From: "Mike" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux beats Win2K (again)
Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 16:57:24 +0800

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Pete
Goodwin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Read it very carefully - I said Windows is more popular therefore it
> gets the device drivers.

I'm not arguing, at least not intentionally. I have a problem with the
circular logic - the popular OS gets the drivers, hence making it more
popular so it gets more drivers - but I guess that's not the point. It
does annoy me tho :-)

>> Mandrake != Linux. You do somewhat have a point here in my experience,
>> however. RedHat 6.2 to 7.0 broke in various stupid ways. 7.0 to 7.1
>> seems to have been painless. Windows upgrades are often quite painless,
>> but then again, it's also upgrading much less than a typical linux
>> system - large parts of which are nothing to do with the vendor.
> I thought someone else would agree with me, and shoot down T.Max
> Devlin's assertion in flames.

Glad to be of service. I have no doubts that this will improve, and my
experience has only been with RedHat. The distribution upgrade a friend
ran on his debian box worked flawlessly afaik (apart from bind spitting
the dummy at some zone files, but that's not linux's fault)

> You've quoted some aspects of Microsoft software that I am aware of and
> I agree with you. However, not all Microsoft software is "crapware". COM
> at its basics is a very elegant design - and it appears in Java too, at
> least in the form of interfaces.

Okay, I'll accept that not everything produced by Microsoft is crap. If it
was, it wouldn't be so popular - but I do think that a corporation with
the resources MS has available should be able to do a lot better.

>> Okay, I'll think of the IDE as civilisation. Think of the compiler
>> [gcc] as the people in the civilisation. Understand? I haven't eaten
>> yet, so I'll use another analogy - think of the IDE as icing on the
>> cake. The compiler is the cake. The cake does not need icing to be
>> useful, and in fact, the icing may make you sick if it's particularly
>> sugar-laden and you haven't eaten yet.
> I'd say "icing on the cake" is a bad analagy in this case.  Have you
> ever tried coding a GUI without a class library or an IDE? It takes a
> _lot_ longer and is a very slow process. Sure, you can do it, but why
> bother when there are IDE's and class libraries that make it much easier
> to do. I'd harldy call an IDE in this case "icing on the cake" but a
> necessity, if you want a job done quickly.

No argument here. Use the best tool for the job. My "job" very rarely
involves programming a GUI, which possibly explains my preferences. And
the icing's the bit that makes you want to eat the cake in the first
place, so I think it's a perfect analogy ;-)

>> Anyway, the point I really want to make here is that Visual C++ (or
>> your favourite civilisation of choice, but we'll stick with Microsoft
>> Civilisation [oo, Sid Meir would be pissed]) is a bloated, memory- [and
>> disc space-] hogging piece of crapware. It employs all sorts of
>> completely non-standard, let's-make-it-really-hard-to-port misfeatures,
>> and is the source of all that is Bad and Evil.
> And MFC (the class library) is not much better. However, I wasn't
> thinking of VC++ and MFC, but Borland's Delphi.

No experience, so no comment.

> Someone made the point that gcc is technologically as good as an IDE. I
> question this [in] the light of Delphi on Windows and Kylix on Linux.

Okay, I missed the part and I apologise. I still wonder what voice caused
them to make that point, however.

> Please go back and read what I've said about and IDE and classes. GUI's
> are hard things to create - they get easier with an IDE and good
> classes.

Point taken. GUI's are the scourge of mankind. But they're so pretty!

> I'm arguing that kernel rebuilds are an old requirement that ought not
> to be necessary on a well designed system. Interesting that only UNIXen
> have clung this style of upgrade whilst everyone else has moved on.

And I'm arguing that that's not neccessarily the case. I know RedHat's
upgrade installs an updated kernel for you, with no rebuilds. I would
assume other distributions probably would. But having the ability to
fine-tune the core of the OS is a useful feature for those that need to
get maximum performance out of their machines. Proprietary, closed-source
software simply doesn't allow this.

--
Mike.
Remove "-spam" to mail me. Not that you'd want to.

------------------------------

From: "rgs50" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,misc.invest.stocks
Subject: Re: INTEL"S ITANIUM DUE OUT TUES  !!!!!
Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 05:15:54 -0400

Then there are no killer OSs at all.

Robert G Smith

Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> rgs50 wrote:
> >
> > Yes,  Sun and IBM have VLSI chips but they do not have Microsoft in back
of
> > them producing a KILLER OS ( Windows 2000 TWO  or whistler or Win NT
64 ).

> Lose 2000, Lose2002, Mumbler, LoseNT, and LoseNT64 ...
> not a single "Killer OS" no that list
>
> So...try again.
>

> > There are also over 300 applications already ported to the Itanium with
over
> > 4,000 ( four thousand ) in the process of being ported  to Itanium.
Also
> > when the 386 was introduced it hit the market like a brick hitting a
plate
> > glass window and was selling at 50 % or more than the chips list price
> > because there was so much demand.]
>
> and your point is?
>
> The 386 sold fast because people wanted faster faster faster machines
> for every single desktop
>
> not so any more
>

> > Robert G Smith
> >
> > 2 + 2 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:9erv5h$ctg$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > >
> > > Snauk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...

> > > certainly

> > > Linux is one of Intel's biggest customers on the server. Also, the
Linux
> > > camp has the talent to develop the compilers that this chip requires.
> > >
> > > Of course, Itanium, if successful, is the VLIW successor for both
Windows

------------------------------

From: "Mart van de Wege" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Just when Linux starts getting good, Microsoft buries it in the dust!
Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 11:27:19 +0200

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "The Ghost
In The Machine" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: <snip>

> That said -- I think it will improve, and quickly.  Consider Konqueror.
> I've heard good things about it; at some point I'll have to get it. If
> it has SSL support, that would be muy neato. :-)  And a stable platform
> is a solid one.

