From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charlie Ebert)
Subject: Re: Linux beats Win2K (again)
Date: Sun, 20 May 2001 15:54:34 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
GreyCloud wrote:

>True... but the argument is bascially that SETI project is a hoax.  When
>you download software to your personal computer and believe it is in a
>just cause to search for ET, one can only look at the absurdities of
>this research.  There are possible alternatives to long range
>communications other than radio.  The big complaint is the data that the
>end user of SETI receives.  I can't even determine if this data is
>related to the search of ET.  This data could very well be a derivative
>of CARNIVORE or some other project.
>
>After all, this is an unmoderated ng.
>
>--

I had always believed that gravity would bend and distort such signals into
background noise over such vast distances.  I suspected it would be impossible
to hear anything anyway.

--
Charlie
=======

------------------------------

From: "Les Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux posts #1 TPC-H result (W2K still better)
Date: Sun, 20 May 2001 15:57:24 GMT

"Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:9e7uno$3bn$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > The TPC was really designed for commercial vendors and has requirements
> > that are unfair to free programs.
>
> What are those requirements?

They have to do with availability and pricing with a certain support
level over a period of time.   I think the idea was to keep vendors
from building custom products for benchmarking that didn't match
what customers could get.   With free products the sales/support
structure may not match these requirements even if the product itself
is superior.

From: Robert W Lawrence <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why Linux Is no threat to Windows domination of the desktop
Date: Sun, 20 May 2001 09:56:52 -0500

"jet" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

<>
<>Robert W Lawrence <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
<>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
<>> "Glitch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
<>>
<>> <>gotta love the linux advocacy in this thread
<>>
<>> I was thinking the same thing. I would love to know how this thread went
<>linux
<>> vs windows to a discussion of homosexuality.
<>
<>Windows is like totally gay.
<>
<>J
<>

Well that expailns a lot-I have a linux server for my email and a windows server
for my webs-I wondered why they never got along.

Robert W Lawrence
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

1Peter 5:7

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charlie Ebert)
Date: Sun, 20 May 2001 15:57:46 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Pete Goodwin wrote:
>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
>
>> Not curious at all.  This project was contracted by the goverment years
>> ago.   AIX was chosen long before IBM became interested in Linux.  And
>> IBM had years of experience with using AIX on closely coupled systems
>> such as SP2.   LoadLeveler and POE have not yet been ported to Linux.
>> Note that AIX 5.1 brings AIX closer to Linux.  And if you look at the
>> software supported on ASCI White, you'll notice some GNU software.
>
>Linux was around "years ago". Yet IBM chose _not_ to use it.
>
>--
>Pete

Are we on another national bullshit campaign here Pete?

Linux was around "years ago". Yet IBM chose _not_ to use it.

Well, IBM probably didn't choose chalk advertising either.

So, how do you explain chalk advertising in SF?

How about 2.5 million a month plunked into magazine advertising?

What am I doing?  I'm arguing with a total nitwit...

But Pete's goal is to force you to waste time having
to stop and take care of a baby.

--
Charlie
=======

------------------------------

From: Brad Sims <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Mandrake 8 sets the standard - for Desktop users anyway.
Date: Sun, 20 May 2001 15:59:10 GMT

In ashen ink, the dread hand of GreyCloud wrote:

> Well Brad, welcome to the world of Microsoft! Pnp equates to
> Plug and Pray!

Yup, I put a Elder Sign on the inside of the access panels, and
then installed linux.  I _think_ I heard a faint scream as I put
the cover back on. Ia Cthulhu!!!!
--
I sense much distrust in you. Distrust leads to cynicism,
cynicism leads to bitterness, bitterness leads to the

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Linux Advocacy - Wintroll Mission
Date: Sun, 20 May 2001 16:03:56 GMT

On Sun, 20 May 2001 04:49:40 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charlie
Ebert) wrote:

>I read this a little while ago in another message.

>Does Pete Goodwin, really think people who do the things, that
>he is unable to do, and on a daily basis, believe these claims?

Some of the problems he has had in the past have been verified by
others. Same thing with me, although I haven't had a basic Linux
install problem since way back at RedHat 5.2 and that includes SuSE,
Caldera and Mandrake and even Corel (shudder) which installed
perfectly on my system BTW.  I provide details of the problems and I
feel it is quite obvious that I have at least actually gone and tried
the programs. Pete does the same as far as I can tell.

The problem is basic discussions get mired in semantics and
technicalities (ie:Linux is the kernel, or Gimp is not Linux) and
while these may technically be correct, it just clouds the issue.

>It's a statement made frequently by Linux advocates.
>
>Of course not.  The WINTROLL'S mission is to muddy
>the water.

We are not the ones muddying the water.

My DAE discussion of a few months ago was another example. I posted a
clear and concise description of the problem and I would get asked to
repeat myself 50 times, each time someone interjecting some incorrect
information and ultimately clouding the entire discussion.

>The whole reason this person has made the statement
>is he can't believe Pete Goodwin continually posts
>messages about his troubles installing Linux.

It's an advocacy group.
Linux has problems.
Get used to it.

