From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (D J Stewart)
Subject: Re: Why Linux Is no threat to Windows domination of the desktop
Date: 31 May 2001 09:11:15 GMT

On 31 May 2001 01:44:11 GMT, Chris Belway <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Ray, its time to admit to yourself that you are a homersexual and come out
                                                   ^^^^^^^^^^^

Is this a Simpsons thing?

--
Dave Stewart

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dan Pidcock)
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft
Subject: Re: Microsoft - WE DELETE YOU!
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 09:21:39 GMT

On Wed, 30 May 2001 17:45:45 -0700, The Queen of Cans and Jars
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Michael Marion wrote:
>  Many
>> are moving to using WTS instead as they're tired of yet another box in their
>> room that spews heat, makes noise, and takes up space.
>
>WTS = ?

Windows terminal server.  Allows you to have a thin client and the
processing done on a Windows server.  Yes like X.
Clients could be diskless - not sure what CPU they would go down to to
be fanless: Transmeta Crusoe maybe?

Dan
remove .hatespam to reply

------------------------------

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux beats Win2K (again)
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 11:50:58 +0100

>> Look at the posst where i accused you of the same thing in the "Oopsie"
>> thead. if you will follow them through, you will find the examples.
>
> My server no longer has the Oopsie threads, so how am I supposed to
> follow it? I could go and look it up on Google but that means trawling
> through quite a large number of replies.

Same here.

> All I'm asking you to do is post _one_ example. You seem singularly
> unable to do that, so I conclude they don't exist.

No, I am quite able and did so on numerous occasions in the Oopsie
thread. Since you ignored them then, I'm not going to wastye time
trawling through google to prove you wrong again, just for you to ignore
me and claim I'm lying in another 6 months whan I make the same assertion.

> It can't be that hard for you to prove me wrong, so why not try?

I've done it before, and you ignored me. Why should I waste my time again?

>> > you are unwilling (or just plain unable) then I think I can safely
>> > conclude that you are LYING.
>>
>> I have provided you with an example above. I can't be bothered to
>> follow it through, but it is there if you want it. Last time I spent
>> time following through on a therad liek this, you ignored it.
>
> You have only provided a name of a thread that no longer exists on my
> server.

That's where plenty of prime examples lie.

>> Before accusing me of being a liar, you better check that I'm lying
>> (which I'm not).
>
> Then why can't you post an example of where I went wrong? Seems simple
> enough. I can't get at the post, so why can't you post it?

I don't have the oopsie thread either. Besides, I *did* post examples
_then_ and you ignored them. You'll do the same again.

>> Now, I know that you're not going to follow the pointert above. Why
>> not? Think you'll find something you don't like?
>
> I think I would find no such thing. I think you're lying.

Well, you think wrong (for a change).

> C'mon just one example of what you're talking about.

You'll only ignore them again.

--
(You can't go wrong with psycho-rats.)               (u98ejr)(@)(ecs.ox)(.ac.uk)

/d{def}def/f{/Times-Roman findfont s scalefont setfont}d/s{10}d/r{roll}d f 5 -1
r 230 350 moveto 0 1 179{2 1 r dup show 2 1 r 88 rotate 4 mul 0 rmoveto}for/s 15
d f pop 240 420 moveto 0 1 3 {4 2 1 r sub -1 r show}for showpage

------------------------------

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 11:54:25 +0100

>> > And how many of them are likely to be affordable on the mass market
>> > (except m68k)?
>>
>> And ARM, or are you forgetting that there are a LOT of ARM processors
>> around these days?
>
> Since my old Archimedes is ARM, I take your point, however, other than
> the now defunct Archimedes, can you point to one mass market desktop PC
> using ARM?
>
> PDA's like Psion's series 5 use ARM.

I didn't realise you were referring to the desktop  market only. I was
refering to the large PDA market. As an aside, Acorn did make the RISC PC
based on the StrongARM (and very good it was too), but sadly it is
defunct also.

>> > Slow is the right word. X Windows on my system crawls.
>>
>> Yeah, but you have a cursed system. I have a P133 and it is easily fast
>> enough.
>
> I have a Voodoo 5500. I think that's enough explanation.

:-)

>> > An antiquated design that was left behind by more modern OS's since
>> > then.
>>
>> The same could be said of many things in NT as well.
>
> Yean, BeOS was an interesting design. Shame it never went anywhere.

Well, all OS's have old bits in them as well as new. Hurd is also a very
interesting design and so is Plan9. If you want really modern OSs, there
are plenty to choose from.

-ed

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 12:01:12 +0100

>>Ray, its time to admit to yourself that you are a homersexual and come
>>out
>                                                    ^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> Is this a Simpsons thing?

