris would you notice?

It didn't bite me, though.  Sarcasm is often conveyed by
voice tone, or, in text, by quotes and other symbols.
Although jackie may have meant sarcasm, his writing did
not convey it.

>  Never mind we saw the answer.

Who's "we"?

>  -Jeem, The stupidity runs deep in that one

Uhhhh, is /that/ one "sarcasm"?

Chris

--
"Where do you want to **bleep** today?"

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (theRadical)
Crossposted-To:
alt.society.liberalism,misc.survivalism,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,soc.singles
Subject: Re: Communism
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 01:41:03 GMT

On Wed, 25 Apr 2001 18:03:49 -0700, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>> > Ma'am..for you , Ill make sure you get a good selection of every thing
>> > for free.
>>
>> Everything?
>>
>> But...sue's a married woman.
>
>I am?  You mean that paperwork I got from the court in 1987 was fake?
>Geeze, I hope this doesn't get out because I sure don't want The Asshole
>showing up at my door demanding his marital "rights".  eeewwww.  If I am
>still married, as you say, I must say that these last 14 years have been
>the best part of it. <G>
>
>Sue (who is "taken" but not married)

just more proof that "kulkis the shit head" has absolutely no idea of
what he speaks.

------------------------------

From: "Paolo Ciambotti" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Windows 98 and denial
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 18:56:26 -0700

In article <9c7jji$cbihh$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Nigel Feltham"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I bet the average win9x user is so stupid they think denial is a river
> in egypt.

Any fool knows it's a mountain range in Alaska.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.theory,comp.arch,comp.object
Subject: Re: Blame it all on Microsoft
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 22:01:13 -0400

Jerry Coffin wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
>
> [ ... ]
>
> > > MULTICS predates UNIX.  Though AT&T was one of the contributors to
> > > MULTICS, they didn't originate it.  IBM had a number of multi-
> > > platform OSes prior to MULTICS anyway.
> >
> > No.  IBM's OS's were always compiled against an unvarying assembly-language
> > architecture.  The CPU *hardware* might change, but the microprogramming
> > in the CPU presented the assemblers with an unchanging platform.
>
> Not so -- they did a reasonably portable OS as part of the 7090
> Stretch project.  When the Stretch project was cancelled, so was the
> OS project even though it wasn't really tied to that particular
> hardware.
>
> [ ... ]
>
> > IBM was giving code away in the 1950's?
> >
> > Surely, you're joking, Mr. Coffin.
>
> Surely I'm not.  Early on, OSes and such were not viewed as having
> any value in and of themselves -- IBM (and the Seven Dwarves) viewed
> themselves as hardware vendors.  Software was simply something they
> were obliged to throw in to keep their hardware competitive.  Most of
> it was written in assembly language, so it wasn't portable to any
> other hardware, so as far as the vendors cared, if you improved their
> software and distributed the improved version, you were doing them a
> favor -- it made their hardware even more attractive without costing
> them anything like it did when they made the improvements themselves.

Read "Hackers" by Steven Levy and get back to us.

> This changed primarily for two reasons: 1) eventually software
> started to be seen as a source of revenue itself, and 2)Amdahl and
> such came along and built machines that could run the same software,
> so the lack of portability no longer ensured that improvements were
> only useful to the original vendor anyway.  OTOH, if you look at the
> software and the laws of the time, you'll find that most early
> mainframe OSes included source code.  The copyright law (at least in
> the US) at the time said that things were NOT copyrighted unless you
> specifically claimed copyright on them.  Since the source code often
> lacked a copyright notice, it was placed in the public domain.
> Therefore, IBM (as well as many of their competitors) had no legal
> grounds for stopping you from doing as you wished with the source
> code in any case.
>
> [ ... ]