<snip some more>

Konqueror has SSL support. You just have to install the package
'kdebase-crypto' to get it to work. Very nice indeed. I keep Konq around
for SSL sites, as I run a Gnome desktop and thus prefer Galeon, but I
haven't got SSL for Galeon yet.

Mart

--
Gimme back my steel, gimme back my nerve
Gimme back my youth for the dead man's curve

------------------------------

From: "Mart van de Wege" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 11:33:23 +0200

In article <9esfpd$6m9$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Unknown" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Let me see, I can either choose AIX-5L, HP-UX, Solaris, Linux 2.4 or
> Windows 64bit, which is unproven.  Most people know which one's I will
> consider in a large Itanium server roll out.  A clue for the clueless,
> it ain't Windows.
>
> Just because SUN and IBM don't advertise on the end luser magazines like
> .net or PCWorld, doesn't mean they no product's.  I guess your ignorance
> is due to too much exposure around Windows.
>
> Matthew Gardiner

Uh, Matthew,

I don't what you did, but your posts don't wrap at 76 nor even 80 colums
anymore. It is bloody annoying.

Thank you,

Mart

From: "Matthew Gardiner \(BOFH\)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 22:46:23 +1200

Don't beat me master, don't beat me, I swear I won't do it again ;)

Matthew Gardiner

--
I am the blue screen of death
Nobody can hear your screams
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Matthew Gardiner \(BOFH\)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux dead on the desktop.
Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 22:52:07 +1200

Chad Myers Balanced Reporting: Windows Rulez, Linux Sux <---- example of
Chads so-called balanced reporting.

Matthew Gardiners balanced reporting: Although Linux had made big inroads
into the desktop market, hardware comptibility is one of the number one
issues on the development radar <------ TRUE balanced reporting.

Notice the difference?

Matthew Gardiner

--

------------------------------

From: "Mart van de Wege" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Opera
Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 12:54:42 +0200

In article <1104_990887593@terry>, "Terry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Many of you seem to be having troubles with your browsers and the
> features some of them have. If you want a really useful, Linux compliant
> browser, try Opera.

I just downloaded it to try it. It is good, but it's only claim to fame
is a low memory footprint. I have both Galeon (using the Mozilla's Gecko
rendering engine) and Opera open at the moment, displaying the same page,
and the memory footprint is:

13M Opera
24M Galeon

Difference is that Galeon has Java activated. Without Java Galeon is
about as large as Opera IIRC (haven't used Galeon without Java for ages).
There is *no* noticable difference in rendering speed. I tried a few
pages with Galeon, pure Mozilla, Konqueror and Opera. All are about the
same speed, the only loser is Mozilla because of some lag in UI
interactivity. One note: I cheated on Galeon/Mozilla, I compiled both
from source using a gcc 3.0 snapshot and optimization turned on, and it
makes a noticable difference. Vanilla Mozilla binaries will be slightly
slower I think (haven't tried them).
So if you don't want non-Free (as in speech) software on your machine,
avoid Opera like the plague. If you don't mind, try it, it has its good
points.

Mart

From: "Mart van de Wege" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 12:58:45 +0200

In article <9etael$v31$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Unknown" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Don't beat me master, don't beat me, I swear I won't do it again ;)
>
> Matthew Gardiner
>
> --
> I am the blue screen of death
> Nobody can hear your screams
> ----
> I am the resident BOFH if you don't like it go rm -rf /home/luser
> yourself
> "Mart van de Wege" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>> I don't what you did, but your posts don't wrap at 76 nor even 80
>> colums anymore. It is bloody annoying.
>>
>> Thank you,
>>
>> Mart

Don't worry Matthew, it is partly my fault for wanting to read messages
in the preview pane. That makes it easier to navigate a group with the
keyboard, but it presumes that everyone has a sane linewrap.
Thanks anyway for being considerate,

Mart

From: "Matthew Gardiner \(BOFH\)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,misc.invest.stocks
Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 22:58:08 +1200

> Then there are no killer OSs at all.
>
> Robert G Smith

Yes there are, Solaris, HP-UX, Linux 2.4 and AIX-5L, all of them are
Itanium ready, and ready to roll.  Windows isn't even ready yet!

Matthew Gardiner

From: Ketil Z Malde <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 11:43:24 GMT

Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Yet Linux supports less hardware than Windows does.

Which Windows is that?  Linux has always been better than NT at
supporting hardware.  Win9x did/does support a few things better than
either, but calling it more "technically advanced" because of that has
to be a joke.

Perhaps Windows 2000?  I haven't had the opportunity to try it out,
but from what I hear, its a bit picky about hardware as well.

And it's only true if you equal hardware with "PC peripherals".  Linux
support anything from wrist watches to mainframes.

-kzm

From: pip <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: RIP the Linux desktop
Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 13:06:15 +0100

"Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:
> Scotland Yard has been fudging the data for years, by Only reporting
> CONVICTIONS, not crimes reported.
>
> Your crime rate is roughly 5x higher than previously reported,
> and, in fact, you are MUCH more likely to be the victim of a
> burglary, mugging, assault, or murder than the same crime in
> the United States

That's the funniest thing I've heard all day! I think I'll take my
chances thanks, lest my grandpa accidentally blows my head off with a
gun from his personal military grade arsenal.