>Yet Pete Goodwin has also said repeatedly that
>Linux is a threat to his job as he writes
>drivers for Windows.  He feels threatened.

I don't recall reading that, but I'll take you at your word.
For me, I would love to switch to Linux as I have said before.

>Business doesn't care about our opinions.  If your
>offended by something posted on COLA or for that matter
>any newsgroup then you were the person to blame.

True.

>You pushed the button.  You can ignore posts.
>
>Business has one simple objective.  To make a profit.
>The more they can increase sales and reduce the
>expenses the more that profit becomes.

True.

>A Redhat equipped Web server is less than 1/10 the
>cost of an equivalent Microsoft server.

Including admin/training cost's?
Sources please.

>There has never been a sucessful company who's
>chose the more expensive way of doing business.

Mercedes is one, although as of recent times that is crumbling.
Rolls Royce another.
They cater to a certain market.

>Therefore the Wintroll's mission is a waste of
>time for Microsoft's side.  And it's damn good
>cheap advertising for Linux.  Because even
>the stupid don't buy it.

Any press is press for Linux.
People try Linux and decide for themselves and nothing on an advocacy
group is going to change that one bit.

>Why don't they buy it?

Linux?

That's rather obvious.
>Well try this.  A guy posts 10,000 fucking messages
>to COLA and Microsoft Newsgroups about why he
>has trouble installing Mandrake, why does Mandrake
>screw up on an upgrade, and the guy does this for
>2 straight years, most people view him as a fucking
>idiot!  They ask the question, why haven't you just
>gone back to Windows if you feel that way?  Why
>have you been posting messages for 2 straight years
>about your Linux troubles - AT HOME!  The man
>has a choice?  What is this?  Is this the twighlight
>ZONE!  Is the man locked in some kind of time tunnel!

The Mandrake upgrade was a disaster. It was discussed elsewhere as
well.
He, like others is trying to make Linux work for him. He reads the
press, buys the thing and without fail there is ALWAYS some kind of
gotcha with the program. Doesn't matter what distribution it is the
gotcha's may be different but they are there.

>And the more you think about this and the more
>you do the GOOGLE research you see that these
>same Linux badmouths have been posting bad things
>about Linux for years!  Why are they still experimenting?

Because Linux IS and experiment that is still growing in the
laboratory.

If and when it works on the desktop without all of the troubles and
compromises that must be made, it will become as boring as Win2k and
no advocacy or discussion will be needed.

I never post to MS groups unless the message I am replying to has been
cross posted.

Why?

Win2k is a bore as far as advocacy goes.

Why is that?

Because you slap a CD and it works. Plain and simple.

>What human being would give up all that Sports on
>the weekend television to post to COLA and MS newsgroups
>almost around the clock?  Why?  Why?  Why?

Sports is the middle classes Heroin.
Ever wonder why they have to have a pre-game show.
Instant reply over and over again during the game.
A post game show, discussing the game yet again.
And then the game is re-run on ESPN during the week

Ever wonder?

Because the IQ of the average American sports fanatic is about 75.
He/she knows every batting average of every player in the major
leagues but doesn't know who started WWII.

>Well some do it because they are like Pete Goodwin.
>They are fearfull of loosing their jobs working with
>Windows so they spend 100% of their spare time
>trashing Linux to help sway public opinion.

You're paranoid.

>Others are more sinister in nature.  They have such
>a broad range of comments, ususally linked to MS
>supported WEB SITES run by MS supported MEDIA that
>it's very obvious MS is paying them to duce us.

Any idea how I can get them to pay for my site?
Sarcasm on********************************************************

I was thinking of running a Pro-Linux web site and then purposely
having it crash all the time and provide terrible service just to show
Linux in action.

Sarcasm Off********************************************************

>And as an intelligent business person, what are
>you to say about all this activity?  Why would
>these people spend all their time glued to
>COLA and MS newsgroups posting every 5 minutes
>on average to every message put there?????

Multi tasking.

>That's alot of dedicated time.

Multi tasking.

>And that's why I say they are the best Linux
>advertising in the world.  They draw so
>much attention to the OS by doing so, and
>they don't even realize this.

I wonder how the Linvocates feel about your posting's Charlie?

>And I've asked them to quit doing it, but
>the more you ask them to quit, the more they
>go on and on and on.

I didn't know you owned USNET.

>Linux would win without their help.
>MS executives have resigned this year declaring
>Linux the leader.  They've started up their OWN
>Linux based companies to compete now.

Sources.

>Some of these executives were noted as the ones
>who drove MS to the top of the list in the first
>place.

Linux is a much more difficult sell.

>MS is a company which simply won't have an OS
>past 2005.  They will turn into an applications
>vendor and loose their position in the world.

Care to place a wager?

>And all the {WINTROLLS} as we call them, agree.
>That's why we see them posting every 5 minutes
>to anything posted to COLA in a positive nature.

I could care less what MS does. I'll move to Apple.

>I'll say it again.  It won't be the last time either...

That I believe.

>You have to be a total jackass to put your companies
>future in the hands of Microsoft.

Maybe you should take a full page ad in the Sunday NY Times?

flatfish