> > > DARPA itself mostly provided funding.  The people they funded are the
> > > ones to blame for this particular mess.
> >
> > BLAME?
>
> Yes, absolutely.  TCP/IP is solidly inferior to most of its
> competitors -- it has high overhead, poor scalability, lousy security
> and quite a few hard limits built in (such as 32-bit addressing).
>
> > spending too much time indulging in columbian exports, I see.
>
> Are you actually capable of discussing things for even two
> consecutive messages without using (blatantly false) personal
> attacks?  If you want to extoll the virtues of TCP/IP and claim it's
> superior to the alternatives, you're a fool, but the sort of personal
> attack above brands you as both a fool and a criminal.
>
> --
>     Later,
>     Jerry.
>
> The Universe is a figment of its own imagination.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To:
alt.society.liberalism,misc.survivalism,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,soc.singles
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 19:03:26 -0700

theRadical wrote:

> On Wed, 25 Apr 2001 18:03:49 -0700, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> >> Everything?
> >>
> >> But...sue's a married woman.
> >
> >I am?  You mean that paperwork I got from the court in 1987 was fake?
> >Geeze, I hope this doesn't get out because I sure don't want The Asshole
> >showing up at my door demanding his marital "rights".  eeewwww.  If I am
> >still married, as you say, I must say that these last 14 years have been
> >the best part of it. <G>
> >
> >Sue (who is "taken" but not married)
>
> just more proof that "kulkis the shit head" has absolutely no idea of
> what he speaks.

I have no idea how he came to this conclusion (probably just for humor's
sake), but I don't see how this has anything to do with anything else.
As the "offended party"  I'm not the least offended.  Try some other way
to prove your point.  I don't think you can.

Sue

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.theory,comp.arch,comp.object
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 22:02:24 -0400

Peter da Silva wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Matthew Gardiner wrote:
>
> > > Xenix?
>
> > Cheap imitation of AT&T Unix.
>
> It was a licensed port... <blah blah fucking blah>

Translation: Did NOT originate with Mafia$oft.

Hope that helps.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: Chris Morgan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.theory,comp.arch,comp.object
Date: 25 Apr 2001 22:06:38 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Larry Kilgallen) writes:

> Mr Stallman did not invent the concept, he just advocates something
> patterned after the operating procedures used with the PDP-1 at
> MIT about 1962 or so.  Quite a bit before anything called "XMODEM"
> I would say.

As much as it pains me to defend Aaron Kulkis, he was talking about
MIT in the 50s and 60s, he didn't even mention Richard Stallman. I
would imagine this comes from a reading of Steven Levy's excellent
"Hackers" e.g. the model railroad club which was described a spiritual
ancestor to computer hacking, and then goes on to talk about Gospar et
al. Stallman was only even added to that book as an afterthought.
--
Chris Morgan <cm at mihalis.net>                  http://www.mihalis.net
      Temp sig. - Enquire within

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.theory,comp.arch,comp.object
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 22:10:08 -0400

Michael Lyle wrote:

> In article <7vzF6.438$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Jeffrey Boulier
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> > Jan Vorbrueggen  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > >- at least two of them still exist today,
> >
> > Which two? I'm guessing that SNA is one, but what would be the other
> > popular proprietary network protocol?
>
> Wow. I would never claim that SNA was superior to TCP/IP, or even NCP.
> If I recall correctly, SNA was a strict tree topology, with no peer to
> peer communication possible.  A graph (as used by TCP/IP and its
> ancestors) seems much more robust, scalable and manageable than a tree
> for communications.  I never read much about the specifics of DECnet,
> so I can't comment, but I certainly felt that it was proprietary and
> far too complex.

TCP/IP takes line of configuration,
and 2 commands to get up and running

SNA takes 5 files PER REMOTE MACHINE, and several commands to get running.

And for all that, it's still a low bandwidth connection.

SNA sucks.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: John T. Kennedy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
soc.men,alt.current-events.clinton.whitewater,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,alt.society.liberalism
Subject: Re: Feminism ==> subjugation of males
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 22:19:57 -0400

I eavesdropped on my masters and  "Scott D. Erb" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
said: Last night I had the strangest dream...