I think it went something like this:

(over the phone)
Bart:           Is Homer in the bar, er, Homer Sexual?
Mo (to bar):    Is there a homersexual in the bar?
Bar:            Ha ha ha ha ha!
Bart:           Ha ha ha ha ha!
Mo:             Oh, its you again. Why you little...

-Ed

From: Nils Zonneveld <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: linux bums at ogl game half life
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 12:15:15 +0200

Rod wrote:

> i am new to linux ,
> quite satisfied with my suse install.
> but im gonna have to keep duel booting with winblows cos i like to play
> half life ,
> more so the cs mod.

Could you provide some English translation?

Nils

------------------------------

From: "Mart van de Wege" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: The beginning of the end for microsoft
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 12:24:15 +0200

In article <RsdR6.4508$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Erik Funkenbusch"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> "Ray Chason" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in
> message
>
>> That said, I think the release of Windows XP will be the biggest flop
>> since Bob.  It won't be the end of Microsoft, not by a long shot, but
>> Microsoft is setting up itself the bomb.  The hype coming from
>> Microsoft and its various mouthpieces is that XP is the greatest thing
>> since W95, yet I have seen nothing concrete that would make me want to
>> upgrade.
>
> That depends on your perspective.  Are you telling me that having a
> consumer OS based on NT isn't a huge upgrade for people coming from the
> Win9x line?
>
> Linux users are always bitching about Win9x's stability and how they
> prefer Linux because of it, now you're going to say that this stability
> isn't worth upgrading?

Erik,

I'd like your opinion on a few thoughts I have been having lately. I do
think that XP is going to throw an enormous dent into Microsofts marketing
efforts, and it might even be a direct cause of a loss of some
marketshare. Here's why:

1. The major problems with Windows 9x are caused by the fact that it is
essentially a single-user system, thus always running as
root/administrator effectively, thus making it easier for one app to screw
up the entire system (and therefore making viruses more destructive).
These problems have tainted 9x's reputation to the point that even the
most dedicated Microsoft advocate will call them crap.

2. XP will be a true multiuser system since it is basically NT for the
consumer market. NT, whatever it's faults is a true multiuser system,
making it impossible for a user-space app to fsck the system (if well set
up of course).

3. Microsoft has always sold Windows in the consumer market on the fact
that it makes computing easier. Since everyone who has only the slightest
bit of computer experience has used Windows, it is familiar to almost
100% of computer users.

4. Here comes the first hitch: On 9x installing an app was just a matter
of clicking setup and follow the wizards. On XP, you will have to log in
as administrator just to install software. So MS breaks the paradigm of
'just sit down and work' by requiring its users to now manage at least
two user-IDs per computer (admin and regular user).

5. Of course, we all know that most consumers just will run XP as admin
to avoid the hassle, thereby bringing back all the original problems of
9x (see point 1 above).

Effectively, XP is only an improvement if you administer it well, thus
increasing it's complexity, otherwise it will appear no different to 9x,
and creating the perception in people that its launch *was* all hype.

Thoughts anyone?

Mart

--
Gimme back my steel, gimme back my nerve
Gimme back my youth for the dead man's curve

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry Porter)
Date: 31 May 2001 10:22:30 GMT

On Thu, 31 May 2001 09:24:15 +0100,
Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

<snip>

> Ah I see what you mean. You mean control of windows. I had noticed you
> can drag around a window in Linux when its process is hung, something
> you can't do on Windows. However, that's not a huge advantage. I have
> seen you can kill a window on X but leave its process still hung and
> running. I think the same is possible on Windows.

If Windows had a native process display, then you would know.

With Linux if an app hangs and its window is unusable, one can easily find
the process and kill it.

<snip>
>> You bit! :-)  But what is the "advanced design" that Windows is using?
>
> No need to rebuild the kernel.

Thats not an example of advanced, its an example of limitation.

--
Kind Regards
Terry

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: aaron kulkis steals his brother ian turdboy's crack pipe
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 06:46:35 -0400

jet wrote:

> Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > chrisv wrote:

> > > Okay, change "on every subject imaginable" to "on nearly every subject
> > > which arises in this newsgroup, and in which most of, you are very
> > > much out of your depth."

> languages.
> > >
> > > Wow, I'm really impressed.  I'm surprised that you haven't claimed
> > > fluency in Chinese, then refused to provide proof (you'd just say
> > > "jump"), just like many of your other claims.

> > > It didn't.  Your anal, literal interpretation of what I wrote just
> > > made you look like an idiot bent on ignoring my point.
> >
> > Are you saying that I should interpret your words in some way
> > other than what you wrote?
> >

> > Do what you say.  Say what you mean.  One thing leads to another.
>
> You mean like you are going to take Steve Chaney to court like you said you
> would?

There's no point in a libel suit against a man who no longer has any credibility.

do the fucking math.

> LOL.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.