>Lynette Warren wrote:
>
>>what a scam American feminism truly is
>
>How do you define feminism?  In feminist theory they are many kinds.  A
>minority of radical feminists veer towards biological determinism and a
>view that men are the main problem.  I find them as misguided as radical
>male chauvinists.  American feminism is dominated by a view that says
>women should not be paid less for their work because of their gender,

Does that mean I shouldn't be allowed to pay women whatever I choose?

I mean is this a wish and a prayer, or do you want to put the force of
the state behind it?

>that women and men should be equal in relationships, forming a
>partnership where they choose freely the roles they want to play and make
>decisions together.

What would stop women from doing that in a free market?

>  American feminism would say women can lead as well
>as men, that it is just as proper for women to protect themselves, carry
>firearms, and engage in risky activities as men.  I find it hard to
>believe that any woman or man would deny that women should be accepted as
>equal partners to men both in relationships and in society.

Well that would neatly define feminism into pure meaninglessness, if
you can't conceive of someone holding a contrary view, wouldn't it
Scott?

>Don't you feel that way?
>
>I actually find constructivist feminists, a minority, to have some
>convincing arguments as well.  They believe that society has privileged
>so-called masculine traits (strength, power, objectivity, lack of
>emotion, domination, etc.) while seeing so-called feminine traits as
>things to be ridiculed (empathy, love, concern, caring, subjectivity,
>cooperation).  They tend to argue that either extreme is bad (leading to
>co-dependency problems for women and a willingess to let the man walk
>over her without her standing up for her interests; and leading to a cold
>focus on power for men, and difficulties to show honest emotion and
>develop empathy and caring for others.

Maybe these women just need to suck it up a little and start acting
like men once in a while.

>They argue the impact of this
>polarization (lack of balance) shows itself in international politics,
>domestic politics, and individual relationships.  However, the kind of
>"liberal feminism" I describe above tends to be the dominant one in the
>US.
>cheers, scott

-

John Thomas Kennedy III
The Wild Shall Ever Wild Remain!
http://www.mindspring.com/~jtkennedy/itswhatitisnow.html

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter da Silva)
Crossposted-To: comp.theory,comp.arch,comp.object
Date: 26 Apr 2001 02:36:32 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Translation: Did NOT originate with Mafia$oft.

Do you have to be so systematically unpleasant?

Microsoft did some good peer-peer networking design in Xenix that produced
a network that, while it didn't scale very well due to OSI's lack of a
credible namespace management (don't talk to me about X.500) and variable
length addresses, was far superior in its integation with the operating
system and overall transparency. It's a pity they abandoned Xenix... their
networking was far better suited to a UNIX environment than a CP/M derivitive.

--
 `-_-'   In hoc signo hack, Peter da Silva.
  'U`    "A well-rounded geek should be able to geek about anything."

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Hauck)
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft
Subject: Re: Exploit devastates WinNT/2K security
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 00:43:56 GMT

On Thu, 26 Apr 2001 00:43:26 +0200, Mart van de Wege <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Bob Hauck"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > NFS is not really suitable for the kind of peer-to-peer file sharing
> > that MS wanted to do.  If you have root on your own machine, you can
> > easily read all the other files off the NFS server.

> I hate to be the newbie to correct you (yuo're obviously more experienced
> with UNIX than me), but isn't that what the 'rootsquash' option is for?

Yes, but that doesn't provide any actual security.  If you are root on
a client, you can simply "su" to any user and mess with their files.
Most NFS installations helpfully put all the user info into NIS for you
as well.  But if not you can simply create the appropriate user
accounts, as the NFS server trusts the UID the client gives it.  It was
designed for environments where the users do not admin their own
machines.

Kerberos and newer versions of NFS/NIS provide a solution to this, but
they weren't around when SMB was thought up.  Anyway, they are a lot
more work to set up than MS Networking was and took a lot more memory
than PC's had at the time.

--
 -| Bob Hauck
 -| To Whom You Are Speaking